Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
What are AAdvantage Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it?
NOTE: AAdvantage Platinum Pro elite status became available 1/1/2017.

Platinum Pro status requirements: in one calendar year, earn $9,000 EQD*, AND earn 75,000 EQ Miles or fly 90 EQ Segments.

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Status will last the status year earned and the following status year. (Platinum Pro status earned in 2017 will last through 31 Jan 2019.)

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two (2) free checked bags (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Free Same Day Flight Change (SDFC)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (EQM only)
  • Earn 9 Award Miles per "fare dollar" spent (fare & carrier imposed fees, not taxes, etc.)
  • Business class lounge access longhaul international and MEX** (see below)
  • oneworld Sapphire benefits (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for two (2) bags
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 72 hours
  • *Upgrades are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Platinum Pro members will not earn four 500-mile upgrades as you get unlimited domestic upgrades (UDU).

Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • N.B. Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld partner lounge access** Business Class and frequent flyer lounges

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**Access to Qantas Domestic Business Lounges excluded. AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Alaska Airlines Benefits ended 1/1/2018
Can only earn EQ on AA codeshares and AS International flights

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Updated 16 Jan 2018 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by azoomee
Just made platinum pro via flights (ugh) - yes 90 in under 6 months. Curious now if upgrade status is based on EQDs (have loads of EQDs) but not many EQMs (small legs).
As I understand the published rules, once they get to your status bucket the next tiebreaker is EQD's. So if one PP has 40,000 EQM's and $9002 EQD, and the second has 100,000 EQM's and $9001 EQD, the one with the higher EQD's wins.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by redtop43
As I understand the published rules, once they get to your status bucket the next tiebreaker is EQD's. So if one PP has 40,000 EQM's and $9002 EQD, and the second has 100,000 EQM's and $9001 EQD, the one with the higher EQD's wins.
Correct
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I have plat pro from the challenge and have been toying with the benefits. I have typically have had no status, but get admirals club, priority benefits, and free checked bag through credit card.

Thoughts:
1. I used the second free checked bag to Europe which was nice. I could have packed lighter though it was nice not to have to.
2. I used a SDFC which was kind of okay. I only had a couple options (should have had more) but was able to adjust to a preferred flight time 24 hours pre departure, a time which was more expensive when I booked (and since this was a work trip, I could only book the early cheap flight).
3. Getting into MCE seats for free is nice. But this is a plat benefit, and golds can do successfully for free usually at check in. And if I don't get MCE, I don't really care all that much (usually, I just drink water, I don't carry on rollerbags ever so don't care about dedicated bin space, and 6 inches of leg room isn't real meaningful for me -- I am 5'11", but my legs aren't all that long. I would never pay the IMO exhorbitant cash rates for MCE, so I can't place that much value in getting the benefit for free.
4. Cabin upgrades would be practically nonexistent for my routes (always through DFW). My regional jet is single class, and other than that I am mostly flying hub to hub type routes. For pleasure (majority of my flights), I am always travelling with two companions (wife and kid) too, so I could only upgrade myself anyways (or 1 companion with paid stickers), and I am not particularly interested in that -- I would rather sit in coach with my 7 year old and wife than sit in domestic F next to a stranger. For work, I did some checks this morning on my 'normal' routes for flights next week and they all only have 1 or at best 2 open F seats. My gut says I would be lucky to upgrade 1 in 20 times as plat pro (I doubt many exec plats clear these routes).
5. The point bonus is nice, it is like AA points actually accumulates meaningfully. But I know enough about the redemption side to really curb my enthusiasm for accumulating points (the more you have, the less value per point you get anyways because there just aren't that many good redemption options to keep burning points on).

With my hotel program, I feel like I am getting thousands of dollars of value from having an elite status, but with AA, I feel there is only some fringe value with Plat Pro that is 'nice' to have, but isn't worth caring that much about.
All told, Thanks AA for gifting me a temporary PlatPro status. 1 month in and I conclude that it just isn't worth any change in behavior.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I've been comped about 30-40% upgrades as a Plat Pro, which is nice. Like you, I don't assign much value to the free alcohol on the plane, so it's just the extra space that is nice. If I only got upgraded 1 in 20 times (aka 5%) that would suck. I'm not flying much hub to hub, and I often fly (for work) on weekends and random Tuesdays so that probably helps the upgrade rate.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I made Platinum Pro earlier this week. On Monday I'm doing a same day turn to Jacksonville: RDU-CLT-JAX-MIA-RDU. CLT-JAX and MIA-RDU cleared at the 72 hour window. MIA-RDU is showing a full F cabin with no other empty seats which means there's already at least one upgrade I got that I wouldn't have gotten at mere PLT...and it was free!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
Falling short of PlatPro-should I do it?

