Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM, EQS & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

This thread is dedicated to questions, discussion, and answers, requests for calculation verification, assistance, input, etc. about earning
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) for travel as of 1 Jan 2016
  • Award / Redeemable Miles (RDM) for travel as of 1 Aug 2016
  • Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) fof travel as of 1 Jan 2017
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS)

See the relevant threads in the Wikipost for basic and specific information relating to these topics.

/Moderation team

Relevant threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016 ("Just the facts" Q&A, discussion, of new changes)

Link to AAdvantage spreadsheet /spreadsheets & apps available for download

Can I See / Estimate EQD / EQM / RDM After Booking, Before Flying?

No. You can see your estimated EQD - EQM - RDM earnings for AA marketed flights once you have selected flights on AA.com before you book, and you can see all your actual earnings once you have flown and the flights have posted to your AAdvantage account.

If you use a tool to break down your trip so you can see your base fare and carrier imposed fees you can calculate your estimated EQD (for those flights earning EQD using that method, AA marketed flights). For estimated EQM and RDM you can calculate based on flown miles, fare class credit, etc.

For further information, see aa.com:

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link

Q. Will I be able to view my expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American and by other airlines online?

A. You will be able to view your expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American Airlines. Trips including flights marketed by other airlines will not display your expected earnings at this time.

Q. Where can I see how many award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits I can expect to earn for my trip on aa.com?

A. This information is displayed on aa.com after you’ve selected your flights, just prior to purchasing your reservation, on the Review and Pay page.

Q. Will promotional bonuses from special offers be included in the AAdvantage® earnings displayed?

A. No, promotional bonuses will only be displayed when your flight is posted to your account.

Q. Do I need to include my AAdvantage® number in order to view my expected earnings?

A. Yes, you will need to include your AAdvantage® number at the time of booking to view your expected earnings.

Q. Can I retrieve my expected earnings after I’ve purchased my trip online or for reservations booked elsewhere that can be viewed online?

A. No, you will only be able to view your expected earnings prior to purchasing your ticket on the Review and Pay page online.

Q. Why are the earnings shown referred to as estimates and expected earnings?

A. Award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits shown could differ from what you actually earn if you change your ticket, your elite status level changes or due to currency fluctuations for purchases not made in USD.

FT: Q. What are the rules governing earning AAdvantage miles etc. on codeshares?

1. AA codeshares earn as if you were flying AA, regardless of which airline operates them.

2. oneworld airline codeshares operated by oneworld airlines earn according to the marketing airline (airline whose flight is being flown, e.g. CX operated by JL earns as CX. oneworld marketed flights (codeshares) operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EI operated by BA, do not earn AAdvantage miles. Other airline-marketed flights operated by AA earn as if you were flying the marketing airline.

3. Exceptions include Qantas/ QF codeshares operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EY, FJ, etc.; many JL flights operated by non-oneworld airlines and some AY flights operated by non-oneworld airlines do earn AAdvantage miles.

4. Where you buy your tickets is irrelevant.

The 2017 thread can be read here.

The 2016 thread can be read here.

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM, EQS & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
EQM/EQD on Partner Premium Economy mixed class ticket?

Suppose you book a British Airways Premium Economy ticket, all BA numbers on BA stock, from, for instance, SFO-LAX-LHR-MAD. SFO-LAX is of course operated by AA and in regular economy, typically. Similarly, LHR-MAD is in this case IB Economy. Whatever the specific code is for AA and IB, it is not T or E. I assume each of these segments will receive EQM/EQD based on the BA chart and wwhatever code is displayed? For instance, if SFO-LAX is coded as BA (B), then it will also receive 20% EQD, but only 1.0 EQM/mile. If the LHR-MAD flight is coded BA (K), it will only receive 10% EQD and 0.5 EQM/mile.

Can anyone report their experiences on this? I have some flights booked later in the year, but I think I'll be marginal in terms of EQM, so I want to be sure I understand.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You will on each sector , earn based on whatever the booking class is for that sector. If it is K, then will earn as K
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by fanger
Suppose you book a British Airways Premium Economy ticket, all BA numbers on BA stock, from, for instance, SFO-LAX-LHR-MAD. SFO-LAX is of course operated by AA and in regular economy, typically. Similarly, LHR-MAD is in this case IB Economy. Whatever the specific code is for AA and IB, it is not T or E. I assume each of these segments will receive EQM/EQD based on the BA chart and wwhatever code is displayed? For instance, if SFO-LAX is coded as BA (B), then it will also receive 20% EQD, but only 1.0 EQM/mile. If the LHR-MAD flight is coded BA (K), it will only receive 10% EQD and 0.5 EQM/mile.

Can anyone report their experiences on this? I have some flights booked later in the year, but I think I'll be marginal in terms of EQM, so I want to be sure I understand.
1) Forget whose ticket stock it is. That’s just a distraction, for this purpose.

2) On oneworld Flights, ignore the operating airline. Immaterial for this purpose.

