Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi Aadvantage Platinum Select card benefits (many end 22 Sep 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card benefits (as of August, 2018)

Many of these end 22 Sep 2019

“As a cardmember, you will continue to receive a range of other card benefits including FICO® Credit Score, Citi® Identity Theft Solutions, and Citi Entertainment. In addition, we will soon be announcing exciting new card benefits.”
  • First checked bag fee waived on domestic itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation.
  • Preferred boarding so you can start your journey sooner on all American Airlines flights.
  • No foreign transaction fees so you can shop like a local wherever your travels take you.
  • 25% savings on inflight food and beverage purchases when you use your Citi® / AAdvantage® card on American Airlines flights.
  • 2 miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
  • 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants
  • 2 miles per $1 spent at gas stations
  • $100 American Airlines flight discount opportunity

To learn more about your card benefits, visit www.cardbenefits.citi.com or see your Directory of Services.

Visit https://information.citi.com/citiaadvantage/intro for restrictions on warning double miles and $100 AA discount opportunity
Print Wikipost

Citi Aadvantage Platinum Select card benefits (many end 22 Sep 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
An email from Citi today:

As a reminder, your Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card now comes with three new benefits. You'll now earn:

• 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants1
  • 2 miles per $1 spent at gas stations1
  • $100 American Airlines flight discount opportunity2
Plus, continue to enjoy other great benefits of your card, like first checked bag free on domestic itineraries, preferred boarding and 2X AAdvantage® miles on eligible American Airlines purchases.

1 As determined by the merchant code associated with that provide

2 After $20,000 spend during your Card holding year
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by JDiver
An email from Citi today:

As a reminder, your Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card now comes with three new benefits. You'll now earn:
  • 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants1
  • 2 miles per $1 spent at gas stations1
  • $100 American Airlines flight discount opportunity2
Plus, continue to enjoy other great benefits of your card, like first checked bag free on domestic itineraries, preferred boarding and 2X AAdvantage® miles on eligible American Airlines purchases.

1 As determined by the merchant code associated with that provide

2 After $20,000 spend during your Card holding year
Notice that there is no mention of the 10% rebate for award tickets. That was one of the main benefits of the card .... until now.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by billgrates3
Notice that there is no mention of the 10% rebate for award tickets. That was one of the main benefits of the card .... until now.
The full benefits listed on the Citi site (shown in the Wikipost) don’t list the rebated miles either. Not to mention, IMO a $100 airline credit for a $20,000 spend is... I just dint have a word to describe that level of cheapness, miserliness, parsimony, penny-pinching, etc.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by billgrates3
Red and Silver Aviator cards from Barclays still list that benefit.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:24 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by JDiver
The full benefits listed on the Citi site (shown in the Wikipost) don’t list the rebated miles either. Not to mention, IMO a $100 airline credit for a $20,000 spend is... I just dint have a word to describe that level of cheapness, miserliness, parsimony, penny-pinching, etc.
Thanks for pointing that out. I saw billgrates3 mentioned in another thread that it's dead as of 9/1/2018. Which is really infuriating, as I'll be booking a (hopefully) once in a lifetime trip in October. That's annoying. I have an appointment at Citibank later today for an unrelated matter though, so I'll see what I can glean.

Edit: Nobody I spoke to seemed to have heard anything about the change, but I didn't get the impression they were that familiar with the credit card offering to begin with. Oh well.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Aug 4, 2018 at 3:44 pm
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:36 am
HGH

They still list 10% mileage rebate under the travel benefits, at least for now.

Travel Benefits
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Has anyone had any issues with the travel insurance benefit? I am traveling to the Dominican in the end of Sept. which is hurricane season. It looks like they will reimburse anything the air carrier or hotel wont up to 5K IF all flights to the destination are canceled for at least 24h. This seems to be the same coverage offered as an add on through my travel agent, so I am inclined to just put the trip on my card and decline any additional coverage from the travel agent.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:29 pm

I got the 10% rebate (capped at 10K miles) yesterday. I have a new Citi personal plat issued 2 weeks ago.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
[deleted - found more appropriate thread]

Last edited by drewguy; Sep 9, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Hey DAArksiders!

I am not sure if y'all might be aware, but it appears across product lines (I have the AA EX MC) that Ciit is removing many of its travel benefits.

Effective September 22, 2019, Worldwide Car Rental Insurance, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection, Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance, Trip Delay Protection, Baggage Delay Protection, Lost Baggage Protection, Medical Evacuation, Citi® Price Rewind, 90 Day Return Protection, and Missed Event Ticket Protection will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available, and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms. Roadside Assistance Dispatch Service and Travel & Emergency Assistance will be discontinued and will not be available on or after September 22, 2019.

I am sure for some its not a big deal, but I know I used and valued many of these.

Safe Travels
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Hey DAArksiders!

I am not sure if y'all might be aware, but it appears across product lines (I have the AA EX MC) that Ciit is removing many of its travel benefits.

Effective September 22, 2019, Worldwide Car Rental Insurance, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection, Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance, Trip Delay Protection, Baggage Delay Protection, Lost Baggage Protection, Medical Evacuation, Citi® Price Rewind, 90 Day Return Protection, and Missed Event Ticket Protection will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available, and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms. Roadside Assistance Dispatch Service and Travel & Emergency Assistance will be discontinued and will not be available on or after September 22, 2019.

I am sure for some its not a big deal, but I know I used and valued many of these.

Safe Travels
Do you have a link to this notice? Did you get an email? I have the Executive MC and haven't received anything.

This is a pretty drastic gutting of the card benefits. I used many of them at one time or another. For example, the car rental insurance covers Ireland, which is pretty rare. What's left after these benefits are gone? AC membership and the opportunity to earn increasingly valueless miles?
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by Stripe
Do you have a link to this notice? Did you get an email? I have the Executive MC and haven't received anything.

This is a pretty drastic gutting of the card benefits. I used many of them at one time or another. For example, the car rental insurance covers Ireland, which is pretty rare. What's left after these benefits are gone? AC membership and the opportunity to earn increasingly valueless miles?
Yeah it is. I learned about it by blogs and the like. Here is the link:https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Travel. Just then log in and look at the FAQ section. I have the same card too. Yeah it is pretty brutal. It starts September 22, 2019.

Safe Travels
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by GTITAN
Yeah it is. I learned about it by blogs and the like. Here is the link:https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Travel. Just then log in and look at the FAQ section. I have the same card too. Yeah it is pretty brutal. It starts September 22, 2019.
Shocking news! They remove even a basic benefit, such as Travel Insurance, even for the most expensive of their cards that have a $450 anual fee! Hard to understand.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Indeed, stripping away these benefits puts in the same league as the no-frills Barclays AA products. When signups slow I suppose one way to maintain margins is to cut the bennies but boy, the remaining benefits (if they can be called that) really don’t amount to much.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I’m curious how much longer the reduced mileage benefit is going to be around. It’s no longer listed as a benefit on a majority of the promotional materials. That’s the same treatment they did to the 10% rebate a few months prior to its demise.

As an elite, its not making much sense to hold on to this card anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.