Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Involuntary Award Changes / What To Do (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Involuntary (Carrier Imposed) Award Changes Questions
Please feel free to add to or correct the information herein.

NOTE: For voluntary award changes (changes you wish the airline will make), see All Voluntary Award Change: date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, cancel, etc..

Occasionally, AA or a partner carrier may make a schedule change or flight cancellation that negatively affects an award. These changes can include significant flight reschedules (or cancellations) that affect minimum connection times, change departure times, eliminate the class of service you secured originally, etc.

AA's legal obligation ends at redepositing all the AAdvantage miles used and refunding all taxes and carrier imposed charges. But in actuality, AA will generally try to help in these cases. AA can:

1)!Move you and your companions to other flights operated by American Airlines, regardless of whether there is award availability or not, or whether it's the same routing or not. Usually an agent will do this by calling Revenue Management to request revenue seat release to award seats.

2) Have the AA Liaison contact the originally scheduled airline to request they release revenue seat(s) to awards on suitable flights. This generally requires 72 hours (three working days), excluding holidays, weekends, etc.

3) Redeposit your miles free of charge and refund fees and taxes you were charged.

Some agents are more knowledgeable and/or willing to assist you. In cases where they aren't, you can request speaking to a Supervisor, or hang up and call again so you can speak to another agent.

Below are the usual rules for voluntary award changes; though they generally apply, some rules may be waived in cases where you have had your award altered involuntarily.

Award changes, ordinary

NOTE: More extensive listing of terms and conditions are listed in oneworld and other airline Awards Rules, Information 2015 on

Also see: AA oneworld and Other Airline ("Partner") Award information, rules (2015 on) (link).

As long as origin and destination (but read on for exceptions such as first / last segment) remain the same, change / award redeposit fees are usually waived for awards under certain circumstances when date, connection, routing or carrier changes are made - as long as you do not try to change between all AA oneworld awards and non-oneworld partner airlines.

E.g. an all AA award such as SEA-HNL-SYD using AS can not be changed to use JL without requiring award redeposit.

Awards must be used within one year of booking; for travel beyond that, the award miles will have to be redeposited and new awards secured.

Award miles reinstatement: Redeposit fees are waived for Executive Platinum members. See here for more information on award miles reinstatement.

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the Old award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes abd fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Co-terminals: For award purposes, there are no co-terminals; changing co-terminal airports (MIA and FLL, PBI; JFK, LGA, EWR etc.) will incur a $150 change fee. See this thread for detail on award miles redeposit.

An award using AS, FJ, HA or TN to South Pacific can not be changed to AA or QF without requiring award redeposit (or vice versa).

Dropping segments: Awards made on AA or / and "All Partner" carriers will allow changes mentioned above without requiring redeposit fees. Instances of dropping an origin segment can be allowed, or a final segment - as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards); changing the mileage (miles required) of the award claimed or the number of awards claimed.

Segments can be dropped as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards). If you are refused, refer agents to the in-house memo/advisory dated 02/03/11 entitled "Dropping OWFA segments." (guv1976)

As JonNYC posted:

This document was current as of December 2014:

For permitted changes and fees, see this post in the airline partner award thread.

If the award is AA and oneworld, changes may be made as long as the main / governing /Most Significant carrier makes an unconstructed fare on the award routing and the governing fare's carrier is not changed to one not offering such a fare.

Close-in booking fee: Changes made to bring travel to under 21 days from award issue will incur close-in booking fees of $75.

Schedule changes: On international awards, schedule changes of two hours or longer, or those breaking connections by bringing them below MCT / minimum connection times, flight cancellations, generally may be cancelled and redeposited without fees, or engender greater flexibility in changes. With AA awards, it is possible award seating may be opened when there is none; with partners, AA can appeal to the Liaison to the partner to open seating in these cases (the partner airline may or may not grant the exception requested). Equipment change constitutes a schedule change and you will be able to get the fee waived pre this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Partner changes: If the award includes non-oneworld partners such as AS, EY, FJ or TN, or a oneworld carrier award is changed to include a non-oneworld carrier, significant fees will be incurred ($150).

If Maximum Permitted Miles (usually 125% of the most direct available routing) for an award are exceeded, two awards may be charged

or

MSC fare requirements: The most significant or prevailing carrier, usually the one with the transoceanic sector, must offer an unconstructed fare between desired origin and destination; if a fare would require "married segments", two awards may be required.

Changes that require different award type -

Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage award(s) than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement charge (see below), and a new award ticket issued (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account).

