Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Outshone By BA in Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rjw242
If so, you might want to consider travel insurance. AA's operations have been abysmal lately, but they're not vastly worse than the other carriers (something like 81% on time so far this year, vs. 88% for Delta, for instance). If you're losing that much money due to AA, you'll likely lose less (but still a non-negligible amount) on other carriers.
In addition to travel insurance one other factor to consider is flying to/from the EU on EU-registered carriers, in which case I believe EU 261 provisions apply to both EU-inbound and EU-outbound flights. (and I believe Switzerland counts, through bilaterals, even though they aren't EU).

Originally Posted by FlyingHighest
Changing my destination would have been cheap and easy. "Opposite side of the country" is a dramatic statement. It was a comparable flight.
It is also quite literally the truth. Saying GVA and ZUR are "comparable" is like saying JFK and BWI are comparable or BOS and JFK are comparable. They are different markets with different pricing considerations. There's a reason AA sold you (and you bought) a ticket to ZUR not a ticket to "any airport in Switzerland"

I'm still saying that had you asked for a reroute to GVA when the issue arose at JFK, there was a good chance you would have been successful. The fact is that you accepted a reroute to ZRH.

So I will vote with my consumer dollars and stop fighting AA about this, to your point. I agree 100% with your comment that it is not worth my time and trouble. Thank you (truly) for responding to this thread and helping me face the reality of the situation. I certainly don't need any extra stress in my life! :-)
Good call. And thank you for actually engaging in a reasoned dicussion here, all too often we see "one and done" rant posts where we never see the OP again. Hope you stick around!
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I think they are obligated to deliver me to Zurich at a time that is reasonably close to my scheduled arrival time, absent any weather issues. If they fail to do that, they should help mitigate my added expenses, but only if there is an easy and cheap way to do that.
Unfortunately they're not. You actually have a contract with them (the "contract of carriage") which provides:

9. Carrier undertakes to use its best efforts to carry the passenger and baggage with reasonable dispatch. Times shown in timetables or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract... Schedules are subject to change without notice. Carrier assumes no responsibility for making connections.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

I get the legal thing. I just think it would be good customer service to mitigate a customer's expenses when it can be done easily and cheaply, especially following a long delay or cancellation. Kind of like what BA did in this situation.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:05 pm
Suspended

I get the legal thing. I just think it would be good customer service to mitigate a customer's expenses when it can be done easily and cheaply, especially following a long delay or cancellation...
Perhaps. But they didn't (at least to your satisfaction) in your case and they don't generally, and that is -not- changing anytime soon.

So, choose where you spend your money accordingly and forget any fantasy you might have about being made whole here, or, "changing the way they operate" etc.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Respectfully I'm not quite that pessimistic. I think if enough people complain to AA and on public forums about an issue, they would probably look at fixing it. I have impacted the policies of large companies once or twice when I was younger and had much more time to fight issues like this. That being said, I get the message and I don't plan to spend a lot more time on this.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
File a DOT complaint, when you get a cut and paste reply, email your DOT analyst and let them know that AA replied with a cut and paste and not a with substantive response.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had been wronged by US Air once a few years ago (as a UA *A Gold) and they refused to do anything.

I had to fly AA last week and ran into problems both ways with poor handling of delays (one was weather and one was MX). I know there is no point complaining to AA so I just went directly to the DOT. I actually got a response back in a few days from the DOT (somewhat a form letter but still showed they read it).

It is really not about what I get, it is about ruining their stats
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Good advice about changing the destination while at JFK, rather than attempting to do so at LHR.

It is worth noting that any AA statement that they would *never* reroute a customer without charging the fare difference is trivially easy to disprove. (They rerouted me from BOS-DFW to MHT-PHL-DFW on Friday when the original flight was delayed 4 1/2 hours.)
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:36 am
HGH

In my very limited experience with AA and BA on a delay, BA also drastically outshone AA.

We arrived in LHR 4 hours late in May and in danger of missing our BA flight out (which had already been rescheduled once). As far as even trying the AA connections desk - no AA staff in sight at the gate or at the counter on the way out. And, I didn't know Heathrow well enough to try breaking from the line of lemmings traipsing over to T5, all the while trying to get my cell phone to make a connection.

The BA staff was waiting with signs for the late planes (one from CTL one from JFK), directly people into the appropriate queue. The help was fast and on target. Night and day difference.

But, I will keep flying AA. You know why? Because they are the cheapest and have a ton of daily direct flights to everywhere I normally fly.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
Originally Posted by username
I had been wronged by US Air once a few years ago (as a UA *A Gold) and they refused to do anything.

I had to fly AA last week and ran into problems both ways with poor handling of delays (one was weather and one was MX). I know there is no point complaining to AA so I just went directly to the DOT. I actually got a response back in a few days from the DOT (somewhat a form letter but still showed they read it).

It is really not about what I get, it is about ruining their stats
If your response appears cut and paste let your DOT analyst know. TK was fined a lot of money for doing that. I submitted two identical replies from AA to myself and another person to my DOT analyst showing AA was in violation.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by rjw242
If so, you might want to consider travel insurance. AA's operations have been abysmal lately, but they're not vastly worse than the other carriers (something like 81% on time so far this year, vs. 88% for Delta, for instance). If you're losing that much money due to AA, you'll likely lose less (but still a non-negligible amount) on other carriers.
Yes, but this is in large part because Delta pads their schedule more than AA. I thought AA had the best performance of the big carriers for "left gate on time", which is one of the few things they can control? Airport congestion and ATC delays and weather are out of their control, but padding the schedule improves the on-time rating...
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by no1cub17
So if BA is so great, ask them if they'll check your bags through on separate PNRs. Even if both flights are BA. Then ask them that say you bought a BA ticket ORD-LHR and then your plans changed and you bought a separate BA ticket LHR-PRG - ask them if they would through-check your bag or if they'd protect you to PRG in case of IRROPS.

I'll wait.
Fwiw, AA was unable to through check bags for me on a recent AA-BA itinerary on separate tickets (PHX-PHL-DUB-LCY). In part because the AA interface for former US agents seems very limited.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Let me weight on this.

First, you should have don't this at JFK, not in the middle off the ticket.

Second, airport agents have more power to change things, especially during irregular operations, than phone agents. So an airport agent in JFK could have done the same if requested and you had planned in advance to get to GVA. You got lucky with the BA staff, but that will not probably be the norm.

Third, compensation as pointed above won't apply to your case. The best way to proceed is to file a DOT form, which is clearly read by AA personnel and must be solved by them.

Fourth, AA is aware of their abysmal performance. I don't think much will be changed by sending customer service emails, your best bet is to file a DOT form if you want anything changed.

Finally, enjoy your vacation and stop lingering in flyertalk.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!!! :-)
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My experience with US was that they were very inflexible with IRROPS handling - they would not protect you on another flight unless you are DM Chairman. Has the "culture" migrated to AA? It seems there is no sense of moral obligation (which I am sure the system does not have a reason code for ) to make things right for OP for the trouble caused by them in the first place....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.