Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

Members who do not read and follow these rules will have their posts summarily deleted.

Please familiarize yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to these rules will be summarily removed (without notice to the poster).

AA: "Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades."

• Asking for SWU passes is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.

• In order to comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWU must given freely, with no strings attached. Requests for money, trading for SWU with different expiry or another airline’s instruments, or any other consideration, whether in the clear or via PM, are not allowed.

• Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.

• Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itineraries, international vs. domestic, etc.).

• Recipients are solely and entirely responsible for the payment of any fees or taxes associated with the use of a gifted SWU (e.g. United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty).

• This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients. (Donating instruments for use in charity auctions or as prizes is prohibited by AAdvantage T&C.)

• If anybody offers to sell, buy, barter or trade SWU by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.

For obsolete posts, please see ARCHIVE: SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo) (link).

Thanks everyone!

~AAdvantage forum moderators[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXEC PLAT, TK*G
Originally Posted by FobbyFlyer
Sent you a PM Timbuku! =)
Done. That was the my last SWU.
FobbyFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Unused SWUs -- Best Way to give away for the holidays

Probably another post (or more) for this, but I have 2 SWUs expiring end of January that I won't use. What is the best way to give them away that they will get the most use & most appreciation? Like someone who has never experienced that level of travel...

Just go to the airport for an hour or so before the massive outbound int'l flights @ DFW, tell the TAs the deal, and let them decide? Merry Christmas to someone.
atxtraveler likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by oneant
Just go to the airport for an hour or so before the massive outbound int'l flights @ DFW, tell the TAs the deal, and let them decide?
Nice thought, and maybe it would work, but I somewhat suspect ticket agents dealing with the crush of holiday travel wouldn't have the time or resources to figure this out. Also, finding a day-of-departure upgrade available to a (presumably non-status) passenger would be tricky at best.

I usually send an email around to friends and extended family asking if anyone has flights planned on AA. Alternatively, maybe you can try getting in touch with local charitable organizations (Make-a-Wish, veterans' orgs, etc) and see if they'd have any beneficiaries who could use the upgrades for upcoming travel.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
Nice thought, and maybe it would work, but I somewhat suspect ticket agents dealing with the crush of holiday travel wouldn't have the time or resources to figure this out. Also, finding a day-of-departure upgrade available to a (presumably non-status) passenger would be tricky at best.

I usually send an email around to friends and extended family asking if anyone has flights planned on AA. Alternatively, maybe you can try getting in touch with local charitable organizations (Make-a-Wish, veterans' orgs, etc) and see if they'd have any beneficiaries who could use the upgrades for upcoming travel.
Always wanted to be "that guy" who upgraded people at the ticket counter, but agreed it's probably a pipe dream. I've upgraded my share of veterans on flights over the years. I'm a veteran myself, but I am not the worship type, so Make-A-Wish, or similar, is a great idea!!!!!! Thank you!!!

And anyone else on here, don't PM me please. As frequent fliers, these are NOT going to you. I have family who will use them, but they always fly business and these will just be to 1st int'l.

Cannot tell you how many people I encounter who even see domestic 1st Class as an aspiration that I, sadly, take for granted. I want someone who would never otherwise experience int'l upgrades to enjoy something I can't use.
fedechat likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:50 pm

It's nice of you to share like that and i hope your family and friends appreciate you! I joined this board to figure out how to splurge for my first business class flight ever and thanks to you all i figured it out. It's a little scary jumping into these threads, but you guys know more about this stuff than i could have possibly imagined! You're all amazing!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by buckybadger
It's nice of you to share like that and i hope your family and friends appreciate you! I joined this board to figure out how to splurge for my first business class flight ever and thanks to you all i figured it out. It's a little scary jumping into these threads, but you guys know more about this stuff than i could have possibly imagined! You're all amazing!
In addition to us "guys", there are plenty of knowledgeable and helpful "gals" on the Flyertalk forums as well.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by jcatman
In addition to us "guys", there are plenty of knowledgeable and helpful "gals" on the Flyertalk forums as well.
Indeed, as I am one as well!

I blame it on my generations habit of referring to any group of humans greater than two as "hey you guys!"
skipaway likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Always wanted to be "that guy" who upgraded people at the ticket counter, but agreed it's probably a pipe dream. I've upgraded my share of veterans on flights over the years. I'm a veteran myself, but I am not the worship type, so Make-A-Wish, or similar, is a great idea!!!!!! Thank you!!!