3) It’s about the marketing airline - the airline coded for that flight - and the fare code assigned by the marketing airline. In your example, you ‘ll earn BA per the fare sold and the BA fare chart on aa.com - which may not be easy to determine. (But, perhaps you can get the specific fare codes from BA, if there’s a way, or AA Twitter?)
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
I might have a trip that takes me from ORD to New Zealand (CHC) and Sydney. Not sure if I will be able to get work to pay for premium economy or not.

Regardless, looking for advice on what airline/routes to take to maximize my EQM and EQD earnings. Is AA metal going to give me the most?

Would really like to fly on a 747 and A380 and see that there are some options that would put me on Qantas and Emirates (marketed by Qantas).
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I might have a trip that takes me from ORD to New Zealand (CHC) and Sydney. Not sure if I will be able to get work to pay for premium economy or not.

Regardless, looking for advice on what airline/routes to take to maximize my EQM and EQD earnings. Is AA metal going to give me the most?

Would really like to fly on a 747 and A380 and see that there are some options that would put me on Qantas and Emirates (marketed by Qantas).
AA fly LAX-SYD & LAX-AKL
QF fly JFK-(LAX)-SYD, LAX-BNE/SYD/MEL, SFO-SYD & SFO-MEL (from 1 Sept 2018)
QF fly MEL/SYD/BNE-CHC. Watch you are not put on a QF codeshare operated by JQ Jetstar
ORD-SYD by Qantas has been talked about/rumoured for years. For a short time years ago was in the QF schedule. Link---> https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-eyes...eing-787-route

Going on a QF marketed EK operated flight is going the long way (as is the way with FT )--->Earning AA miles on Emirates and other airlines via Qantas codeshare?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Just curious if anyone can shed some light on how my recent EQM calculation came about...

Originally I was scheduled to fly PHX to ORD - booked in Y (1440 miles). Flight was delayed a few times so I switched to PHX to MKE - still in Y (1460 miles). Upon the switch I was upgraded to F at the gate. Looks like I got 1.5 EQMs as 2190 miles posted. Says Y on the posting. Not complaining but why would this happen?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Need a little help with partner earned miles

So I need to book two trips to spain and prices seem to have come down today. I have a hold on AA.com but realized that some flights on iberia.com are cheaper.
I need help from you more savvy flyers with my math and my understanding of earning on partner airlines.
looking at this flight scenario:
Miami (MIA) to Madrid (MAD) — Wed, Jul 3Iberia 6124Dep: 5:10 pmArr: 7:45 am8h 35mAirbus A330
Premium economy (T)
Layover in MADThu, Jul 44h 40m
Madrid (MAD) to Ibiza (IBZ) — Thu, Jul 4Iberia 8910Dep: 12:25 pmArr: 1:35 pm1h 10mCanadair RJ 1000Economy Ibiza (IBZ) to Miami (MIA) — Mon, Jul
Ibiza (IBZ) to Madrid (MAD) — Mon, Jul 8Iberia 8911Dep: 2:10 pmArr: 3:25 pm1h 15mCanadair RJ 1000Economy (K)
Layover in MAD1h 15m
Madrid (MAD) to Miami (MIA) — Mon, Jul 8Iberia 6117Dep: 4:40 pmArr: 8:30 pm9h 50mAirbus A330Premium economy (T)

So I got this off the matrix to get the fare code. This comes out to $981.00(on aa.com its double).
I have the aa earnings off of my saved flights and the mileage there for the MIA-MAD segment say its 4424.
So if I am looking at this correctly, if i book this trip on iberia with iberia I should earn miles for the long segment as follows right?
EQMs =6636
EQDs=884
Is that correct? would that be per segment right? so in total i would have 1600+ EQD from this trip or am i doing the math wrong?

Last edited by miadukes; Sep 21, 2018 at 9:13 pm
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:46 am

Can anyone confirm with Premium Economy T will earn as described above?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good luck ticketing that with Iberia. My parents were trying for a similar itinerary at the same (great) price for next summer. Rez was confirmed but it never ticketed (then auto-cancelled a few days later) and it’s impossible to get through to Iberia reservations. When they finally did they were no help.

They actually were were able to get the fare through Finnair though.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miadukes
Can anyone confirm with Premium Economy T will earn as described above?
EQM is correct at 1.5/mile.
What does the IB earning chart say for EQD? If it’s 0.2 / 20% then your math is right.
Thise earnings would be per segment.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon

EQM is correct at 1.5/mile.
What does the IB earning chart say for EQD? If it’s 0.2 / 20% then your math is right.
Thise earnings would be per segment.

This is what aa.com says for partner earning:​​​​​
Cabin - EQSsPremium Economy E, T
Base miles - 100% –
Cabin bonus - not available
EQMs per mile flown -1.50
EQDs per mile flown** -20%
EQSs -1.00

So then I am better off doing it this way if i want to get closer to gold again next year right? Because with american the PE doesn't show up on their fares to buy for this same flight which I find weird so if I bought the regular economy ticket thru american its only like $600 EQDs but here i would get more than $1600 in EQDs for this same trip. I feel like that is too good to be true but I have my ticket held till later and if that is the case like you confirmed I think I'll splurge for the extra $300 and get this route instead. I have to make this trip twice in the same month so Im looking at completing my EQDs in 2 trips which would be amazing!!! plus the miles!!!!
Question tho, the base miles, thats the awards miles right, so in saying 100% that is, I will get the same as if i ticketed with AA?? So whatever earning aa.com shows for base/awards miles that is what i would get here?

