Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK 2017: Earning EQD, EQM & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK 2017: Earning EQD, EQM & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I originally booked an award on United, but due to IRROPS, I got them to rebook (interline/rule 240) me on AA. I added my AAdvantage number at OLCI. Can AA see that this was an award ticket? Did UA actually pay AA for my ticket? I didn't receive any miles for it yet (flew on Monday). Will I actually get anything? Can AA see how much I originally paid for this ticket? United rebooked me in full Y on AA (or at least it appeared that way). Ticket number is a UA (016) ticket number, but not my original ticket number when I booked on UA. The Request Missing Mileage form does not take United (016) as an airline code.

Am I eligible to earn anything? If so, how do I request the miles if they don't post?

Last edited by diburning; Nov 2, 2017 at 10:48 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Do flights with an AS flight number purchased through AS but operated on Virgin America earn EQDs? The language on aa.com seems to suggest no, but I wanted to double check since the flight numbers are AS flight numbers and purchased through alaskaair.com
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, FB Gold
Originally Posted by bhomburg
Basically, yes. You'd earn a bit over 38k EQM, 50k RDM and 5k EQD. Discounted Premium Economy for long-distance flights on partners definitely is the new sweet spot under the new rules.
True...

...except for certain city pairs, on QR, when they have Business Class Companion Fares on offer (like NOW), or Festival fares. Or their many sporadic special fares that appear and disappear regularly.

On any of those, you can fly on their 2017 Skytrax World's Best Business Class, with equivalent or better EQM/EQD earnings, for what amounts to a discounted PE fare on other carriers.

Last edited by rdrnnr; Nov 2, 2017 at 8:52 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
SWU screwed me out of $323 EQDs!

So I have a bulk ticket that I paid about $800 for on AA 193/192 LAX-HKG booked in Q class (both legs) through my corp travel agent.

So this would earn me 726 EQDs for each flight based on the special fare page tab at 10% Distance.

Now my LAX-HKG leg cleared with my SWU, so apparently now that leg comes through as a revenue ticket and now my EQDs are just $403?

How come AA now knows the price if previously AA did not know the ticket price?

It seems the return segment is still coming through as a Bulk fare but AA is unable to see how many EQDs I'd earn based on distance? If the return doesn't clear, then what would I earn? One agent says it now comes through as a 0 fare BT (Bulk Ticket)? I mostly want to make sure the return ticket still earns EQMs as I need them for hitting 150K EQMs.

I previously flew a lot of LAX-SEA flights and got upgrades there via complimentary EXP upgrades but my tickets still came through as Special Fares. How come for SWUs, it's different?

Not that I'm complaining too much, I'm already at over 15K EQDs on the year, so this only has a minor dent on my upgrade priority. I did remove a waitlisted SWU from a flight next year so I can prevent from getting screwed on the EQDs.

Last edited by matrixwalker2012; Nov 2, 2017 at 9:13 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
<snip> Now my LAX-HKG leg cleared with my SWU, so apparently now that leg comes through as a revenue ticket and now my EQDs are just $403?
This behavior has been documented/referenced in some other threads as well and agree that it's very frustrating for someone that is trying to plan. This is a very unfortunate development and I suspect it would happen with a miles + copay upgrade as well.

Regards
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Hello,
First post here,
I am trying to maximize my EQM to hit EXP this year but am new to extensive international travel.
The question being on PHL-DOH / one-way.

I can book direct on QR or AA as a code share. $100 price difference. nbd.

Which way will I earn more EQM? I'm okay on EQD's

The numbers and percentages are not making it obvious.

I appreciate any clarification.

Dave
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by scubadu
This behavior has been documented/referenced in some other threads as well and agree that it's very frustrating for someone that is trying to plan. This is a very unfortunate development and I suspect it would happen with a miles + copay upgrade as well.

Regards
i think it still happens unpredictably only sometimes. I flew two trips this year both bulk with SWUs applied and still earned by distance.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:52 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
So I have a bulk ticket that I paid about $800 for on AA 193/192 LAX-HKG booked in Q class (both legs) through my corp travel agent.
I can't speak to corporate travel agent purchases, but AAVacations packages purchased in coach and upgraded with SWU still show up as as distance.

I would call them.

Cheers.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
what's a bulk ticket?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by audiodave1
Hello,
First post here,
I am trying to maximize my EQM to hit EXP this year but am new to extensive international travel.

Dave
What cabin and fare class? And welcome to flyertalk!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are you certain that it would have credited by distance without the upgrade?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Are you certain that it would have credited by distance without the upgrade?
Yes. My corporate agent has a special contract where we can get contract rates.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Hello,
First post here,

Not sure what is not obvious - the aa.com page lists the EQM earnings for all fare classes and for the same fare class it looks to me like you will always earn more with the AA flight#. For all fare classes (except basic economy) you earn between 1 and 3 times the number of miles, whereas with the QR flight# you would earn between 0.5 and 1.5 times the number of miles.

The partner flight# is only ever better for EQDs and RDMs (as they are distance-based) – does anyone know of any example where a partner flight# would be better for EQMs?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:37 pm

Hello,
First post here,

Dave
If you book on the AA flight number, then you can expect award miles based on price in dollars * 5 vs distance on QR

From the QR table at https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ines/qatar.jsp , can see that discount economy will earn base miles between 0.25 and 0.50 miles per mile flown, full economy at 1 and business/1st may be higher

for discount economy
If in G, N, S, Q, O, T, W - earning is 25%
PHL-DOH = 6,798 mi
If price on AA is $1360 or higher , the AA booking will earn more award miles
EQMs on QR would be 3399 vs 6798 on AA
EQDs would be 340 on QR
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:38 pm

Yes. My corporate agent has a special contract where we can get contract rates.
That doesn't necessarily mean that it is destined to earn by distance iirc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.