Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM AA, Partners

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 21, 18, 12:39 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link

[This thread is dedicated to questions, discussion, and answers, requests for calculation verification, assistance, input, etc. about earning
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) for travel as of 1 Jan 2016

• Award / Redeemable Miles (RDM) for travel as of 1 Aug 2016

• Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) fof travel as of 1 Jan 2017
See the relevant threads in the Wikipost for basic and specific information relating to these topics.

/Moderation team

Relevant threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016 ("Just the facts" Q&A, discussion, of new changes)

Link to AAdvantage spreadsheet /spreadsheets & apps available for download

Can I See / Estimate EQD / EQM / RDM After Booking, Before Flying?

No. You can see your estimated EQD - EQM - RDM earnings for AA marketed flights once you have selected flights on AA.com before you book, and you can see all your actual earnings once you have flown and the flights have posted to your AAdvantage account.

If you use a tool to break down your trip so you can see your base fare and carrier imposed fees you can calculate your estimated EQD (for those flights earning EQD using that method, AA marketed flights). For estimated EQM and RDM you can calculate based on flown miles, fare class credit, etc.

For further information, see aa.com:

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link

Q. Will I be able to view my expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American and by other airlines online?

A. You will be able to view your expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American Airlines. Trips including flights marketed by other airlines will not display your expected earnings at this time.

Q. Where can I see how many award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits I can expect to earn for my trip on aa.com?

A. This information is displayed on aa.com after you’ve selected your flights, just prior to purchasing your reservation, on the Review and Pay page.

Q. Will promotional bonuses from special offers be included in the AAdvantage® earnings displayed?

A. No, promotional bonuses will only be displayed when your flight is posted to your account.

Q. Do I need to include my AAdvantage® number in order to view my expected earnings?

A. Yes, you will need to include your AAdvantage® number at the time of booking to view your expected earnings.

Q. Can I retrieve my expected earnings after I’ve purchased my trip online or for reservations booked elsewhere that can be viewed online?

A. No, you will only be able to view your expected earnings prior to purchasing your ticket on the Review and Pay page online.

Q. Why are the earnings shown referred to as estimates and expected earnings?

A. Award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits shown could differ from what you actually earn if you change your ticket, your elite status level changes or due to currency fluctuations for purchases not made in USD.

FT: Q. What are the rules governing earning AAdvantage miles etc. on codeshares?

1. AA codeshares earn as if you were flying AA, regardless of which airline operates them.

2. oneworld airline codeshares operated by oneworld airlines earn according to the marketing airline (airline whose flight is being flown, e.g. CX operated by JL earns as CX. oneworld marketed flights (codeshares) operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EI operated by BA, do not earn AAdvantage miles. Other airline-marketed flights operated by AA earn as if you were flying the marketing airline.

3. Exceptions include Qantas/ QF codeshares operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EY, FJ, etc.; many JL flights operated by non-oneworld airlines and some AY flights operated by non-oneworld airlines do earn AAdvantage miles.

4. Where you buy your tickets is irrelevant.

The previous thread can be read here.

Print Wikipost

Old Oct 12, 18, 7:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by oigroig43 View Post
I was just on an AA round trip booked via Chase points - originally was DCA-PHL-DUB and then the identical/opposite return. The very first leg to PHL was drastically delayed so AA rebooked us as DCA-JFK-LHR-DUB. Due to delays at JFK, we missed the LHR-DUB connection on BA and so the AA desk at LHR rebooked us on an Aer Lingus to DUB flight that was a BA codeshare.

I have received my EQDs/EQMs for DCA-JFK and JFK-LHR (and since we got rebooked in Y we got a big boost compared to what we were going to get as an O special fare through Chase). However, I am wondering if I am entitled to any EDQs or EQMs on the Aer Lingus LHR-DUB flight since it was a BA codeshare? It has been ten days since that flight (we have already returned to the US on the DUB-PHL-DCA legs as originally planned and those points posted the next day). Even though AA doesn't give anything for Aer Lingus, does my flight being a codeshare on BA mean I should have some points post? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Keep the big boost OR request Original Routing Credit, because there’s no way younearn anything AA flying a BA marketed flight operated by a non-oneworld airline (such as EI).
enpremiere likes this.
Old Oct 12, 18, 11:42 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by skunker View Post
Based on the CK thread, I think we can agree that there isn't a set, published standard for getting CK.
Absolutely. Now that I re-read my comment, I see that it wasn't clear -

I think that it can be said that it's via corporate nomination/travel contract (not social media influencer status) or extreme BIS/spend (in a given market?) but I'd venture that among those that have CK who aren't ultra-heavy travel/spenders, they're not all all aware as to how they came to have it.
Old Oct 12, 18, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive Elite, UA Silver
EQD Question?

I thought I knew this stuff... guess not... I was reviewed my year to date EQDs/EQM as I plan my final few trips of the year and got confused on the EQDs of a trip that I flew the first leg of on 09/02 MIL-LAX and have the return on 11/23, so I am trying to figure out how much the LAX-MIL (actually LHR not taking the last leg) will earn in EQDs... below are some of the details

Here is what posted after the first flight EQM EQD
MXP - MIA
Sep 2, 2018 • AA 0207 • Economy (L) 4,931 432
Posted: Sep 3, 2018
Method: Fare

MIA - LAX
Sep 2, 2018 • AA 0314 • Economy (L) 2,342 139
Posted: Sep 3, 2018
Method: Fare

So the total EQD were 571

Here is the fare info from an email I dug up...

FARE - EUR 446.00
EQUIV FARE - USD 515.00
TAXES & CARRIER IMPOSED FEES 376.91

I "thought" EQDs are the fare less taxes/fees, I was booked through AA so don't think its a special fare.... What will I earn on the return????? any guesses??? Thanks in advance... It matters because I have a long haul J flight I would rather credit to Alaska than AA if I can, i.e. this return earns EQDs....

