Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: The AAdvantage changes announced 6 Jun 2016 will
incentivize me to fly AA more, as I benefit overall
3.55%
cause me to buy premium over discount AA fares
3.42%
not impact my travel on AA in the balance
16.82%
make me choose AA or a competitor, depending on itinerary
23.78%
make me become an independent agent
29.04%
cause me to join another airline's FF program
23.39%
Voters: 761. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Changes Announced 6 Jun 2016 - REACTION, DISCUSSION

This thread is dedicated to "REACTION, DISCUSSION" of the changes announced June 6, 2016.

For "JUST THE FACTS", please use JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Summary of changes:

aa.com: Unknown but intended: aa.com updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.
Aug 2016:

Change to earning Award / Redeemable Miles to revenue based begins (see FT thread)

Bonus award miles "More Miles" for premium cabin discontinued

For travel beginning August 1, 2016

Earn award miles based on your ticket price and elite status on American-marketed flights.

You earn miles on the base fare plus carrier-imposed fees minus government-imposed taxes and fees. The more you spend (and the higher your elite status level) the more you’ll earn.
  • AAdvantage® member – 5 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Gold member – 7 miles for every U.S. dollar (40% bonus)
  • Platinum member – 8 miles for every U.S. dollar (60% bonus)
  • Platinum Pro - 9 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Executive Platinum member – 11 miles for every U.S. dollar (120% bonus)
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you'll earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Rates will be available by July 15.

NOTE: this also pertains to "special fares", such as those purchased through AA Vacations. (not AA language)

1 Jan 2017:

Status earning to have EQM/EQS criteria AND "EQD" revenue spend requirement

In addition to the (same as 2016) required EQM or EQS, to earn status one will have to also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"EQDs will be awarded based on:

Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights

EQD calculations will not include change fees and similar (premium seats, baggage, etc.) charges.

Q. Do checked bag fees, seat purchases, 500-mile upgrades or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs?

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships, Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Thanks to ty97.)
Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers and Alaska Airlines will earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased (as may "special fares" - not AA language)

NOTE: EQD offset may be earned by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver cards (added language not from AA)

With the addition of EQDs, we’ll remove the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status."
New EQD requirement
  • Gold - $3,000
  • Platinum - $6,000
  • Platinum Pro - $9,000 (beginning 1/1/17)
  • Executive Platinum - $12,000
Elimination of four AA marketed EQS requirement

NOTE: Concierge Key is treated as a higher status tier than Executive Platinum for upgrade Priority, but is not otherwise an AAdvantage status tier.

Change from three status tiers to four - new 75K "Platinum Pro" added

"In 2017 you can start earning toward a new level, Platinum Pro, with benefits like:
  • Complimentary upgrades on flights in 500-mile upgrade markets
  • Earn 9 award miles/U.S. dollar (80% bonus)
  • 2 free checked bags
  • oneworld® Sapphire status
  • 72 hour upgrade window
NOTE: Platinum upgrade window goes from 72 to 48 hours; Concierge Key upgrade window is 120 hours.

February 2017

Introduction of highly restricted AA Basic Economy fares. FT link.

These will accrue 0.5 EQM, 0.5 EQS, will not permit rollaboard size / overhead baggage (only one personal item) unless you have status, no upgrades permitted, etc.

"Late" 2017:

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

"The way your upgrade request is prioritized will change later in 2017. You’ll be listed according to your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months."
EP, and within EP by EQD spend in last 12 month period; PlatPro, ditto, and on to Platinum, Gold. For both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Executive Platinums able to upgrade MC / coach award flight (On flights 500 mile upgrades are usable, courtesy upgrades; priority within EP by last 12 month EQD spend).

"Starting later in 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."

Peripheral issues:

AA Vacations: AA Vacations packages (like partner airline tickets) will earn EQD, EQM, and RDM/AW based on the distance flown as determined by the fare class purchased. This is in accordance with the "Special Fares" section of the new EQD earnings pages, and confirmed here

EQD requirements will apply to non-US residents as well as US as currently exists

EQD requirements can be partially offset by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red or Silver cards.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM as reflected on charts on aa.com; EQD credit to be announced (15 Jul 2016)

Status: AA has no current plans to add "Lifetime Platinum Pro" status.

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees)

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete qualifying segment credited by AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

For links to new threads about these and other recent changes affecting AA flyers, see below.

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Link to Andy's take on the Award Miles earning changes on View From the Boarding Area.

Links to useful threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

HELP DESK: Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM Calculations & Planning 2017

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ (aa.com)
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link)

Link to FT thread: What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Link to FT thread: oneworld not requiring connecting protection or interline baggage 1 Jun 2016

Link to ARCHIVE: "Speculation about upcoming changes tba 6 Jun 2016"

Updated 6 Jan 2012 - JDiver

Print Wikipost

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:24 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by virtuo0
BTW AA service sucks (if there is any) and miles are completely useless.
Having 3 award tickets to the Olympics in two months, might be hard for me to agree that those AA miles are useless. They also got me tickets to Athens, Beijing and London. Where are you trying to go? Without details, including destinations and how far out you're booking, just another rant.

I just don't see this horrid AA service that you do.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by cmd320
Honestly looking at the BA program, it's far better for those who are consistently buying J/F fares. Plus you'd get comp Admirals Club once you hit Silver/Sapphire and FL at Gold/Emerald.
Its one idea I'm looking into as well. Even WT+ isn't too bad and I've calculated (I hope I've calculated this correclty ) that 1 SFO-LHR-DXB round-trip in WT+ and about 6 SFO-JFK-SFO in Y will earn enough to make it to BA Silver.

