Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
What are AAdvantage Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it?
NOTE: AAdvantage Platinum Pro elite status became available 1/1/2017.

Platinum Pro status requirements: in one calendar year, earn $9,000 EQD*, AND earn 75,000 EQ Miles or fly 90 EQ Segments.

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Status will last the status year earned and the following status year. (Platinum Pro status earned in 2017 will last through 31 Jan 2019.)

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two (2) free checked bags (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Free Same Day Flight Change (SDFC)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (EQM only)
  • Earn 9 Award Miles per "fare dollar" spent (fare & carrier imposed fees, not taxes, etc.)
  • Business class lounge access longhaul international and MEX** (see below)
  • oneworld Sapphire benefits (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for two (2) bags
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 72 hours
  • *Upgrades are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Platinum Pro members will not earn four 500-mile upgrades as you get unlimited domestic upgrades (UDU).

Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • N.B. Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld partner lounge access** Business Class and frequent flyer lounges

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**Access to Qantas Domestic Business Lounges excluded. AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Alaska Airlines Benefits ended 1/1/2018
Can only earn EQ on AA codeshares and AS International flights

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Updated 16 Jan 2018 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Sometimes PP works out. Wife and I got upgraded at the gate MIA-SFO last week. Nice!
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:48 am

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Talking Just Made AA Platinum PRO | What Should I Know?

Just returned from Paris and found that I made AA PLT Pro .

I know that now I am automatically-in for domestic upgrade list. In fact, the iPhone app stopped showing the miles necessary for 500 miles upgrade (although the earned 500 mile upgrade stickers are still available and shown).

But what are the secret/undocumented/not-listed benefits?

My PLT Pro card in iPhone wallet shows a new phone number. This is probably not a special service desk but just cut-through-the-normal-line. Any thought?

Looks like I will make EXP this year!

Thanks,
Tintin

Last edited by Tintin; Nov 4, 2017 at 4:07 am
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Congratulations! Check the Wikipost for a listing of benefits.

Be sure if you have any pre-existing PNRs your new status is reflected in them.
Tintin likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Tintin
Just returned from Paris and found that I made AA PLT Pro .

I know that now I am automatically-in for domestic upgrade list. In fact, the iPhone app stopped showing the miles necessary for 500 miles upgrade (although the earned 500 mile upgrade stickers are still available and shown).

But what are the secret/undocumented/not-listed benefits?

My PLT Pro card in iPhone wallet shows a new phone number. This is probably not a special service desk but just cut-through-the-normal-line. Any thought?

Looks like I will make EXP this year!

Thanks,
Tintin
Yes - except for EP, the line will be rerouted to the same normal line.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
Be sure if you have any pre-existing PNRs your new status is reflected in them.
I assume this requires a call to reservations? I don't see my AAdvantage status showing in any PNR, only the AAdvantage number.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:50 pm

Is Platinum Pro worth it?

First time caller, long time listener here. Be nice

I'm requalified for platinum this year, but I'm about 10K EQMs short from Plat Pro, and I've already hit my EQD minimum for PP. Im based in NYC, and could fly 2 transcon flights in the next week or so, purely mileage runs, for about $600 total to get to where I need.

My question is, are the platinum pro benefits really worth it? I fly a lot regionally for work, but really love using my elite benefits for traveling internationally. It seems like the additional benefit at the Plat Pro level is only marginal...essentially a little bit more on earned miles, and auto upgrades?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Ongoing discussion here: What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Josh Appelbaum

I'm requalified for platinum this year, but I'm about 10K EQMs short from Plat Pro, and I've already hit my EQD minimum for PP. Im based in NYC, and could fly 2 transcon flights in the next week or so, purely mileage runs, for about $600 total to get to where I need.