AMERICAN AIRLINES
LAX Los Angeles
Nov 23, 2018
09:00 AM
JFK New York
Nov 23, 2018
05:23 PM
V
Snack

AMERICAN AIRLINES
JFK New York
Nov 23, 2018
10:25 PM
LHR London
Nov 24, 2018
10:30 AM
V
Dinner
Breakfast
Old Oct 12, 18, 4:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
You need to look at the specific breakdown of the taxes and fees amount. Although taxes do not count there are some carrier imposed fees that do. This is a possible source of the difference.
Old Nov 12, 18, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA ExP
I found an awesome AA fare published from KTM (Kathmandu) to NYC which allows travel on KA and then AA via DFW. It books into the below buckets for each flight:-

KTM-HKG via KA - I Class
HKG-DFW via AA - R class
DFW -NYC via AA - J class

Now the ticket can be issued on JL or AA stock so If i can find an agent to issue it on JL stock would it post using the "special fare chart" or do they somehow share the fare info to calculate it with the fare method? The EQM difference would be in the of 3k betwen the methods.
Old Nov 13, 18, 5:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by jmAAn View Post
I found an awesome AA fare published from KTM (Kathmandu) to NYC which allows travel on KA and then AA via DFW. It books into the below buckets for each flight:-

KTM-HKG via KA - I Class
HKG-DFW via AA - R class
DFW -NYC via AA - J class

Now the ticket can be issued on JL or AA stock so If i can find an agent to issue it on JL stock would it post using the "special fare chart" or do they somehow share the fare info to calculate it with the fare method? The EQM difference would be in the of 3k betwen the methods.
Ticketing stock generally doesn't matter, marketing carrier does. If this is a normal published fare with KA/AA/AA flight numbers then you will earn miles based on distance for the KTM-HKG segment and fare for HKG-DFW-NYC.

Special fares come into play with vacation packages, bulk and consolidator fares, etc., just booking on another carrier's stock will not typically trigger a special fare (AA will definitely have visibility to the fare info).
jmAAn likes this.
Old Dec 21, 18, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EP
Hmm, waiting for this flight to post and had to call AAadvantage and the person on the end of the line said that "I" class earns 14% of "base" miles (which are 70% of miles flown) rather than total miles flown. Was the person wrong? EXP status on the line.
Old Dec 21, 18, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfizzle View Post
Hmm, waiting for this flight to post and had to call AAadvantage and the person on the end of the line said that "I" class earns 14% of "base" miles (which are 70% of miles flown) rather than total miles flown. Was the person wrong? EXP status on the line.
Which flight on which airline and what is it you are asking about ? award miles, qualifying miles or qualifying dollars?

EQM and EQD are based on percentage of flown miles, not percentage of award miles

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 21, 18 at 12:49 pm
Old Dec 21, 18, 4:09 pm

JAL 802 and JAL 18 . TPE-NRT-YVR . 6029 miles flown, but only 70% base miles for RDM. I need at least $800 EQD and 70% base would only yield $590
Old Dec 21, 18, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfizzle View Post
JAL 802 and JAL 18 . TPE-NRT-YVR . 6029 miles flown, but only 70% base miles for RDM. I need at least $800 EQD and 70% base would only yield $590
It is based on the flown miles, not based on the 70% award miles - exactly as it says on the JL earning page
tfizzle likes this.
Old Dec 21, 18, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Flying Cathay but crediting to AAdvantage please check my EQM/EQD Calculations

I'm an AA Exec Plat and rarely fly partner airlines. My client booked me on Cathay Pacific via the Cathay website (LHR-HKG-PER Round-Trip in Business Class - Fare Code I) and its crediting to my AAdvantage account. My flight leaves in 2 days and I'll be back in London before the end of the year so the calculations are based on 2018 AAdvantage/ Cathay Earnings.

Would someone be kind enough to check my math on EQM / EQD for AAdvantage.

LHR-HKG 5,994 mi
HKG-PER 3,733 mi
PER-HKG 3,733 mi
HKG-LHR 5,994 mi
TOTAL 19,454 miles distance per Great Circle Map

EQM = 19,454 x 1.5 = 29,181 EQM into AAdvantage Account

EQD = 19,454 x 0.25 = $4,863.50 EQD into AAdvantage Account.

Would anyone be kind enough to check my calculations. If my calculations are correct it will requalify me for Exec Plat status. But my math is wrong I'd love to know so that I can plan a small mileage run to make sure I requalify.

Huge Thanks in advance for any assistance
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 21, 18, 6:02 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Your math is correct - have a good trip to PER
JDiver and fx1099 like this.
Old Dec 24, 18, 12:43 am

Thanks to the FT group for expert Advice and better than the folks at AA who game me incorrect information about partner flights. . Just requalified with 12030 EQD and 123000 EQM.
Old Aug 9, 19, 11:11 am

How long should I wait?

Recently flew CDG-CLT AY coded flight on AA metal. I know EQD will be calculated by distance. It's been over 3 days and it's not listed in my activity yet. Could an expert shed some insight? I flew CZ and the flight was listed within 2 days.

I am trying to complete the Platinum promotion challenge.

Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 9, 19, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by cyberUAL View Post
Recently flew CDG-CLT AY coded flight on AA metal. I know EQD will be calculated by distance. It's been over 3 days and it's not listed in my activity yet. Could an expert shed some insight? I flew CZ and the flight was listed within 2 days.

I am trying to complete the Platinum promotion challenge.

Thank you in advance.
Definitely have had it take 3 days, never more than 5 for partner EQM/EQD. IB ticketed AA metal. Or AA ticketed BA metal.

Search this Thread