Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

View Poll Results: The AAdvantage changes announced 6 Jun 2016 will
incentivize me to fly AA more, as I benefit overall
3.55%
cause me to buy premium over discount AA fares
3.42%
not impact my travel on AA in the balance
16.82%
make me choose AA or a competitor, depending on itinerary
23.78%
make me become an independent agent
29.04%
cause me to join another airline's FF program
23.39%
Voters: 761. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Changes Announced 6 Jun 2016 - REACTION, DISCUSSION

This thread is dedicated to "REACTION, DISCUSSION" of the changes announced June 6, 2016.

For "JUST THE FACTS", please use JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Summary of changes:

aa.com: Unknown but intended: aa.com updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.
Aug 2016:

Change to earning Award / Redeemable Miles to revenue based begins (see FT thread)

Bonus award miles "More Miles" for premium cabin discontinued

For travel beginning August 1, 2016

Earn award miles based on your ticket price and elite status on American-marketed flights.

You earn miles on the base fare plus carrier-imposed fees minus government-imposed taxes and fees. The more you spend (and the higher your elite status level) the more you’ll earn.
  • AAdvantage® member – 5 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Gold member – 7 miles for every U.S. dollar (40% bonus)
  • Platinum member – 8 miles for every U.S. dollar (60% bonus)
  • Platinum Pro - 9 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Executive Platinum member – 11 miles for every U.S. dollar (120% bonus)
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you'll earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Rates will be available by July 15.

NOTE: this also pertains to "special fares", such as those purchased through AA Vacations. (not AA language)

1 Jan 2017:

Status earning to have EQM/EQS criteria AND "EQD" revenue spend requirement

In addition to the (same as 2016) required EQM or EQS, to earn status one will have to also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"EQDs will be awarded based on:

Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights

EQD calculations will not include change fees and similar (premium seats, baggage, etc.) charges.

Q. Do checked bag fees, seat purchases, 500-mile upgrades or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs?

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships, Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Thanks to ty97.)
Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers and Alaska Airlines will earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased (as may "special fares" - not AA language)

NOTE: EQD offset may be earned by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver cards (added language not from AA)

With the addition of EQDs, we’ll remove the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status."
New EQD requirement
  • Gold - $3,000
  • Platinum - $6,000
  • Platinum Pro - $9,000 (beginning 1/1/17)
  • Executive Platinum - $12,000
Elimination of four AA marketed EQS requirement

NOTE: Concierge Key is treated as a higher status tier than Executive Platinum for upgrade Priority, but is not otherwise an AAdvantage status tier.

Change from three status tiers to four - new 75K "Platinum Pro" added

"In 2017 you can start earning toward a new level, Platinum Pro, with benefits like:
  • Complimentary upgrades on flights in 500-mile upgrade markets
  • Earn 9 award miles/U.S. dollar (80% bonus)
  • 2 free checked bags
  • oneworld® Sapphire status
  • 72 hour upgrade window
NOTE: Platinum upgrade window goes from 72 to 48 hours; Concierge Key upgrade window is 120 hours.

February 2017

Introduction of highly restricted AA Basic Economy fares. FT link.

These will accrue 0.5 EQM, 0.5 EQS, will not permit rollaboard size / overhead baggage (only one personal item) unless you have status, no upgrades permitted, etc.

"Late" 2017:

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

"The way your upgrade request is prioritized will change later in 2017. You’ll be listed according to your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months."
EP, and within EP by EQD spend in last 12 month period; PlatPro, ditto, and on to Platinum, Gold. For both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Executive Platinums able to upgrade MC / coach award flight (On flights 500 mile upgrades are usable, courtesy upgrades; priority within EP by last 12 month EQD spend).

"Starting later in 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."

Peripheral issues:

AA Vacations: AA Vacations packages (like partner airline tickets) will earn EQD, EQM, and RDM/AW based on the distance flown as determined by the fare class purchased. This is in accordance with the "Special Fares" section of the new EQD earnings pages, and confirmed here

EQD requirements will apply to non-US residents as well as US as currently exists

EQD requirements can be partially offset by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red or Silver cards.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM as reflected on charts on aa.com; EQD credit to be announced (15 Jul 2016)

Status: AA has no current plans to add "Lifetime Platinum Pro" status.