Changes to your outbound travel date, resulting in a departure within 21 days -

Close-in booking fee: A $75 USD award processing charge will apply for a confirmed change to the date on an AAdvantage MileSAAver and AAnytime award ticket if the change results in a new outbound travel date that is within 21 days of the original booking date (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold members using miles from their account).

Contact AAdvantage Reservations to change your itinerary, pay the applicable charge and have your ticket reissued prior to travel.

Canceling Awards / Reinstating Award Tickets
(Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account)

Award class changes: MileSAAver to AAnytime changes generally incur no fees; conversely, AAnytime to MileSAAver awards generally will.

Award cabin class "upgrades" (e.g. Y to J): If the change made is an increase of miles to another cabin class, fees are not normally charged (but some government required fees such as UK Air Passenger Duty, airport passenger facility fees, etc. may change).

Redepositing awards incurs a fee of $150 other than for Executive Platinum members redepositing to their accounts. If two or more awards are being redeposited to the same account at the same time, the fees are $150 for the first award, $25 for every award thereafter. Note the awards do not have to share the same PNR, though some less knowledgeable agents will insist so.

Please see: State of the award reinstatement fee (Nov 2015 - clarifying)

FAQ: Cancel award ticket / cancellation (time frame, taxes, etc.) (merged threads)

Link to archive of older posts on this topic
Print Wikipost

Involuntary Award Changes / What To Do (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AA cannot book the CX flight itself unless there is availability in the award inventory and can only ask its liasion with CX to request it

If the OneWorld liaison has contacted CX and it has been turned down, then calling again does not seem to have any value

Did the agent send a request to the liaison ( which takes a couple o days to respond ) or did the agent just say that he/she had checked with CX?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:36 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I didn't realize KA had any flights/planes with out business class.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:01 pm

KA853 shows availability in business for that date on BA - so not sure what the issue is. I'd call back.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by erik123
KA853 shows availability in business for that date on BA - so not sure what the issue is. I'd call back.
I agree.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
AA cannot book the CX flight itself unless there is availability in the award inventory and can only ask its liasion with CX to request it

If the OneWorld liaison has contacted CX and it has been turned down, then calling again does not seem to have any value

Did the agent send a request to the liaison ( which takes a couple o days to respond ) or did the agent just say that he/she had checked with CX?
I was put on hold for approx 10 minutes. I am now also limited to 2 luggage instead of business class 3 for the remaining legs of the flight.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by phiota
I was put on hold for approx 10 minutes. I am now also limited to 2 luggage instead of business class 3 for the remaining legs of the flight.
The CX business class baggage allowance for journeys to/from the Americas has only been 2 pieces - CX did not have a 3 piece allowance for business class
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The CX business class baggage allowance for journeys to/from the Americas has only been 2 pieces - CX did not have a 3 piece allowance for business class
My mistake. It was two just different weight limits:

Economy
2 pieces
23kg /50lbs each

Business
2 pieces
32kg /70lbs each
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Sched change question on reward tx

Reviving this thread as it seemed most appropriate for my question. Mods, if there's a better place pls move.

AA award tx in J on QF. Domestic flights in AU. No AA status. First time using AA points. I have *G status.

Found out by accident today one of the four flights on the tx had a sched change that puts me in violation of MCT at Melbourne. Called in and advised they would rebook me but in economy. Refused since I "paid" for business. Eventually thru help desk, they found an earlier flight with a longer connection.

Is there anything else I should do or should have done? Is this the best possible outcome? Consequently, I am losing time (3 hrs) at my point of departure due to earlier flight and spending it in the QF lounge in Melbourne.

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

Last edited by Bartolo; Aug 25, 2017 at 9:55 pm
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EP
Did u check the schedules yourself? Do u see any other connections that work better for You?

short of asking QF to rollout a special plane for you, I don't see what you can do. Schedule changes happen all the time.
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Reviving this thread as it seemed most appropriate for my question. Mods, if there's a better place pls move.

AA award tx in J on QF. Domestic flights in AU. No AA status. First time using AA points. I have *G status.

Found out by accident today one of the four flights on the tx had a sched change that puts me in violation of MCT at Melbourne. Called in and advised they would rebook me but in economy. Refused since I "paid" for business. Eventually thru help desk, they found an earlier flight with a longer connection.

Is there anything else I should do or should have done? Is this the best possible outcome? Consequently, I am losing time (3 hrs) at my point of departure due to earlier flight and spending it in the QF lounge in Melbourne.

Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

We have moved your posts to this current thread.

Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page. You have essentially three options:

1) AA can reaccommodation you on AA flights, regardless of whether there are award seats available or not, as well as on other flights and routings award seats might be available, without charge. The agent will have to put forth a request to Revenue Mabpnagendnt, iirc.

2) AA can have their Liaison contact Qantas to request reaccommodation for their involuntary change. This may take as long as three working days.

3) You can cancel the award, have the miles redeposited in your account and be reimbursed fees and taxes you prepaid.

Some agents are more willing to help. You may have to call back or request a supervisor. Connect times may be prolonged with Texas hurricane and Hong Kong weather issues.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....Found out by accident today one of the four flights on the tx had a schedule change that puts me in violation of MCT at Melbourne. Called in and advised they would rebook me but in economy. Refused since I "paid" for business. Eventually thru help desk, they found an earlier flight with a longer connection.
QF flight from where to MEL?
QF flight from MEL to where?

Originally Posted by JDiver
<snip>
2) AA can have their Liaison contact Qantas to request re-accommodation for their involuntary change. This may take as long as three working days.
3) You can cancel the award, have the miles redeposited in your account and be reimbursed fees and taxes you prepaid.

Some agents are more willing to help. You may have to call back or request a supervisor. Connect times may be prolonged with Texas hurricane and Hong Kong weather issues.
And it being the weekend in Australia
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Many thanks to all for the ideas in these posts. Appreciated. If anyone ever needs *A assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

I did check the QF schedule and the new tx is probably best for me in the circumstances. Since tx was already changed as a reaccommodation, I'm guessing another change at my request would incur a fee? If I'm wrong on that, please advise.

There was one later itinerary (same day) but it wasn't offered and I was reluctant to raise it because I have an early flight the next day on a different tx with a *A airline and can't risk missing it. Also don't want to increase likelihood of bag not arriving.

The only way I got what I ended up with was via a supervisor and redoing this once connected took almost 1.5 hours. The initial wait to speak with an agent was interminable but I attribute that to the hurricane. Agent sounded exhausted.

As of this writing, I don't have the new tx from AA but agent said it could take 24 hrs. The silver lining is that QF, when I called them, could see the revised booking and agreed to assign seats. Previously they refused to assign seats even though they had the locator and saw the file.

Hate to think what would have been involved with a complex itinerary. FT reading over the past almost two years was invaluable because I knew to push for something else other than the reseat to economy that was offered but wasn't sure of the rules and regs for OW alliance especially since it was a partner tx.

On my travel day there are a couple of options with a somewhat shorter connection time in Melbourne. Anyone know if on a reward tx from a partner and no OW status, I can go standby?

Sad that the involuntary change put me 5 min over MCT in Melbourne. However, there are worse outcomes than extra time in the lounge in Melbourne. Thanks again to everyone for the help. ^
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:35 am

Could I get some expert advice please?
We have 3 AA award tickets (DFW to ORD then JAL ORD to NRT and NRT to TPE).
Originally, the JAL flight was departing at 10:40 am so we booked the AA flight departing at 5:15 am and arriving in to ORD at 7:42 am. That gave us a 3 hour connection vs. the 7:00 am flight getting in at 9:29 am and giving us just over an hour connection time. While I realize connecting AA to JAL in ORD should be pretty easy, we didn't want to chance a delay and miss our connection (2 of us are confirmed on JAL First and the other in JAL business). Anyway... the JAL flight is now scheduled to depart at 11:40, making our stay in ORD 4 hours. That also means the flight arriving in at 9:29 will now give us 2 hours to connect, something we are comfortable doing. My question is, can I ask AA to open up award seats on AA2220 (departing at 7 am)? We are in First Class on the earlier AA flight, but there is currently no availability in First on points on AA2220, only coach seats using points.

As always, thanks in advance for your advice!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:57 pm

Award re-routing for SEA-JFK Schedule Change

I have booked the following Award via AA for late December (2 people).
SEA-JFK (735am-403pm)
JFK-AUH in EY first (departs at 10pm)

Today I noticed my SEA-JFK segment got changed to
SEA (950pm, prior day) - JFK 619am
which leaves me a much longer layover at JFK.

The 950pm flight is the only SEA-JFK direct flight they have on schedule now.

I am wondering would I be able to call and ask them to reroute me to SEA-SFO-JFK?
There is currently no saver availability for J and F for SFO-JFK. But would it be reasonable to at least ask them to open up SFO-JFK in J?
And is asking for F pushing too much?

Or do you guys suggest any routing that might be better (routing through LAX seem to be similar but I havent check in detail)

Thank you.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I think you'd have better luck asking for SEA-ORD-JFK or SEA-PHL-JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.