My question is, are the platinum pro benefits really worth it? I fly a lot regionally for work, but really love using my elite benefits for traveling internationally. It seems like the additional benefit at the Plat Pro level is only marginal...essentially a little bit more on earned miles, and auto upgrades?
Welcome to Flyertalk. If you value upgrades, think about the value of jumping over all of the Platinums on the upgrade list.
airmarc likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:28 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by dickinson
Welcome to Flyertalk. If you value upgrades, think about the value of jumping over all of the Platinums on the upgrade list.
. . . and not having to use stickers for trips >500 miles.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: AA
Since making PP this year, I have been upgraded 100% of the time between VPS -CLT and CLT to PHF and on the return trip also. I have made standby when requested on these flights 100% of the time also. Many times I will be able to choose my own FC seat Tuesday night for a Friday afternoon flight out of PHF. I expect to hit EXP via EQD and EQS on Dec 31st on a vacation trip to and from VPS - DFW - SEA. An interesting story on that one. Originally it was an award booked flight with 3 paid seats for family members. I realized I was going to be 4 EQS short to reach EXP. I called AA and they were able to switch my award ticket to my wife and I was able to take her paid ticket so I would get the segments. Unfortunately, now I have 3 RL's that are all linked together in the system. It was worth it though to have EXP for 2018.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Josh Appelbaum

If you have the time and it'll only cost you $600 I'd go ahead and do the MR. I think the lack of paying for upgrades, the mileage bonus and the likely better shot at an upgrade next year (which I think will be more pronounced than it is this year) would be worth the time and $600.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Experiences As A Platinum Pro

Next year will be my first year as Platinum Pro with AA. I'm particularly excited about not having to use stickers anymore for upgrades. Since I fly out of MCI, I'm hoping to have a decent upgrade % as a PP. I know others have mentioned that there upgrade % has not been that great on high density routes. Overall, what has been your experience as a Plat Pro? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Just trying to taper my expectations for 2018.

MODERATORS: If this is better discussed somewhere else, please feel free to move.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by MCI777
Next year will be my first year as Platinum Pro with AA. I'm particularly excited about not having to use stickers anymore for upgrades. Since I fly out of MCI, I'm hoping to have a decent upgrade % as a PP. I know others have mentioned that there upgrade % has not been that great on high density routes. Overall, what has been your experience as a Plat Pro? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Just trying to taper my expectations for 2018.

MODERATORS: If this is better discussed somewhere else, please feel free to move.
My experience has been exactly the same as it was as a Platinum. Not a lot of upgrades. I never went through all of my 500 miles stickers as a Platinum so thats not an issue. I'm based at DCA so am flying off peak (leaving DC on Mondays, returning Thursday or Friday). I recently switched from DL to AA due to far more options on AA for direct flights. On DL I was upgraded as a Gold or Platinum fairly regularly and about 100% as Diamond. Unfortunately the same can't be said about AA. Either way, I prefer the additional options that AA offers and no longer expect to be upgraded as I did in years past. To me the only real benefit that status offers is the upgrades. I generally just travel with a carry on that fits under my seat so there's no incentive for me to board early. I do like being able to pick a seat though. This was another thing that shocked me when I moved to AA, the fact that unless you want a middle seat or at best sit way in the back, you have to pay a fee.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by pdac1975
I'm based at DCA so am flying off peak (leaving DC on Mondays, returning Thursday or Friday).
Standard consultant's schedule is a strange definition of "off peak".

Also with PP you should be able to reserve MCE seats at booking so a bit confused about the mention of paying for decent seats.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Exp
DFW-based, so YMMV. I was PlatPro for maybe 6 months from early in 2017 through late 2017. I was super excited initially to not have to use stickers. But the upgrade lists have gotten sufficiently long that my ability to use that privilege has been minimal. Never sniffed anything to other hubs (NYC, LAX, MIA, ORD, etc.). Consistently cleared 1-2 seats on leisure destinations (JAX, PNS, PDX, PHX, etc.). Even as a relatively recent EXP, it's a challenge to most places I go. Hopefully your experience will be better out of MCI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.