Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) on AA and partner airlines
Minimum Spend" requirement for each status tier began 1 Jan 2017

In addition to the required EQM or EQS (same as 2016) to earn status in 2017 and onward one must also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"Starting January 1, 2017, we’ll add Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to our earning requirements. Qualify in 1 of 2 ways:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)

EQDs will be awarded based on:
  • Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights
  • Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers, "Special Fares" such as some AA Vacations flights, Thank You Points purchased fares, etc. earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased

With the addition of EQDs, the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status has been eliminated.
NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. "select flights" included in AAVacations packages), and the chart for those changed on 11 Jan 2017. See here.

2019 Status qualification tiers and requirements: link
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

aa.com: aa.com is updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.

Another impact of EQD is on upgrade priority within status tiers instead of time of upgrade request (FYI only, not discussion here):

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

The way your upgrade request is prioritized changed in 2017. You’ll be listed according to the type of upgrade, by your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months. The date of upgrade request will no longer be used except to break ties not resolved by higher priority levels. Applies both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM and EQD as reflected on charts on aa.com.

FAQ

Q. How will AA EQD be calculated?

Yes: Base fare plus carrier imposed fees, e.g. YQ etc. (Status buyup fees will count.)

No: Taxes, government or airport imposed fees, e.g. PSC, APD, TSA, etc. and ancillary fees (see below)

Q. How will flights on other oneworld carriers, AS, and "Special Fares" qualify for EQD?

Partner earning tables are here and special fare table here on aa.com.

Q. Will checked bag fees, seat purchases, LFBU and 500-mile upgrades, buy miles, or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs? (AA FAQ)

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked (or overweight) baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships (or passes), Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Status buyup fees will count, however.)

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and base miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete segment marketed as AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

Links

Link to FT: JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com (including FAQ).

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If booked on a BA flight number, you will earn as per distance
Indeed I did. Thanks very much!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
What does EQDs per mile flown 20% mean?

If you spend 400 dollars on Alaska through AA.com does that mean you get 20% more dollars? or just 20% of what you spend?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by macintoshd
What does EQDs per mile flown 20% mean?

If you spend 400 dollars on Alaska through AA.com does that mean you get 20% more dollars? or just 20% of what you spend?
if you book AA marketed fligbt operated by Alaska you will earn EQM and EQD as if you were flying AA. If you book on Alaska you earn nothing.
In general 20% would mean that they convert 20% of the flight distance to EQD. So if you flight is 1000 miles you would earn 200 EQDs regardless of how much you paid for that ticket.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I already booked 2 tickets. I'm flying First Class from PHX-LAS in May and PHX-ORD in June. So I will earned $3,000 EQD to become Gold Elite, am I correct? Also, I already went to Switzerland trip by last month. I flew on AA/BA. So I have $1,100 EQD.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
I already booked 2 tickets. I'm flying First Class from PHX-LAS in May and PHX-ORD in June. So I will earned $3,000 EQD to become Gold Elite, am I correct? Also, I already went to Switzerland by last month. I flew on AA/BA. So I have $1,100 EQD.
if you paid 3000 dollars before taxes and fees for those 2 tickets yeah you will meet gold EQD requirement.
N830MH likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:22 pm

EQD Waiver for co-branded Citibank Card?

Apologies in advance if this question is ridiculously basic, but I've been looking all over the web and can't seem to find an answer:

I saw how in late 2018/early 2019, AA slashed the EQD benefits on the Barclays Aviator cards, requiring monumental levels of credit card spending to earn EQDs. What about the Citibank co-branded AA cards? I see that the top-tier one (Executive World Elite) offers 10,000 EQMs for a minimum credit-card spend amount, but does it offer any EQDs, or an EQD waiver?

Or perhaps another way of asking it -- is there any other to earn AA EQDs other than purchasing flight tickets? I was considering switching over from Delta to American, but my Delta co-branded AMEX card gives me an EQD waiver for elite status; I'm hesitant to give that up.

Thank you!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by robb8888
I saw how in late 2018/early 2019, AA slashed the EQD benefits on the Barclays Aviator cards, requiring monumental levels of credit card spending to earn EQDs. What about the Citibank co-branded AA cards? I see that the top-tier one (Executive World Elite) offers 10,000 EQMs for a minimum credit-card spend amount, but does it offer any EQDs, or an EQD waiver?
No EQDs on any of the Citi cards.
Old May 5, 2019, 10:00 am

I've looked at a few threads here and I can't find a direct answer (most were code-shares or mileage earn questions).
I
If I book an itinerary through Iberia that is an IB flight (most likely discount economy by the price) will my AA elite status apply and, if so, I imagine I need to call Iberia to give them an AA number?

