View Poll Results: Which seat would you choose: Middle Seat MCE Exit or Standard MC Aisle?
I would take the middle Exit Row seat
21.05%
I would take a Main Cabin aisle seat
78.95%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Middle Exit Row Vs. Standard Aisle

Old Jun 9, 16, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, AA PLT, IHG PLT, Hyatt PLT, BW DI
Middle Exit Row Vs. Standard Aisle

Just an interesting conundrum I have (very) recently faced, because I guess I've been lucky in scoring lots of aisle and MCE seats in my short time as an American devotee.

If you had to take a flight where your only choice was between an MCE exit row MIDDLE SEAT with substantial leg room (no cost bc of status), vs an aisle seat way back near the galley, what would you choose?

I will withhold what my choice was, curious what you all think.
Old Jun 9, 16, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Aisle for me.
MarkOK and TSparky like this.
Old Jun 9, 16, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by swag View Post
Aisle for me.
+1
Old Jun 9, 16, 12:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
As a reasonably tall fellow, I much prefer the middle seat, if we're talking bulkhead/exit row. Especially on widebodies.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ame...777-300_ER.php

So, on this plane, if for example the only two seats left were 16B and 37C, I'd pick 16B in a heartbeat.

I'd think a little longer if 37B was also available, giving a little elbow room, but I'd still pick 16B.

It's a different story on the narrowbodies. There I'd probably go for an aisle seat. As it's far less of a benefit to be bulkhead, especially on pmUS planes.

Last edited by AtlanticX; Jun 9, 16 at 12:21 pm Reason: Put a 'little' where I used to have a 'lot'.
Old Jun 9, 16, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.003008 MM
Middle exit. I don't like sitting aft of the exit rows.
Old Jun 9, 16, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
I am pretty stringently anti-middle seat, even for exit row, though I can see why the consideration is being given.

About the only time I consider a middle over an aisle is when that middle is in the MCE section of the 77W and the aisle is in Y-.
Old Jun 9, 16, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I would always go aisle although I would take the middle seat of the exit row over a window.
Old Jun 9, 16, 3:00 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's, Hyatt Platinum
As the guy in the aisle exit row seat, if you take the middle I will hate you. Sorry.
Beachfun71 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 16, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
I have "middle-seat-phobia" after a horrendous experience a few years ago before I had any status (4.5 hours sandwiched between two rather large gentlemen).
I will take ANY window or aisle over ANY middle, exit row or not.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Jun 9, 16, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
If the middle seat exit row has tremendous leg room so that you can get up and go to the loo without bothering the aisle passenger, I'd vote for that. Otherwise, the aisle MCC (Main Cabin Coal) seat.
Old Jun 9, 16, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by gizmo78 View Post
As the guy in the aisle exit row seat, if you take the middle I will hate you. Sorry.
Given the load factors in the 2010s, you must be pretty angry.
Old Jun 9, 16, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
No conundrum for me. I take the middle exit all the time, and especially the bulkhead. This happens to me occasionally because of last minute planning or change of plans. I don't make apologies if the seatmate feels that their personal space is invaded by my taking the middle seat. It isn't their space, nor is it my role to make them feel good about themselves.

Conversely, I find no material comfort with an aisle seat in the back. Either it's dealing with the seat back being reclined onto my lap, needing to get out of the seat in order to let the window or middle seat pax use the lav, or being brushed by the beverage cart and everybody else passing through the aisle, the aisle seat in the back can be very unpleasant.
Old Jun 9, 16, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Exit middle. I usually am working on the laptop en route, and it's next to impossible for me to type if the person in front of me reclines and I don't have MCE
Old Jun 9, 16, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
I will withhold what my choice was, curious what you all think.
Looks like the consensus is "whichever you prefer."

So what did you choose?
Old Jun 9, 16, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, AA PLT, IHG PLT, Hyatt PLT, BW DI
Originally Posted by rjw242 View Post
Looks like the consensus is "whichever you prefer."

So what did you choose?
After avoiding middle seats like the plague, I gambled and took the MCE bulkhead exit, 10B, on a 321 today. 4 hour flight. It was that, the real economy middle seats, or one aisle seat WAY in the back. I figured I'd regret it.

Actually it was surprisingly pleasant for the reasons mentioned. I had room to work on my laptop, stretch out my legs, and get up when I wanted. It was not bad at all.

I still wouldn't choose it over any aisle or even window MCE, but as an alternative to a cramped back of the plane aisle seat? Yeah... It's not so bad.

I was wondering what others thought because I was quite surprised, to be honest.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: