Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Speculation about upcoming changes tba 6 Jun 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Speculation about upcoming changes tba 6 Jun 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:36 am

Waiting too see what happens to million miler program......
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I have a friend who took a buy-up to Norwegian's Premium Economy for OAK-ARN when it first started. It's surprisingly similar to 1990s J class, at a lot lower price.

The fare classes affected by this status banhammer and Basic Economy will determine what happens for me. If it's just O/Q, then it means buying up to A now and then on vacation fares. If it also includes G/S/N, that's almost all of my work travel, I have very few fares in W or L.

If I wanted to take a true "stars and scrubs" approach to Advantage, then only S and higher would be eligible for EQM or MCE, and only V and higher would be eligible for complementary or sticker upgrades to F, and then only at T-24. At that point, there's really no reason to have an elite program.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by captaink
8, 9, and 10 am CST have all passed. I'm keeping my eye on email and AA.com on the hour.
my guess would be that this thread will have the news 2 nanoseconds after the first email gets received.
Starting to think the news is that AA has outsourced AAdvantage to Sixt. Can't think of anything else that would engender such doom and gloom from JonNYC
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is AA really getting better? In terms of service? Operations?

I thought that their merger was still a bit of a mess, although certainly not as big of a mess as UA/CO.

DL has been taking this tack, but at least DL has good operations and generally good service with happy employees.

Yeah, my take is that they're not really getting better, they're just catching up. The onboard (hard) product is marginally improved, at least with respect to the 772s/77Ws. I've had many "good" flights on AA, both domestic and international, but they are good in the sense that good is the absence of significant problem -- there's absolutely nothing especially memorable.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Anegada
I've had many "good" flights on AA, both domestic and international, but they are good in the sense that good is the absence of significant problem -- there's absolutely nothing especially memorable.
^ My thoughts exactly. It's sad when a good flight simply means you didn't get a crap crew with an attitude who clearly doesn't want to be there. But I get it, smiling is hard.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by captaink

Starting to think the news is that AA has outsourced AAdvantage to Sixt. Can't think of anything else that would engender such doom and gloom from JonNYC
I think you just won the internet with this comment!
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Obviously not getting rid of elite status or anything like that.
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Waiting too see what happens to million miler program......
Any bets on the new elite levels being called Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald? And the benefits for Gold and Platinum then are?

It's a pity that historically QF has seriously neglected Perth ... Not that AA ever paid any attention either . At least SE Asia was better (economically) at connecting to the USA than Sydney until recently. It was fun while it lasted.

Back to my hole where I can (re)consider wandering

Fred
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Isn't 4pm the normal time for bad news?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by wrp96
That would assume that AA management perceives this as bad news. For them, they may be saying, "This is a glorious day! Let's let our customers know!".

No matter how bad the changes are, as per JonNYC, I can pretty much guarantee their e-mail to everyone and web posting will word it as if these changes are positive and beneficial for consumers.

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by wrp96
Yes, but this is presumably only bad news for us. AA will undoubtedly spin it as a change we will like.

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Wasn't the November award chart changes announcement, RDMs by spend (date still TBD), and SWU reduction news rolled out around 3pm CT? This was Tuesday, November 17, 2015.

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aves17
^ My thoughts exactly. It's sad when a good flight simply means you didn't get a crap crew with an attitude who clearly doesn't want to be there. But I get it, smiling is hard.
Hah! So true. AA's service in economy (and domestic first) has been so bad that the bar is set very, very low for what's a "good flight".
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MJonTravel
I took GNRMatt's comment as more of a personal decision not to pursue elite status for himself as opposed to AA dumping elite status, which I don't think will happen.

I've arrived at somewhat of the same conclusion. I fly enough to earn some modicum of it on DL without extra effort, and I have LT on AA. I think the days of me working hard, taking extra flights, charging X amount on a card product just for the sake of status are over for me too. For me, the "thrill is gone."
When I was mostly flying DL, I admittedly would book some of the more circuitous routings in pursuit of more MQMs. Ever since I came to AA, I've had far less occasion to add in stops just for the miles/segments (both because I've got less time to spend in airports/on planes and more money to spend on a non-stop). That said, I spent a fair amount of time in ORD recently because getting from DFW to michigan before noon on a Monday and leaving after 5 on a Thursday kinda limits my non-stop options. I'd hate to think some AAnalyst crunched the numbers, found that xx% of their elites have similar travel patterns, and decided that we were "gaming the system," prompting this move.

I could generally justify an extra $10-15 in ticket price on AA as GLD usually meant I could get proactively re-accommodated in the event of delays, and MCE access meant space to open my laptop and work a bit on the plane. If I'm stuck in Y- regardless, AA is losing out on $400 a week, because I'm spending $399 on DL/WN/UA.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Any bets on the new elite levels being called Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald?
Given the precious stone names, with 5 tiers (including regular members), I would anticipate the new elite levels be called:

1. Pebbles - regular members
2. Cubic Zarconia - Current Gold
3. Ruby - Current Platinum
4. Sapphire - New middle tier
5. Emerald - Current EXP
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Plat
i am waiting to buy a trip to SCL... just curious to see what happens today before deciding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.