If the benefits do apply:
a. Can you still select preferred seating? Or is probably an AA Basic equivalent when you can't select seats or anything even with status?
b. Can you still upgrade to a MCE equivalent at check-in, if it exists?

Sorry for the big picture, the inline attachment doesn't seem to be working

Edit: I went to the Iberia page a second time through Google Flights and it went to a completely different flight selection format. The previous time I didn't have any ability to select fare class, only flights, this time I was able to see the price above is indeed their "Basic" offering, which I assume is a carbon copy of AA Basic. FinnAir shows N class on way there and O on the return.

On a side note, looking at this chart it seems I'd earning ~794 EQD's and (5653 mi * 0.05 and 5122 mi *0.10) and 7,950 EQM's? That seems very good, considering?

Last edited by Firebird2k6; May 5, 2019 at 10:30 am
Old May 5, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Firebird2k6
I've looked at a few threads here and I can't find a direct answer (most were code-shares or mileage earn questions).
I
If I book an itinerary through Iberia that is an IB flight (most likely discount economy by the price) will my AA elite status apply and, if so, I imagine I need to call Iberia to give them an AA number?

If the benefits do apply:
a. Can you still select preferred seating? Or is probably an AA Basic equivalent when you can't select seats or anything even with status?
b. Can you still upgrade to a MCE equivalent at check-in, if it exists?

Sorry for the big picture, the inline attachment doesn't seem to be working

Edit: I went to the Iberia page a second time through Google Flights and it went to a completely different flight selection format. The previous time I didn't have any ability to select fare class, only flights, this time I was able to see the price above is indeed their "Basic" offering, which I assume is a carbon copy of AA Basic. FinnAir shows N class on way there and O on the return.

On a side note, looking at this chart it seems I'd earning ~794 EQD's and (5653 mi * 0.05 and 5122 mi *0.10) and 7,950 EQM's? That seems very good, considering?
you can add your AAdvantage number when book on IB.com
after booking you can select any seat for free if you are sapphire or emerald
Old May 5, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by gateH15

you can add your AAdvantage number when book on IB.com
after booking you can select any seat for free if you are sapphire or emerald

Thanks. I assume it's after booking for applying the AAdvantage? I didn't see an option prior.

Also, ironically, if I bump the return flight to Iberia's "Optimal" (equiv to AA Regular Economy) the fare still remains an "O". So, there is no actual benefit to to paying the extra $50ish as you'd already be getting a bag included with elite tier.

Last edited by Firebird2k6; May 5, 2019 at 10:53 am
Old May 5, 2019, 10:46 am

Thanks. I assume it's after booking for applying the AAdvantage? I didn't see an option prior.
book as a guest in Iberia. There should be option during checkout. Just sign out of your Iberia account and try again. I don’t remember where exactly that is but I booked on IB before and was able to add AA number during booking, not after. I think you can select seats for free after you are ticketed
Old May 5, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by N830MH
I already booked 2 tickets. I'm flying First Class from PHX-LAS in May and PHX-ORD in June. So I will earned $3,000 EQD to become Gold Elite, am I correct? Also, I already went to Switzerland trip by last month. I flew on AA/BA. So I have $1,100 EQD.
Originally Posted by gateH15

if you paid 3000 dollars before taxes and fees for those 2 tickets yeah you will meet gold EQD requirement.
Note: this may be obvious, but in addition to the $3000EQD you also need to have 25,000 EQM to make Gold. The EQD alone doesn't do it.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by bse118
Note: this may be obvious, but in addition to the $3000EQD you also need to have 25,000 EQM to make Gold. The EQD alone doesn't do it.
I’d be shocked if 2 domestic round trips in F booked in advance would cost 3000 dollars.
Maybe OP mixed up EQDs and EQMs
N830MH likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:23 pm

One more question in regards to FinnAir:

AA earning chart for FinnAir:

B is Basic Economy?? It earns full base miles and 20% miles flown for EQDs?

Old May 5, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
One more question in regards to FinnAir:

B is Basic Economy?? It earns full base miles and 20% miles flown for EQDs?
It's the marketing carrier that matters.

If I am reading the image you posted correctly your MIA-PHL and CLT-MIA flights (the ones in B) are marketed under AA flights numbers. Not AY flight numbers.

Thus they will earn as "B" on the AA chart (not the AY chart)

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.