Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA A321T Westbound Redeye Transcon Catering?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA A321T Westbound Redeye Transcon Catering?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Spanish
That's really lousy for a 6+ hour flight, especially when purchasing lie-flat J-class ticketing. How frustrating. Probably expensive ticket, too.
Originally Posted by ikwia
I took AA185, the 9:30pm JFK-LAX flight. I would say that this was a full meal service -- for example, one entree choice was beef, there was an appetizer, etc.

I was a bit disappointed in my first AA premium transcon experience. No PDBs offered, the entire meal was plated at once (this sounds like the standard, based on the previous post), service was from the cart (this may be standard on these flights, so that may be an unfair criticism), and no made to order sundaes despite the AA website explicitly saying this was part of the J service (one option was ice cream, though). There was also no champagne in J, but again, that may be standard.
That route is somewhat of an exception to the post-8:00 PM no meal policy that AA has in place and still better than the non-flagship post-8:00 departure transcons that operate without any meal service at all. AKA a tray and the lie-flat seat is better than a 737 and a "snack basket" on a similar distance.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I took AA185, the 9:30pm JFK-LAX flight. I would say that this was a full meal service -- for example, one entree choice was beef, there was an appetizer, etc.

I was a bit disappointed in my first AA premium transcon experience. No PDBs offered, the entire meal was plated at once (this sounds like the standard, based on the previous post), service was from the cart (this may be standard on these flights, so that may be an unfair criticism), and no made to order sundaes despite the AA website explicitly saying this was part of the J service (one option was ice cream, though). There was also no champagne in J, but again, that may be standard.
I haven't been on a flight that late, but only times I can recall getting a meal plated at once is breakfast service and eastbound transcon (which most people can just get a quick meal and go into sleep), and I think it makes sense to have everything plated at once since 9:30pm departure is basically a redeye too I was always offered a PDB on transcon flights but this really depends on the crew (and honestly this is so difficult to do PDB on AA's A321T even in first class as everyone boards from the front door). Next time maybe you could try a dinner time transcon flight as they are always better serviced (i.e. full multi-course dinner + sundae as promised)
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Did they actually tell you there was no champagne, or was there simply none offered? There should always be (/there always is) champagne in J.

Or are you saying that there was only prosecco and no French Champagne? (legitimate complaint if so but there is often no French Champagne)
I asked for champagne, and the FA reached for the Prosecco on the cart. I asked if they had actual champagne, and she said that no, this was the only sparkling wine they had.

Originally Posted by JALOO5-Flyer
I haven't been on a flight that late, but only times I can recall getting a meal plated at once is breakfast service and eastbound transcon (which most people can just get a quick meal and go into sleep), and I think it makes sense to have everything plated at once since 9:30pm departure is basically a redeye too
Fair perspective...but I’m sure some people consider this a “6:30pm” flight...but those people are likely in the minority.

Next time maybe you could try a dinner time transcon flight as they are always better serviced (i.e. full multi-course dinner + sundae as promised)
I assure you I didn’t pick this late flight by choice But yes, hopefully sometime I can try it under more favorable circumstances.

Originally Posted by enpremiere
That route is somewhat of an exception to the post-8:00 PM no meal policy that AA has in place and still better than the non-flagship post-8:00 departure transcons that operate without any meal service at all. AKA a tray and the lie-flat seat is better than a 737 and a "snack basket" on a similar distance.
Absolutely true. Unfortunately it is also much, much more expensive (at least in a premium cabin).

Last edited by ikwia; Mar 2, 2019 at 9:56 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Post-8pm premium JFK-LAX/SFO and vice versa transcons get an abbreviated dinner service, as you observed, which is identified in the GDS as a "snack" meal code rather than "dinner". Standard offering is one-tray service, with single appetizer, choice of three entrees, and pre-packaged ice cream (not made-to-order sundaes, not pre-served ice cream desserts on midcon dinners). Sure, it misses most of the bells and whistles of regular dinner service, but quantity-wise I have found the meal to be largely sufficient.

The irony is that select post-8pm non-premium transcons do get full standard domestic dinner service: appetizer, salad, choice of two entrees, and made-to-order sundae or cheese plate for dessert, though obviously they are operated on regular domestic aircraft (including the dreaded LUS 321). Routes that come to mind are JFK-SAN/SEA (if/when they are running the late flights in the summer), PHL-LAX/SFO/SAN, MIA-SFO/SEA.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by dkc192
Post-8pm premium JFK-LAX/SFO and vice versa transcons get an abbreviated dinner service, as you observed, which is identified in the GDS as a "snack" meal code rather than "dinner". Standard offering is one-tray service, with single appetizer, choice of three entrees, and pre-packaged ice cream (not made-to-order sundaes, not pre-served ice cream desserts on midcon dinners). Sure, it misses most of the bells and whistles of regular dinner service, but quantity-wise I have found the meal to be largely sufficient.

The irony is that select post-8pm non-premium transcons do get full standard domestic dinner service: appetizer, salad, choice of two entrees, and made-to-order sundae or cheese plate for dessert, though obviously they are operated on regular domestic aircraft (including the dreaded LUS 321). Routes that come to mind are JFK-SAN/SEA (if/when they are running the late flights in the summer), PHL-LAX/SFO/SAN, MIA-SFO/SEA.
I flew a 9:30PM JFK-SFO this week, and did get a nicely presented ice cream in a glass (not a made-to-order sundae), but also not a cup of hagen-daz either.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by no2chem
I flew a 9:30PM JFK-SFO this week, and did get a nicely presented ice cream in a glass (not a made-to-order sundae), but also not a cup of hagen-daz either.
Oh, that's interesting! I wonder if it's a catering change or a miscater; I last took one of these flights over a year ago. The ice cream in a glass sounds like the "pre-served ice cream" I was referring to on midcon dinner flights. If it is indeed a catering change rather than a miscater, I'd say it is a slight improvement over the previous pre-packaged cup of Haagan Dazs or Ben & Jerry's.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver

I asked for champagne, and the FA reached for the Prosecco on the cart. I asked if they had actual champagne, and she said that no, this was the only sparkling wine they had.
Admittedly, I’ve only ever flown the A321-T in F, but it’s my understanding that true French Champagne has never been on regular offer in J as compared to F where it’s been standard for the past few years. Indeed, on a recent A321-T flight in F, they ran out of the French Champagne in F and the F/A went back to J and grabbed a bottle of Prosecco to offer in its place.As a Champagne purist, I politely declined and went with a glass of still white instead…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.