One last thing, so when I am booking my ticket in the partner field i would put AA and the my number and thats it, thats all i need to get this flight credited to my AA account? Will i be able to see this flight in my aa account or only on iberia?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by miadukes
This is what aa.com says for partner earning:​​​​​
Cabin - EQSsPremium Economy E, T
Base miles - 100% –
Cabin bonus - not available
EQMs per mile flown -1.50
EQDs per mile flown** -20%
EQSs -1.00

So then I am better off doing it this way if i want to get closer to gold again next year right? Because with american the PE doesn't show up on their fares to buy for this same flight which I find weird so if I bought the regular economy ticket thru american its only like $600 EQDs but here i would get more than $1600 in EQDs for this same trip. I feel like that is too good to be true but I have my ticket held till later and if that is the case like you confirmed I think I'll splurge for the extra $300 and get this route instead. I have to make this trip twice in the same month so Im looking at completing my EQDs in 2 trips which would be amazing!!! plus the miles!!!!
Question tho, the base miles, thats the awards miles right, so in saying 100% that is, I will get the same as if i ticketed with AA?? So whatever earning aa.com shows for base/awards miles that is what i would get here?

One last thing, so when I am booking my ticket in the partner field i would put AA and the my number and thats it, thats all i need to get this flight credited to my AA account? Will i be able to see this flight in my aa account or only on iberia?
Base miles are your award miles (RDM), correct. Base miles on partner flights are based on distance, so 100% earning means that if the flight is 4000 miles long then you'll earn 4000 award miles for that segment.

On AA your base miles are based on the fare you paid, not the distance of the flight. So if the coach flight on AA was $600 before tax you'd earn 600 x 7 miles (Gold earn rate) = 4200 award miles.

This scenario happens often and it really depends on what you need more of as to whether its beneficial to book an AA code or partner code flight. The cheaper PE fares on partners often earn a lot more EQD but less RDM than an equivalent AA flight.

As to your AA#, just put that in the field when you book it with IB and you will be good to go, it might not show up in your AA account but you can try to manually add it, YMMV.
miadukes likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Base miles are your award miles (RDM), correct. Base miles on partner flights are based on distance, so 100% earning means that if the flight is 4000 miles long then you'll earn 4000 award miles for that segment.

On AA your base miles are based on the fare you paid, not the distance of the flight. So if the coach flight on AA was $600 before tax you'd earn 600 x 7 miles (Gold earn rate) = 4200 award miles

This scenario happens often and it really depends on what you need more of as to whether its beneficial to book an AA code or partner code flight. The cheaper PE fares on partners often earn a lot more EQD but less RDM than an equivalent AA flight.

As to your AA#, just put that in the field when you book it with IB and you will be good to go, it might not show up in your AA account but you can try to manually add it, YMMV.
Bolding mine, thank you, I had no idea what the 100% meant in relation to aa earnings. and thanks for the input. Yes I would rather forego about 1000 awards miles but get more than double EQDs. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and help me figure this out.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:31 pm

EQD miscalculation? (to merge)

I feel like I was cheated on EQD earning and wanted to see if I should call in or if it was indeed calculated correctly. I flew FLL - DFW - GRU - POA in premium economy (except for the GRU-POA segment which was on LATAM). The reservation was made through AA. The total cost without taxes was $831. I thought this would bump me to platinum, but now that the miles have posted, I only received 730 EQD's (125 for FLL-DFW, 568 for DFW-GRU, and a measly 27 for GRU-POA). I don't understand where they came up with these numbers. Seems a bit unfair that I lose 101 EQD and left 58 EQD's away from platinum. I have several domestic flights in Brazil on LATAM coming up and was counting on getting a free checked bag for being oneworld Sapphire.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:16 pm

Not enough info provided to be sure. But it seems as if they calculated ur ticket on a mix of fare and distance — I’m assuming the gru poa was a Latham prime and not a codeshare.

Not knowing how the fare broke out on this, I am guessing that the aa segments received a % of the fare based on the mileage that was actually on AA. And then the latam piece earned based on the actual flight miles x the distance.

Call and I am sure AA will walk you though the caluculation. But before you call, check what booking code you had on latam and then see the current eqd earning chart on .com.

Originally Posted by kyparamedic
I feel like I was cheated on EQD earning and wanted to see if I should call in or if it was indeed calculated correctly. I flew FLL - DFW - GRU - POA in premium economy (except for the GRU-POA segment which was on LATAM). The reservation was made through AA. The total cost without taxes was $831. I thought this would bump me to platinum, but now that the miles have posted, I only received 730 EQD's (125 for FLL-DFW, 568 for DFW-GRU, and a measly 27 for GRU-POA). I don't understand where they came up with these numbers. Seems a bit unfair that I lose 101 EQD and left 58 EQD's away from platinum. I have several domestic flights in Brazil on LATAM coming up and was counting on getting a free checked bag for being oneworld Sapphire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.