Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 23, 19, 7:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
What are AAdvantage Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it?
NOTE: AAdvantage Platinum Pro elite status became available 1/1/2017.

Platinum Pro status requirements: in one calendar year, earn $9,000 EQD*, AND earn 75,000 EQ Miles or fly 90 EQ Segments.

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Status will last the status year earned and the following status year. (Platinum Pro status earned in 2017 will last through 31 Jan 2019.)

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two (2) free checked bags
  • Free Same Day Flight Change (SDFC)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (EQM only)
  • Earn 9 Award Miles per "fare dollar" spent (fare & carrier imposed fees, not taxes, etc.)
  • Business class lounge access longhaul international and MEX** (see below)
  • oneworld Sapphire benefits (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for two (2) bags
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 72 hours
  • *Upgrades are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Platinum Pro members will not earn four 500-mile upgrades as you get unlimited domestic upgrades (UDU).

Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • N.B. Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld partner lounge access** Business Class and frequent flyer lounges

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**Access to Qantas Domestic Business Lounges excluded. AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Alaska Airlines Benefits ended 1/1/2018
Can only earn EQ on AA codeshares and AS International flights

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Updated 16 Jan 2018 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 30, 16, 7:19 am

Also lowly PLT, I get upgraded a good amount. Albeit I fly mostly to/from SAN, but this year I am not a consultant anymore and will be lucky to hit GLD. Anyway, myself and my wife were upgraded to/from MIA from JFK this year, I was upgraded to SAN multiple times this year, not the way back (one of the upgrades was when I booked the flight on the same day). I am definitely happy with upgrades as a PLT versus a GLD. I think many of you are forgetting that the vast majority of FFs in AA are either GLD or just AAdvantage members. Being PLT and up, when traveling mid week or non busy airports, you get upgraded quite frequently I feel like. Sure now we will have more PPs, but being PLT was already much better than GLD. I couldn't imagine being EXP, I would get upgraded all the time because nowdays I don't fly for work (and hence, fly during "rush hour"). I strategically pick my flights that are less full and mid week, and my upgrade percentage is pretty good
Old Jun 30, 16, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, UA Silver, Marr LTTitanium, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by pk1209 View Post
This new deal will really suck for Platinum flyers.
But what about the 77% of FTers who will fly American less because of the EQD requirement per the survey on the "Reaction, Discussion: EQD" thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...2016-a-82.html

Won't that help the handful of us Plats still flying AA in 2017? (Yes, I am being sarcastic; but I doubt too many flyers will actually change behavior and most that do won't change much).
Old Jun 30, 16, 1:03 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA GLD, UA Silver, MR Titanium, Hilton Silver, Avis Preferred, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by pk1209 View Post
(They still have those crappy 16-seat "First Class" sections. For a flight that is 6 hours wheels-up westbound.)
My not very scientific observations is that on a majority of >500 miles flights, 16 FC seats can accommodate all paid FC/SWU, EXP and some PLTs. When you get to 12 FC (like the Airbus), you tend to get a few EXP in Coach. Naturally, this rolls down to PlatPro and Plats.

So, take that 16 FC anytime even if it is not very fancy. Of course, there are high demand flight times, but I am thinking across all of the e500 eligible routes.

Originally Posted by flyingchief View Post
Now that they are rolling out PLT Pro, I'm very happy and will stay loyal to AA. I just wish that I could qualify for it with this year's travel so that I could enjoy it sooner than Oct/Nov of next year.

This will certainly discourage me from looking for trips to schedule this year once I hit 50K EQM.
Yes, I agree this was a mistake and really is a problem for those who would have to really push to get to 100k in 2016, I am not so interested. It is possible they might do something to 'award' the status earlier in 2017 for those who would have otherwise been or are on track to get it based on 2017 bookings, but I think they just give themselves more flexibility to make those decisions without a promise.

Rasheed
Old Jun 30, 16, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, Admiral's Club
Rasheed, you pointed out a big pet peeve of mine. How AA will make secret offers to some travelers for status upgrades.

A good friend of mine who also travels frequently was emailed after she missed making EXP again with a note informing her that because she had flown ~88K miles that they were going to go ahead make her EXP again. That same year, I was sitting at ~92K miles the last week in December and decided not to make a mileage run. I received no such email or offer.

I'm guessing that this had to do with $ spent. She will frequently book last minute flights. I sometimes have flights booked 90+ days in advance for my work travel. Oh well. It's their game; they can set the rules however they want.
Old Oct 18, 16, 11:42 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt GP Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Plat, Avis Preferred
I understand that Platinum Pro won't begin until 2017... but I have a question regarding "qualification".

I'm currently sitting at 75 segments... and pushing to reach 90 segments by 12/31/16 is certainly doable. If I value Platinum Pro status (and I do), the effort to reach 90 segments this year is worth it... ONLY IF I'll qualify for Platinum Pro status when my account is evaluated early next year.

