Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA A321T Westbound Redeye Transcon Catering?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, AC, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG

Has anybody flown on AA JFK-LAX Westbound late night flights yet? By late night, I mean the flights AA185 or AA23, which are departing JFK at 9:00pm and 10:30pm respectively and only getting into LAX at 1-2am in the morning.

What is the catering like on these flights? Do they still serve the full dinner menu or do they try and get away with only a snack basket? Lol!
Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by RaSiDa
Has anybody flown on AA JFK-LAX Westbound late night flights yet? By late night, I mean the flights AA185 or AA23, which are departing JFK at 9:00pm and 10:30pm respectively and only getting into LAX at 1-2am in the morning.

What is the catering like on these flights? Do they still serve the full dinner menu or do they try and get away with only a snack basket? Lol!
No personal experience, but EF is showing "S" (snack)

EDIT: But a dummy booking allowed a light meal selection. (Cheese plate, meatloaf, shrimp sliders.)
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Here are some reports from the 2016 domestic meals thread:

JFK-SFO departing at 8:50pm

JFK-LAX departing after 8:00pm

JFK-SFO departing at 8:19pm
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RaSiDa

Yes, I've taken AA23 departing NYC at 10:30 PM from JFK to LAX (actually left at 2:30 AM thanks to a lovely delay) and I was in J and they did serve a full meal service. Well, there was an app and shrimp quesadillas and another option. And dessert.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: BAEC
flew LAX-JFK after 8pm in F a couple of times. Not really a full menu but still better than your usual "snack" experience on regular domestic flights leaving after 8pm. Some small bites, warmed up and served on a fully set up table. I was disappointed my vegetarian special meal was instead served stone cold off of the fridge. But you can politely ask to warm it up.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 12:23 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
These flights basically have the same menu as the eastbound red eyes.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:33 am

Sorry to bring this thread back up!

Has there been any changes to first and business class westbound redeye transcontinental flights?
I found two versions:
1. AA has matched up Delta and JetBlue, which both served a full dinner on these late westbound redeye flights (after 8pm).
2. AA serves the same eastbound redeye meal, which is basically a soup/salad/entree with a tub of ice cream.

I may have to fly AA 185 (9:15pm to LAX) and want to be mentally prepared, and perhaps make sure I am at the airport early for the Flagship Dining.

Thanks,
Carfield
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
When does AA23 (10:30pm JFK-LAX) even return to the schedule? I don't see it.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Carfield
Has there been any changes to first and business class westbound redeye transcontinental flights?
No - the late night westbound departure still has the same service as the eastbound redeye. It's not the full experience as the daytime flight, but it's better than a majority of AA domestic flights.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Finsup72
No - the late night westbound departure still has the same service as the eastbound redeye. It's not the full experience as the daytime flight, but it's better than a majority of AA domestic flights.
That's disappointed but not unexpected from AA these days.
Good to know so I will make sure I eat before flying!

Thanks
Carfield
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by N1120A
These flights basically have the same menu as the eastbound red eyes.
When does that "Redeye" menu kick in? I am on the 830pm JFK-LAX and am hoping for a full dinner as I am working right up until departure. I thought these are supposed to be served like international flights. Drink/nuts first, then appetizer/salad, then main meal, then dessert. Why is everything always being presented on one tray in most trip reports for this route?
Assuming they don't set up any type of snacking station for mid-flight munchies either?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
My experience is that the amount and quality of food between the red eye/late evening flight and the normal dinner time flights is about the same. The main differences are they are plated together instead of salad/app/bread first and dessert is a tub of ice cream instead of sundae with toppings/cheese plate. It is definitely plenty of food and they do serve warm nuts, cookies midflight (I believe the eastbound redeyes have scones and smoothies but I’m never awake for them), and have the normal transcon snack basket options of snacks and fresh fruit.

I don’t think you’d really be disappointed by the food service on the later evening westbound. It’s definitely better than domestic F and way better than snack service. The only thing I think you might be dispppinted by is that it comes all at once on one platter and maybe if you really want a full sundae/prefer the cheese plate. As for the former, honestly I prefer that much of the time so I can do work or sleep.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I took AA185, the 9:30pm JFK-LAX flight. I would say that this was a full meal service -- for example, one entree choice was beef, there was an appetizer, etc.

I was a bit disappointed in my first AA premium transcon experience. No PDBs offered, the entire meal was plated at once (this sounds like the standard, based on the previous post), service was from the cart (this may be standard on these flights, so that may be an unfair criticism), and no made to order sundaes despite the AA website explicitly saying this was part of the J service (one option was ice cream, though). There was also no champagne in J, but again, that may be standard.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ikwia
There was also no champagne in J, but again, that may be standard.
Did they actually tell you there was no champagne, or was there simply none offered? There should always be (/there always is) champagne in J.

Or are you saying that there was only prosecco and no French Champagne? (legitimate complaint if so but there is often no French Champagne)
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by ikwia
I took AA185, the 9:30pm JFK-LAX flight. I would say that this was a full meal service -- for example, one entree choice was beef, there was an appetizer, etc.

I was a bit disappointed in my first AA premium transcon experience. No PDBs offered, the entire meal was plated at once (this sounds like the standard, based on the previous post), service was from the cart (this may be standard on these flights, so that may be an unfair criticism), and no made to order sundaes despite the AA website explicitly saying this was part of the J service (one option was ice cream, though). There was also no champagne in J, but again, that may be standard.
That's really lousy for a 6+ hour flight, especially when purchasing lie-flat J-class ticketing. How frustrating. Probably expensive ticket, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.