Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) on AA and partner airlines
Minimum Spend" requirement for each status tier began 1 Jan 2017

In addition to the required EQM or EQS (same as 2016) to earn status in 2017 and onward one must also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"Starting January 1, 2017, we’ll add Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to our earning requirements. Qualify in 1 of 2 ways:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)

EQDs will be awarded based on:
  • Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights
  • Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers, "Special Fares" such as some AA Vacations flights, Thank You Points purchased fares, etc. earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased

With the addition of EQDs, the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status has been eliminated.
NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. "select flights" included in AAVacations packages), and the chart for those changed on 11 Jan 2017. See here.

2019 Status qualification tiers and requirements: link
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

aa.com: aa.com is updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.

Another impact of EQD is on upgrade priority within status tiers instead of time of upgrade request (FYI only, not discussion here):

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

The way your upgrade request is prioritized changed in 2017. You’ll be listed according to the type of upgrade, by your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months. The date of upgrade request will no longer be used except to break ties not resolved by higher priority levels. Applies both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM and EQD as reflected on charts on aa.com.

FAQ

Q. How will AA EQD be calculated?

Yes: Base fare plus carrier imposed fees, e.g. YQ etc. (Status buyup fees will count.)

No: Taxes, government or airport imposed fees, e.g. PSC, APD, TSA, etc. and ancillary fees (see below)

Q. How will flights on other oneworld carriers, AS, and "Special Fares" qualify for EQD?

Partner earning tables are here and special fare table here on aa.com.

Q. Will checked bag fees, seat purchases, LFBU and 500-mile upgrades, buy miles, or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs? (AA FAQ)

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked (or overweight) baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships (or passes), Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Status buyup fees will count, however.)

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and base miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete segment marketed as AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

Links

Link to FT: JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com (including FAQ).

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Old May 14, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by brp
What I am sure about is that all things that are explicitly listed on the Special Fares page - and this would include things like AA Vacations packages, package purchases from Expedia that include anything in addition to the airfare or any of the other card-card-points-based purchases for packages- should be posting by that table and are correctable. I've done this only with AA Vacations packages, but the others should be the same.
AAVacations is explicitly mentioned on the special fares tables and all your experiences have been with AAVacations (and mine too). I think one determining factor is what type of airfare is obtained from AA, no matter whether it's a flight only or a package. If Expedia or any other provider offers a vacation package at a discount, but behind the scene they are getting the flight at full price and the hotel at a discount, there's a possibility that AA will see this as a normal non-bulk, non-tour, non-consolidator flight purchase. In that case, I would expect the flight to post according to the $-based table and I don't see why they would change it.

I don't think it's safe to say all packages from all companies should post by the special fares tables and are correctable if they don't. I'd love to hear examples from people who have made these types of purchases from these companies (other than AAVaacations).
Old May 14, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by brp
I was not completely clear, and possibly incorrect in the case of non-package purchases (the danger of assumptions ).

What I am sure about is that all things that are explicitly listed on the Special Fares page - and this would include things like AA Vacations packages, package purchases from Expedia that include anything in addition to the airfare or any of the other card-card-points-based purchases for packages- should be posting by that table and are correctable. I've done this only with AA Vacations packages, but the others should be the same.

The piece from uclachef that I quoted was prefaced with packages and those should work in all cases based on the wording on the Special Fares page.

Now, in reference t airline-only purchases using those various points methods, I thought that these were also considered special fares since they are not paid with cash, so there is no cash fare. But I can't say that I've seen that definitively written, so can't be sure of what is "correct" and "incorrect."

Inasmuch as I could always find some package that priced less than the airfare alone (and often included things I actually wanted), I rarely purchase flight alone anymore, so I can always get it to post by Special Fare, even if I have to call.

Cheers.
Drat. You had our hopes up for a bit. There have been a number of reports from people using TYPs and getting fare-based.

Originally Posted by uclachef
AAVacations is explicitly mentioned on the special fares tables and all your experiences have been with AAVacations (and mine too). I think one determining factor is what type of airfare is obtained from AA, no matter whether it's a flight only or a package. If Expedia or any other provider offers a vacation package at a discount, but behind the scene they are getting the flight at full price and the hotel at a discount, there's a possibility that AA will see this as a normal non-bulk, non-tour, non-consolidator flight purchase. In that case, I would expect the flight to post according to the $-based table and I don't see why they would change it.

I don't think it's safe to say all packages from all companies should post by the special fares tables and are correctable if they don't. I'd love to hear examples from people who have made these types of purchases from these companies (other than AAVaacations).
Hearing from such would be great. It'll probably take a while to have enough examples for any sort of tentative conclusion, though.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Drat. You had our hopes up for a bit. There have been a number of reports from people using TYPs and getting fare-based.