I called the AAdvantage Desk, one CSR said I would qualify. I was a little surprised of her certainty, so I called back to be sure... and a different CSR said I would NOT qualify... stating that flying to earn Platinum Pro doesn't start till 2017.

Does anybody know the answer? I don't want to make the effort to push for 90 segments if it doesn't earn me PlatPro status for 2017.
Old Oct 18, 16, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by g8rjeff View Post
I understand that Platinum Pro won't begin until 2017... but I have a question regarding "qualification".

I'm currently sitting at 75 segments... and pushing to reach 90 segments by 12/31/16 is certainly doable. If I value Platinum Pro status (and I do), the effort to reach 90 segments this year is worth it... ONLY IF I'll qualify for Platinum Pro status when my account is evaluated early next year.

I called the AAdvantage Desk, one CSR said I would qualify. I was a little surprised of her certainty, so I called back to be sure... and a different CSR said I would NOT qualify... stating that flying to earn Platinum Pro doesn't start till 2017.

Does anybody know the answer? I don't want to make the effort to push for 90 segments if it doesn't earn me PlatPro status for 2017.
The second CSR was right. Ability to qualify for PlatPro starts on 1/1/17.
Old Oct 18, 16, 12:59 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA GLD, UA Silver, MR Titanium, Hilton Silver, Avis Preferred, Hertz 5*
I doubt there will be anything official announced in 2016. My guess is AA will move 2016 Plats/EXPs who qualify for 2017 Plat at Plat Pro requirements will get those cards post 2/28/17. There is a chance they will do nothing, but because AA has no choice but to be system ready for Plat Pro level by the beginning of 2017, they will benefit to get the first PlatPro through the system.

Would I suggest making the push to 90 segments/75k EQM if you could? Yeah, sure. Especially since this is the last year without EQD considerations (which I think is a harder hurdler for domestic economy flyers).

Rasheed
Old Oct 19, 16, 3:42 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPLT
Originally Posted by akcae View Post
The second CSR was right. Ability to qualify for PlatPro starts on 1/1/17.
+1
from AA.com, FAQ page for program updates:
"If I reach 75,000 EQMs or 90 EQS during 2016, will I qualify for Platinum Pro in 2017?

No, qualification for Platinum Pro does not begin until January 1, 2017 and requires meeting the minimum EQD threshold in addition to the EQM or EQS threshold."

So, I wouldn't push for 90 this year hoping for Pro next year.
Old Oct 19, 16, 3:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

You can not qualify for Platinum Pro through earnings during 2016.
Old Nov 10, 16, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
No award redeposit waiver at this level?

I don't see it mentioned anywhere, so I guess not? Did anyone see differently?
Old Nov 10, 16, 4:48 pm

That appears so. No free award redeposit or free snack/drink so far indicated. I don't expect that to change.

Rasheed
Old Nov 14, 16, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
The wiki has a question mark or three next to free SDC - any updates on that front?
Old Nov 15, 16, 10:34 am

I do not expect any other EXP benefits to trickle down to Plat Pro.

CFC is only free on an elite basis for EXP.
Complimentary same-day standby appears to continue for all elites.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp

I believe AA would have already announced this if they planned to offer that benefit to this new tier.

Rasheed
Old Nov 16, 16, 11:17 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Platinum Pro seems comparable to UA Platinum, except it falls short in two regards:

1) Award change/redeposit fee waiver
2) Ability to attain this status in Million Miler program

The rest of the features asked about in recent posts (SDC, on-board snack) belong solely to EXP and UA 1K, and should probably stay that way.
Old Nov 17, 16, 4:13 pm

As I said earlier in this thread and in other threads, my confidence level that Plat Pro will be available for 2016 qualifiers has jumped dramatically.

Thanks to this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27492810-post110.html

Here is the relevant text from: https://elite.americanairlines.com/eliterenewal/faq.cfm
Will there be an option to boost to Platinum Pro?
Yes. This will be introduced January 2017.
The obvious question is if you are at 75k EQM or 90 EQS, stay at Platinum (don't take a boost or renewal offer), would you get it automatically or will AA ask for some cost? I believe AA will offer it with little to no cost. If you are below 75k EQM or 90 EQS, but within the noted thresholds, then this fee may or may not be attractive to gain the key benefits (the free e500 upgrades and priority and RDM accrual).

In any case, there will definitely be Plat Pros in early 2017 and at least for 2017, a method without EQD will be available. If you are close, I can't see anyone saying that it won't be worth it to try and get to 75k EQM or 90 EQS.

Obviously, I wish AA had made this announcement much earlier, but I hope it benefits some folks.

Rasheed

Search this Thread