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees)

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete qualifying segment credited by AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

For links to new threads about these and other recent changes affecting AA flyers, see below.

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Link to Andy's take on the Award Miles earning changes on View From the Boarding Area.

Links to useful threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

HELP DESK: Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM Calculations & Planning 2017

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ (aa.com)
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link)

Link to FT thread: What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Link to FT thread: oneworld not requiring connecting protection or interline baggage 1 Jun 2016

Link to ARCHIVE: "Speculation about upcoming changes tba 6 Jun 2016"

Updated 6 Jan 2012 - JDiver

Print Wikipost

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Superguy
Things change, as happens in a market economy. AA tries to tilt the value proposition their way. Fine - that's their choice. But they can't bellyache when people determine that they no long offer a good value and choose to go somewhere else.
That's kind of the point. AA is clearly not particularly interested in shoveling a bunch of SWUs and RDMs towards the type of customer epitomized on FT: the person who turns $2-3,000 of spend on bottom-barrel cheap coach flights (maybe adding in a bunch of stops in AA hubs to maximize RDM) into a bunch of business class TATL/TPAC flights and premium class redemptions.

They're going to be perfectly willing to SELL cheap coach all day long, but incentivize it as anything other than cheap coach from point A to point B? Not so much.

They're even going to be willing to sell cheap business class at 2-3x cheapest coach prices when they have to (fare wars or low demand), as we've seen the past few months, but the US airlines are moving away from a model where premium class prices don't match market demand ("Why are you selling that lemonade for a million dollars?" "I only have to sell one glass!"), and they have to give away impaired premium inventory as award space, to one where they do a better job of setting market clearing prices for their premium inventory.

And yeah, in that model, where everyone is competing on price as opposed to "hey, fly our lousy airline more in cheap coach so you can occasionally get Krug and upgrades", convenience, service, amenities, customer experience, and how reliable the airline is DO matter more. So AA had better get with the program. Better make the planes run on time. Better have interiors that don't look 25 years old (because they really ARE from the early 90's). Better figure out that problem they have where nobody has a clue what's going on with the plane, and thus can't deliver accurate information real-time to customers. And so on.

Personally? The RDMs and upgrades are nice, but I'd rather fly a stingy airline that delivers what I bought and gets me there on time (and keeps me up to date/deals well with service delivery problems) than an airline that shovels miles at me but has problems with the actual flying I need to do. I think AA has problems being that first airline at the moment. DL's WAY ahead of them.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation

Here's the deal: there are two threads.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...un-2016-a.html for those seeking elucidation of the changes and checking the information we know.

This thread, entitled http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...un-2016-a.html for reaction, discussion, venting, etc. so we can keep the JUST THE FACTS thread clear of the many posts about our feelings about these changes.

What neither thread is: opportunity to blast other posters. See FT Rule 12, "Abusive Or Disruptive Behavior Or Content" (link) for further guidance. Please refrain from discussing other posters or posts;
"If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated."

As well, try to stay on topic - this thread is about the June 6 announced changes to the AAdvantage program, not other topics best discussed elsewhere.

Thank you.

/Moderator
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by billgrates3
I've flown almost entirely on AA & OW flights since 1990. Now >3.2MM miles. While I've been EXP for 9 years now, I won't make it this year, not even close, as my NGO has ramped down foreign travel.

I foolishly assumed I could always fall back to LTP status, but now AA is going to devalued that too, as well as everything else in Aadvantage.

THANKS AA!

(since I'm near SFO, UA is finally starting to look like a better option)
sure, if you like delayed and cancelled flights surrounded by horrible customer service, then UA is your answer. Then again, the above just described AA to a T!
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by cmd320
Not necessarily, but the upgrade lists/Sky Priority lines, etc. certainly haven't seen any noticeable drop in crowding. It's always nice being in paid F and seeing the upgrade list of like 57 'elites' for one seat...

