Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM, EQS & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

This thread is dedicated to questions, discussion, and answers, requests for calculation verification, assistance, input, etc. about earning
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) for travel as of 1 Jan 2016
  • Award / Redeemable Miles (RDM) for travel as of 1 Aug 2016
  • Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) fof travel as of 1 Jan 2017
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS)

See the relevant threads in the Wikipost for basic and specific information relating to these topics.

/Moderation team

Relevant threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016 ("Just the facts" Q&A, discussion, of new changes)

Link to AAdvantage spreadsheet /spreadsheets & apps available for download

Can I See / Estimate EQD / EQM / RDM After Booking, Before Flying?

No. You can see your estimated EQD - EQM - RDM earnings for AA marketed flights once you have selected flights on AA.com before you book, and you can see all your actual earnings once you have flown and the flights have posted to your AAdvantage account.

If you use a tool to break down your trip so you can see your base fare and carrier imposed fees you can calculate your estimated EQD (for those flights earning EQD using that method, AA marketed flights). For estimated EQM and RDM you can calculate based on flown miles, fare class credit, etc.

For further information, see aa.com:

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link

Q. Will I be able to view my expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American and by other airlines online?

A. You will be able to view your expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American Airlines. Trips including flights marketed by other airlines will not display your expected earnings at this time.

Q. Where can I see how many award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits I can expect to earn for my trip on aa.com?

A. This information is displayed on aa.com after you’ve selected your flights, just prior to purchasing your reservation, on the Review and Pay page.

Q. Will promotional bonuses from special offers be included in the AAdvantage® earnings displayed?

A. No, promotional bonuses will only be displayed when your flight is posted to your account.

Q. Do I need to include my AAdvantage® number in order to view my expected earnings?

A. Yes, you will need to include your AAdvantage® number at the time of booking to view your expected earnings.

Q. Can I retrieve my expected earnings after I’ve purchased my trip online or for reservations booked elsewhere that can be viewed online?

A. No, you will only be able to view your expected earnings prior to purchasing your ticket on the Review and Pay page online.

Q. Why are the earnings shown referred to as estimates and expected earnings?

A. Award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits shown could differ from what you actually earn if you change your ticket, your elite status level changes or due to currency fluctuations for purchases not made in USD.

FT: Q. What are the rules governing earning AAdvantage miles etc. on codeshares?

1. AA codeshares earn as if you were flying AA, regardless of which airline operates them.

2. oneworld airline codeshares operated by oneworld airlines earn according to the marketing airline (airline whose flight is being flown, e.g. CX operated by JL earns as CX. oneworld marketed flights (codeshares) operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EI operated by BA, do not earn AAdvantage miles. Other airline-marketed flights operated by AA earn as if you were flying the marketing airline.

3. Exceptions include Qantas/ QF codeshares operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EY, FJ, etc.; many JL flights operated by non-oneworld airlines and some AY flights operated by non-oneworld airlines do earn AAdvantage miles.

4. Where you buy your tickets is irrelevant.

The 2017 thread can be read here.

The 2016 thread can be read here.

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM, EQS & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:28 pm

This may help with figuring out how AA credits miles earned on LATAM: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...s.jsp#afteraug
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by 777lover
Not knowing how the fare broke out on this, I am guessing that the aa segments received a % of the fare based on the mileage that was actually on AA. And then the latam piece earned based on the actual flight miles x the distance.
+1

AA credits "true" EQD only on segments with AA flight numbers -- not based on mileage, but on the fare components of the individual legs. From the look of it, OP received calculated fare of the AA legs as EQD, and 5% of the GRU-POA mileage as EQD on LATAM. About $100 of the fare seems to have been attributed to the GRU-POA leg, but that's not how EQD are credited on partner flights (sometimes this works in your favor, especially with cheap premium economy fares; sometimes not, as the OP's case shows).
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:19 am

The LATAM fare was Q, so it only earns 5% EQD's. Unfortunately I had no control over what they booked me into on the partner flight. To be more fair and make it easier to figure out how much you'll earn, if the whole thing is booked with AA, the EQD's should be calculated based on what you paid for the fare. Obviously they can do it however they want though.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
It can be great though, so there's always a positive and a negative. Just do a quick mileage run before those flights.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by chitink
It can be great though, so there's always a positive and a negative. Just do a quick mileage run before those flights.
Well I didn't get charged for the checked bag which is all I really cared about anyway. I have 4 domestic flights here over the next week, 2 of which are today, but I should get platinum after the 3rd flight if my calculations are right. I e-mailed AA and this was their response, which is exactly as others have said:

I know elite credits are important to you, and that you are really
working hard to reach Platinum status for next year. I looked into your
LATAM flight to see why you received such low EQDs for that flight. Your
American Airlines portion of that itinerary did post proper EQDs.

