Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) on AA and partner airlines
Minimum Spend" requirement for each status tier began 1 Jan 2017

In addition to the required EQM or EQS (same as 2016) to earn status in 2017 and onward one must also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"Starting January 1, 2017, we’ll add Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to our earning requirements. Qualify in 1 of 2 ways:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)

EQDs will be awarded based on:
  • Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights
  • Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers, "Special Fares" such as some AA Vacations flights, Thank You Points purchased fares, etc. earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased

With the addition of EQDs, the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status has been eliminated.
NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. "select flights" included in AAVacations packages), and the chart for those changed on 11 Jan 2017. See here.

2019 Status qualification tiers and requirements: link
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

aa.com: aa.com is updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.

Another impact of EQD is on upgrade priority within status tiers instead of time of upgrade request (FYI only, not discussion here):

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

The way your upgrade request is prioritized changed in 2017. You’ll be listed according to the type of upgrade, by your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months. The date of upgrade request will no longer be used except to break ties not resolved by higher priority levels. Applies both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM and EQD as reflected on charts on aa.com.

FAQ

Q. How will AA EQD be calculated?

Yes: Base fare plus carrier imposed fees, e.g. YQ etc. (Status buyup fees will count.)

No: Taxes, government or airport imposed fees, e.g. PSC, APD, TSA, etc. and ancillary fees (see below)

Q. How will flights on other oneworld carriers, AS, and "Special Fares" qualify for EQD?

Partner earning tables are here and special fare table here on aa.com.

Q. Will checked bag fees, seat purchases, LFBU and 500-mile upgrades, buy miles, or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs? (AA FAQ)

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked (or overweight) baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships (or passes), Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Status buyup fees will count, however.)

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and base miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete segment marketed as AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

Links

Link to FT: JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com (including FAQ).

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Old May 12, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by A651346
Thank you. Itinerary booked through AA directly and not 3rd party. I now just threw another wrinkle to this Itinerary....I called AA to upgrade Flight #AA193 LAX to HKG leg ONLY. It cost 25k RDMs and $350 which i was okay with. The rep reissued a new ticket from that leg to a "C" booking class from the original "L" booking class.

Question: Would i still earn my EQMs for this leg on my old "L" booking class? The rep confidently said yes but wanted to ask the experts on this forum.

Flight # AA820 Phx to LAX - "L" booking class
Flight # AA193 LAX to HKG "L" booking class
Flight # AA 8900 HKG to BKK (operated by Cathay Pacific) original "L booking class then used 25k RDM & $350 to upgrade to "C" booking class

Returning:
Flight # AA 8412 (operated by Japan Airlines) "L" booking class
Flight # AA 170 - "L" booking class
Flight # AA 899 -"L" booking class

Thank you!
All flights above will earn EQM by actual distance (1.0 multiplier). EQD will be what you spent on this ticket, excluding taxes.

Just to nit pick: your note of the upgraded segment is incorrect. CX operated flight cannot be upgraded with AA miles. Your LAX - HKG segment is the one got upgraded. Very lucky of you to have C inventory right away.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:22 pm

I was just targeted (via email promo) to attain EXP until Jan 2020 if i can earn 35k EQM and 4K EQDs by September 7, 2018. I am VERY new to the AA EQD game. Would Really appreciate it if anyone knew some tips to help me get this done for the cheapest possible. I am starting at zero EDM and EQD. I am not looking to spend $4k in AA flights/codeshare. I literally just got back from a RTW flight with the family and a serious new Vacation/Business trip the next couple months are not in the cards, unfortunately. I assume this will require me to fly very very far on a discounted Biz class ticket on a partner airline after reading some of this thread ...but if anyone has any good ideas (or PM me pls for some of the loopholes) would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Side question: Does Barclays Aviator 3k EQDs for $25k spend hit immediately once you hit the $25k (within calendar year)? I would think this would be the best way to do this...

