Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Had this same menu on CDG-MIA yesterday. I had selected a meal ahead of time in the app but they seemed to have no record of it when they came around for orders.

Disappointingly the "smoked chicken" in the first small plate wasn't throughly cooked with large pink/purple portions. I pointed this out to the FA and she said "well sorry about that" and took it away. After that I felt like the redheaded stepchild, she would bring out the food plates and wouldn't return. I actually had to flag down other FAs to come take the other plates away after waiting 10 and 20 minutes.

I had the beef, it was pretty well overcooked but edible.

The BBQ sandwich before landing was actually quite tasty, I really enjoyed it.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer

Agreed. But the best part of that meal is the chocolate+salted caramel pudding. Sooo good. For a while they changed it to just chocolate which was just ok.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Had this same menu on CDG-MIA yesterday. I had selected a meal ahead of time in the app but they seemed to have no record of it when they came around for orders.

Disappointingly the "smoked chicken" in the first small plate wasn't throughly cooked with large pink/purple portions. I pointed this out to the FA and she said "well sorry about that" and took it away. After that I felt like the redheaded stepchild, she would bring out the food plates and wouldn't return. I actually had to flag down other FAs to come take the other plates away after waiting 10 and 20 minutes.

I had the beef, it was pretty well overcooked but edible.

The services on my flight FRA - CLT was good. The CLT based FA recognized my pre-order and further confirmed with me if I wish to switch orders. I cannot complain at all on the nice FA I had.

Yes, the smoked chicken was a little meh, but since this is my inbound, nothing could be worse than over cooked (seriously) steak. I took the sundae for dessert and salad (which was a meh, not the worst though) for pre-arrival meal.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Premium Economy meals for DUB/UK-USA flights (lunch/dinner & snack)

Lunch (first meal)
Salad - seasons greens, balsamic vinigrette
Main plate - Grilled chicken breast, Grana Padano sauce, orzo pasta, grilled vegetables
Dessert - cherry crumble cake

Snack - Charred cauliflower power bowl (humus, garlic olive oil, fresh seasonal fruit)

Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Lunch (first meal)
Main plate - Grilled chicken breast, Grana Padano sauce, orzo pasta, grilled vegetables

Snack - Charred cauliflower power bowl (humus, garlic olive oil, fresh seasonal fruit)
That actually looks pretty good. How did those meals taste?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by snic
That actually looks pretty good. How did those meals taste?
It was typical airline food. Nothing bad, nothing good about it. The snack was not tasty at all. The wines were the same as they serve in coach.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Forgot to check over the past few days, but preorder opened up for my JFK-LHR PEY flight
  • Grilled Chicken Grilled Chicken
    haricots verts, cherry tomatoes, olives, garlic herb butter
  • Ravioli Ravioli
    stuffed with burrata cheese in tomato garlic sauce with roasted cherry tomatoes
Ive had the ravioli and it was decent.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
DUB-PHL options:

Tomato and Mozzarella Cannelloni - pesto rosso sauce, creamy spinach
Mediterranean-style Lamb - potato gratin, pesto alla genovese with pumpkin seeds
Miso-glazed Chicken Supreme - hollandaise sauce, butternut squash purée, fried spring onions
Butterfish with Pumpernickel Topping Butterfish - red pepper sauce, creamy potato risotto, fennel with orange vinaigrette, Romanesco
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
It was typical airline food. Nothing bad, nothing good about it. The snack was not tasty at all. The wines were the same as they serve in coach.
<bolding mine>

Silverado? Caymus? Rombauer?
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
anyone have an idea of the slop they serve in coach these days ord-lhr? I'm on the morning departure flight--will the main meal be the breakfast flight soon after departure or evening flight closer to landing?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Any recent reports on the following menu items for the upcoming DFW-LHR flight? Primarily interested in the snapper or the chicken.