Originally Posted by Fanjet
IIRC, oil went above $100 around 2011 and hovered in that range through late 2014. There were a few U.S. airlines doing well financially during that time period.
UA and DL came out of BK so I'm not surprised about them being profitable. WN had fuel hedges and US was lucky to have costs down (given the US Airways East and US Airways West pilot unions couldn't get along).

Can't remember about the other carriers.

Regardless, your point about carriers being profitable with oil @$100 does stand mostly true.^
Old Jun 10, 2016, 3:23 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I've seen it.... during the good ole days at United with mileage runs. Heck, back then, to get on Capt. Denny Flanagan's inaugural FlyerTalk 1 flight, I did JFK-IAD-RIC-ORD-SFO-JFK in 24hrs for $200. I threw in RPUs(CRs) on ORD-SFO and SFO-JFK(ps) to boot...

We also used to get $200 vouchers whenever we found anything broken, like a light or audio plug. CFO declared us "over-entitled" and that was the beginning of the end of that...

Isn't these $200 vouchers what ultimately got Lucky banned from UA when he would keep submitting the same vouchers?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage - PLT Pro, United Premier PLT, HHonors - Diamond, National - Ex. Elite
Originally Posted by Captain Flush
(Bolding mine.) You raise very good points, but an important missing part of this is that switching to revenue-based earning across the board effectively penalizes business travelers whose employers aren't willing to purchase higher fares. If I work for company A and you work for company B, and my company is willing to buy me full-fare tickets and yours is only willing to buy you the lowest available restricted fare, how is fair to us -- the people whose butts are in the seats -- to give me more perks than you if we both fly the exact same amount? I just don't see it, especially in a world where each of our employers is already receiving points or perks for buying our tickets in the first place.

I think in the long run this system is going to cause exactly the issue you raised, at least among biz travelers who pay attention to loyalty programs. Those whose employers aren't willing to buy unrestricted fares will become less satisfied and less willing to travel as often. IMO this will have the overall effect of decreasing business travel in the long run (because let's not kid ourselves that many employees will successfully lobby their employers to buy higher fares so they can earn more miles). Framing this change as "giving our best customers access to our most exclusive benefits" is thinly veiled spin, when what's actually going on is that benefits are being restricted to those who spend more, and in many (if not most?) cases the people doing the big spending are not the same people receiving those benefits.
I completely agree with you. From where I sit, you nailed it.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't think that most people would assume that a refundable ticket has to be a full fare ticket; there are lots of refundable fares sold that are discounted fares.

AA , on its web page, classes only Y and B as full fare for economy class
Never said it had to be full fare. But "discount" and "refundable" are generally not closely associated. For example, if you say you bought a discounted economy class fare, I think it is safe to say most people would not think it is refundable.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Isn't these $200 vouchers what ultimately got Lucky banned from UA when he would keep submitting the same vouchers?
i thought he was banned for using one 200 voucher at the same time for multiple reservations using multiple broswers/computers.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by pbd456
i thought he was banned for using one 200 voucher at the same time for multiple reservations using multiple broswers/computers.
Actually, it was when he bragged about getting $10,000 worth for complaining about everything under the sun on UA flights to a reporter. (Source: Rolling Stone) He is NOT banned from UA. Just banned from UA's Mileage Plus.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
sure, if you like delayed and cancelled flights surrounded by horrible customer service, then UA is your answer. Then again, the above just described AA to a T!
United is actually not the horrible option it was 3 years ago. Things have significantly improved and I would place it's CS somewhere in between DL and AA. There are a few things they do better than both DL and AA. At the end of the day, now that all the FFPs are equally useless, there's really no reason to choose an airline based on the rewards.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
To Europe? I'm not sure I'd take BA/IB/AB/S7 clearly over LH/OS/LX/LO/SN or AF/KL/AZ.

To Africa? Please.

To Asia? This is a better matchup, but CA/CX/JL vs. NH/OZ/SQ doesn't strike me as a case where *A is totally overmatched. Even KE and all the Chinese airlines isn't THAT bad for choices of options.

To South America? OK, this is a pretty clear one with LATAM, though Copa/Avianca aren't terrible.

