Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK 2017: Earning EQD, EQM & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK 2017: Earning EQD, EQM & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Kind of a broad question (sorry ahead of time)...

i need 31k EQM to hit EXP for next year (had a major lull in travel, which will pick again in January).

Any recommendations? I'd like to keep it under $2,000 where possible.

Can it be done in one RT?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Chewie
Kind of a broad question (sorry ahead of time)...

i need 31k EQM to hit EXP for next year (had a major lull in travel, which will pick again in January).

Any recommendations? I'd like to keep it under $2,000 where possible.

Can it be done in one RT?
You don't say where you are starting from, but its going to be tough - 8000 each way in AA Business class would do it in one trip, but finding that for under $2000 seems unlikely. If you use partner airlines then you're talking more like 11000 miles each way - but premium economy might keep the cost down (and would still earn at the same rate).

I think you need at least to let us know if you're starting from a US airport or elsewhere in the world, and ideally which airport in particular.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Sorry! PHL would be my starting point.

I'll admit my only mileage run was a PHL > PDX a few years ago. I've always made EXP (former chairmans) in the past easily.

This will be my most involved/complicated mileage run.

I would up the $$$ for business if there is a good price and a shorter flight that gets me over the hump.

I realize 32k miles is a lot! I have made the EQDs already.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
You don't say where you are starting from, but its going to be tough - 8000 each way in AA Business class would do it in one trip, but finding that for under $2000 seems unlikely. If you use partner airlines then you're talking more like 11000 miles each way - but premium economy might keep the cost down (and would still earn at the same rate).

I think you need at least to let us know if you're starting from a US airport or elsewhere in the world, and ideally which airport in particular.
Do it on a 3pt per mile flight and can get it down to 5.5 k miles wach way

Still seems something that is going to be pricey to complete and would consider whether the extra benefits of EP status are worth that much more over Platinum Pro which can be much more easily achieved
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:06 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Chewie
Sorry! PHL would be my starting point.

I'll admit my only mileage run was a PHL > PDX a few years ago. I've always made EXP (former chairmans) in the past easily.

This will be my most involved/complicated mileage run.

I would up the $$$ for business if there is a good price and a shorter flight that gets me over the hump.

I realize 32k miles is a lot! I have made the EQDs already.
Also check to see if you received a buyback offer. It might be cheaper / easier to just pay AA the buyback price.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:29 pm

I only have a Plat Pro buyback, not an eXP one, unfortunately.

I may just take a flight to Seattle and take the PP downgrade for 8 months (I'll be back up to EXP next year).
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Hi, I had a question that I posted in the newbie thread and was directed here. Hoping to get an answer here before making a booking JFK-LHR on BA

How is the elite bonus on a low economy fare calculated? For instance, would a 60% Plat bonus on a Q fare on BA be calculated on the actual mileage flown or the 25% miles the fare earns?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in
Hi, I had a question that I posted in the newbie thread and was directed here. Hoping to get an answer here before making a booking JFK-LHR on BA

How is the elite bonus on a low economy fare calculated? For instance, would a 60% Plat bonus on a Q fare on BA be calculated on the actual mileage flown or the 25% miles the fare earns?

Thanks in advance.
Bonuses are calculated on the base earned miles
e.g. flight distance 1,000 miles on BA in 25% earning class

Base earning = 863
60% bonus = 518
Total earning = 1381
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Paid airport upgrade on BA not getting correct EQM/Ds

I have 2 flights on BA (booked/marketed/flown BA) I did a paid airport upgrade on both from economy to premium economy.

both posted as original economy. I know that for BA exec club they get avios/tier points as upgraded fare class.

how do I rectify this? Is there policy on this to fall back on?

If I call EXP desk they might say "this is what BA sent us" (I could call BA... ?)
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by seaskybound
I have 2 flights on BA (booked/marketed/flown BA) I did a paid airport upgrade on both from economy to premium economy.

both posted as original economy. I know that for BA exec club they get avios/tier points as upgraded fare class.

If I call EXP desk they might say "this is what BA sent us" (I could call BA... ?)
The BA wiki has reported similar issues before (in 2015). Please refer to #47 - #49 in this post:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...flights-4.html
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Bonuses are calculated on the base earned miles
e.g. flight distance 1,000 miles on BA in 25% earning class

Base earning = 863
60% bonus = 518
Total earning = 1381
Many thanks. ^
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by seaskybound

I believe that for crediting to AA, this is correct and there is nothing to rectify.

BA may allow upgrades to earn as per upgraded class, but for AA, it is the purchased fare class that counts
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:31 am

I've read above that AA PE gets 1.5 EQM. I just booked a flight in PE and it booked into "P" class and the current AA table shows P as earning 2.00 EQM, but labels P as "Discount First/Business". I booked through citi (hoping to get special fare for EQD).

Are we expecting a new table to come out that shows only 1.50 EQM when booking "P" premium economy? Or is that stated somewhere else on the website?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by lkar
I've read above that AA PE gets 1.5 EQM. I just booked a flight in PE and it booked into "P" class and the current AA table shows P as earning 2.00 EQM, but labels P as "Discount First/Business". I booked through citi (hoping to get special fare for EQD).

Are we expecting a new table to come out that shows only 1.50 EQM when booking "P" premium economy? Or is that stated somewhere else on the website?
No, its already there! This is an appalling piece of web design that should get someone fired - the new table is below the one you read as they have ended up not being in chronological order - and the new table is folded up so it looks older, not newer.

Its been like that since May - not sure why they wouldn't fix it.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
No, its already there!
Well, look at that. I could have looked 1,000 times and not figured that out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.