Last edited by SLINKYTRAVEL; May 15, 2018 at 6:49 pm
Old May 15, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by SLINKYTRAVEL
I was just targeted (via email promo) to attain EXP until Jan 2020 if i can earn 35k EQM and 4K EQDs by September 7, 2018. I am VERY new to the AA EQD game. Would Really appreciate it if anyone knew some tips to help me get this done for the cheapest possible. I am starting at zero EDM and EQD. I am not looking to spend $4k in AA flights/codeshare. I literally just got back from a RTW flight with the family and a serious new Vacation/Business trip the next couple months are not in the cards, unfortunately. I assume this will require me to fly very very far on a discounted Biz class ticket on a partner airline after reading some of this thread ...but if anyone has any good ideas (or PM me pls for some of the loopholes) would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Side question: Does Barclays Aviator 3k EQDs for $25k spend hit immediately once you hit the $25k (within calendar year)? I would think this would be the best way to do this...
The problem here is that maximizing EQM requires buying AA discount business fares (to get 2* EQM) whereas maximizing EQD often requires buying partner fares that earn by distance. Special Fares are the even better option (2*EQMs and distance-based EQDs) but it is hard (even impossible) to really guarantee getting one of these.

But unless you can find really good discounted business fares, then Premium Economy (on AA or OW airlines) are the way to go. So, you need to work out how many Premium Economy flights you would need (35000/1.5 = 24000 roughly) which would be two round trips of a 6000 mile journey, which would most likely get you your EQDs too. So if you are west coast, that is a trip to Frankfurt, Munich or Rome perhaps and if you are a east coast then a trip to Tokyo perhaps. But then it all depends where you can find cheap Premium Economy fares and availability.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:41 am

Please read the fine prints from the targeted promotion. In the past, similar fast track promotions only allow EQD earned from AA and its JV airlines, which means credit card earnings, other partners such as CX, do not count towards challenge EQD. Based on yesterday's posts I haven't seen anyone posted fine prints and T&C, so I am not certain about the specific requirements for the challenge this wave.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:59 am

​​​​thanks for the heads up! I don’t see anywhere in the fine print I cannot use non-flying EQDs...I assume using Aviator Red (to get 3k EQDs) then I am left with 1k EQD and 35k EQMs which is not Bad at ALL. One or two discounted, long haul flights I assume...or several transcons? Anyway to get best multiplier on EQMs? Terms and conditionsExpand

Elite status offer terms and conditions

After you reach the required thresholds, your elite status membership benefits will be immediately extended through January 31, 2020, and you’ll receive new membership credentials within 4 to 6 weeks. Qualification is based on EQMs and EQDs earned on eligible, purchased, published fare tickets flown between the date you register and September 7, 2018. Qualifying, eligible flights must be operated by American Airlines or marketed by American Airlines, American Eagle®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, or Japan Airlines. Travel completed prior to registration will not count toward this promotion. You must requalify for AAdvantage elite status membership annually.

Elite qualification

For all inquiries about American Airlines or the AAdvantage program, contact us.

Contact American

American Airlines reserves the right to change the AAdvantage program and its terms and conditions at any time without notice, and to end the AAdvantage program with six months' notice. Any such changes may affect your ability to use the awards or mileage credits that you have accumulated. Unless specified, AAdvantage miles earned through this promotion/offer do not count towards elite-status qualification or AAdvantage Million Miler℠ status. American Airlines is not responsible for products or services offered by other participating companies. For complete details about the AAdvantage program, visit aa.com/AAdvantage.

A portion of all travel booked on American Airlines may be American Eagle® service, operated by Compass Airlines, LLC, Envoy Air Inc., ExpressJet Airlines, Inc., Republic Airline Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., Mesa Airlines, Inc., PSA Airlines, Inc., Piedmont Airlines, Inc., or Trans States Airlines, LLC.

American Airlines, American Eagle, AAdvantage, AAdvantage Million Miler and the Flight Symbol logo are marks of American Airlines, Inc.

oneworld® is a mark of the oneworld® Alliance, LLC.

©2018 American Airlines, Inc. All rights

*Eligible airlines include American Airlines, American Eagle®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines, as well as eligible codeshare flights.

**Some elite status benefits are not offered on Basic Economy fare tickets.

Visit aa.com/elitebenefits for details.
Old May 16, 2018, 7:05 am

​​​​thanks for the heads up! I don’t see anywhere in the fine print I cannot use non-flying EQDs...I assume using Aviator Red (to get 3k EQDs) then I am left with 1k EQD and 35k EQMs which is not Bad at ALL. One or two discounted, long haul flights I assume...or several transcons? Anyway to get best multiplier on EQMs? Terms and conditionsExpand

This is the same terms as the previous offers, and I don't believe credit card spendings count.