So, I am still new to all this elite level tips and tricks. First time AA Gold (and CX Silver). I didn't realize that if I don't make it by 31st December, I have to start from zero till yesterday. :-)

After crunching numbers, looks like I will be about 3500 EQM short of PlatPro. (Will have +10K EQD, so that is not a problem.) Now, I am trying to figure out if I should go for a short MR to make up for it.

I do have some flights planned for work, so i have limited time from now till december to make the MR. Also, I will be mostly in Asia, so that makes it hard to do MR as the EQM's I will earn will be low on the partners.

Considering a MR in US, the cost for tickets will basically offset with the mileage points I will get from the 20% extra (compared to plat), so I am having hard time to justify it. May be I will get an offer later by AA, but those offers seem pretty expensive too.

What do you people think? Should I go for it? Are there any benefits I am missing? How much would you pay if you were me if I have to buy plat pro (with 3500 EQM short)?

Thanks and regards,
-Nile
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
I wouldn’t and here is why.

I realize thst I may be in the minority here, but I’ve always thought the statuses at each airline reflect well on how much you travel. I’m a current CK but currently short of ExP qualification for this year (despite more than double the EXP EQD). If I didn’t have work trips booked that would get me to EXP then I wouldn’t worry about it. I figure that if I didn’t fly enough for EXP then I wouldn’t enjoy the benefits anyway. No way would I spend out of pocket to get there only to have to do same next year. My status is and has always been “organic”.

I realize that there are some cases that a MR may make sense within “my strategy”. If you expect your travel to be much greater next year than it may make sense. But if you expect it to remain the same, then just enjoy what you earned, otherwise you will be in the rat race year after year.

edit to add.... if you are a segment warrior, then it probably changes things.
Nile_US likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:27 pm

@MoDs, thanks for moving. I was looking for something similar. (Had found the exp thread already.)
@Head, Actually I might do enough travel next year to reach EXP.

This year, it has been a little bit of bad luck and a little of lack of knowledge. In the beginning, the work travel was only on economy and the cathay tickets were just better. Later I could travel for work on premium and then decided to switch to AA as I could maximize the benefit. But thought I will stick till I get silver so I can use the lounges as I had expected some long layovers. Anyway. I think I will hit EXP next year just for the planned work travel, but just barely. My point was, like you said, to maximize my earning next year.

What is a segment warrior?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Segment Warrior is someone who flies a lot of segments relative to their miles traveled; i.e. lots of short flights.

I wouldn't make the effort just for the extra 20% earnings. I'm going for Plat Pro because of the free upgrades which mean a lot to me, and I travel mostly on elite-lite flights.

If you're mostly traveling in Asia, many of the benefits won't help you.
Head and Nile_US like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by redtop43
Segment Warrior is someone who flies a lot of segments relative to their miles traveled; i.e. lots of short flights.
Like me - 18K EQD, 63k EQM, 84 EQS.

Average segment length in EQM - 750. I used that 500-mile minimum 34 times this year, or 40% of my segments so far.

I'm actually going to make Plat Pro this year on EQS but not EQM. I did a same-day 5 EQS segment run back in October to make sure I got there.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:38 pm

Got it! I won't be able to do that many segments. Most of my travel is going to be TPAC.

After reading replies (thanks!) and other posts, I have decided to not worry about PlatPro for this year. I will be easily Plat and I am going to bank my points and Cathay. I am already Sapphire so will get lounges as I need them. If I make CX Gold, that will be nice to get upgrades on CX flights. My US aa flights are usually not long and not too crowded, so upgrades and same day changes etc. is not that big of a deal. May be next year I will try to go for EXP. I like the added mileage bonus, but should look into redeeming options. CX has no bonus, specially for long haul, really.

