Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can I give a tip or gift to a flight attendant?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines' Employee Tip and Gifts Policy

AA employees
(contract employees not included) are not allowed to accept cash or gift cards.

American Airlines limits the value of gifts to employees to $25.

Print Wikipost

Can I give a tip or gift to a flight attendant?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EX PLAT
Talking

Originally Posted by JDiver
To be honest, I've been flying AA over six decades and they've always accepted my chocolates. Then again, these days it's usually on a widebody and a box of Godive or the like still in the plastic wrapping.

The 737 will standardize to 176 seats over time, with Main Cabin seeing 30" pitch with new new Rockwell Collins - BE Aerospace Meridian Seats (already in the 737 MAX 8s). See here: AA to install new seats in 737-800s and A321s but add more to Main Cabin. Moot point, as FAA requires one FA per 50 seats (and iirc the seat blocking scheme may have failed to meet FARs).
I have never had an FA refuse a box of unopened chocolate, and at times its resulted in a "better seat"
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:19 am

Is it ok to tip FAs?

Just wondering is it ok to tip FAs (or acceptable)? Might help increase service quality. All the skycaps I meet curbside sure seem like the happiest guys at the airport!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:33 am

You've found some worth tipping? On a serious note, no, I don't think it is appropriate to tip cash and it would be awkward when they decline it. Nor would I want to plant the seed that this is now acceptable by society and the tipping culture in general, which I have great disdain for. As other threads have mentioned, usually a box of chocolate is more acceptable.
Spiff, cruisr, JBauer and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:11 am

As they are primarily there for our safety I would hope that a tip would get me priority access to the Emergency Exit
GuyverII likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Just no. Don't even go down this road. Just don't.

Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Absolutely not. Tipping FAs would encourage management to reduce their pay further and depend on passengers to cover the difference. There are too many fees already, we don't need a "FA service fee" aka tip.
ashill and Beltway2A like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Where I have never tipped FAs, when my daughter was a girl scout, I would buy many boxes of girl scout cookies and give them to the crews to enjoy as an expression of my thanks for their service. It was always well received.

Safe Travels
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
OP you are an AA ExP, just give them an "Applause" certificate
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
The skycaps are the exception. They are not airline employees and are paid wages that assume they'll get tips (ie below minimum wage). Or at least were in the past; I can't keep up because I never use curb-side checkin. (And there's a separate saga about AA collecting a curb-side check-in fee which customers thought was a tip but didn't actually go to the skycap.)

The reality is that, with American (the country, not the airline) tipping culture, consumers are generally expected to somehow know which customer-facing workers are professional employees (therefore salaried and not expecting/able to accept tips) and who is a contractor or other employee (who is expecting tips and often paid a lower wage as a consequence), essentially guessing for ourselves without any real information what an appropriate wage for a given level of service is. But American Airlines employees, including FAs (not to be confused with some contractors, but FAs working for contract airlines are like AA-employed FAs) cannot accept tips. Whether they're paid decent wages is another topic.

Last edited by ashill; Mar 8, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC
Just wondering is it ok to tip FAs (or acceptable)? Might help increase service quality. All the skycaps I meet curbside sure seem like the happiest guys at the airport!
Only if you're Steve Martin. And if so, you would OVER-tip.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Only if you're Steve Martin. And if so, you would OVER-tip.
and always hang up your pants.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:06 pm

If you've developed a close friendship with a flight attendant through frequent travel on routes they work, then I can see a gift box of chocolates or some such being appropriate during the holidays.

A cash tip or gift would be very tacky, unless maybe you say "keep the change" as you pay cash for food on an Eagle flight. Actually, don't do that either - if you must part with your change, donate it to a charity.

I'm sympathetic to the low pay of FAs as much as anyone, but tipping is neither customary nor a good solution.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:42 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merging with existing “tipping flight attendant” thread.

Also, let’s try to keep the conversation focused on AA; general commentary about tipping culture is not appropriate for this forum. Thanks. /Moderator

Last edited by JY1024; Mar 8, 2018 at 4:49 pm
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Austin787
Absolutely not. Tipping FAs would encourage management to reduce their pay further and depend on passengers to cover the difference. There are too many fees already, we don't need a "FA service fee" aka tip.
This is a very legit concern. I imagine with their already low pay the FAs wouldn't mind getting a 15% service charge added on each ticket the airlines sell, if the $$$ goes to them.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by knit-in
I imagine with their already low pay the FAs wouldn't mind getting a 15% service charge added on each ticket the airlines sell, if the $$$ goes to them.
Not sure why you think that's even remotely in the realm of possibility, let alone a "very legit concern"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.