Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can I give a tip or gift to a flight attendant?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines' Employee Tip and Gifts Policy

AA employees
(contract employees not included) are not allowed to accept cash or gift cards.

American Airlines limits the value of gifts to employees to $25.

Print Wikipost

Can I give a tip or gift to a flight attendant?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by LonghornSF
Not to mention, who carries around a spare Starbucks gift card or two just in case they need to tip their flight attendant. Pretty silly distinction some people are drawing.
I think people who draw the distinction between gift cards and cash in this case are thinking more of gift-giving when they discuss tipping, as tipping is considered non-obligatory in this case. When it comes to gift-giving, it could be rude to give cash over a gift card or similar (i.e. an afterthought versus a thoughtful purchase). I suppose some see it as buying a gift for a colleague/consultant going over and above in cases where tipping is not customary.

Of course, when it comes to true "tipping," anything other than cash is unacceptable. I know I would have been angry if someone left me a Starbucks card after I served them when I was working as a waiter.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I should mention that I do follow the custom of tipping $1 for each visit to the club bar ($2 if I'm also getting food). I also leave a dollar when I'm leaving behind my used glasses and plates. I would just feel bad otherwise--we live in a culture where bartenders and service workers are expected to make a significant portion of their income from tips. That is why they (especially servers and bartenders) are legally allowed to earn less than the minimum wage in many states.

For my part, I prefer self-service lounges, because I dislike the added expensive of tipping bartenders when all I'm getting is a free club soda. But I do it anyway. Not fair to them to punish them when they aren't responsible for the system.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This thread is about whether or not tipping a cabin crew member is recommended. General opinions and discussion about tipping, tipping customs in the USA, etc. do not belong here; they belong in OMNI or OMNI/PR. Tipping Admirals Club contract employees, hotel housekeeping staff, coffee and other drinking and dining establishments should be discussed separately as well.

/Moderator
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:02 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by brewdog11

Of course, when it comes to true "tipping," anything other than cash is unacceptable. I know I would have been angry if someone left me a Starbucks card after I served them when I was working as a waiter.
I'm actually OK with it if it is much more than the normal cash tip. For example, a $10 Starbucks Card in lieu of an expected $1 - $2 cash tip is fine for me. That stated, I see gift-card tipping or cash-tipping the same for FAs. I am now going to consider giving them gift-card tips on long-haul flights when the FAs are really nice. Maybe they will reciprocate and give me a left-over unopened bottle of wine!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Tacky!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
AA's gift limit is $25.

Employees are not allowed to accept cash or gift cards.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 21, 2016 at 7:56 pm Reason: Add emphases
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
I would limit my enthusiasm to expressing my heartfelt gratitude directly to the FA and/or their manager as well as send a note to customer service. In the long run, expending monetary value in this context will degrade the customer experience.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:27 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
I would limit my enthusiasm to expressing my heartfelt gratitude directly to the FA and/or their manager as well as send a note to customer service. In the long run, expending monetary value in this context will degrade the customer experience.
But the question that remains unanswered (at least to me) is how does that do one iota to help the great FAs? If all benefits are seniority-driven, does it matter at all if the personnel file is full or compliments or complaints for that matter?

I am sincerely interested in knowing as I will not choose to waste my time writing letters/e-mails if has no meaningful impact. Does anyone know?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
But the question that remains unanswered (at least to me) is how does that do one iota to help the great FAs? If all benefits are seniority-driven, does it matter at all if the personnel file is full or compliments or complaints for that matter?

I am sincerely interested in knowing as I will not choose to waste my time writing letters/e-mails if has no meaningful impact. Does anyone know?
Speaking for myself, and I do not work in an airline, it is a pleasant and rewarding experience when a client thanks me for a job well done. It is not all about financial transactions to me. I have a related but opposite question: how does a $20 tip help an FA?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I don't see why we can't tip Flight Attendants.

I have tipped a couple of times for excellent service -- $100 bill during the holiday season when the planes are crazy, I am in an expansive mood, and if the flight is good, then I don't mind sharing my good fortune. I think anything less than $20 could be construed as being crass.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
No, no and thrice no.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I can imagine if this starts then give it a year and they will pass a collection box through the cabin.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
I can imagine if this starts then give it a year and they will pass a collection box through the cabin.
But the service will remain crappy.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
I do not think it is appropriate to tip FAs. FAs aren't like waitresses in a restaurant or taxi drivers, who earn a low wage. They are professionals, who are highly trained and are there for your security and comfort, and while maybe not earning a very large wage they certainly make more than enough for a living.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by Bakpapier
I do not think it is appropriate to tip FAs. FAs aren't like waitresses in a restaurant or taxi drivers, who earn a low wage. They are professionals, who are highly trained and are there for your security and comfort, and while maybe not earning a very large wage they certainly make more than enough for a living.
This.

How many times have we been lectured on FT that FA's are there for safety and service to a far lesser amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.