Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will AA ever partner (codeshare) with S7?

Old Jun 14, 16, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

I've been looking at Russia as a destination recently, and found out that S7 is the only OW carrier that AA does not partner with (codeshare, not interline). Does anyone know why, and if it will ever happen?
Old Jun 14, 16, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
I have zero actual info on this, but I swear I've read before (probably on a.net) that Aeroflot (i.e. the Russian government) prohibits further cooperation between S7 and oneworld partners such as AA. Could be totally making this up though.
Old Jun 14, 16, 2:18 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
With minimal thinking, wouldn't S7 (and maybe Sri Lankan) be the only OW airlines which neither fly into AA hubs nor AA into theirs? In which case the business case for a codeshare would be pretty weak.
Old Jun 14, 16, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by jridge View Post
With minimal thinking, wouldn't S7 (and maybe Sri Lankan) be the only OW airlines which neither fly into AA hubs nor AA into theirs? In which case the business case for a codeshare would be pretty weak.
MH too.
Old Jun 14, 16, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by AJones2000 View Post
I've been looking at Russia as a destination recently, and found out that S7 is the only OW carrier that AA does not partner with (codeshare, not interline). Does anyone know why, and if it will ever happen?
A codeshare arrangement is not free. Aside from the high technical costs of integration, under the Montreal Convention a marketing airline is legally liable to the passenger for faults committed by the operating carrier, if the passenger booked under the marketing code.

So AA has to think, before AA ends up on the hook for some accident on a domestic prop in the middle of Russia, is it worth the extra business?

For the most part AA is probably better off collecting the MOW passengers over LON on AA*BA (S7 does not serve LON for legal reasons). There are a few other niche routes such as MOW-TXL, MOW-MAD or MOW-DUB (all seasonal on S7) that perhaps could relieve some pressure on LON, but traffic volumes are I think not high enough to warrant this.

So then we must ask, what traffic would S7 offer AA that it cannot collect under the existing interline agreement?

East of the Urals there are a few routes that could be interesting, like VVO-HKG, OVB-HKG or perhaps IKT-HKG, all of which could theoretically connect to the AA service at HKG back to LAX. But I suspect that those few passengers who are making these connections are satisfied by interlining.

Further S7 has never shown it is hugely interested in international operations. It is in my view a well run domestic operation with a cautious international outlook. S7 does codeshare with some BA services, but it is not a low-friction partnership for the traveller.

Last edited by Calchas; Jun 14, 16 at 5:11 pm
Old Jun 14, 16, 5:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
A codeshare arrangement is not free. Aside from the high technical costs of integration, under the Montreal Convention a marketing airline is legally liable to the passenger for faults committed by the operating carrier, if the passenger booked under the marketing code.

So AA has to think, before AA ends up on the hook for some accident on a domestic prop in the middle of Russia, is it worth the extra business?

For the most part AA is probably better off collecting the MOW passengers over LON on AA*BA (S7 does not serve LON for legal reasons). There are a few other niche routes such as MOW-TXL, MOW-MAD or MOW-DUB (all seasonal on S7) that perhaps could relieve some pressure on LON, but traffic volumes are I think not high enough to warrant this.

So then we must ask, what traffic would S7 offer AA that it cannot collect under the existing interline agreement?

East of the Urals there are a few routes that could be interesting, like VVO-HKG, OVB-HKG or perhaps IKT-HKG, all of which could theoretically connect to the AA service at HKG back to LAX. But I suspect that those few passengers who are making these connections are satisfied by interlining.

Further S7 has never shown it is hugely interested in international operations. It is in my view a well run domestic operation with a cautious international outlook. S7 does codeshare with some BA services, but it is not a low-friction partnership for the traveller.
Further to the above, there is limited alignment between the respective route networks of AA and S7. Accordingly, it is unclear what benefit AA would get from offering S7 codes (or vice Versa). There would also be regulatory costs. So far as I am aware aa a OW partner AA can already ticket passengers on to an S7 flight, for the few passengers with relevant itineraries, with full OW benefits.
Old Jun 14, 16, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by chalf View Post
So far as I am aware aa a OW partner AA can already ticket passengers on to an S7 flight, for the few passengers with relevant itineraries, with full OW benefits.
Yes, AA and S7 have interline agreements.

Also S7 recognition of oneworld members is quite good, for instance space-available upgrades are often offered to emeralds and sapphires. (S7 seems to have very few status members itself.)

Last edited by Calchas; Jun 14, 16 at 5:35 pm
Old Jun 15, 16, 8:55 am

Programs: AA PLT/ 1MM+, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
Yes, AA and S7 have interline agreements.

Also S7 recognition of oneworld members is quite good, for instance space-available upgrades are often offered to emeralds and sapphires. (S7 seems to have very few status members itself.)
I can concur here. First trip out of Moscow, was flying S7 as AA EXP. got to the gate, lady says "NO!" scaring the crap out of me, then proceeds to give me an upgrade. Plane took off with open seats in 1st. Now that was four or five years ago so things may have changed. Was never upgraded after that on three other trips.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: