Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage & protection issues > 2016

Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
oneworld announces alliance airlines no longer required to honor missed connections or interline baggage for those on separate PNRs

NOTE: See AA Protection on separate oneworld tickets / PNR

AA policy: Through Checked Baggage Policy Separate Tickets - see PDF available attached to post #1.

Background:
Originally Posted by OAG

According to OAGs most recent report, Self-Connection: The Rise and Roadblocks of a Growing Travel Booking Strategy, 40 percent of U.S. travellers are bypassing typical booking practices, such as through an airline, travel agency or OTA, and are beginning to self-connect when they travel.

Self-connecting passengers are defined as those that book separate tickets to fly from City A to City C, via City B.

Already popular in Europe, self-connecting is beginning to increase in popularity in the U.S. market as passengers look to save money. Passengers can mix and match airlines in order to score the best deal or connect through a city they would like to visit on the way to their final destination. But what are some of the roadblocks and challenges to successfully self-connect, and how can airlines or airports make this process easier?
oneworld airlines are not required to provide connecting passenger protection of through checked baggage to passengers on separate PNRs; individual airlines may still choose to do so, but it is not required. AA, BA, QF (9/2016) have modified their policies regarding connection protection and baggage through checking of passengers flying on separate PNRs. Read on. (Yes, it means on separate PNRs AA won't even through check on AA to AA - link to ODF.))

Qatar Airways / QR has verified as of 1 March 2017 they will interline baggage on separate PNRs. They must be the first airline (not one honoring the original oneworld policy) one checks in with, and the connection must meet MCT (usually two hours). See more in post quoted below, and link to Australian Business Traveller article. (26 Feb 2017)

MH / Malaysia Airlines STILL HONOR connection protection and through checking / interlining on separate PNRs.

Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon reversed their policy and through check baggage on separate PNRs as of 1 Jan 2017. See post #1.

JL / Japan Airlines began through checking to oneworld partners again in Oct 2016.

Qatar Airways will through check baggage to oneworld partners if its the trip origin airline.

See Wikipost for this thread in oneworld forum for the list of oneworld airlines and known through checking policies.

Link to American Airlines' policy on through checking baggage as of 1 Sep 2016. Notice that different protocols are followed in IROPS / OSO conditions.

As well, if you book an award ticket and a paid ticket at the same time, there are mixed reports here of well trained agents being able to combine these into a single PNR at the time of booking, which enables bags to be through checked. But this takes a good agent, probably several HUCAs, and can only be done at the time of booking. - JJeffrey

Code:
Through Checked Baggage Policy (AA, 1 Sep 2016) (link to PDF)

To align American Airlines (AA) with our oneworld partners and to reduce
baggage mishandlings, we will now only through check customers and
baggage when all the tickets are in the same PNR.

Through check-in will be honored between the following carriers only:
  • Code:
    American Airlines and American Eagle
    • Code:
       oneworld airlines and affiliates

Code:
What if I have separate tickets in the same PNR for itineraries with
American to a non-oneworld carrier?

"Our policy on American to non-oneworld airline tickets has not changed.
We will not through check customers or bags even if the tickets are in
the same PNR."

What would be the bag charges if the customer holds separate tickets
in separate PNRs?

American will not through check a customers bag, regardless if it is
a oneworld carrier. The customer will need to collect their bag at
the final destination on the AA ticket. They will pay for the bag on the
second ticket when they recheck it. This may involve exiting the secure
area, then claiming and re-checking the bags. The Minimum Connecting
Time (MCT) will usually not be sufficient when the customer has separate
tickets issued for each airline.

International flights on separate PNRs (or to non-oneworld carriers) will usually require claiming bags, clearing customs and rechecking bags on another carrier to be continued to their next destination.

What will customers be charged if we can through check the bag?

The charges would depend on what tickets the customer holds in the same PNR.

Do Alaska and our other codeshare/interline partners count as affiliate airlines?

No, the oneworld affiliate airlines are generally the regional partners of the other oneworld carriers. If a customer held an AS ticket and an AA ticket in the same PNR we would not through check the bag. They would need to reclaim then recheck their bag with AS.
When issuing separate tickets it is important your customer be informed that American is unable to through-check' bags with 2 separate tickets (PNRs) if they are traveling on American and non-oneworld carriers. This will result in an airport check-in representative collecting the required baggage fees based on each airline's established policies.

Please advise the customer to allow additional time to claim their baggage, present the required travel documents to enter the country, if relevant, and meet check-in requirements for the connecting flight. The Minimum Connecting Time (MCT) will usually not be sufficient when the customer has separate tickets issued for each airline.

Link

(One PNR can be comprised of several tickets - up to 16, if memory serves.)

Australian Business Traveller (in part): Despite the two airlines' (AA and QF) joint venture across the Pacific, check-in staff are no longer obliged to tag your baggage through to your final destination from September 1 2016 if your flights are booked separately (separate ONRs) rather than under the one reservation.

Instead, those bags will only be tagged as far as the destination shown on each individual booking not where youre actually headed at the end of the trip. Both Qantas and American Airlines have confirmed the new arrangements to Australian Business Traveller.
Those also announcing they will NOT HONOR connection protection and through checking / interlining on separate PNRs, even on oneworld airline partners. (AA still honors connection protection if your next flight is on AA.)

E.g. CX new policy in line with above:

"+ oneworld Ticketing and Disruption Policy 01 Jun 2016

Separate Ticket Policy - Revised Through Check in Handling

With effect from 01 Jun 2016, all oneworld carriers have agreed that through* check-in will apply ONLY to passengers travelling on an oneworld itinerary ticketed on a single ticket or where segments are ticketed separately but in the same PNR.

*=Through services are defined as the customer and their baggage being through checked to their final destinations.

To align with the change, disruption policy will also be revised to exclude protection for passengers holding separate tickets that is not booked under the same PNR."
NOTE: CX will still offer protection and baggage interlining between Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon.

Oneworld (sic) communications chief Michael Blunt tells Australian Business Traveller that individual member airlines are free to offer service above and beyond the (Oneworld) alliance minimum standard if they so choose, so some may continue to offer through check-in for customers travelling on separate bookings.

"All our member airlines will be delighted to continue to check them and their baggage through to any of the 1,000 plus destinations on the alliance network, on multiple sectors, Blunt says, provided the itinerary is all on one booking so we are aware of where they and their baggage want to end up and we can plan accordingly and ensure the best possible customer service delivery throughout the journey.

M. Blunt, as quoted in Australian Business Traveller
Gary Leff, View from the Wing, 16 Aug 2016: reached out to American and learned this new policy goes into effect September 1 although Im not sure how they can retroactively apply it to tickets purchased before the new policy was implemented.

Theres one small saving grace. Customers traveling on separate tickets where one segment is an award ticket and another has been purchased can through-check bags. Travel must be on American or oneworld partners, and not on partners outside the oneworld alliance (like Etihad or Air Tahiti Nui). Tickets much be in the same reservation. Link
"
  • If youre booked on two separate PNRs on oneworld carriers, youve previously been able to check your bags through to your final destination
  • If youre booked on two separate tickets on oneworld carriers, youve been protected in the event of a misconnect or cancelation

As of June 1, 2016, the oneworld alliance has eliminated these benefits for passengers booked on separate tickets. Oneworld carriers no longer have to check your bags through to other oneworld carriers if booked on a separate ticket, and no longer have to protect you in the event of a misconnect when on separate tickets."

Link to full article in Boarding Area
"In a move which could cause connection chaos for many travellers, airlines belonging to the Oneworld (sic) alliance ... are no longer required to check passengers and their baggage through to their final destination on some connecting flights.

"The new scheme, which came into effect from June 1st (2016), impacts passengers whose journey involves flights on more than one airline where their travel encompasses more than one booking, rather than all flights being listed under a single booking reference. "

But, good news for those flying Qatar Airways:

Originally Posted by JDiver
Important change! Qatar Airways has announced they will no longer adhere to oneworld's draconian baggage transfer policy when flights are booked on separate PNRs.

As long as MCT / minimum connection times are met, QR will interline baggage on separate oneworld PNRs as of 1 March 2017.

Australian Business Traveller found the change in the QR ground services manual issued 23 Feb 2017, verified by a QR spokesperson.

NOTE: If one is beginning travel with a one world airline adhering to the oneworld policy and continuing on Qatar, one flying on separate PNRs is still going to have to collect baggage and recheck with QR.

E.g. SFO-LAX on AA, LAX-DOH-CMB on QR, two PNRs - the first sector on AA, remainder on QR, AA will not respect QR ground handling rules so one will have to recover baggage at LAX and transfer it to the QR checkin counter.

(Added to Wikipost 26 Feb 2017)

Link to full article on Australian Business Traveller
Link to update of Aus BT article with airline announcements of their positions

On FT: oneworld no longer interlining between separate tickets / PNRs?

On FT: BA no longer interlining baggage with separate tickets

On FT: CX will not interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

On FT: JAL will continue to interline to other oneworld carriers on separate PNRs (4 Oct 2016)

On FT: Qantas - no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep (2016) [some exceptions]

Archived previous thread: ARCHIVE: Change to through-checking Oct 2014 (interlining) baggage on separate tickets

Updated 26 Feb 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage & protection issues > 2016

Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So if I understand correctly, the through-check baggage policy is gone now, but the IROPs protection remains?
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You got it.

This is great, but sad at the same time, I was sort of looking forward in using Flagship check in on our trip to Europe, however, this gives me more time to go check out all the lounges.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I've read through the updates and I am still a little confused. Here is my planned itinerary: HKG-SFO-ORD where HKG-SFO is through CX and SFO-ORD is through AA. The CX segment is booked as separate tickets than the AA segment due to mixed cabin and fare issues.The self-connection in SFO is just under 2 hours (which is over the 100 minute MCT from what I understand). Is that protected by AA? CX doesn't have a protection policy for separate tickets right? They'll only interline baggage?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I've read through the updates and I am still a little confused. Here is my planned itinerary: HKG-SFO-ORD where HKG-SFO is through CX and SFO-ORD is through AA. The CX segment is booked as separate tickets than the AA segment due to mixed cabin and fare issues.The self-connection in SFO is just under 2 hours (which is over the 100 minute MCT from what I understand). Is that protected by AA? CX doesn't have a protection policy for separate tickets right? They'll only interline baggage?
Yes it should be protected, my response a few posts above is very relevant.

No, as long as the other carrier that causes the misconnect is oneworld, then AA should protect you.

I say should because even though there is a policy in place, this is another area where the amount of rebooking help you get can be highly variable depending on the airport, situation, agent mood, agent training, etc.

One example I have: few yrs back I was flying VIE-LHR on BA connecting to LHR-RDU on AA, separate tickets. VIE-LHR is delayed, run to the gate to see the RDU flight pushing back. Went back to the AA LHR transit desk where I was rebooked on a later connection via JFK without any issues at all.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I've read through the updates and I am still a little confused. Here is my planned itinerary: HKG-SFO-ORD where HKG-SFO is through CX and SFO-ORD is through AA. The CX segment is booked as separate tickets than the AA segment due to mixed cabin and fare issues. The self-connection in SFO is just under 2 hours (which is over the 100 minute MCT from what I understand). Is that protected by AA? CX doesn't have a protection policy for separate tickets right? They'll only interline baggage?
Interline baggage & protection are different things, but related.
CX will interline baggage as here---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...rate-pnrs.html
But as SFO is your port of entry into USA you must clear immigration & customs with all your checked & carry on luggage. Then bag drop if tagged for the next AA flight
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Hi, I'm contemplating a separate ticketed AA-IB connection in MAD with a 2hr50min connection. As I understand it from this thread, I'd be protected if my incoming AA flight comes in late. But is 2hr50mins considered a reasonable connection even though it's well above the MCT? We'll have luggage.

Also, what is IB's duty to rebook me. The flight I'd be connecting to operates only once a day (MAD-ALG). There's a MAD-ALG flight 2 hrs later on Air Algerie and a Vueling flight 8 hrs later. Are they obligated to rebook me on those, or can they just tell me to wait until the next day for the next IB flight? Thanks
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
Hi, I'm contemplating a separate ticketed AA-IB connection in MAD with a 2hr50min connection. As I understand it from this thread, I'd be protected if my incoming AA flight comes in late. But is 2hr50mins considered a reasonable connection even though it's well above the MCT? We'll have luggage.

Also, what is IB's duty to rebook me. The flight I'd be connecting to operates only once a day (MAD-ALG). There's a MAD-ALG flight 2 hrs later on Air Algerie and a Vueling flight 8 hrs later. Are they obligated to rebook me on those, or can they just tell me to wait until the next day for the next IB flight? Thanks
I typically have a very high risk tolerance for this type of connection, but with bags connecting to a once-a-day flight I'm not sure about this one.

Unless IB has a specific policy like AA they are probably under no obligation to rebook you. Should you miss the flight, in a best case scenario you'd be rebooked on the next day's flight, while most likely they'd tell you to go pound sand (i.e. buy a brand new ticket). AA has the policy to protect on separate tickets, so it would be up to AA to coordinate with IB to get you rebooked. This is a prime example of the scenario I mentioned a few posts above, in that even though a policy is in place, actually finding an employee willing to help and abide by it is a YMMV situation at international outstations like MAD.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
I typically have a very high risk tolerance for this type of connection, but with bags connecting to a once-a-day flight I'm not sure about this one.

Unless IB has a specific policy like AA they are probably under no obligation to rebook you. Should you miss the flight, in a best case scenario you'd be rebooked on the next day's flight, while most likely they'd tell you to go pound sand (i.e. buy a brand new ticket). AA has the policy to protect on separate tickets, so it would be up to AA to coordinate with IB to get you rebooked. This is a prime example of the scenario I mentioned a few posts above, in that even though a policy is in place, actually finding an employee willing to help and abide by it is a YMMV situation at international outstations like MAD.
Yep, that's my fear. I'd be confident AA would resolve a problem in the US, but I've found that it's the wild west at these 'international outstations.'
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

If AA is the late-delivering carrier, it would be AA's responsibility -- not IB's -- to protect the passenger.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:46 am

ORD Flagship Lounge access

We are traveling to LHR this week, MCI-ORD on AA, then separate ticket through BA for ORD-LHR. We have about a 4.5 hour layover in Chicago. My question - whats the best way to re-check our luggage in ORD but still access the AA Flagship Lounge? I understand the T3-T5 bus is only for international outbound flights, so it seems claiming our bags in T3, transferring to T5 for BA check-in, and then taking the post-security bus isnt an option. Id prefer not to have my bags held in the baggage office for several hours, either. Thanks for the input!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
I totally agree. I would not at all rely on IB to help you. This is a case where I'd strongly consider buying a through-ticket.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This is great, but sad at the same time, I was sort of looking forward in using Flagship check in on our trip to Europe, however, this gives me more time to go check out all the lounges.
Makes no sense. Reprotect you with a bag across separate tickets due to IRROPS - sure! Check your bag across separate tickets with no IRROPS - nope! The former is surely far more expensive over the long run than the potential liability of a misroute in the latter.

🤔🤔😣😣
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Makes no sense. Reprotect you with a bag across separate tickets due to IRROPS - sure! Check your bag across separate tickets with no IRROPS - nope! The former is surely far more expensive over the long run than the potential liability of a misroute in the latter.

🤔🤔😣😣
Yup. Completely stupid and nothing but a money-grab. Oh well there are enough people here in favor of anything AA does so no incentive for them to change.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by mciAVgeek
We are traveling to LHR this week, MCI-ORD on AA, then separate ticket through BA for ORD-LHR. We have about a 4.5 hour layover in Chicago. My question - whats the best way to re-check our luggage in ORD but still access the AA Flagship Lounge? I understand the T3-T5 bus is only for international outbound flights, so it seems claiming our bags in T3, transferring to T5 for BA check-in, and then taking the post-security bus isnt an option. Id prefer not to have my bags held in the baggage office for several hours, either. Thanks for the input!
Are your tickets in the same PNR? If so you can check the bags all the way through, enjoy the flagship lounge and then take the bus over to T5, airside. But that's only going to work if the tickets are in the same booking.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:52 pm

What are the usual credit card protections for self-connecting IRROPS?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by emilio911
What are the usual credit card protections for self-connecting IRROPS?
I cant recall any credit card protecting one in case of IROPS if on separate ticketing / PNRs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.