Thanks again for the responses!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Here are my stats as PPro all year.

Flights flown = 95
Flights eligible for upgrade = 89 (six segments traveling with wife and son, couldn't request upgrade).
Flights Upgraded = 31

34.8% upgrade success rate.

Based out of Austin, many of my flights were AUS-DFW routes (21), I received only one upgrade on that route all year with 21 flights on those routes. My best upgrade routes were several trips between Dallas and Denver (and vice versa), DFW and MSP, LAX and SFO, LAX and SJC, IAH and DFW. DFW and SLC, DTW (not DFW) and CLT, LAX and SAN. I had nearly 100% success on Eagle flights out of LAX within the state of California.

As stated, AUS and DFW routes as well as AUS and PHX, AUS and CLT, DFW and SFO, DFW and LAS were basically 0%. On the AUS-DFW routes I was routinely in upgrade positions beyond 15 or 20 people.

Finally, majority of my upgrades cleared well in advance, I rarely got battlefield upgrades, maybe only once or so.

Granted, a lot has changed, but from 2003-2014 as EXP I pretty much got every upgrade on similar routes, maybe only 2-3 flights per year I'd miss an upgrade. I doubt as an EXP today, I'd have that, I still see swaths of Group 2 boarding on AUS and DFW, SFO and DFW, AUS and PHX routes. I attribute this to reasonably priced first class. Anyways, I thought I'd share my metrics.
MorganB and ralphs like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
And here are my stats:

11/19: RDU-CLT 321: No Upgrade
11/19: CLT-JAX 320: Upgrade
11/19: MIA-RDU 738: Upgrade
11/23: BWI-DFW 738: Upgrade
11/23: DFW-ELP 738: Upgrade
11/26: RDU-CLT 321: No Upgrade
11/26: CLT-ATL CR9: Up Upgrade
12/4: ATL-DCA E75: Upgrade
12/8: RDU-PHL 320: Upgrade
12/10: DCA-CLT 320: Upgrade
12/10: CLT-RDU 320: No Upgrade
12/13: ATL-CLT 319: Upgrade
12/13 CLT-TYS CR7: No Upgrade
12/18 ATL-CLT 319: Upgrade
12/18 CLT-RDU 320: Upgrade
12/19 RDU-DCA CR7: Upgrade

So 11/16 (68.75%). I was getting about 57-58% as a Platinum. The biggest difference I noted are on the short flights on smaller jets I take. For instance on the 12/13 ATL-RDU 319 I was the sole person of the 17 on the upgrade list to clear at the gate. There were a few examples like that where I'd be ahead of a big list of Platinums so I found it could be a deal breaker sometimes. Otherwise it's basically the same status as Plat.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Well, if anyone wants feedback of the value of plat pro (for someone who was a doubter)....

Flown on 7 segments so far this year (one was a CRJ 200), had a two segment trip cancelled (the day before I was set to go), and have four segments coming up on Tuesday.

DCA-CLT A320: no upgrade (#1 on the list)
CLT-GSO A319: upgrade
DCA-CLT A319: upgrade (and there were only 2 seats available when my upgrade window opened up)
CLT-SDF CR7: upgrade
SDF-CLT CR7: upgrade
CLT-DCA: E175 upgrade

Cancelled trip
DCA-CLT E175: upgrade
CLT-DCA A319: upgrade

And now for the jaw dropper....
DCA-PHL A319: upgrade
PHL-LAX A321: upgrade
LAX-DFW 789: upgrade!
DFW-DCA 738: upgrade

11 for 12.

The doge is pleased.
CMK10 likes this.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Jan 20, 2019 at 9:07 am
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I just did the PP double-whammy (SDFC and battlefield upgrade) this week:
1) Made a same day confirmed change for an earlier ORD-PHL
2) I then had the AC add me to the upgrade list where I shot right to the top for a J0 flight
3) I saw it go to J1 when I checked while waiting at the gate
4) I then saw myself drop to #2 and WIL, J was called up for his upgrade before boarding
5) A gate agent came and pulled me out of 13A after boarding was over and sent me to row 2.

That 19k EQD last year gets put to work at this level. As a Plat, I was never higher than mid-teens and have been as low as 20s on the upgrade list between PHL and ORD in either direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.