Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Talk about a CHEAP upgrade to Tokyo on 787!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage

Flying LAX-HND on American. I was excited as it was my first time to fly on the 787 Dreamliner. Round trip ticket in coach was $896. What I realllllly wanted was those capsule sleepers in first class. I couldn't afford to buy it outright as it's like some insane $4,000 price tag.

Three days before take off I called and asked if I could buy an upgrade. They lay this bs on me that in addition to the fare difference, I have to pay a $250 change fee. What kind of joke is that? I'm buying more from you, why the heck should I pay a change fee. The agent on the phone put me on hold for 20 mins and comes back. Ok, change fee wavied! Now the price to upgrade... he quotes me something insane, which is what I was expecting. I asked if there were lots of seats up in first, and he says yes. I ask if he can talk to his supervisor again and he agrees, on hold for 10 mins and comes back. $375 each way to upgrade to first in the sleeping capsules! I thought I misunderstood him, but that was it! I was so excited.

When I boarded the plane, first was 80% empty, coach was 50% empty. I guess they were in serious need of $. Oh, and the best part was no upgrades were avail. Funny, the entire first was empty! What a joke.

So upgrade to first LAX-HND for $750rt! Can't beat that deal!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Every once in a while you get lucky. Glad you had a nice flight!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:47 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by davidflies
Flying LAX-HND on American. I was excited as it was my first time to fly on the 787 Dreamliner. Round trip ticket in coach was $896. What I realllllly wanted was those capsule sleepers in first class. I couldn't afford to buy it outright as it's like some insane $4,000 price tag.
The AA 787's dont have first class. By 'capsule sleepers in first class' are you referring to the reverse herringbone business class seats?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...dreamliner.jsp
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:35 am

That sounds pretty good for a 10 hour flight!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:24 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Chase Ultimate Rewards
That's AWESOME! Good for you!!! It's great to read posts like these.

By the way, your excitement really comes through in your post. I recently had the opportunity (used miles) and 787 is a great plane.

ERQ

Last edited by ERQTraveler; Jul 21, 2016 at 5:28 am Reason: Added more...
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
This sounds like a POUG but OP was prompted for a 'fare diff charge' of $250, does this mean there is a LAX-HND published J class fare for $1,6xx? I would prolly buy them right away if this price was offered....
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:04 pm

I sure have a hard time finding awards for HND on a lot of dates and yet your cabins were sparse. :-(
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: EXP
I wonder 2 things:
1) Was the OP booked into a revenue J fare?
2) $350 is the copay for a mileage upgrade. Did the also deduct 25,0000 miles each way?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by jcbec
I wonder 2 things:
1) Was the OP booked into a revenue J fare?
2) $350 is the copay for a mileage upgrade. Did the also deduct 25,0000 miles each way?
Can't be booked into revenue J that would require much more $. A CSr can't override the additional fare required. Possible miles and copay, if OP doesn't have enough miles, then maybe CSr took from another person's account on accident, happened to me. It sucked. Got my miles back though. Or PUG, very possible, probably would've been offed at airport but call triggered.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I love me some sleeping capsules

Good for you OP. Now make sure you still have your miles.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Debating on making some pop corn and watching this one!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:04 pm

Was wondering this myself.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral
Debating on making some pop corn and watching this one!
About what? What type if upgrade it was? Well it can't be a fare up, so miles and copay or pog. I guess we need OP to answer what it was.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hiima
About what? What type if upgrade it was? Well it can't be a fare up, so miles and copay or pog. I guess we need OP to answer what it was.
The way it's described-- at least with the detail provided-- it cannot be any of those things.

There's either more to it or it didn't happen. I'm open-minded as to which.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I$350 is the copay for a mileage upgrade. Did the also deduct 25,0000 miles each way?
That happened to me a number of years ago JFK-LHR. AAgent at the airport told me that she got me a really cheap cash upgrade. Only later did I find out that there was a mileage component to the cost, too. I wasn't happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.