Hearing from such would be great. It'll probably take a while to have enough examples for any sort of tentative conclusion, though.
I recently booked a flight with TYP plus dollars, which is showing up as rate based fare. I booked a 15 segment run which I will credit to BA, so I don’t really care. I had to call many times to find an agent that was able to book my ticket. I was told that I had to use a Citi card to pay. I believe this is why it is showing up as rate based.
If I wanted it to credit as a special fare, I would not use a Citi card. I don’t think the travel agency would know. I would also try to add at least one codeshare. Some agents will tell you that they can’t do codeshare flights, but some don’t care.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:59 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

So here is the blurbage above the Special Fares table in its entirety

Originally Posted by AA Special Fares Blurbage

Bulk fares
Cruise fares
Consolidator fares
Discounted or inclusive tour packages
Vacation packages, including American Airlines Vacations® (AAV) packages
Other tickets where the fare isn't disclosed, excluding bookings made through priceline.com or hotwire.com where the carrier isn't disclosed before buying
Vacation packages, including American Airlines Vacations® (AAV)

For this I'm hard-pressed to come up with any interpretation other than all vacation packages, regardless of source. There is no qualifier on this in a reductive sense, only the (superfluous, but informative) mention that AA Vacations packages are also included. Since "Vacation packages" are covered, I don't see how they could deny a vacation package from Expedia, Travelocity, or Joe's Vacation Package Company. Seems unambiguous to me.

Things like flight only using TYP, or similar- more nebulous. One could interpret "Other tickets where the fare isn't disclosed, excluding bookings made through priceline.com or hotwire.com where the carrier isn't disclosed before buying" as covering this since the fare is typically disclosed in the credit card currency and not (explicitly) in dollars. Definitely more nebulous, but I would contend that it would be worth contesting based on this language and seeing what happened.

Cheers.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by sbgmiles
I recently booked a flight with TYP plus dollars, which is showing up as rate based fare. I booked a 15 segment run which I will credit to BA, so I don’t really care. I had to call many times to find an agent that was able to book my ticket. I was told that I had to use a Citi card to pay. I believe this is why it is showing up as rate based.
If I wanted it to credit as a special fare, I would not use a Citi card. I don’t think the travel agency would know. I would also try to add at least one codeshare. Some agents will tell you that they can’t do codeshare flights, but some don’t care.
We know paying with TYPs sometimes gets you Special Fares, sometimes not; it's not clear whether paying with a mix of TYPs and $ has any effect on that. And I really doubt that your choice of which card to use when buying through a Travel Agent makes any difference.

But the question brp raised, if I understood correctly, was a different one: What happens when you buy a "vacation package" from someone other than AAVacations?
Old May 14, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by brp
So here is the blurbage above the Special Fares table in its entirety

Vacation packages, including American Airlines Vacations® (AAV)

For this I'm hard-pressed to come up with any interpretation other than all vacation packages, regardless of source. There is no qualifier on this in a reductive sense, only the (superfluous, but informative) mention that AA Vacations packages are also included. Since "Vacation packages" are covered, I don't see how they could deny a vacation package from Expedia, Travelocity, or Joe's Vacation Package Company. Seems unambiguous to me.
I agree. But it may still take a while to get more than a report or two, to confirm.

Originally Posted by brp
Things like flight only using TYP, or similar- more nebulous. One could interpret "Other tickets where the fare isn't disclosed, excluding bookings made through priceline.com or hotwire.com where the carrier isn't disclosed before buying" as covering this since the fare is typically disclosed in the credit card currency and not (explicitly) in dollars. Definitely more nebulous, but I would contend that it would be worth contesting based on this language and seeing what happened.

Cheers.
The problem is, we don't know what Citi does when you buy with TYPs. One theory I've seen here is that Citi buys tickets in bulk -- which of course can't cover everything a customer might want to fly -- so one of two things happen:

- You get a bulk ticket, and then Special Fares apply
- Citi has to buy the ticket from AA , and then it's fare-based

If the latter happens, I really don't see that you have a viable argument. AA knew the fare, and proceeded accordingly.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:52 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree. But it may still take a while to get more than a report or two, to confirm.
Again, my viewpoint is that it doesn't matter. Based on AA's wording, it should post by distance, otherwise it's just wrong. Then, no matter how it posts, it should be fixable. More relevant, I think, than stories about how it first posts are any stories where it was not fixed (and the ostensible justification) after calling.

I just don't think that reports of how things initially post will be informative since we already know that errors happen and are fixable.