Braised Short Ribs
- brown basmati rice, kimchi pickled red cabbage, bulgogi sauce
Herb-crusted Snapper
- cauliflower purée, roasted butternut squash, spicy pickled onions
Grilled Ancho Pepper Free-range Chicken
- parsnip pancakes, gin and orange braised endives
Bulgur and Feta Stuffed Portobello Mushroom
- roasted golden beets, crumbled fontina, arrabbiata sauce
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM
Originally Posted by Emadissi
ORD --> PVG for early July
Spinach Stuffed Ravioli topped with smoked Gouda creme
Coffee Crusted Beef Filet with red wine sauce, roasted potatoes and sauteed spinach
Sesame Crusted Salmon with yuzu cream sauce, steamed red rice, ginger spaghetti squash, carrots and snap peaks
Roasted Duck Breast with curry lime sauce, coconut jasmine rice, broccolini and peppers

I, personally, am not particularly partial to any of these options, and the filet is out for me as I don't eat red meat. Does anyone have any recommendations?
This was my HKG-LAX dinner experience in J last week...

I had pre-ordered the chickpea masala to play it safe, but after my unfortunate curry experience on the outbound decided to discuss the menu with my FA.

I questioned why the beef filet is always cooked until it gives up -she said they just want to be sure the entrees are cooked thoroughly. I asked if they could undercook the filet for me, but the short answer was -no. (My understanding is that everything is precooked anyway, so aren't they just warming things up onboard?)

She said the salmon would be OK, but dry. (I saw someone else order this, it was a nice looking salmon steak -but yes, appeared way overdone).

She didn't seem to want to recommend the chickpea masala, which left me with the duck as the only option -she heard it was good, but hadn't tried it herself... (She usually recommends chicken, but wasn't an option on this flight)

The rice paper wrappers on those vegetable spring rolls (Vietnamese-style) were a tad dry, and the dipping sauce was odd -more like a bitter tasting, spiced oil. That salad with the Chinese vinaigrette was fine. And a good-sized slice of decent french bread to go with it.

I was pleasantly surprised by the roast duck; it was very good -that nicely seared skin saved the meat from being dried out, and the plum sauce was not sweet at all; had a nice tang that paired well with the duck. Those accompanying vegetables were cooked crisp-tender.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Something I always wonder about. The image of the duck shows snap peas as one of the vegetables. Along with things like asparagus, snow peas etc, snap peas do not reheat well at all. 100% of the time they come out looking mostly gray and sad. Texture as well turns to mush.

Question: don't AA meal planners know this? It would seem to me that any trained chef would understand which veggies can be re-heated and those which die in the process. So why design a plate that includes things that simply don't work?

And for that matter, can't they devise a system to avoid overcooking nice cuts of beef?????

There is no extra cost in this. All that is involved is intelligent planning.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Lunch (first meal)

Interesting TWO chicken breast/thigh's That Snack looks good. If this is what PE meals look like then AA has a winner.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
Something I always wonder about. The image of the duck shows snap peas as one of the vegetables. Along with things like asparagus, snow peas etc, snap peas do not reheat well at all. 100% of the time they come out looking mostly gray and sad. Texture as well turns to mush.

Question: don't AA meal planners know this? It would seem to me that any trained chef would understand which veggies can be re-heated and those which die in the process. So why design a plate that includes things that simply don't work?

And for that matter, can't they devise a system to avoid overcooking nice cuts of beef?????

There is no extra cost in this. All that is involved is intelligent planning.
1> Menu planners are aware of how food is cooked/warmed on the plane
2) the galley FA needs to care how they cook/warm the food up. Most FA's I know dislike working the galley on long-haul international flights. IT's very tough position since you are in charge of making sure that all special meals are boarded, all meal counts are correct, try to make sure that the fish is not overcooked and or duck/chicken. However, there are some FA's who like working the galley and have a system to get the meals cooks right. On our last J flight hubby's Beef was cooked perfectly nice and pink inside, I had the fish, it was cooked perfectly, moist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.