Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM, EQS & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

This thread is dedicated to questions, discussion, and answers, requests for calculation verification, assistance, input, etc. about earning
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) for travel as of 1 Jan 2016
  • Award / Redeemable Miles (RDM) for travel as of 1 Aug 2016
  • Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) fof travel as of 1 Jan 2017
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS)

See the relevant threads in the Wikipost for basic and specific information relating to these topics.

/Moderation team

Relevant threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016 ("Just the facts" Q&A, discussion, of new changes)

Link to AAdvantage spreadsheet /spreadsheets & apps available for download

Can I See / Estimate EQD / EQM / RDM After Booking, Before Flying?

No. You can see your estimated EQD - EQM - RDM earnings for AA marketed flights once you have selected flights on AA.com before you book, and you can see all your actual earnings once you have flown and the flights have posted to your AAdvantage account.

If you use a tool to break down your trip so you can see your base fare and carrier imposed fees you can calculate your estimated EQD (for those flights earning EQD using that method, AA marketed flights). For estimated EQM and RDM you can calculate based on flown miles, fare class credit, etc.

For further information, see aa.com:

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link

Q. Will I be able to view my expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American and by other airlines online?

A. You will be able to view your expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American Airlines. Trips including flights marketed by other airlines will not display your expected earnings at this time.

Q. Where can I see how many award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits I can expect to earn for my trip on aa.com?

A. This information is displayed on aa.com after you’ve selected your flights, just prior to purchasing your reservation, on the Review and Pay page.

Q. Will promotional bonuses from special offers be included in the AAdvantage® earnings displayed?

A. No, promotional bonuses will only be displayed when your flight is posted to your account.

Q. Do I need to include my AAdvantage® number in order to view my expected earnings?

A. Yes, you will need to include your AAdvantage® number at the time of booking to view your expected earnings.

Q. Can I retrieve my expected earnings after I’ve purchased my trip online or for reservations booked elsewhere that can be viewed online?

A. No, you will only be able to view your expected earnings prior to purchasing your ticket on the Review and Pay page online.

Q. Why are the earnings shown referred to as estimates and expected earnings?

A. Award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits shown could differ from what you actually earn if you change your ticket, your elite status level changes or due to currency fluctuations for purchases not made in USD.

FT: Q. What are the rules governing earning AAdvantage miles etc. on codeshares?

1. AA codeshares earn as if you were flying AA, regardless of which airline operates them.

2. oneworld airline codeshares operated by oneworld airlines earn according to the marketing airline (airline whose flight is being flown, e.g. CX operated by JL earns as CX. oneworld marketed flights (codeshares) operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EI operated by BA, do not earn AAdvantage miles. Other airline-marketed flights operated by AA earn as if you were flying the marketing airline.

3. Exceptions include Qantas/ QF codeshares operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EY, FJ, etc.; many JL flights operated by non-oneworld airlines and some AY flights operated by non-oneworld airlines do earn AAdvantage miles.

4. Where you buy your tickets is irrelevant.

The 2017 thread can be read here.

The 2016 thread can be read here.

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM, EQS & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
As per the above your PAR - HNL is showing as BA Ticket in which case you would get BA flight numbers on AA metal. So you would get EQD just like you would get for BA but this would be treated First Class.

I am a noob so I could be wrong!
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by srikp
As per the above your PAR - HNL is showing as BA Ticket in which case you would get BA flight numbers on AA metal. So you would get EQD just like you would get for BA but this would be treated First Class.

I am a noob so I could be wrong!
I also could be wrong--but I think this is incorrect. The AA flights have AA flight numbers and wouldn't go off the BA chart.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I've had mixed itineraries in the past and IIRC, they'll each (meaning each flight/segment) post according to the flight number. So the BA flight numbers will post according to the fare code and the AA flight numbers will post based on actual spend. I think the only questionable piece is how much (if any) of the YQ apportions over to the AA flight numbers to enhance the EQD earning. Not sure how you can know that - where would you book? On AA.com or BA.com?
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I've had mixed itineraries in the past and IIRC, they'll each (meaning each flight/segment) post according to the flight number. So the BA flight numbers will post according to the fare code and the AA flight numbers will post based on actual spend. I think the only questionable piece is how much (if any) of the YQ apportions over to the AA flight numbers to enhance the EQD earning. Not sure how you can know that - where would you book? On AA.com or BA.com?
If it's already booked, the Sabre PNR can be used to view the breakdown of EQS/EQD/EQM per segment via AACoRN (an AA agent can read them to you over the phone) -

If they don't know how, they would need to click on the Elite Qualifying Details under the Segment Level Information section to view this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by enpremiere
If it's already booked, the Sabre PNR can be used to view the breakdown of EQS/EQD/EQM per segment via AACoRN (an AA agent can read them to you over the phone) -

If they don't know how, they would need to click on the Elite Qualifying Details under the Segment Level Information section to view this.
Not booked yet.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The marketing carrier determines which chart one follows for EQ (and Bonus Mile) earnings. The operating carrier, as long as it’s a qualifying carrier, doesn’t, nor which airline sold or plated the ticket. AA operated by AA, BA or anyone earns as AA. BA operated by another one world carrier (including AA) will earn per the BA chart.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:34 pm