"Qualification is based on EQMs and EQDs earned on eligible, purchased, published fare tickets flown between the date you register and September 7, 2018. Qualifying, eligible flights must be operated by American Airlines or marketed by American Airlines, American Eagle®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, or Japan Airlines."

Last edited by andersonCooper; May 16, 2018 at 7:18 am Reason: Deleted the long quote
Old May 17, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I have a similar offer for Platinum that needs 12,500 EQM and $2,000 EQD by 9/7. I have a post already on the mileage run thread, but if there are tips that can help me with my own MR search in this thread with regard to maximizing both, I'd appreciate it. I'm honestly a bit lost on the calculations and the timing is poor for me financially, but it will pay dividends next year for us - so the cheapest/fastest way to earn would be the most ideal.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:55 pm

As I think has already been said, the cheapest and fastest way to achieve this will almost certainly be partner Premium Economy fares which earn at 1.5 EQM and roughly 20% miles as EQDs.

The goal is to find the cheapest per mile PE fare for journeys that are both useful but that also minimize the number of trips. For 12500 EQMs you need a journey of 4200 miles (and PE the whole way) to earn 12600 EQMs on one round trip and around 1600 EQDs.

Winter is a much better time to find good fares. At this time of year you may find that a 4200 mile Premium Economy journey on AA at a fare of $2400 or so will get you to your goal faster.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
I've tried to see if this has come up, but I can't see that it specifically fits.

If I have QF or QR ticketed DONEx, whicfh includes an AA marketed flight number, does AA have fare information to credit it via the fare method, or is it a special fare/fare information unavailable fare which will credit for EQM/RDM/EQD via the special fare/distance method? If it credits by fare method, how do they calculate the fare applicable to a segment of a DONEx RTW fare?

I was trying to look for examples, of this happening, but I can't seem to find this specific situation described.

Thank you for your help.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by beardoc
If I have QF or QR ticketed DONEx, whicfh includes an AA marketed flight number, does AA have fare information to credit it via the fare method, or is it a special fare/fare information unavailable fare which will credit for EQM/RDM/EQD via the special fare/distance method? If it credits by fare method, how do they calculate the fare applicable to a segment of a DONEx RTW fare?
Who tickets it doesn't matter - what matters is the flight number and the route by which you purchase it (potentially).

In general I think it is clear that AA (since they earn revenue from your AA-marketed flight) do know what the fare component is for that segment and you should not expect something different than fare-based earning. Special fares and Fare Unavailable do happen but I do not think they can be expected (except AAvacations.com fares with an asterisk perhaps).

If you're getting a really cheap fare then the best strategy would be to avoid the AA flight number.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
does the email say it has to be on AA coded flight?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Buying a flight to HK on AA metal in PE and upgrading with miles to business. What should I book with to get distance based EQD?

Chase portal still work?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by kar don
Buying a flight to HK on AA metal in PE and upgrading with miles to business. What should I book with to get distance based EQD?

Chase portal still work?
I'm not at all sure you can guarantee it, but it certainly brings you that chance.

aavacation fares with an asterisk would seem to be the safer bet - as you can more legitimately call and ask for distance-based EQDs then.
kar don likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kar don
Chase portal still work?
I think if you spend any time researching this on FT, you will find the answer is, at best, inconclusive and inconsistent. It has not been consistent.

You could get lucky, but you should also be prepared for and accepting of disappointment if you go the Chase portal route.

Regards
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:41 pm

Upgrade cash fare w/ miles - always distance-based earn?

I recently flew LAX-PHL, purchased the R/T on AA.com, "V" bucket fare each way. i then upgraded the return (but not the outbound) using miles + $75 co-pay.
The outbound awarded EQD's/miles based on fare, but the return awarded based on distance. How often does upgrading w/ miles trigger the distance-based earn? Always, sometimes, or rarely?
If "always", the extra earning really offsets the cost of the upgrade on longer flights!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.