What I found is that your LATAM flight was booked in booking code Q. I'm
sorry, but that discounted ticket only earns 5% EQDs per mile flown.
That is why you did not earn the expected amount of EQDs for your
itinerary.

I'm very sorry for this disappointing news. LATAM has a chart on aa.com
which shows how many EQMs/EQDs are earned for each booking class.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: AA PPro
Can one of the more experienced folks check my math. I' m trying to get to EP this year and this is in december.

Flying YVR-NRT-TPE and return on JAL, booked on JAL
Outbound class is X and D and return is all I.
I think that X and D earn 25% of EDG on mileage flown and I earns only 14% of mile. so at 6010 each way, that would be 1502 EQD on outbound and 841 on return.

Did I get that correct? Thanks in advance
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Can one of the more experienced folks check my math. I' m trying to get to EP this year and this is in december.

Flying YVR-NRT-TPE and return on JAL, booked on JAL
Outbound class is X and D and return is all I.
I think that X and D earn 25% of EDG on mileage flown and I earns only 14% of mile. so at 6010 each way, that would be 1502 EQD on outbound and 841 on return.

Did I get that correct? Thanks in advance
Looks correct to me.
tfizzle likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA PPro
I'm going to be about 150 EQM short for EP after all my trips. I do have to repositioning flight from PDX to YVR. the flight on alaska is $129, but bookable on aa.com from $329, but as I understand it no EQM for booking the cheaper fare.
AA only flies directly PDX to LAX, PHX, DFW, CLT and ORD. Any thoughts from the crowd about how to earn EQM-I'm flying almost every weekend until december 19 and can get away the rest of the time.

I still have one or two flights to book, should I just pay for a higher class fare?

Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by tfizzle
I'm going to be about 150 EQM short for EP after all my trips. I do have to repositioning flight from PDX to YVR. the flight on alaska is $129, but bookable on aa.com from $329, but as I understand it no EQM for booking the cheaper fare.
AA only flies directly PDX to LAX, PHX, DFW, CLT and ORD. Any thoughts from the crowd about how to earn EQM-I'm flying almost every weekend until december 19 and can get away the rest of the time.

I still have one or two flights to book, should I just pay for a higher class fare?

Thanks
The AS marketed flight won’t earn you anything; the AA marketed flight will earn as if you were flying AA.

But you’re right: for convenience, see which future flight you can book in a higher cabin for 2 EQM per mile, etc. at the lowest price difference.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:27 pm

Does UL coded EY earn anything?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:20 am

EXP - Award Mileage Messed up???

Hey guys,

I had a flight on AA back on 9/22 that I already have to call the Award desk on once, because the EXPs earned were completely messed up. However.... now looking at this.... the Award mileage given also look completely wrong to me.

I am an EXP, and I "thought" that regardless of fare (booking code) purchased, the base mileage should equal the segment mileage and then the bonus award miles are equal to 120% of the base.

However, if you look at the image attached, The base miles are reflected "grossly" under, even on the Premium Economy Fares (P). What's going on here???

Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I'm not sure how you became an EXP and not know how AA credits their own flights.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

The "120% bonus" referenced for EXP is above the base member earning, not an actual bonus like the old days. An actual 120% bonus does apply to most oneworld carriers though.
GWFan likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by usafltg
Hey guys,

I had a flight on AA back on 9/22 that I already have to call the Award desk on once, because the EXPs earned were completely messed up. However.... now looking at this.... the Award mileage given also look completely wrong to me.

I am an EXP, and I "thought" that regardless of fare (booking code) purchased, the base mileage should equal the segment mileage and then the bonus award miles are equal to 120% of the base.

However, if you look at the image attached, The base miles are reflected "grossly" under, even on the Premium Economy Fares (P). What's going on here???

The base miles (under award column) equal 5 times eligible fares, which should be the same with your EQD. Your EQM is the actual mileage times multiplier (0.5 to 3) regardless of fares paid.
47 fares * 5 = 235 base award miles, 235 * 120% = 282, for example. You can re-calculate the other rows.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by skunker
I'm not sure how you became an EXP and not know how AA credits their own flights.
Because i don't "generally" care about the award miles. If i'm traveling somewhere, it's 99.9% business. Not pleasure. Vactioning somewhere, I take my own plane and fly myself to whereever i'm going. My knowledge of how I get credited for Award Points has no bearing on "how i could have ever become an EXP"... irrelevant.
schwachs likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by usafltg
Because i don't "generally" care about the award miles. If i'm traveling somewhere, it's 99.9% business. Not pleasure. Vactioning somewhere, I take my own plane and fly myself to whereever i'm going. My knowledge of how I get credited for Award Points has no bearing on "how i could have ever become an EXP"... irrelevant.
Then why does it matter now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.