And anyone else on here, don't PM me please. As frequent fliers, these are NOT going to you. I have family who will use them, but they always fly business and these will just be to 1st int'l.

Cannot tell you how many people I encounter who even see domestic 1st Class as an aspiration that I, sadly, take for granted. I want someone who would never otherwise experience int'l upgrades to enjoy something I can't use.
I was "that guy" once... I was already on the plane and did it for 2 teens who were traveling with their parents who had upgraded into business class. I managed to get off the plane with their mother to go to the counter at the gate, and since business class had a lot of open seats, I was able to clear them at the last minute. I also volunteered some time for the Salvation Army last week at the Angel Tree gift distribution in Ft Worth.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC, IC Plat, Hilton Gold, Carlson Gold
So not SWU's - but have 2 BXP1 domestic upgrade certs expiring 12/31. I'd need to likely mail them to you, but if you see C space available willing to send them to a good home.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Elchupanebre4
So not SWU's - but have 2 BXP1 domestic upgrade certs expiring 12/31. I'd need to likely mail them to you, but if you see C space available willing to send them to a good home.
PM Sent. Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Probably another post (or more) for this, but I have 2 SWUs expiring end of January that I won't use. What is the best way to give them away that they will get the most use & most appreciation? Like someone who has never experienced that level of travel...

Just go to the airport for an hour or so before the massive outbound int'l flights @ DFW, tell the TAs the deal, and let them decide? Merry Christmas to someone.
In the past few years, I've done exactly what you suggest. I usually try to get "bang for the buck" by looking on Expertflyer to see which international flights have the best availability in Business. The gate agents are usually very helpful. Occasionally, I've called the EXP line and they have also assisted. Unfortunately, now that the SWUs are halved, I just don't have many, if any to gift to strangers. But, I think that your plan could work!
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

In that vein, I’ve gifted SWU to Pearl Harbor survivors flying from / to DFW, a couple of NGO folks flying coach on long International flights. In the former case I was aided and abetted by a very knowledgeable agent (left behind by AA when they shut down EXP call centers in LAX, TUS and BDL). As well as family.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:20 am

I am still getting PMs. Don’t bother folks. No word from 3 charities—as I am sure they want the flights donated and not the upgrades—but this is what I have to give.

Thinking I may do what was suggested above: check expertflyer, find the routes where there are seats, head to the airport, and try my luck. If it all works out, by the time they figure it out, I’ll be in my car and headed home. Selfish Christmas present to myself to have made someone’s day. Plenty of time before they expire. And maybe I can take a day trip somewhere and at least make the airport trip worth it with some time in the Centurion Lounge and a martini. 😁
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Timbuku
I'm starting an early Christmas give away with the 4 SWU I'm not going to use before they expire in 1/31/2018.

Conditions:

1. Upgrade must be for Y->J. International sectors will get priority and J->F requests will be ignored;

2. You must be a FT member with at least 50 posts;

3. You must provide by PM the following details: PNR, full name(s), itinerary, contact info and proof the upgrade is available (EF screenshots or similar);

4. All upgraded flights must depart before 1/31/2018 when the SWU expires;

5. You are responsible for the taxes (if any) in the upgraded cabin;

Messages that don't comply with the above conditions will be ignored and I'm not going to explain my decisions.

Update: all SWU used

Hello FT Team,

I have 2 SWU that I will be unable to use before January 31... we were unable to travel nearly as much this year as last year! I have been very grateful for everything the FT team has taught me over the years, and am happy to offer the SWU to someone else.

Same 'rules' as above... I would also prefer it to be for someone who does not have status or does not travel often, especially not in Business Class. Of course these are things that can't be proven but I trust everyone will be honest, and if you are lucky enough to travel in business often, please let someone else have a try . Also, very much hope to gift a REALLY long flight, to get the most bang for the buck for the recipient.

I will check my account on Wednesday, and let this thread know once I have gifted them.

All the best,
Greg
dciolli likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:25 pm

Hello again...

I just used the 2 SWU upgrades. However, I also just realized that of course my wife's account also has 2 more SWU's as well, so I can offer those up too. I will check back in a few days to see who sends me a message.

Cheers,
Greg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.