Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Drops Photographer’s $20,000 Camera Kit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

http://petapixel.com/2016/06/23/amer...usands-damage/

From PetaPixel:

Imagine getting off a flight, walking over to get your (unwillingly) gate-checked case full of $20K of camera gear, and seeing a baggage handler walking up holding a few lenses and yelling “whose are these?” That’s exactly what happen to photographer Yosef Shidler of CJ Studios.

The incident took place on June 5th while Shidler was traveling to Detroit to cover a wedding. After being forced to gate-check his Pelican case, he walked out onto the ramp to see his case open and gear everywhere. “All of a sudden, the lady walks out holding on to my lenses asking ‘whose are these?'” he told us over the phone. “I was like ‘What the hell!?’ It’s unbelievable.”

Shidler claims his Pelican case was dropped from the loading ramp as it ascended, from a height of “about 7 or 8 feet.” The case burst open and camera bodies and lenses went rolling around on the tarmac. The story is going viral today thanks to a video Shidler captured immediately after the incident took place:

Story includes embedded video.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 23, 2016 at 10:58 pm Reason: Edit to comply with Rules
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Actually he should have the equipment insured, and let his insurance company fight it out.

Glass and equipment depreciates, we all carry insurance on our equipment...and it is more expensive than a liability policy...

Pelican makes a nice case, and a 7 foot drop should not break it open...

Airlines have a limit on their claims, and it is printed on the ticket..

As for shooting a wedding that is way too much equipment, for Scott Kelby..
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
"But an airline can damage $20,000 worth of gear and tell me to ‘call us about it and file a claim!?’ It’s unbelievable.”

What exactly does he expect - AA to take his word for it and unconditionally hand him $20k?

And anyone who would hand off $20k worth of gear to a third party without bothering to understand anything about liability (and limitations thereto) is simply a fool.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Seems to have bad luck with airlines

http://jewishvoiceny.com/index.php?o...ork&Itemid=295
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
Actually he should have the equipment insured, and let his insurance company fight it out.

Glass and equipment depreciates, we all carry insurance on our equipment...and it is more expensive than a liability policy...

Pelican makes a nice case, and a 7 foot drop should not break it open...

Airlines have a limit on their claims, and it is printed on the ticket..

As for shooting a wedding that is way too much equipment, for Scott Kelby..

Actually he made some comments in the comments section in the original article implying he did not want to file an insurance claim as his premium might go up. My guess is he had inadequate or non existent insurance, which clearly a professional photographer should have.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjw242
...What exactly does he expect - AA to take his word for it and unconditionally hand him $20k?
Well put.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A reminder about the FlyerTalk Rules we all agree to abide by when we are granted membership privileges:

"Posting Copyrighted Material Link to Rule

Do not post information protected by copyright or owned by another without the owner's consent. If you infringe on someone else's rights you will be held solely responsible. Neither FlyerTalk nor its owner shall be held responsible for information you post that may violate copyright law.

When posting a news article or other published information, credit the source of the information and give a brief, one-to-three paragraph summary or clip of the content, providing an appropriate link and/or cite to its source.

FlyerTalk's Infringement Policy, found in its Legal Notices disclosure, is made a part of this rule and nothing in this rule is meant to conflict with that Infringement Policy."

/Moderator
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Ultimately, there is no divine right to bring any carry on into an aircraft cabin.

"Forced to gate check" implies a seat assignment in a high-numbered boarding group. The photog might have improved his chances of finding space for the Pelican bag by improving his boarding priority.

Lastly, if given no other option than to gate check, offloading himself and taking a later flight might have been a more prudent course of action.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
Actually he made some comments in the comments section in the original article implying he did not want to file an insurance claim as his premium might go up. My guess is he had inadequate or non existent insurance, which clearly a professional photographer should have.
Agreed.

When I was earning money from my photography I always had a floater policy covering equipment (as I did as an amateur underwater videographer). The insurance company would be responsible, but they could seek to recover from an airline. It was my responsibility to assure my Pelican cases or other baggage met the dimensions for carry-on baggage of each airline.

Unfortunately, American offers excess valuation insurance; if it is not taken out:

"Liability for loss, delay or damage to baggage is limited to $3,500." (Domestic travel.) As well,

"Liability

American's liability for loss, damage or delayed delivery of checked baggage, including transfer baggage, is limited to the actual value of the baggage or $3,500, whichever is less, unless the passenger declares a higher value for loss of baggage, not to exceed $5,000.00 including the $3,500 standard liability per passenger and pays American a sum of $5.00 per $100.00 (or any portion thereof) of excess value. Excess valuation coverage is not available for and does not apply to items excluded in our liability below.

Do you need additional insurance?

American does not assume liability for any of the following items in or as checked baggage: antiques, artifacts, artwork, books and documents, china, computers and other electronic equipment, computer software, fragile items (including child/infant restraint devices such as strollers and car seats), eyeglasses, prescription sunglasses, non-prescription sunglasses and all other eyewear and eye/vision devices whether lenses are glass, plastic, or some other material, furs, heirlooms, keys, liquids, medicines, money, orthotics, surgical supports, perishable items, photographic, video and optical equipment, precious metals, stones or jewelry, securities and negotiable papers, silverware, samples, unique or irreplaceable items or any other similar valuable items."

Link to relevant portion of Conditions of Carriage.

Cracking open a Pelican case? Very difficult!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
If I drop my camer, I would turn it in on my homeowners policy, Pelican Cases are made to keep the equipment secure,

Tonight I seen 60 lenses, they were all secure in the car, we could sign them out, by showing our DL. I can assure you Cannon had them insured.

The story sounds inflated, like they lost my Rolex, now pay me...
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:54 pm

If I drop my camer, I would turn it in on my homeowners policy, Pelican Cases are made to keep the equipment secure,

Tonight I seen 60 lenses, they were all secure in the car, we could sign them out, by showing our DL. I can assure you Cannon had them insured.

The story sounds inflated, like they lost my Rolex, now pay me...
My homeowners' policy would not have covered my equipment when I was doing portrait and aviation photography for profit.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Fortunately for me now, I no longer travel with my large format camera, (4x5)
yes I know most people probably have no idea what I am saying, but when I use to travel with it, Pelican cases were my luggage of choice, had a insurance policy that covered travel. but in the 15 years plus, never had a problem with AA on checking it in, the cases are made very well, only problem I have had is when coming back to the states, it took for ever for the pressure to release, so customs could inspect the bag
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
My homeowners' policy would not have covered my equipment when I was doing portrait and aviation photography for profit.
Agreed. One should have special insurance for that since it is a business. If he did not want to buy commercial insurance, that is his risk and his issue.

There are some interesting comments in the original article including some by the photographer himself. Apparently the case was unlocked as well, which would be a contributory factor as to the scale of the mishap. He also does state that he does have insurance, but we don't know what type.

Last edited by mapleg; Jun 24, 2016 at 6:12 am
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
This just doesn't sound right to me. $20K of camera equipment and he doesn't want to file a claim with his insurance carrier? Why does he have insurance? Was the case locked? From the quick glimpse we had of the case, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it doesn't fit into the sizer. Should have been locked, secured with straps and checked, IMO. That's what I would have done.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If I drop my camer, I would turn it in on my homeowners policy
If you were a professional photographer and filing a claim for damage to business equipment, your carrier would deny it.

Originally Posted by rjw242
"But an airline can damage $20,000 worth of gear and tell me to ‘call us about it and file a claim!?’ It’s unbelievable.”
I also found this amusing. How exactly was he expecting to proceed, other than by filing a claim?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.