Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
What are AAdvantage Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it?
NOTE: AAdvantage Platinum Pro elite status became available 1/1/2017.

Platinum Pro status requirements: in one calendar year, earn $9,000 EQD*, AND earn 75,000 EQ Miles or fly 90 EQ Segments.

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Status will last the status year earned and the following status year. (Platinum Pro status earned in 2017 will last through 31 Jan 2019.)

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two (2) free checked bags (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Free Same Day Flight Change (SDFC)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (EQM only)
  • Earn 9 Award Miles per "fare dollar" spent (fare & carrier imposed fees, not taxes, etc.)
  • Business class lounge access longhaul international and MEX** (see below)
  • oneworld Sapphire benefits (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for two (2) bags
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 72 hours
  • *Upgrades are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Platinum Pro members will not earn four 500-mile upgrades as you get unlimited domestic upgrades (UDU).

Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • N.B. Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld partner lounge access** Business Class and frequent flyer lounges

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**Access to Qantas Domestic Business Lounges excluded. AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Alaska Airlines Benefits ended 1/1/2018
Can only earn EQ on AA codeshares and AS International flights

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Updated 16 Jan 2018 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by texguy32
. Hopefully your experience will be better out of MCI.
Hopefully. Most of the business trips I have for 2018 already booked are places like ORD, ATL, TPA and RDU. I'm also hoping (but not holding my breath) that the ranks will thin after January 2018 due to EQD.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: AA
Since earning PPro I have been upgraded 100% of the time on VPS - CLT - PHF and back. Travel late Sunday return afternoon on Friday.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by texguy32
DFW-based, so YMMV. I was PlatPro for maybe 6 months from early in 2017 through late 2017. I was super excited initially to not have to use stickers. But the upgrade lists have gotten sufficiently long that my ability to use that privilege has been minimal. Never sniffed anything to other hubs (NYC, LAX, MIA, ORD, etc.). Consistently cleared 1-2 seats on leisure destinations (JAX, PNS, PDX, PHX, etc.). Even as a relatively recent EXP, it's a challenge to most places I go. Hopefully your experience will be better out of MCI.
This has been my experience as PPro and recent EXP as well. Good luck.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Standard consultant's schedule is a strange definition of "off peak".

Also with PP you should be able to reserve MCE seats at booking so a bit confused about the mention of paying for decent seats.
Generally everyone is flying into DCA on a Monday and out on Fridays. Just look at the TSA lines. There is zero wait when I leave on Mondays but when I return on Fridays the lines can be down the concourse.

Yes, as far as the MCE seats, that's correct. I meant that it was irritating when I first switched to AA from DL and had no status. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by pdac1975
Generally everyone is flying into DCA on a Monday and out on Fridays.
The flow might be stronger that direction, sure, given the role of D.C. as the center of government and all. But there's still more than enough pax to fill outbound F cabins on Monday AM.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MCI777
Just trying to taper my expectations for 2018.
If you are "tapering" your expectations, I'd plan/assume you will rarely get upgraded if you are not EXP and then be happy when/if you do on occasion.

Regards
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, United 1K
Open to your thoughts: I am $724 EDQ short but have met the other requirements to move from Plt to Platinum Pro. Should I do an EQD ("mileage") run or is it not worth it? I don't have any travel planned for the rest of the month/year. I do however have time between Christmas and New Years to do a run....and maybe enjoy some of the mass chaos since they didn't plan their pilot manning correct!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:09 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Termy
Open to your thoughts: I am $724 EDQ short but have met the other requirements to move from Plt to Platinum Pro. Should I do an EQD ("mileage") run or is it not worth it? I don't have any travel planned for the rest of the month/year. I do however have time between Christmas and New Years to do a run....and maybe enjoy some of the mass chaos since they didn't plan their pilot manning correct!
The reason I'd do it is to get the no-sticker-needed upgrades. Of course, if you're in a place where it's tough to upgrade, it might not be worth it.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, United 1K
I just managed one last minute trip with work that will cover $600 of the $724 I need-so now I am feeling like I will do a run to hit that EDQ.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by Termy
I just managed one last minute trip with work that will cover $600 of the $724 I need-so now I am feeling like I will do a run to hit that EDQ.
i would just call and upfare for the amount needed (with personal funds). Submit the original receipt for work reimbursement. Maybe buy yourself a first class seat as a treat! Saves you a trip and a spin of the upgrade roulette wheel.
Termy and SightseeMC like this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
I'll be falling from EXP to PPro for 2018. Ironically, not from EQD (which I'll have) but due to being largely grounded for the 2nd half of the year, so coming in short on miles and segments. I'm back in the air now, so hopefully I'll earn back up, but it will be a long climb and probably won't hit until late Q3 at the earliest. I was probably close to the bottom of the EXP list spend wise, but I suspect I'll be at the high end of the PPro list. I usually travel through smaller airports, so maybe, just maybe, my upgrade percentage won't take too big of a hit.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I got an email from AA offering free SDFC for Plat Pro starting Feb 2018. Perhaps this is old news but I didn't see it mentioned.

A new elite benefit for you
Starting February 1, AAdvantage® Platinum Pro members will be able to make same-day changes to their confirmed flights for free.

It's mentioned in the T&C on this page: https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:21 pm

Does Platinum Pro get luggage tags?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:45 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by ralphs
I got an email from AA offering free SDFC for Plat Pro starting Feb 2018. Perhaps this is old news but I didn't see it mentioned.

A new elite benefit for you
Starting February 1, AAdvantage® Platinum Pro members will be able to make same-day changes to their confirmed flights for free.

It's mentioned in the T&C on this page: https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
I did a SDFC for today's flight and it was free. Looks like they put it into effect before the official start date. Win!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by tonytifao
Does Platinum Pro get luggage tags?
Only EXP and Million Millers get luggage tags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.