Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM, EQS & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

This thread is dedicated to questions, discussion, and answers, requests for calculation verification, assistance, input, etc. about earning
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) for travel as of 1 Jan 2016
  • Award / Redeemable Miles (RDM) for travel as of 1 Aug 2016
  • Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) fof travel as of 1 Jan 2017
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS)

See the relevant threads in the Wikipost for basic and specific information relating to these topics.

/Moderation team

Relevant threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016 ("Just the facts" Q&A, discussion, of new changes)

Link to AAdvantage spreadsheet /spreadsheets & apps available for download

Can I See / Estimate EQD / EQM / RDM After Booking, Before Flying?

No. You can see your estimated EQD - EQM - RDM earnings for AA marketed flights once you have selected flights on AA.com before you book, and you can see all your actual earnings once you have flown and the flights have posted to your AAdvantage account.

If you use a tool to break down your trip so you can see your base fare and carrier imposed fees you can calculate your estimated EQD (for those flights earning EQD using that method, AA marketed flights). For estimated EQM and RDM you can calculate based on flown miles, fare class credit, etc.

For further information, see aa.com:

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link

Q. Will I be able to view my expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American and by other airlines online?

A. You will be able to view your expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American Airlines. Trips including flights marketed by other airlines will not display your expected earnings at this time.

Q. Where can I see how many award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits I can expect to earn for my trip on aa.com?

A. This information is displayed on aa.com after you’ve selected your flights, just prior to purchasing your reservation, on the Review and Pay page.

Q. Will promotional bonuses from special offers be included in the AAdvantage® earnings displayed?

A. No, promotional bonuses will only be displayed when your flight is posted to your account.

Q. Do I need to include my AAdvantage® number in order to view my expected earnings?

A. Yes, you will need to include your AAdvantage® number at the time of booking to view your expected earnings.

Q. Can I retrieve my expected earnings after I’ve purchased my trip online or for reservations booked elsewhere that can be viewed online?

A. No, you will only be able to view your expected earnings prior to purchasing your ticket on the Review and Pay page online.

Q. Why are the earnings shown referred to as estimates and expected earnings?

A. Award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits shown could differ from what you actually earn if you change your ticket, your elite status level changes or due to currency fluctuations for purchases not made in USD.

FT: Q. What are the rules governing earning AAdvantage miles etc. on codeshares?

1. AA codeshares earn as if you were flying AA, regardless of which airline operates them.

2. oneworld airline codeshares operated by oneworld airlines earn according to the marketing airline (airline whose flight is being flown, e.g. CX operated by JL earns as CX. oneworld marketed flights (codeshares) operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EI operated by BA, do not earn AAdvantage miles. Other airline-marketed flights operated by AA earn as if you were flying the marketing airline.

3. Exceptions include Qantas/ QF codeshares operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EY, FJ, etc.; many JL flights operated by non-oneworld airlines and some AY flights operated by non-oneworld airlines do earn AAdvantage miles.

4. Where you buy your tickets is irrelevant.

The 2017 thread can be read here.

The 2016 thread can be read here.

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM, EQS & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
Then why does it matter now?
Because it appeared to be incorrect upon a previously incorrect EQM calculation, which i understand now that it is in fact correct, and since I had the record opened for investigation made sense to look at.

<redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 11, 2018 at 2:35 pm Reason: Redacted Rules-violating attack
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by usafltg
Because it appeared to be incorrect upon a previously incorrect EQM calculation, which i understand now that it is in fact correct, and since I had the record opened for investigation made sense to look at.

<redacted>.
I gotta say, skunker's confusion at your post strikes me as very understandable. You're on a website full of frequent-flyer junkies who spend inordinate amounts of time maximizing their intake and usage of award miles. The switch from mileage-based earning to $$-based earning was probably the biggest and most consequential change for the average FlyerTalker in frequent-flyer-program history. So I would view the opposition you're getting through that lens.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of EXPs have no idea how the program works or how they earn miles. Heck, as far as I can tell, there are plenty of folks out there who fly and spend enough to be EXP but who can't be bothered to sign up for a frequent flyer program.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 11, 2018 at 2:36 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of EXPs have no idea how the program works or how they earn miles. Heck, as far as I can tell, there are plenty of folks out there who fly and spend enough to be EXP but who can't be bothered to sign up for a frequent flyer program.
There are CK's who don't know how they came to be CK or even what it entails as far as benefits go.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by enpremiere
There are CK's who don't know how they came to be CK or even what it entails as far as benefits go.
Based on the CK thread, I think we can agree that there isn't a set, published standard for getting CK.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:36 am

AA EDQs/EQMs - final leg to DUB rebooked on Aer Lingus as BA codeshare

I was just on an AA round trip booked via Chase points - originally was DCA-PHL-DUB and then the identical/opposite return. The very first leg to PHL was drastically delayed so AA rebooked us as DCA-JFK-LHR-DUB. Due to delays at JFK, we missed the LHR-DUB connection on BA and so the AA desk at LHR rebooked us on an Aer Lingus to DUB flight that was a BA codeshare.

