Wiki Posts
Search

Phone agent/ticketing incompetence?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Phone agent/ticketing incompetence?

So I made changes to two award tickets earlier today (JL and CX). Everything was allegedly good to go, the correct amount of miles were deducted and I paid my taxes --- but no email confirmation. I check my account online and it's the call AA for ticketing warning. I call. And no I have been on hold over an hour while someone tries to fix whatever was not completed correctly a couple of hours ago (still on hold as I type). What the heck is going on??? Hold and hold and hold. The agent comes back (and back to hold) to tell that my issues are being worked on - what issues? The agent is getting nastier and nastier as I question my hold time (and why it is taking so long to allegedly "ticket" flights that were supposedly ticketed hours ago).

Apologizing in advance for the rant but this is ridiculous - Is there a better way with AA?

Cheers -

1:42 minutes and still not completed - had to terminate the call

Last edited by thegrailer; Jun 21, 2016 at 4:56 pm Reason: update
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thegrailer
So I made changes to two award tickets earlier today (JL and CX). Everything was allegedly good to go, the correct amount of miles were deducted and I paid my taxes --- but no email confirmation. I check my account online and it's the call AA for ticketing warning. I call. And no I have been on hold over an hour while someone tries to fix whatever was not completed correctly a couple of hours ago (still on hold as I type). What the heck is going on??? Hold and hold and hold. The agent comes back (and back to hold) to tell that my issues are being worked on - what issues? The agent is getting nastier and nastier as I question my hold time (and why it is taking so long to allegedly "ticket" flights that were supposedly ticketed hours ago).

Apologizing in advance for the rant but this is ridiculous - Is there a better way with AA?

Cheers -

1:42 minutes and still not completed - had to terminate the call
Could it be that partner travel doesn't ticket immediately as it has to be confirmed by the partner. I think I read somewhere they have 24-48 hours (but don't quote me on the timeframe).

Might want to check out this thread for some possibly useful info.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Doesn't it always say call for ticketing after you've made the change, but it's still in queue? I would have never called an hour later for a partner award.

Last edited by iadisgreat; Jun 21, 2016 at 7:21 pm
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:18 pm
Suspended

...The agent is getting nastier and nastier as I question my hold time...
Not surprised then, it's no pleasure for them either -and- the agent you were getting grumpy with isn't the one that made the original mistake-- they had to clean up someone else's mess.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Does the status say "On Request" ?

If so, ignore the "please call" message unless it has been a few days since you requested ticketing. For some reason the AA site keeps that message there even though it is unnecessary

If the agent is trying to assist and you are complaining about the time on hold, I can understand that the agent would not be amused. She isn't putting you on hold for fun
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
There are definitely problems. Last week I wanted to SDC. I called and was a few minutes early. The agent reported there were 5 seats available for SDC and asked if I knew any jokes to pass the time until she could book the SDC. Not wanting to waste her time, I thanked her and said it wasnot a problem to call back. Fast forward 5 minutes and I call back to get the SDC. The agent tells me that there is nothing available. I mention that a few minutes ago there were 5 seats (the flight is DCA-BGR). She informs me that the flight is sold out and there are "no seats available for even exchange". I hang up and call back. The new agent has no problem doing the SDC and I go on my merry way.

MO
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
In general, getting angry with an agent (on the phone or in person) is counter-productive, especially when the issue isn't even that agent's fault. Being kind, and even saying something along the lines of "I know this isn't your fault, but I'd love for you to be able to help me out" goes a long way of getting the agent "on your side" and to be helpful.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:35 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I check my account online and it's the call AA for ticketing warning. I call. And no I have been on hold over an hour while someone tries to fix whatever was not completed correctly a couple of hours ago (still on hold as I type).
I had this happen on a JL and CX award late last year. I had to make a change within 48 hours of the flight, and after waiting 24 hours and still seeing the error, I was worried I wouldn't be ticketed in time for departure. Apparently it was an issue with the partner causing the issue, which led to the long wait. Frustrating yes, but in my case it wasn't the agent's fault.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
In general, getting angry with an agent (on the phone or in person) is counter-productive, especially when the issue isn't even that agent's fault. Being kind, and even saying something along the lines of "I know this isn't your fault, but I'd love for you to be able to help me out" goes a long way of getting the agent "on your side" and to be helpful.
^ The best thing a person can do to speed up a transaction is to approach the agent with a positive attitude.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I love the assumption that I was grumpy (getting angry) and that made the agent nasty. How about the agent got nasty bc AA agents are nasty these days. I thought UA agents were horrible but AA has some "winners" manning the Ex Plt line ---

I called back tonight. I am still not even in the queue ~30 hrs after the change although AA is allegedly working "it" (whatever that "it" is). I told this agent that I could not wait on hold while the error was corrected. In sum, through 3 agents, I am at ~2:30+ hrs on calls for a change and it's still not completed.

As for the others mentioning that the "error" isn't a big deal, I would be wary of taking that advice. My issue wasn't a "it's still in the queue" problem, but rather agent mistakes and then a failure of a second agent to fix the mistake.

Cheers

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Not surprised then, it's no pleasure for them either -and- the agent you were getting grumpy with isn't the one that made the original mistake-- they had to clean up someone else's mess.
Originally Posted by GNRMatt

Last edited by thegrailer; Jun 22, 2016 at 4:13 pm
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by threejuliettango
^ the best thing a person can do to speed up a transaction is to approach the agent with a positive attitude.
a

men

Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Maybe you should try the regular AA queue. I've had a lot of luck with courteous and dedicated AAgents so far this year on 6 or 7 calls, including during the winter storm massive IRROPS to get me home from the Caribbean. Even tweeted AA with a couple of kudos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.