Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Should I even bother trying to get Lifetime Plat on AA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I even bother trying to get Lifetime Plat on AA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Platinum for Life = Downgrade

Seems to me that my "Platinum for Life" status has just taken a major DOWNGRADE.

Since they changed the up grade window for Platinum, and Platinum used to be the 2nd highest Elite level... and those two 'perks' are now changed... (and I have not considerd what other looses there are in this 'new' arrangement).... looks like all of us "Platinum for Lifers" are taking it on the chin. Thanks AA.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA Flyer
Seems to me that my "Platinum for Life" status has just taken a major DOWNGRADE.

Since they changed the up grade window for Platinum, and Platinum used to be the 2nd highest Elite level... and those two 'perks' are now changed... (and I have not considerd what other looses there are in this 'new' arrangement).... looks like all of us "Platinum for Lifers" are taking it on the chin. Thanks AA.
I'm confused. Why does this concern you if you are:
AA Flyer

Programs: AA EXP
If it's because low EQD will knock you out of EXP down to GLD, other than for your lifetime PLT status, consider that may happen to a lot of people. Ie, since liftetime PLT will not require any EQD, but annual PLT and PRO and EXP will, people who don't spend a lot will no longer be competing with lifetime PLTs the way they are today. And people who spend a zillion on a few flights but never fly more than about 40,000 a year and thus never got above GLD before won't get any higher from than zillion spend now.

So far many people who don't have lifetime status, getting annual status may become much harder, but for those people who have lifetime status, their status won't be affected by things like EQD.

So while "if all else were equal" your analysis might work, i doubt all will remain equal.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Maybe 2MM will translate into the new Platinum Pro?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nologic
Not the slightest, faintest, slimmest chance of that.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nologic
sure, and pigs will start flying
intersting that AA has said nothing on how the LTPLT will be considered in their new "better for us than the passengers policy"
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fotographer
intersting that AA has said nothing on how the LTPLT will be considered in their new "better for us than the passengers policy"
What questions in that context do you have which we don't already know the answer(s) to?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
As an EXP expecting to retire in January 2017 and to drop back to LTP after January 2018, there will still be some useful LTP benefits:
- OneWorld Sapphire (lounge access)
- first/business check-in
- slightly reduced price of Admirals Club renewals, although I may drop out regardless
- and if you're in Y, somewhat better seat selection, 2 free checked bags, and pre-board

As for auto-upgrades from Y, the very low probability of those going forward doesn't bother me because I will be traveling mostly on award mileage anyway.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: ex-ExPlat, AA Lifetime Platinum
as LTP do you still receive reduced mileage requirement when booking a hotel? is there a difference in the number of miles required as an EXP vs. PLT/LTP?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
Another vote for being a "no-brainer" over here. Who knows what other changes may happen to UA and/or AA rpograms in the future. With just 48k miles to go, that's a lifetime benefit that may pay-off with just a few uses. Plus, at the very least, you've got the pride of being LT mid-tier status on two of the three domestic airlines that are left (ha!).

Similar sentiment as others on the board here, I was planning to commit the next decade of business travel making the effort to secure LTP from my current 1.37 million. It would be a hard trudge, but manageable. Now with the program changes, I have little incentive to go out of my way, especially being LGA/JFK based and Delta having become such a better airline. I used to make the argument that the Skypesos was my reason for staying away from Delta, but now with AA pesos becoming the norm, where's the incentive to chase LTP status? For those who are far off, it's simply not there.

As so many have said, it was good while it lasted...
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: LH HON
I'd go for it. Given that you'll enjoy the luxury of holding both Star Gold and OWS at the same time until the end of the respective programs, the upside still holds a major value in my opinion. You're 2 out of 3 in terms of global alliance status that grants you business class lounges and additional baggage when traveling in coach internationally. That's technically the best "free-agent" position you could have.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by schriste

KEY POINT.. I Live in NJ. EWR about 35 min away, traffic rarely an issue. JFK 1:15 away, but traffic can almost always be an issue. So, operationally UA out of EWR is a clear winner. For my wife this is a massive plus for UA. If all other things were equal I would probably fly only UA unless going to ORD, DFW, or MIA. In the past EXP status, upgrades and systemwides were enough to drag me over to JFK. None of this is a practical reality in my future. If I lived in DFW, or many other airports, it would be a no brainer to get LT AA Plat. I do not, EWR is far better for me than JFK.
Agree with the prevailing thoughts, go for it while you can if you have some upcoming trips that will put you over the line.

You and I are geographically close. I am 45min from EWR and 1:20 from JFK. Also, 1:20 from PHL and you should consider driving there as a viable AA option. There are a lot more flights on AA to choose from and it is a better option than EWR as far as the airport and facilities. Also, parking is cheaper even at airport lot, so another plus. I have been doing a lot of flying out of PHL since I abandoned UA at the beginning of last year.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Go for it and have something to fall back on.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:47 am

Personally, I would only make a medium amount of effort to do this. Take an EWR->DFW->XXX routing instead of an EWR->XXX nonstop? Sure, no big deal. Similarly, do EWR-LHR->YYY on BA instead of the nonstop on United? Fine. Maybe even do a mileage run or two when there's a good fare out of EWR.

But drive to JFK repeatedly so you can get into a lounge or sit in a nicer airplane seat sometimes? Maybe it's just because I'm not from NJ an hate cars, but the idea of repeatedly driving across either Staten Island or Manhattan (and having to budget in a ton of extra time because of traffic variance) seems crazy to me. If that were the choice I'd choose EWR every time, and not regret it a bit.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Go for it and have something to fall back on.
Absolutely.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
The other thing to mention is that on its surface Plat/2MM may not seem "special" but as the elite ranks inevitably thin out through revenue requirements, which will likely lead some pax to B6/WN/AS, it will also make many 25k-50k fliers more likely to be agnostic between AA/DL/UA. As it is now, a student traveling from Southern California to a school in BOS/NY/PHL/DCA can obtain Gold status simply going home on the breaks. Pax like these and the erosion of MRing low value EPs will make 2MM/Plat and a lesser degree 1MM/Gold status more valuable overtime.

But then again, if AA starts dangling aggressive spend based challenges, comped status and other offers who knows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.