I have received my EQDs/EQMs for DCA-JFK and JFK-LHR (and since we got rebooked in Y we got a big boost compared to what we were going to get as an O special fare through Chase). However, I am wondering if I am entitled to any EDQs or EQMs on the Aer Lingus LHR-DUB flight since it was a BA codeshare? It has been ten days since that flight (we have already returned to the US on the DUB-PHL-DCA legs as originally planned and those points posted the next day). Even though AA doesn't give anything for Aer Lingus, does my flight being a codeshare on BA mean I should have some points post? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on British Airways marketed and operated flights as well as British Airways codeshare flights operated by oneworld®carriers and affiliates
Since the Aer Lingus flight is not a oneworld operated flight you will not get any miles for the BA codeshare.

If you have a BA or other Avios account you might be able to credit it there for a few points though.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by oigroig43
I was just on an AA round trip booked via Chase points - originally was DCA-PHL-DUB and then the identical/opposite return. The very first leg to PHL was drastically delayed so AA rebooked us as DCA-JFK-LHR-DUB. Due to delays at JFK, we missed the LHR-DUB connection on BA and so the AA desk at LHR rebooked us on an Aer Lingus to DUB flight that was a BA codeshare.

I have received my EQDs/EQMs for DCA-JFK and JFK-LHR (and since we got rebooked in Y we got a big boost compared to what we were going to get as an O special fare through Chase). However, I am wondering if I am entitled to any EDQs or EQMs on the Aer Lingus LHR-DUB flight since it was a BA codeshare? It has been ten days since that flight (we have already returned to the US on the DUB-PHL-DCA legs as originally planned and those points posted the next day). Even though AA doesn't give anything for Aer Lingus, does my flight being a codeshare on BA mean I should have some points post? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
You won't get anything posted automatically (as mentioned above), however due to the delays and rebooking, if you call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservations number) you can put in a request for Original Routing Credit (ORC).

FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (master thd)
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Why not just for original routing credit for the missed segments?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Why not just for original routing credit for the missed segments?
Perhaps because of this:
and since we got rebooked in Y we got a big boost compared to what we were going to get as an O special fare through Chase
So ORC would likely not be a net win. (When the rebooked flights are credited to a *different* program, then one can double dip with ORC, but that doesn't seem to apply here -- it's one or the other.)
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You won't get anything posted automatically (as mentioned above), however due to the delays and rebooking, if you call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservations number) you can put in a request for Original Routing Credit (ORC).
I feel like an ORC would hurt me more than help - I almost certainly flew more "true" miles by routing DCA-JFK-LHR alone (even without the LHR-DUB leg) instead of the original DCA-PHL-DUB. And, I already earned WAAAAY more EQDs/EQMs by being rebooked in Y class vs. the original O class and I'd be afraid that an ORC would knock me back down to O (not sure on this point, just speculating). It's probably less than 100 EQD's and 500 EQM's so probably best to just let it be...
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Perhaps because of this:

So ORC would likely not be a net win. (When the rebooked flights are credited to a *different* program, then one can double dip with ORC, but that doesn't seem to apply here -- it's one or the other.)
Yep, was posting as you were posting - I'm thinking it's best to let it be and be glad I got an unplanned boost that will help me reach Platinum this year... original O special fare would have been 755 EDQs total and I ended up with 1,257. Not bad at all.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:06 am

Yep, was posting as you were posting - I'm thinking it's best to let it be and be glad I got an unplanned boost that will help me reach Platinum this year... original O special fare would have been 755 EDQs total and I ended up with 1,257. Not bad at all.
Oh, and we only paid $419 in Chase points per person!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Keep the big boost OR request Original Routing Credit, because there’s no way younearn anything AA flying a BA marketed flight operated by a non-oneworld airline (such as EI).
enpremiere likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by skunker
Based on the CK thread, I think we can agree that there isn't a set, published standard for getting CK.
Absolutely. Now that I re-read my comment, I see that it wasn't clear -

I think that it can be said that it's via corporate nomination/travel contract (not social media influencer status) or extreme BIS/spend (in a given market?) but I'd venture that among those that have CK who aren't ultra-heavy travel/spenders, they're not all all aware as to how they came to have it.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Explorist Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive Elite, UA Silver
EQD Question?

I thought I knew this stuff... guess not... I was reviewed my year to date EQDs/EQM as I plan my final few trips of the year and got confused on the EQDs of a trip that I flew the first leg of on 09/02 MIL-LAX and have the return on 11/23, so I am trying to figure out how much the LAX-MIL (actually LHR not taking the last leg) will earn in EQDs... below are some of the details

Here is what posted after the first flight EQM EQD
MXP - MIA
Sep 2, 2018 • AA 0207 • Economy (L) 4,931 432
Posted: Sep 3, 2018
Method: Fare

MIA - LAX
Sep 2, 2018 • AA 0314 • Economy (L) 2,342 139
Posted: Sep 3, 2018
Method: Fare

So the total EQD were 571

Here is the fare info from an email I dug up...

FARE - EUR 446.00
EQUIV FARE - USD 515.00
TAXES & CARRIER IMPOSED FEES 376.91

I "thought" EQDs are the fare less taxes/fees, I was booked through AA so don't think its a special fare.... What will I earn on the return????? any guesses??? Thanks in advance... It matters because I have a long haul J flight I would rather credit to Alaska than AA if I can, i.e. this return earns EQDs....

AMERICAN AIRLINES
LAX Los Angeles
Nov 23, 2018
09:00 AM
JFK New York
Nov 23, 2018
05:23 PM
V
Snack

AMERICAN AIRLINES
JFK New York
Nov 23, 2018
10:25 PM
LHR London
Nov 24, 2018
10:30 AM
V
Dinner
Breakfast

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.