Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Orange shirts in PHL are out of control

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by asnovici
Going on semi vacation on Tuesday and want to avoid unnecessary stress and unpleasantness of the Orange shirt brigade, will try PreCheck at concourse D where Delta and United fly from. Since the thuggish things in orange shirts are hired by AA it can be presumed that concourse D entrance wouldn't have them.
They have white shirts at D who ask the same questions.

Her: "Excuse me, are you flying United? Are you flying United? Excuse me!"
Me: "No"
Her: "Who you flying?"
Me: "American"
Her: no response

When I fly out of F, I take a 25" rollaboard and drop off my bag planeside. So maybe the key is just to tell the orange shirts / white shirts that you are flying out of Terminal F where this is okay.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
Are we 100% correct about the internal dimensions of the sizers AA are now using?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
It couldn't hurt to bring a measuring tape and measure the sizer....maybe AA is pulling a fast one.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
My issue is simple:

Nobody has the right to stop me and prevent me from moving in the public area of an airport based on the rules of an air carrier which only apply once I arrive at a private gate or aircraft.

The airport my 'authorize' these people; the airline may wish to have bags stopped before they reach the gate, but the question is 'do they have the legal right?'
Entry to the secure area is usually contingent upon having a valid boarding pass issued by an airline. Couldn't it be argued that compliance with airline policies—including their carry-on policy—is required in order to receive the boarding pass in the first place?

Not that this excuses the behavior users have reported here. Anyone working for AA—whether directly or under contract—has no excuse for unprofessionalism.

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
It couldn't hurt to bring a measuring tape and measure the sizer....maybe AA is pulling a fast one.
They're not; I've already measured one. It's worth nothing that the measurement is to the outside of the white line. AA has also dropped the language requiring the bag to fit "comfortably" inside the sizer, so now it can go as long as it fits somehow.

Though it did turn out that the old gray metal sizers were actually larger than 22 x 14 x 9, which may create the illusion that AA is no longer allowing formerly "compliant" bags when they may have just been too big all along.

Last edited by ThreeJulietTango; Jun 20, 2016 at 9:01 pm
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
I've had this run in several times, in SFO and PHL. I just walk by. I had one guy come running after me in SFO and I laughed at him when I got to the TSA agent, and he was huffing and puffing about checking my bag. I told him if AA wants to send a manager over to explain the rules to me, I will gladly step out of line, but he has no authority to detain me.

In PHL, I likewise have walked past them and had heated words from them. If they ever touched me or my belongings, I would be immediately demand to speak to a Police Officer. You can not touch a person or their property without their permission.

The problem is all the sheep out there that just go along with these type of thugs when there is no legal obligation to. Granted I would only do this if I am 100% sure my bag is legit. No point pissing into the wind.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:45 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by iwascool
I have flown out of PHL a lot this year and I always go through concourse D regardless of what terminal my AA flight is out of. I'll walk to F or B just to avoid the B/C checkpoint.
This, all day, every day.

I haven't been to B/C checkpoint in 4 months. The white shirts at D/E have the same poor attitude (and thinly veiled racism) but aren't tasked with enforcing AA bag sizes, so they STFU when they see my AA BP. Now that the E/F connector is airside I don't even have to take the shuttle when I'm flying a regional.

I had one chase me all the way to the TSA Doc Check station because I didn't wait for him to finish his conversation with another employee (with his back to me) and just walked past into the PreCheck line.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:09 pm

Media to the rescue?

IMO the most effective option for dealing with this is trying to sic a media on those goons and their parent company. If this gets picked by a local outlet, let alone a major network, there would likely be a quick adjustment and/or rolling heads (remember TSA delays at ATL? those were going on for a while, but action was taken as soon as networks picked this story).

Many media outlets struggle for topics. If you have an hour or two to spare, get some video clips with your smartphone, then call up a local Phili reporter and see if they are interested. Throw a few buzzwords: large corporation (AA) making record profits; hiring private security firm with thuggish practices; forcing checking extra luggage to maximize revenue; seems to be a clear racial bias (do not specify that they target caucasians); private security, not supported by TSA; etc.

Then: "here are some sample video clips, stop by PHL to check for yourself" and see if they bite.

Disclaimer: I do not fly out of PHL, so did not watch those in action.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by alex_me_ov
IMO the most effective option for dealing with this is trying to sic a media on those goons and their parent company. If this gets picked by a local outlet, let alone a major network, there would likely be a quick adjustment and/or rolling heads (remember TSA delays at ATL? those were going on for a while, but action was taken as soon as networks picked this story).

Many media outlets struggle for topics. If you have an hour or two to spare, get some video clips with your smartphone, then call up a local Phili reporter and see if they are interested. Throw a few buzzwords: large corporation (AA) making record profits; hiring private security firm with thuggish practices; forcing checking extra luggage to maximize revenue; seems to be a clear racial bias (do not specify that they target caucasians); private security, not supported by TSA; etc.

Then: "here are some sample video clips, stop by PHL to check for yourself" and see if they bite.

Disclaimer: I do not fly out of PHL, so did not watch those in action.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Been there. Annoying, especially when the bag that supposedly won't fit isn't going into the overhead, and will compress quite nicely underneath the seat. Granted, most of my flying ex-PHL is on 175's, so even compliant carry-ons don't fit always in the overhead. Guess I'd be more upset if I had to pay to check the bag. Oh, and not caucasian...
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
I usually use a non-AA terminal in PHL to avoid long lines even in Precheck, so I haven't had the pleasure of interacting with these fine people.

I will continue to go to the UA terminal or even F when there and keep my carryon.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
This, all day, every day.

I haven't been to B/C checkpoint in 4 months.
I have flown through PHL after international flights recently, last week and then a few days before Christmas. Last week wasn't so bad, but in December it was an absolute nightmare (putting it mildly)! The process from arrival to making it past security took far longer than it should have! Numerous people either missed their connection or were at risk of doing so.

After the international arrival in A, my departures for the connections were from C.

In reading several posts, I have questions. After going through immigration and customs, are you saying it's possible to leave the area instead of immediately going to security for the connection (I did see an exit near security where it said "to all gates") and then go through security in another area to avoid the B/C? I'm guessing "no" for international arrivals, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Years ago (pre-9/11 and TSA) I was flying United out of LAX. I had a carry on guitar, a duffle bag, and a backpack. At the time, I was allowed all as carry on.

The woman at the security line told me I had to use a different line because the only way up was via a staircase, and I had too much stuff.

The other line was far away, and I really didn't want (or need) to go to the other end of the terminal where there was a long line). I protested, insisting that the stairs would be no problem. (As an aside - I almost never use escalators when there is a stair case adjacent. It's good exercise).

The security person wouldn't have it, and she called over a UA rep. The rep sized me up, then looked at the security person (who was gloating) and said, "This person looks like he can handle it."

Gloat went south, and I went through.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:05 pm

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 2016 at 10:04 pm
Old Jun 25, 2016, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA member since 1990 (lifetime PLT/OWS)
Have you tried contacting the firm and making a complaint directly to them?

http://mcginnsecurity.com/contact.html
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA lifetime plat 2.5 million
Walking between terminals airside in PHL

Originally Posted by Geauxtigers
You may want to look at the PHL airport thread for clarity, but quick answer is that there is a separate security checkpoint right after customs/ the ticket counters to recheck bags. International is in terminal A, you can bypass the B/C area altogether. If you were thinking of walking to B, C or D it is possible, just outside. Hope this helps!
It is now possible in PHL to connect to all terminals walking airside after clearing security at any other terminal. But it's quite a hike from A-west to F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.