Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage & protection issues > 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
oneworld announces alliance airlines no longer required to honor missed connections or interline baggage for those on separate PNRs

NOTE: See AA Protection on separate oneworld tickets / PNR

AA policy: “Through Checked Baggage Policy – Separate Tickets“ - see PDF available attached to post #1.

Background:
Originally Posted by OAG

According to OAG’s most recent report, “Self-Connection: The Rise and Roadblocks of a Growing Travel Booking Strategy,” 40 percent of U.S. travellers are bypassing typical booking practices, such as through an airline, travel agency or OTA, and are beginning to self-connect when they travel.

Self-connecting passengers are defined as those that book separate tickets to fly from City A to City C, via City B.

Already popular in Europe, self-connecting is beginning to increase in popularity in the U.S. market as passengers look to save money. Passengers can mix and match airlines in order to score the best deal or connect through a city they would like to visit on the way to their final destination. But what are some of the roadblocks and challenges to successfully self-connect, and how can airlines or airports make this process easier?
oneworld airlines are not required to provide connecting passenger protection of through checked baggage to passengers on separate PNRs; individual airlines may still choose to do so, but it is not required. AA, BA, QF (9/2016) have modified their policies regarding connection protection and baggage through checking of passengers flying on separate PNRs. Read on. (Yes, it means on separate PNRs AA won't even through check on AA to AA - link to ODF.))

Qatar Airways / QR has verified as of 1 March 2017 they will interline baggage on separate PNRs. They must be the first airline (not one honoring the original oneworld policy) one checks in with, and the connection must meet MCT (usually two hours). See more in post quoted below, and link to Australian Business Traveller article. (26 Feb 2017)

MH / Malaysia Airlines STILL HONOR connection protection and through checking / interlining on separate PNRs.

Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon reversed their policy and through check baggage on separate PNRs as of 1 Jan 2017. See post #1.

JL / Japan Airlines began through checking to oneworld partners again in Oct 2016.

Qatar Airways will through check baggage to oneworld partners if it’s the trip origin airline.

See Wikipost for this thread in oneworld forum for the list of oneworld airlines and known through checking policies.

Link to American Airlines' policy on through checking baggage as of 1 Sep 2016. Notice that different protocols are followed in IROPS / OSO conditions.

As well, “if you book an award ticket and a paid ticket at the same time, there are mixed reports here of well trained agents being able to combine these into a single PNR at the time of booking, which enables bags to be through checked. But this takes a good agent, probably several HUCAs, and can only be done at the time of booking. “ - JJeffrey

Code:
Through Checked Baggage Policy (AA, 1 Sep 2016) (link to PDF)

To align American Airlines (AA) with our oneworld partners and to reduce
baggage mishandlings, we will now only through check customers and
baggage when all the tickets are in the same PNR.

Through check-in will be honored between the following carriers only:
  • Code:
    American Airlines and American Eagle
    • Code:
       oneworld airlines and affiliates

Code:
What if I have separate tickets in the same PNR for itineraries with
American to a non-oneworld carrier?

"Our policy on American to non-oneworld airline tickets has not changed.
We will not through check customers or bags even if the tickets are in
the same PNR."

What would be the bag charges if the customer holds separate tickets
in separate PNRs?

American will not through check a customer’s bag, regardless if it is
a oneworld carrier. The customer will need to collect their bag at
the final destination on the AA ticket. They will pay for the bag on the
second ticket when they recheck it. This may involve exiting the secure
area, then claiming and re-checking the bags. The Minimum Connecting
Time (MCT) will usually not be sufficient when the customer has separate
tickets issued for each airline.

International flights on separate PNRs (or to non-oneworld carriers) will usually require claiming bags, clearing customs and rechecking bags on another carrier to be continued to their next destination.

What will customers be charged if we can through check the bag?

The charges would depend on what tickets the customer holds in the same PNR.

Do Alaska and our other codeshare/interline partners count as affiliate airlines?

No, the oneworld affiliate airlines are generally the regional partners of the other oneworld carriers. If a customer held an AS ticket and an AA ticket in the same PNR we would not through check the bag. They would need to reclaim then recheck their bag with AS.
When issuing separate tickets it is important your customer be informed that American is unable to ‘through-check' bags with 2 separate tickets (PNRs) if they are traveling on American and non-oneworld carriers. This will result in an airport check-in representative collecting the required baggage fees based on each airline's established policies.

Please advise the customer to allow additional time to claim their baggage, present the required travel documents to enter the country, if relevant, and meet check-in requirements for the connecting flight. The Minimum Connecting Time (MCT) will usually not be sufficient when the customer has separate tickets issued for each airline.

Link

(One PNR can be comprised of several tickets - up to 16, if memory serves.)

Australian Business Traveller (in part): “Despite the two airlines' (AA and QF) joint venture across the Pacific, check-in staff are no longer obliged to tag your baggage through to your final destination from September 1 2016 if your flights are booked separately (separate ONRs) rather than under the one reservation.”

Instead, those bags will only be tagged as far as the destination shown on each individual booking – not where you’re actually headed at the end of the trip. Both Qantas and American Airlines have confirmed the new arrangements to Australian Business Traveller.
Those also announcing they will NOT HONOR connection protection and through checking / interlining on separate PNRs, even on oneworld airline partners. (AA still honors connection protection if your next flight is on AA.)

E.g. CX new policy in line with above:

"+ oneworld Ticketing and Disruption Policy 01 Jun 2016

Separate Ticket Policy - Revised Through Check in Handling

With effect from 01 Jun 2016, all oneworld carriers have agreed that through* check-in will apply ONLY to passengers travelling on an oneworld itinerary ticketed on a single ticket or where segments are ticketed separately but in the same PNR.

*=Through services are defined as the customer and their baggage being through checked to their final destinations.

To align with the change, disruption policy will also be revised to exclude protection for passengers holding separate tickets that is not booked under the same PNR."
NOTE: CX will still offer protection and baggage interlining between Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon.

Oneworld (sic) communications chief Michael Blunt tells Australian Business Traveller that “individual member airlines are free to offer service above and beyond the (Oneworld) alliance minimum standard if they so choose, so some may continue to offer through check-in for customers travelling on separate bookings.”

"All our member airlines will be delighted to continue to check them and their baggage through to any of the 1,000 plus destinations on the alliance network, on multiple sectors,” Blunt says, “provided the itinerary is all on one booking so we are aware of where they and their baggage want to end up and we can plan accordingly and ensure the best possible customer service delivery throughout the journey.”

M. Blunt, as quoted in Australian Business Traveller
Gary Leff, View from the Wing, 16 Aug 2016: reached out to American and learned this new policy goes into effect September 1 although I’m not sure how they can retroactively apply it to tickets purchased before the new policy was implemented.

There’s one small saving grace. Customers traveling on separate tickets where one segment is an award ticket and another has been purchased can through-check bags. Travel must be on American or oneworld partners, and not on partners outside the oneworld alliance (like Etihad or Air Tahiti Nui). Tickets much be in the same reservation. Link
"
  • If you’re booked on two separate PNRs on oneworld carriers, you’ve previously been able to check your bags through to your final destination
  • If you’re booked on two separate tickets on oneworld carriers, you’ve been protected in the event of a misconnect or cancelation

As of June 1, 2016, the oneworld alliance has eliminated these benefits for passengers booked on separate tickets. Oneworld carriers no longer have to check your bags through to other oneworld carriers if booked on a separate ticket, and no longer have to protect you in the event of a misconnect when on separate tickets."

Link to full article in Boarding Area
"In a move which could cause connection chaos for many travellers, airlines belonging to the Oneworld (sic) alliance ... are no longer required to check passengers and their baggage through to their final destination on some connecting flights.

"The new scheme, which came into effect from June 1st (2016), impacts passengers whose journey involves flights on more than one airline where their travel encompasses more than one booking, rather than all flights being listed under a single booking reference. "

But, good news for those flying Qatar Airways:

Originally Posted by JDiver
Important change! Qatar Airways has announced they will no longer adhere to oneworld's draconian baggage transfer policy when flights are booked on separate PNRs.

As long as MCT / minimum connection times are met, QR will interline baggage on separate oneworld PNRs as of 1 March 2017.

Australian Business Traveller found the change in the QR ground services manual issued 23 Feb 2017, verified by a QR spokesperson.

NOTE: If one is beginning travel with a one world airline adhering to the oneworld policy and continuing on Qatar, one flying on separate PNRs is still going to have to collect baggage and recheck with QR.

E.g. SFO-LAX on AA, LAX-DOH-CMB on QR, two PNRs - the first sector on AA, remainder on QR, AA will not respect QR ground handling rules so one will have to recover baggage at LAX and transfer it to the QR checkin counter.

(Added to Wikipost 26 Feb 2017)

Link to full article on Australian Business Traveller
Link to update of Aus BT article with airline announcements of their positions

On FT: oneworld no longer interlining between separate tickets / PNRs?

On FT: BA no longer interlining baggage with separate tickets

On FT: CX will not interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

On FT: JAL will continue to interline to other oneworld carriers on separate PNRs (4 Oct 2016)

On FT: Qantas - no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep (2016) [some exceptions]

Archived previous thread: ARCHIVE: Change to through-checking Oct 2014 (interlining) baggage on separate tickets

Updated 26 Feb 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage & protection issues > 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:56 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Here is View from the Wing on this issue: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....world-tickets/

It seems to say towards the bottom that existing award travel can be combined with paid travel into one PNR which would allow through checking. Anyone have experience with this?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
You are missing the entire point. This has nothing to do with time & resources. AA is entirely capable of transferring bags as it would have and will continue to do so on single tickets. But, just like cancellation penalties for discounted tickets, this new policy represents a clear-cut policy which applies to those who choose to purchase separate tickets when a single ticket was available.

Here, that is complicated because OP apparently gate-checked. I am not a fan of having GA's go through additional complexities beyond that which is absolutely necessary to get the aircraft out.
In my case to redeem the AA points for Sydney trip at that time only available at LAX and I can fly together with other family members. Therefore, I spent extra money to buy an AA tickets from DCA to LAX and was told AA will check me in all the way through. Then I changed job and move to San Francisco so I bought another AA ticket which was more expensive but I thought it is worth it since AA will check my luggage all the to Sydney and issue my boarding pass for Qantas flight since I booked at AA website with AA locator number. So neither one will happen so I will take the early flight with Southwest. I wish I know ahead before buy AA ticket from SFO to LAX since someone told me AA will check my luggage before I bought ticket.

Another question if it is single ticket will AA check luggage all the way to Sydney even the flight from LAX to Sydney with Qantas? How about boarding pass since if AA do not issue boarding pass I have to go out and recheck again.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
I just talked to two AAgents. Both claim they're unable to link my new paid booking with an existing award booking. Best one of them could do was make a note in the reservation. I was asked to pay $300 or $150 (exact # seems to change on whim) to modify my existing booking so all flight segments appear under one PNR. Useless!

Originally Posted by abk
Here is View from the Wing on this issue: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....world-tickets/

It seems to say towards the bottom that existing award travel can be combined with paid travel into one PNR which would allow through checking. Anyone have experience with this?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by eethan
What about OW->AA?

I have an AA issued award flying LAN into LAX. If I book my domestic AA leg today, will I be protected in case of misconnect?
This is totally up to LAN's policy. It seems like most OW carriers are no longer through-checking baggage on separate tickets, but I haven't seen anything specific about LAN.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by hoang53
Another question if it is single ticket will AA check luggage all the way to Sydney even the flight from LAX to Sydney with Qantas? How about boarding pass since if AA do not issue boarding pass I have to go out and recheck again.
If a single ticket your luggage will be checked through and you'll receive a boarding pass. Even if you did not get a boarding pass, you could get one at the gate.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
My worry is solely about getting protected in case my delayed LAN flight prevents me from catching my AA flight.

If aagents are indeed authorized to add a paid segment to an existing award booking, is there a reference we can point them to? (Other than VFTW)

Originally Posted by eethan
I just talked to two AAgents. Both claim they're unable to link my new paid booking with an existing award booking. Best one of them could do was make a note in the reservation. I was asked to pay $300 or $150 (exact # seems to change on whim) to modify my existing booking so all flight segments appear under one PNR. Useless!
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I can't get an OTA to add a flight to an existing PNR.

If I've understood the AA table correctly, if I purchase this standalone flight as an award I will be protected in IRROPS for my onward connection.

Specifically, I'm looking at a DCA-JFK flight in mid-January that arrives at 7.30pm. My QR flight departs at 9.15pm.

I understood weather may be an issue at that time of year but even if AA doesn't through check my bag I am protected if the AA flight is delayed such that AA would re-book me on the next QR flight and provide accommodation. Is my understanding correct?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are three different operations being mixed and mingled here. That causes both confusion and heartache.

1. One cannot "add" a segment to a ticket. That happens by reissuing the ticket. Depending on why this happens and the fare rules, this may either not be possible at all, may incur fees and may cause the entire ticket to be refared (including unchanged segments). This should never be done without having a committed price for the reissued ticket before authorizing the reissue.

2. PNR's are simply administrative vehicles which carriers use to track tickets. A PNR may contain multiple tickets. For this reason, one PNR may contain tickets for multiple people or one person may have multiple tickets under a PNR. Carriers will generally not add tickets to PNR's because they do not train their agents to do so and it is a cumbersome process which is not necessary to their operations. TA's can do this and it is something best handled by a trustworthy TA with whom you deal on a regular basis (meaning not just the TA as an entity, but the specific individual). This eliminates OTA's and various opaque vendors. Most will charge a fee for all but their best customers.