To Australia? Well, obviously QF is pretty good, but *A has NZ and if you're DL, you get VA...

What are you driving at?
And this is where my tortured love affair with AA may end for me. Most of our international travel is to Europe. In that market, *A has it all over OW.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Ambassador
Originally Posted by cmd320
United is actually not the horrible option it was 3 years ago. Things have significantly improved and I would place it's CS somewhere in between DL and AA. There are a few things they do better than both DL and AA. At the end of the day, now that all the FFPs are equally useless, there's really no reason to choose an airline based on the rewards.
Reminder: equally useless for you, not necessarily for everyone.

I wish they had made these changes earlier. I would have a lot more miles in my account if they had! For example, I just booked a ticket with a fare of $615 and a distance of 1,100 miles. As a Platinum under the old system, I will earn 3,250 currency miles. Under the new system, I would have earned 4920 currency miles! And now, if I make EP, I will be towards the top of the upgrade list when I use those miles for a leisure trip or purchase a deep discount fare myself.

For customers like me, the AA program was at a competitive disadvantage versus UA and DL before these changes. If I was a customer somewhere like Chicago, New York, or LA, I might have switched in response.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by 110pgl
I don't think most people would associate refundable tickets and discount economy.

YMMV
True, but technically, anything below a Y fare is considered discount. Before B was repurposed, it was sort of a limbo fare - considered full fare for EQM purposes and flexibility, but still discounted compared to a Y fare.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
That's kind of the point. AA is clearly not particularly interested in shoveling a bunch of SWUs and RDMs towards the type of customer epitomized on FT: the person who turns $2-3,000 of spend on bottom-barrel cheap coach flights (maybe adding in a bunch of stops in AA hubs to maximize RDM) into a bunch of business class TATL/TPAC flights and premium class redemptions.
My question is - how much of that stereotype is actually based on reality? We all know a few people who've done it, but I think the reality is much different. Most of us here are business travelers. Some are fortunate enough to travel a lot on their own dime leisurely. And some completely game the system.

The argument's been made that FTers are a small subset of the elite pool (with some Kettles in the mix of course). I agree with that. And just as people say that FT is a small but vocal minority, I also think that the "gamers" are a small, vocal minority of that group. Thus we're looking at a rather insignificant number of gamers.

I think it would be foolish to redo an FFP just to counteract that small group. When you factor in the cost of developing the program in materials and labor, and also the risks of burning the customers you want to keep with those changes, I don't think the gamers warrant that level of attention.

I think something bigger's afoot, and it's more due to the oligopoly that the airlines don't think they need to compete on FFPs as much because in reality, where are you going to go? If you fly international, you're stuck with the big 3. Domestically you have a few more options, but in reality their programs aren't much different either and have been revenue based for much longer. So I think it comes down to feeling they don't need to incentivize travel because they're going to get it anyway.

If it was really about just eliminating the cheap elite, that could have been taken care of a long time ago and it hasn't. I think the cheap elite's just a straw man to cover for the lack of competition in the market.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAFlyerSPGStayer
Reminder: equally useless for you, not necessarily for everyone.

I wish they had made these changes earlier. I would have a lot more miles in my account if they had! For example, I just booked a ticket with a fare of $615 and a distance of 1,100 miles. As a Platinum under the old system, I will earn 3,250 currency miles. Under the new system, I would have earned 4920 currency miles! And now, if I make EP, I will be towards the top of the upgrade list when I use those miles for a leisure trip or purchase a deep discount fare myself.

For customers like me, the AA program was at a competitive disadvantage versus UA and DL before these changes. If I was a customer somewhere like Chicago, New York, or LA, I might have switched in response.
I don't think there was ever any argument that there are people who benefit from this change. The consensus seems to focus on people who fly on expensive short flights.

Long haul loses out and even flying premium doesn't help much there due to the earning caps and such. Just comparing my last international trip booked in D/P, I would have gotten at least 10k fewer miles under the new program.

I think the "rewarding our best customers" is just a smoke screen for an overall gutting of the program - from flying at least. I'm sure they'll continue to give out miles from CCs like candy though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.