Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) on AA and partner airlines
Minimum Spend" requirement for each status tier began 1 Jan 2017

In addition to the required EQM or EQS (same as 2016) to earn status in 2017 and onward one must also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"Starting January 1, 2017, we’ll add Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to our earning requirements. Qualify in 1 of 2 ways:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)

EQDs will be awarded based on:
  • Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights
  • Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers, "Special Fares" such as some AA Vacations flights, Thank You Points purchased fares, etc. earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased

With the addition of EQDs, the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status has been eliminated.
NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. "select flights" included in AAVacations packages), and the chart for those changed on 11 Jan 2017. See here.

2019 Status qualification tiers and requirements: link
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

aa.com: aa.com is updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.

Another impact of EQD is on upgrade priority within status tiers instead of time of upgrade request (FYI only, not discussion here):

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

The way your upgrade request is prioritized changed in 2017. You’ll be listed according to the type of upgrade, by your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months. The date of upgrade request will no longer be used except to break ties not resolved by higher priority levels. Applies both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM and EQD as reflected on charts on aa.com.

FAQ

Q. How will AA EQD be calculated?

Yes: Base fare plus carrier imposed fees, e.g. YQ etc. (Status buyup fees will count.)

No: Taxes, government or airport imposed fees, e.g. PSC, APD, TSA, etc. and ancillary fees (see below)

Q. How will flights on other oneworld carriers, AS, and "Special Fares" qualify for EQD?

Partner earning tables are here and special fare table here on aa.com.

Q. Will checked bag fees, seat purchases, LFBU and 500-mile upgrades, buy miles, or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs? (AA FAQ)

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked (or overweight) baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships (or passes), Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Status buyup fees will count, however.)

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and base miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete segment marketed as AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

Links

Link to FT: JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com (including FAQ).

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by wendyg
Having just reread the BA fare rules, someone tell me if I've got this right. Let's say I find round-trip tickets LHR-PHL priced at £500 on AA *and* BA. As I read it, if we assume that, say, £200 of the fare is government taxes (just for simplicity), then with the £ at $1.25 AA you'd expect EQDs to come out at 375, BUT in the 2nd to lowest BA class they calculate EQDs as 10% of distance flown, which comes out to roughly 700 EQD (7000 miles flown).

That being the case, it would be advantageous for me to fly BA rather than AA. Is this really what they want?

wg
To take this example further, if the fare was in the lowest class (G,O,Q) you would get 5% of distance flown, which comes out to roughly 350 EQD (about the same as on AA). Currently (sale period) the lowest AA/BA base fare LHR-PHL in February (excluding YQ) is $36 in O and $86 in N. So trading up from O to N for $50 on BA would earn an extra 350 EQD.

So far as I know, the only way to upfare is by making a phone booking. Making a telephone booking with BA would cost £10 in UK, $25 in US. But in UK travel agents like Trailfinders do not charge a fee for BA itineraries originating in London. (Presumably there are similar deals in US?)
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Platimum 1MM, HH Diamond
Does $350 Payment for Coach to Business Class on International Flights count as EQD's

I have browsed the WIKI and tread and curious to know if the $350 payment (Plus 25000 miles) counts as EQD's when upgrading from Coach to Business on International flights. TIA
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Surbiton Flyer
I have browsed the WIKI and tread and curious to know if the $350 payment (Plus 25000 miles) counts as EQD's when upgrading from Coach to Business on International flights. TIA
I'm fairly certain it doesn't count toward EQD.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:01 pm

Anyone know how/if I can tell if a flight booked via Citi will be under special fares or regular mileage accrual?
800 EQD vs 1600 EQD

Edit: NVM figured it out.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Surbiton Flyer
Q. Will checked bag fees, seat purchases, 500-mile upgrades or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs? (AA FAQ)

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships, Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: WN CP; AMEX MR, US, DL
Must Return Leg Be Flown For EQD To Credit

I am looking at a very inexpensive RT ticket on AA. The return actually may not work for me, so I may take a one-way return on another airline.

If I by the RT ticket on AA and fly outbound, but I don't fly the return -- will I get the EQD for the full price of the ticket?

For that matter, if I miss a non-refundable flight altogether, what happens with EQD's
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kaisersrsic
I am looking at a very inexpensive RT ticket on AA. The return actually may not work for me, so I may take a one-way return on another airline.

If I by the RT ticket on AA and fly outbound, but I don't fly the return -- will I get the EQD for the full price of the ticket?

For that matter, if I miss a non-refundable flight altogether, what happens with EQD's
You will only earn EQDs ( and award miles and qualifying miles ) for the part flown
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:38 am

Does anyone know if you opt for an upgrade by doing miles+ $350 copay, does the $350 get counted for EQDs towards status?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Does anyone know if you opt for an upgrade by doing miles+ $350 copay, does the $350 get counted for EQDs towards status?
This has already been asked and answered.

On this very page, just 3 posts above your question.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
This has already been asked and answered.

On this very page, just 3 posts above your question.
Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
For the 2 BA sectors, it will obviously credit as per the BA earning table. For the last sector I would expect that this would count as a special fare and credit as diostance
The AA coded flight will credit as fare based. AA gets fare information when either 1)regardless of marketing carrier, flights are issued on its ticket stock, or 2)regardless of ticket stock when marketed as an AA flight.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The AA coded flight will credit as fare based. AA gets fare information when either 1)regardless of marketing carrier, flights are issued on its ticket stock, or 2)regardless of ticket stock when marketed as an AA flight.
Which leaves us with the problem that we have no idea what portion of the total fare + CIF will be apportioned to the AA segments.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:02 pm

Location: Near PHL, PA and GCM, CI and sometimes PLJ, Placencia. Belize
Programs: AA-EXP, DL-Gold, Bonvoy-Gold
No EQD for some fees

Originally Posted by apeortdz
I'm fairly certain it doesn't count toward EQD.
Correct.
AA has now confirmed to me in connection with fees earlier this month that charges like this (related to upgrades or specific seat choices) do NOT count toward EQDs.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PhillyFive
Correct.
AA has now confirmed to me in connection with fees earlier this month that charges like this (related to upgrades or specific seat choices) do NOT count toward EQDs.
As has been clearly stated in AA.com's FAQ on EQDs for a quite awhile now...
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
An off-topic question about compensation has been move to the correct place for that topic.

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.