Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
What are AAdvantage Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it?
NOTE: AAdvantage Platinum Pro elite status became available 1/1/2017.

Platinum Pro status requirements: in one calendar year, earn $9,000 EQD*, AND earn 75,000 EQ Miles or fly 90 EQ Segments.

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Status will last the status year earned and the following status year. (Platinum Pro status earned in 2017 will last through 31 Jan 2019.)

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two (2) free checked bags (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Free Same Day Flight Change (SDFC)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (EQM only)
  • Earn 9 Award Miles per "fare dollar" spent (fare & carrier imposed fees, not taxes, etc.)
  • Business class lounge access longhaul international and MEX** (see below)
  • oneworld Sapphire benefits (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for two (2) bags
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 72 hours
  • *Upgrades are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Platinum Pro members will not earn four 500-mile upgrades as you get unlimited domestic upgrades (UDU).

Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • N.B. Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld partner lounge access** Business Class and frequent flyer lounges

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**Access to Qantas Domestic Business Lounges excluded. AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Alaska Airlines Benefits ended 1/1/2018
Can only earn EQ on AA codeshares and AS International flights

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Updated 16 Jan 2018 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA SLV, DL SLV, MR PLT
Originally Posted by EDnearJQF
I was struggling to decide if the same-day flight change was actually available, as it was "checked" on the elite status benefits page, but the written description only indicated that EXPs received complimentary changes (based on status).

Now it appears that the table has changed. Does anyone have information to the contrary, or is this definitely not a PlatPro benefit?
Confirmed via AmericanAir on Twitter:

The complimentary Same Day Flight Change isn't a benefit for the Platinum Pro status.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Never mind... my post was irrelevant.

Last edited by badkneeski; Jan 11, 2017 at 3:18 pm Reason: Deleted because irrelevant
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:01 pm
E55

I am nearly sure that I also saw it checked a day or two ago. Now not. Interesting.
Originally Posted by EDnearJQF
I was struggling to decide if the same-day flight change was actually available, as it was "checked" on the elite status benefits page, but the written description only indicated that EXPs received complimentary changes (based on status).

Now it appears that the table has changed. Does anyone have information to the contrary, or is this definitely not a PlatPro benefit?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Earlier, I had said it was unlikely to be offered. Then, it was checked in the table. Apparently that was a mistake. Bad deal. I am guessing it was one of those copy the EXP columns and change situations.

Rasheed
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Originally Posted by fkhan11
I took the deal for $1749. I'm plat with 75 EQS last year but barely 50K EQMS. I fly ORD-LGA almost weekly (on personal travel), and will never reach Plat exec under current requirements. I may hit plat pro. With this, I get the upgrades without the stickers (which are much more difficult to earn because of the reduction in miles credited for flying), and the same day confirmed flight changes which are crucial.

Platinum just doesn't get you upgraded that much anymore. Now I can book the lowest fare for the day, 9 out of 10 times get the same day change (as opposed to 50% success rate on standby and a middle seat in row 26) , and get complimentary upgrades from the date of booking. The fare differences between a day fare and night fare can be easily $200. Between the savings on fares, and not having to buy upgrades because I don't earn them fast enough, make my $1750 back easy. Seems to me a no-brainer for my situation, IMHO.
So are you calling to get your money back now ?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:54 pm
E55

Or request EXP for the same price with no SWU as alternative ;-)
Originally Posted by dgparent
So are you calling to get your money back now ?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:01 pm

Buy up to AAdvantage Plat Pro - worth it?

My friend received 88,000 EQM on American in 2016. Because the new 4 tier system doesn't start until Feb, this doesn't qualify her for Platinum Pro for 2017. However, she was offered the opportunity to "buy up" for $900. Is this worth it? Or should she ride out the year as Platinum? An additional data point: nearly 1/2 of her flights are international, which she'll fly business anyway - but the other 1/2 are coast-to-coast. Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Bro, there's a whole thread about it one down

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-thread-8.html
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Neimh
My friend received 88,000 EQM on American in 2016. Because the new 4 tier system doesn't start until Feb, this doesn't qualify her for Platinum Pro for 2017. However, she was offered the opportunity to "buy up" for $900. Is this worth it? Or should she ride out the year as Platinum? An additional data point: nearly 1/2 of her flights are international, which she'll fly business anyway - but the other 1/2 are coast-to-coast. Thanks.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

As this topic is already being discussed in this thread and the one on buy back, boost, etc. and this one has the greater number of posts discussing the issue, we have moved your query here.

Be sure to check the list of P+ perks in the Wikiposts at the top of the page.

/Moderator
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum / Marriott Platinum / Avis Preferred Plus
Another complaint lodged...

Originally Posted by Krazy Karl
Current Plat, did 103 EQS and 63K EQM last year and got the $900 offer to Platinum Pro.

Spoke to customer service on the phone for about an hour or so bouncing to as high of a manager as they would send me to before they told me to email customer satisfaction.

Basically they said that the promotion was because people expressed interest in having Plat Pro starting this year. I explained our situation having earned the minimum requirements last year and was told that doesn't matter, and that this is the offer that corporate gave them.

Since it's only day one the manager said there is nothing they could do. I would assume if enough of us complain about the devaluation of our status and the actual earned miles flown last year, we may get the cost down some, but its going to require more than just a few calls.

Regards,
Karl
Same boat here... 70K EQM and 109 EQS last year, and $899 offer. Raked an Aadvantage CS Agent over the coals for a better offer today, and then did the same with their manager... both indicated they had ZERO latitude to do anything to sweeten the deal (indicated that it was basically nice of them to make the offer available at all). $899 is a bit hard to swallow when I was actually closer to EP qualification then PPro using the new standard (needed 11 EQS, vs the extra 19 I had vs PPro)...

My MIL is retired from American, and always cringes when the airline has some customer service snafu like this. Could have garnered a LOT of good will with folks who have bought into the loyalty program... now they are tarnishing the loyalty of some who up until now have been dedicated customers. Contemplating free agency myself now. But, I'm responding to note that at least one more dissatisfied Platinum (me) voiced discontent today...

Last edited by smillerlsu; Jan 11, 2017 at 11:27 pm Reason: added content
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by smillerlsu
Same boat here... 70K EQM and 109 EQS last year, and $899 offer. Raked an Aadvantage CS Agent over the coals for a better offer today, and then did the same with their manager... both indicated they had ZERO latitude to do anything to sweeten the deal (indicated that it was basically nice of them to make the offer available at all). $899 is a bit hard to swallow when I was actually closer to EP qualification then PPro using the new standard (needed 11 EQS, vs the extra 19 I had vs PPro)...

My MIL is retired from American, and always cringes when the airline has some customer service snafu like this. Could have garnered a LOT of good will with folks who have bought into the loyalty program... now they are tarnishing the loyalty of some who up until now have been dedicated customers. Contemplating free agency myself now. But, I'm responding to note that at least one more dissatisfied Platinum (me) voiced discontent today...
Offering people to buy up to PPro is not a "customer service snafu"
If you don't want to pony up the money to get it earlier than when you actually earn it later in 2017, then don't. I don't know why people think they're entitled to something or offended when offered a way to get the very thing they want. For $900 you can get your benefits such as unlimited free upgrades, what, 8-9 months early? Oh the horror.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: AA EXP. HHonors Diamond
I ended up taking the offer, I flew approx 72K miles last year and am pretty sure I will qualify for Play Pro this year on EQDs and EQMs unless anything radical changes at work. Cost $1099 to do it, but I think worth it if it comes through with some more upgrades and the extra RDM milage multiplier (planning a trip with the family next year and want to use miles for their tickets and buy mine) ... we will see if it is worth it or not.

In general the new tier is nice for me, I can get close to 75K miles on regular work/personal travel and the spend and and if need be, do some MR at the end of the year to qualify, but I was never going to hit 100K miles.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
The miscommunication over the SDC benefit is pretty ridiculous. The ambiguity of the website (lack of details beyond a check box) prompted my original call to them, where a CS rep was kind of surprised about it and a Plat desk rep said it appears that PPRO does have the benefit per his training, but only at the airport. Neither could explain why the details were not written out on the site. (He also said that EXP, like CK, is somewhat of a secretive program...).

I shot AAdvantage an email for confirmation, was told that it appears to be a benefit, but that I should confirm with a Plat rep, and when I pressed for some additional assurance (important when considering spending the $$), I was told to look at the site for all the details. By then, the site had changed. I did write back saying that the internal coordination amongst AA has been poor, it's evident that PPRO is half baked, and stuff like this really shows how loyal AA is to its frequent flyers.

I do not find it to be a coincidence that the emails for the boost went out when the website was "mistakenly" updated.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
It's disappointing that Platinum Pro (75,000 mile threshold) doesn't give free Same Day Change while Delta provides it from Gold on up (so at the 50,000 mile threshold).
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum / Marriott Platinum / Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Offering people to buy up to PPro is not a "customer service snafu"
If you don't want to pony up the money to get it earlier than when you actually earn it later in 2017, then don't. I don't know why people think they're entitled to something or offended when offered a way to get the very thing they want. For $900 you can get your benefits such as unlimited free upgrades, what, 8-9 months early? Oh the horror.
When there are loyal customers who significantly exceeded what became the new requirements, and when the company could easily grandfather in the requirement RATHER THAN tick off a segment of their loyal customer base who view the "opportunity" to pay for something more as a slap... yes, that is poor attention to customer satisfaction (and a missed opportunity for American). Especially when they risk losing revenue from this base that would easily have recouped the cost of the comp... it's a snafu. But then, a large portion of what I do every day IS customer care...

Last edited by smillerlsu; Jan 12, 2017 at 7:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.