Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Platinum bumped from Main Cabin Extra

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:10 am
Original Poster

AA Platinum bumped from Main Cabin Extra

I selected a MCE seat upon purchase of my LHR -> LAX ticket, which appeared in the app even after check-in, however the printed boarding pass I received at LHR was for a seat in the main coach cabin. The response I received from AA was this: (basically that MCE seats for elites are considered "upgrades" and not confirmed until they know if they can sell the seat since they cannot "lose revenue" by "giving away" these seats - but how much revenue are they going to lose if all their elites jump ship to another program?!?). Note: I've been a platinum member for 5+ years and gold before that.

July 5, 2016

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations regarding your preference for a Main Cabin Extra seat.

I apologize for any confusion regarding advance seat assignments. Our records do not indicate that you purchased a Main Cabin Extra seat. While the purchase of a Main Cabin Extra seat is always optional and not required, even when a flight is full (customers without prereserved seats are assigned seats at the airport), it does guarantee a customer receives their desired seat.

I can understand your surprise and disappointment with the reassigned seat and its location. With respect to our Main Cabin Extra seating arrangements, seats that are expected to be unsold are released for assignment to elite members who have requested upgrades. Please understand that there is a market for these seats, and we must be able to sell this service to last-minute passengers who are willing to pay premium fares. We cannot dilute revenue from the sale of these seats by giving away 100% of our premium product for a complimentary upgrade.

Despite our best efforts, we are unable to guarantee specific seats will be available upon check-in. This applies to seats requested directly with our Reservations agents as well as to seating requested via our website. Operational challenges encountered throughout our routing system will occasionally affect the cabin configuration and pre-assigned seating for a specific flight.

We value your long-standing loyalty and support and are eager to continue the relationship we have enjoyed over the years. Please be assured we are all working hard to provide the high quality service you have every right to expect when traveling on America

Sincerely,
Lisa M.
Customer Relations
American Airlines

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 6, 2016 at 1:06 am Reason: Redact last name of employee per privacy rules
Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL, UA
Unfortunate... But are you going to jump ship? They're betting you don't...
Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Interesting..not intuitive that International MCE would be treated differently than Domestic MCE. Did you try tweeting @AmericanAir ?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:15 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by AirP
Unfortunate... But are you going to jump ship? They're betting you don't...

That is a bunch of junk (AA response) if a elite chooses a MCE seat as is afforded to them by status at purchse it is not a "upgrade" if this happened to me MORE then once and this was their response then I would jump ship

But luckily AA allready gutted their program so I jumped ship but I book TATL flights with AA SOLELY because I get to sit in MCE so if they are just going o bump elites whenever they so feel like then might as well book others.

That said I have NOT been bumped DOWN by AA not even ONCE! IRROPS situations have left me with crap seats but thats life

Over all I am 97% happy with AA onboard and after aug 1, 15% with aadv

Perhaps just bad luck for OP but that response from AA would not go well with me!
Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
That letter makes no sense to me... Sounds like Lisa is making stuff up.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Microwave
That letter makes no sense to me... Sounds like Lisa is making stuff up.
Or more likely Lisa sent out the wrong form letter, probably intended to go to non elite/GLDs. I'll bet "Lisa" does not even exists, she is an automated robotic answering service.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by flora02
Our records do not indicate that you purchased a Main Cabin Extra seat. While the purchase of a Main Cabin Extra seat is always optional and not required, even when a flight is full (customers without prereserved seats are assigned seats at the airport), it does guarantee a customer receives their desired seat.
It sounds to me as well like Lisa is full of it or sent the Gold form letter. Is it even true that Platinums have the option to pay for MCE? I don't recall seeing that as an option on AA.com.

Last edited by ashill; Jul 6, 2016 at 5:01 am
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by ashill
It sounds to me as well like Lisa is full of it. Is it even true that Platinums have the option to pay for MCE? I don't recall seeing that as an option on AA.com.
It's certainly not possible to do online... I wonder what a phone agent would do if a Platinum called and insisted on paying for MCE? Even thinking about that makes my brain hurt...
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
It's certainly not possible to do online... I wonder what a phone agent would do if a Platinum called and insisted on paying for MCE? Even thinking about that makes my brain hurt...
The sky-is-falling possibility is that this reflects new training for a forthcoming change that wasn't supposed to be public. However, my guess, based on very little, is that the wrong form letter explanation is more likely.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:54 am
Suspended

Since OP is flying LHR - LAX, the aircraft is 777-300ER

Thus the MCE in this aircraft is 3-3-3 against 3-4-3 in coach, plus more legroom in general.

So yes there is a premium attached to this seats due to more legroom and more width.

Yes these seats have a price tag for non-elite if you are not able to choose upon check-in.

OP should have asked when check-in and the ground staff sometimes can give the real reason if both (OP and staff) are friendly.

Unfortunately I would not be surprised when AA copy what DL is doing for its MCE version.

Next year all these MCE seats on B77W will be replaced by Premier Economy and the new MCE section will be as same as the Y seats in term of layout and width.

SO I say it is tough luck, but OP should press further to find out why he lost the seat assignment. But do expect this to happen more in near future before Premier Economy finally role out, or AA announces the same MCE procedure as Delta.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
The sky-is-falling possibility is that this reflects new training for a forthcoming change that wasn't supposed to be public. However, my guess, based on very little, is that the wrong form letter explanation is more likely.
I'm thinking former versus latter.

The form letter makes no sense. MCE is an elite benefit. The elite was denied the benefit and got a non-sensical explanation.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
As the option for a Platinum or Executive Platinum to purchase an MCE seat does not exist in any way shape or form, it is impossible for this to be considered an "upgrade".
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
As the option for a Platinum or Executive Platinum to purchase an MCE seat does not exist in any way shape or form, it is impossible for this to be considered an "upgrade".
Exactly!
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by reeg2
MCE is an elite benefit. The elite was denied the benefit and got a non-sensical explanation.
Not for Golds, which is why the idea of a form letter for Golds makes some sense. Golds get a discount in advance or can get it for free within 24 hours, IIRC. A Gold who hasn't paid wouldn't have a clear claim on a MCE seat.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Not for Golds, which is why the idea of a form letter for Golds makes some sense. Golds get a discount in advance or can get it for free within 24 hours, IIRC. A Gold who hasn't paid wouldn't have a clear claim on a MCE seat.
Very, very incorrect. If this was greater than 24 hours when purchased, that means the person did pay the price for MCE, with a discount. As a gold, you do not have an option to pay "full price" for MCE, thus, he has a clear claim to the MCE seat because paying the discounted price for MCE is all he can do.

If this was done within 24 hours, the same thing applies. A gold ONLY has the option of getting it for free. They cannot pay for the MCE seat even if they want to.

This is why saying an MCE seat is treated the same way as an upgrade is complete BS. It is either an agent that doesn't know what they are talking about or a VERY bad turn for AA to start implementing this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.