...so one of two things happen:

- You get a bulk ticket, and then Special Fares apply
- Citi has to buy the ticket from AA , and then it's fare-based

If the latter happens, I really don't see that you have a viable argument. AA knew the fare, and proceeded accordingly.
The argument (albeit more tenuous, I agree) would be using their own language about "fare isn't disclosed" since, no matter what Citi may do after-the-fact, the fare is not disclosed (other than in a currency like TYP) at the time of purchase.

But, as with all things nebulous, it will come down to the agent(s) and how eloquently one can plead their case.

Cheers.
Old May 14, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA GLD
We know paying with TYPs sometimes gets you Special Fares, sometimes not; it's not clear whether paying with a mix of TYPs and $ has any effect on that. And I really doubt that your choice of which card to use when buying through a Travel Agent makes any difference.

But the question brp raised, if I understood correctly, was a different one: What happens when you buy a "vacation package" from someone other than AAVacations?
As mentioned upthread, I booked flight + hotel from Expedia and my flights posted using Special Fare at probably a rate of 2+ EQD/$.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by brp
...The argument (albeit more tenuous, I agree) would be using their own language about "fare isn't disclosed" since, no matter what Citi may do after-the-fact, the fare is not disclosed (other than in a currency like TYP) at the time of purchase.

Cheers.
But that isn't the case - Citi TYPs are 1.6 cents towards an air fare and you can pay with all TYPs or with a combination of TYPs and real $$s – the air fare is fully disclosed and known before purchase.

My hunch is that it actually depends whether the ticket actually comes from American - but you only get the 1.6 cents value when getting an 001 ticket. Which means you can pay more TYPs and get Special Fares, or pay significantly fewer TYPs and get fare-based accrual.

But I could be quite wrong - anyone out there had Special Fares when buying a 1.6 cent per TYP fare?
Old May 14, 2017, 10:02 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ossipago
As mentioned upthread, I booked flight + hotel from Expedia and my flights posted using Special Fare at probably a rate of 2+ EQD/$.
Impressive ratio. I've been able to do about 1.2 EQD/$, but nowhere near 2.

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
But that isn't the case - Citi TYPs are 1.6 cents towards an air fare and you can pay with all TYPs or with a combination of TYPs and real $$s – the air fare is fully disclosed and known before purchase.
Thanks for the info. I've never used TYP, so I wasn't aware that the cash fare was disclosed. This would make the argument considerably more tenuous

Cheers.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Impressive ratio. I've been able to do about 1.2 EQD/$, but nowhere near 2.
Originally Posted by ossipago
My three AAVacations trips so far this year have been 1.6, 1.7 and 1.8 EQD/$. The $ amount included my hotels, too. All were economy from LAX to Asia. There are definitely good deals out there.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:37 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My three AAVacations trips so far this year have been 1.6, 1.7 and 1.8 EQD/$. The $ amount included my hotels, too. All were economy from LAX to Asia. There are definitely good deals out there.
Actually, I do have a 1.42 on SJC...-...MAD, but I think that's my best. The rest are domestic and that seems harder.

Cheers.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: AA GLD
Mine was WAS-NRT, and the 2x figure didn't include hotel costs. With them, for both tickets, we are at around 1.3x (that's for six nights in Tokyo).
Old May 15, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by brp
Again, my viewpoint is that it doesn't matter. Based on AA's wording, it should post by distance, otherwise it's just wrong. Then, no matter how it posts, it should be fixable. More relevant, I think, than stories about how it first posts are any stories where it was not fixed (and the ostensible justification) after calling.

I just don't think that reports of how things initially post will be informative since we already know that errors happen and are fixable.

The argument (albeit more tenuous, I agree) would be using their own language about "fare isn't disclosed" since, no matter what Citi may do after-the-fact, the fare is not disclosed (other than in a currency like TYP) at the time of purchase.

But, as with all things nebulous, it will come down to the agent(s) and how eloquently one can plead their case.

Cheers.
My point is that in the 2nd case the fare is disclosed - by Chase. And that's why AA knows the fare and computes EQD accordingly, as we have seen happen.
Old May 16, 2017, 1:30 pm

Any issues not using the hotel

I'm looking to book a flight to HKG, I'm interested in using AA Vacations and adding on a hostel that I have no intention of using. The extra $10 it will cost me above the flight is worth the chance to see, as others have stated, that it will post as a special fare. Since I don't plan on checking into the hostel (the room option actually gives me only one choice, female dormitory, and i'm male), do you all cancel the reservation at the hostel later or just no show and don't worry about it? I don't want this to affect my flight. I also plan on using SWU's, and some report it posting as special fares and others say it changes it. And is AA Vacations the best place to purchase? I have chase, AA Vaca and I also have my company travel agency, so didn't know what would be better. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.