3. Linking simply means that entries are made in the PNR notes with the PNR for the other tickets. It has no impact whatsoever unless someone manually reads the PNR notes. It might possibly be useful if you are travelling with a separately-booked UM, a disabled companion or in some special circumstances where should circumstances arise, when an agent pulls up that individual's PNR, they will see a reference to your PNR and then contact you.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by danger
I can't get an OTA to add a flight to an existing PNR.

If I've understood the AA table correctly, if I purchase this standalone flight as an award I will be protected in IRROPS for my onward connection.

Specifically, I'm looking at a DCA-JFK flight in mid-January that arrives at 7.30pm. My QR flight departs at 9.15pm.

I understood weather may be an issue at that time of year but even if AA doesn't through check my bag I am protected if the AA flight is delayed such that AA would re-book me on the next QR flight and provide accommodation. Is my understanding correct?
If you check bags, AA will most likely not check them through to QR; you will most likely have to recover them at JFK and check them at QR. You will not be protected, officially, if you fly this separately. In your shoes I'd plan an earlier flight.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Given it's January, maybe a day earlier?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by JDiver
If you check bags, AA will most likely not check them through to QR; you will most likely have to recover them at JFK and check them at QR. You will not be protected, officially, if you fly this separately. In your shoes I'd plan an earlier flight.
Originally Posted by beachfan
Given it's January, maybe a day earlier?
Thanks for the advice.

I thought that because the AA table states it protects passengers in IRROPS on separate tickets AA-OW I would be okay.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:14 am

My sister has 2 tickets on AA in separate PNRs. First is BNA-LGA, second ticket is LGA-PHL-DUB. All on AA flights. Will AA check her bags all the way to DUB? She will misconnect (due to schedule changes) in LGA if she has to collect her bags and recheck. She also fly's with a big suitcase so switching to carry-on at the airport is not an option.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dbennett37
My sister has 2 tickets on AA in separate PNRs. First is BNA-LGA, second ticket is LGA-PHL-DUB. All on AA flights. Will AA check her bags all the way to DUB? She will misconnect (due to schedule changes) in LGA if she has to collect her bags and recheck. She also fly's with a big suitcase so switching to carry-on at the airport is not an option.
No, AA won't check her bags through. Wonderful new policy isn't it?

If she booked both tickets before Sep. 1 then they may give her some leeway, as the policy supposedly provides a grace period for tickets booked before that date. However based on my experience (posted above) that didn't even work.

Edit: if a schedule change has caused her BNA-LGA flight to arrive later than you originally planned, then call AA and ask to be put on an earlier flight that will give her time to re-check the bag.

Last edited by JJeffrey; Oct 20, 2016 at 11:33 am
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No, AA won't check her bags through. Wonderful new policy isn't it?

If she booked both tickets before Sep. 1 then they may give her some leeway, as the policy supposedly provides a grace period for tickets booked before that date. However based on my experience (posted above) that didn't even work.

Edit: if a schedule change has caused her BNA-LGA flight to arrive later than you originally planned, then call AA and ask to be put on an earlier flight that will give her time to re-check the bag.
The schedule change was to her DUB segments and since it's a consolidator fare (booked as part of a tour pkg) AA won't help. I told her to be safe and use a carry on size bag in case she has problems. But she's one of those that needs 2 outfits per day! Thanks for the reply.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: Avis CC, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
There's really some confusion on this and how it's applied.

I was traveling LEX -> CLT -> MIA -> Somewhere, and the Gate Agent in LEX told me that she couldn't check through on two separate PNR's -- after being persistent (it's all AA Metal, why should *I* have to manage with this chaos), she called the helpdesk and they linked the PNR's together. (Early October travel)

I was traveling DCA -> DFW -> MIA -> DFW -> Somewhere on two separate PNR's and the Gate Agent at DCA has *no issues* adding the Somewhere leg to the end of my ticket, and my luggage arrived without issue. (Mid October travel)

(mild rant here)

If PAR/D and friends don't like the way that they treat their customers, then I'm sure that they'll eventually realize that we don't have to travel on AA. Yes, I'm an EXP. Yes, the FA's, GA's, and everyone else remind me that they appreciate my business but removing the things that keep me a loyal customer make me want to no longer be loyal to your airline.

Happy customers are repeat customers. AA/oneWorld/etc removing tools to make travel suck less don't make happy customers.
(end rant)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.