I decided that I would just book it because I can cancel for free within 24 hours (there's no hold option because of the BA flights). I tweeted AA and they told me that the total EQDs would be $2,215, which kind of sucks because the fare + surcharge is $2,303. Still though, I'm trying to decide if the flights themselves are a good deal. The one Hawaii segment alone would be $1,071--and would only be in I vs full J.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by donotblink
I decided that I would just book it because I can cancel for free within 24 hours (there's no hold option because of the BA flights). I tweeted AA and they told me that the total EQDs would be $2,215, which kind of sucks because the fare + surcharge is $2,303. Still though, I'm trying to decide if the flights themselves are a good deal. The one Hawaii segment alone would be $1,071--and would only be in I vs full J.
I mean, if you actually want/need to go to Paris and back to Hawaii then it's a fantastic deal to get all those flights in business for $2400.

If, however, you're just looking for a mileage run to earn EQDs then no, the EQD ratio per dollar isn't that great.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by donotblink
AA’s more generous partner earnings don’t kick in your favor for EQDs until you hit true long hauls so that short hop across the pond versus BA marketed flights (even on AA metal) to LAX or SFO would help a bit more.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:37 am

Hi,

Please forgive my ignorance to the subject of EQDs and EQMs on partner vs AA. I'm looking at 2 flights currently. LAX-HKT. One is China Southern in J and the other would be AA in J.

The AA flight is $1k more than the China Southern and would earn me 32k EQMs and $2700 EQDs if I'm reading correctly. I did a mileage calculator for the China Southern flight and with the 50% bonus it says it would earn me 52k+ EQMs, but I wouldn't earn any EQDs.

My questions are, is that a correct assumption? Are the extra miles worth it without the dollars?

Thank you.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by JayFarber
Hi,

Please forgive my ignorance to the subject of EQDs and EQMs on partner vs AA. I'm looking at 2 flights currently. LAX-HKT. One is China Southern in J and the other would be AA in J.

The AA flight is $1k more than the China Southern and would earn me 32k EQMs and $2700 EQDs if I'm reading correctly. I did a mileage calculator for the China Southern flight and with the 50% bonus it says it would earn me 52k+ EQMs, but I wouldn't earn any EQDs.

My questions are, is that a correct assumption? Are the extra miles worth it without the dollars?
Your calculations are off somewhere, where are you getting the 52k EQM for the CZ flights?

CZ flights do not earn any EQM, only RDM (redeemable miles), unless they are booked as AA flight numbers, in which case they earn according to the AA table.

So booking LAX-CAN-HKT roundtrip in J on CZ (~17k flight miles), you would earn $0 EQD, 0 EQM, and roughly 26k RDM (17k + 50% bonus). This is booking CZ flight numbers.

Booking LAX-HKG-HKT in J as AA flight numbers (or LAX-CAN-HKT as AA flight numbers), roughly the same 17k flight miles, you would earn EQD according to the fare ($2700 EQD,), 52k EQM (17k * 3), and RDM according to the fare ($2700 * 5 if you don't have status).

Only you can answer the "whether it's worth it" question, most of us here need the EQD to qualify, but if you're not chasing status then it might make sense to save the $1k each and get more RDMs with the CZ option. Also keep in mind the connection of HKG vs. CAN; HKG is a breeze, very easy, great lounges, while connecting in China can be a PITA (transit visa requirements, etc.).
Old Jun 30, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: Many Affiliations: AA ExPlat, AA MM Gold Lifetime+, Hilton Diamond and such
EQD and EQM on JL Code and Booking but on AA Metal

I know that this has probably been discussed time and time again but I can’t find the right past references...

I’ll try to make this simple... I book, on JAL, a four leg RT from the US to SE Asia. It has four JL flight numbers and books into JL booking class. I purchase the ticket on JAL’s website. The US - HND legs are both on AA Metal (with JL code share) while the inter-Asia are on JL.

As an AAdvantage Member, how are the EQDs and EQMs calculated for the US-HND legs? Are they calculated as AA Partner JL (percentage of total miles flown according to the class of service charts) or as AAdvantage on American according to the Elite Status calculations?

Thanks. And may we all be flying again sometime soon.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by oldAGE
As an AAdvantage Member, how are the EQDs and EQMs calculated for the US-HND legs? Are they calculated as AA Partner JL (percentage of total miles flown according to the class of service charts) or as AAdvantage on American according to the Elite Status calculations?
JL. So it will calculated based on the fare and miles flown.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 7:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by oldAGE
I know that this has probably been discussed time and time again but I can’t find the right past references...

I’ll try to make this simple... I book, on JAL, a four leg RT from the US to SE Asia. It has four JL flight numbers and books into JL booking class. I purchase the ticket on JAL’s website. The US - HND legs are both on AA Metal (with JL code share) while the inter-Asia are on JL.

Thanks. And may we all be flying again sometime soon.
What meters is the marketed flight - the flight you’re ticketed on, in this case, JL. (In most cases, partner flights must be operated by other oneworld airlines, though with JL and QF there are exceptions.) Neither the fact it’s operated by AA or, if you did, purchasing it on the AA website, affects this. To determine your earnings see the Japan Airlines earning chart on as.com.

We’ll merge this into the existing thread soon. /Moderator
Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
How long has it been taking folks to see AS miles post under the latest partnership update?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.