SFO-LHR-DXB-LHR-SFO WT+=90*4 = 360 Points (Also fulfills 4 BA segments)
SFO-JFK-SFO on AA Y = (20*2)*6 = 240 points
----------------------------------------------------
=600 BA Tier Points = BA Silver.

Its not too bad of a deal given that one can find decent fares for both destinations from SFO during the year. That being said, not sure how many are looking to earn Avios or want to fly BA.

YMMV.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Originally Posted by tom911
Having 3 award tickets to the Olympics next month, might be hard for me to agree that those AA miles are useless. They also got me tickets to Athens, Beijing and London. Where are you trying to go? Without details, including destinations and how far out you're booking, just another rant.

I just don't see this horrid AA service that you do.
I am just trying to book between BOS - ATL. Ticket price is $130 and the award type is AAnytime - 30K miles.

I flew US/AA for very long time and thought it was good. I recently started flying Southwest for my personal travel because it had most convenient flights and I now know what good service is. I have many observations from Delta & Southwest that they do a better job than AA.

Anyway...its not rant. Its just opinion. I am sure AA will be fine whether I fly them or not and I will be fine without flying them.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
TBH the revenue based change might benefit me. I only fly enough to get to gold usually, but a lot of the flights are last minute, and therefore expensive. So I may end up with more RDMs.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
I've been thinking a lot of how I'm actually going to evaluate the decision. I'm thinking I'm going to be making some sort of spreadsheet comparing my options' elite level perks, qualification requirements, network and so forth so I at least have a sound methodology for my decision. I'm still thinking about how I'll compare what's important to me. I'm thinking some sort of point value assigned to each one, but easily modifiable as everyone values perks differently.

I'm not sure when I'll have it done, but if you want, I'll be willing to share it.
I've already started working on the same thing. Once the July 15 info is known, I'll plug in the relevant info and see what it all looks like going forward with yearly flight planning.

It would be great to see what you come up with, and I'd be more than happy to publish mine on a Google Doc as well. ^
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: WN CP, AA PLT, IHG PLT, Hyatt PLT, BW DI
As a fairly recent American flyer (moving over from Southwest), I'm trying to put my finger on this because my choices are basically United or American.

Am I correct in saying that if you're putting down $15k/year or more, you will likely benefit from these changes? i.e., EXP will be easier to earn, you'll be higher on the priority list for upgrades, etc.

If I'm wrong, someone please explain.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by TexasAggie
As a fairly recent American flyer (moving over from Southwest), I'm trying to put my finger on this because my choices are basically United or American.

Am I correct in saying that if you're putting down $15k/year or more, you will likely benefit from these changes? i.e., EXP will be easier to earn, you'll be higher on the priority list for upgrades, etc.

Assuming you fly 100K EQM, you would have to run the exact math on how much you get now with bonuses and how much you will get in the new program. At $15k (net of taxes/fees/etc), you would get in the neighborhood of 165,000 miles. How many miles did you get flying 100,000 EQM this year?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Assuming you fly 100K EQM, you would have to run the exact math on how much you get now with bonuses and how much you will get in the new program. At $15k (net of taxes/fees/etc), you would get in the neighborhood of 165,000 miles. How many miles did you get flying 100,000 EQM this year?
I've basically been flying American for a little over a month, and I'm at about 20k miles. I did a Platinum challenge. I'm not sure if I'll hit EXP by the end of the year but I think so if I can avoid the temptation to book a lot with WN.

Because of my job, I often have to fly on short notice, and so this means that I might qualify faster under the new system.

I guess the point I was trying to make, ask, whatever, that if you are in consultant type work flying every week, and these are the kinds of fares you're buying (no change fee or refundable fares close to departure) you are more likely to benefit from this system.

Not sure how many FTers that represents but that's more or less the boat I'm in.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:28 am

You may, you may not. Let's say you fly DFW-LHR-DFW 4x per year in discount J. You pay $4000 each trip. It's a 9500mi R/T. $16,000 out of pocket.

4x9500 = 38,000 miles flown. Kick in class of service bonus (2x/mi) and you have 76,000 EQM after spending $16,000.

So, congrats. You're now "Platinum Pro" by 1000 EQM after spending $4000 more than the EXP EQD minimum and not becoming EXP.

Point is... it's not as simple as just spending money.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by econometrics
You may, you may not. Let's say you fly DFW-LHR-DFW 4x per year in discount J. You pay $4000 each trip. It's a 9500mi R/T. $16,000 out of pocket.

4x9500 = 38,000 miles flown. Kick in class of service bonus (2x/mi) and you have 76,000 EQM after spending $16,000.

So, congrats. You're now "Platinum Pro" by 1000 EQM after spending $4000 more than the EXP EQD minimum and not becoming EXP.

Point is... it's not as simple as just spending money.
I do not fly international, so I do not earn lots of miles compared to my fare.

Many of the fares out of DFW to smaller markets for Choice Plus or refundable are in the ~300-400 range whereas the miles are almost always less than 1.5k.

So let's say I book a $400 one way ticket before taxes (I only book one way for flexibility) and it's less than a 1500 mile trip (pretty much anywhere from DFW). You're looking at 3200 EQMs as a Platinum under the new system (8 EQM per dollar) whereas the mileage would be, even to Seattle or Northern New England or something, far less than that.

I guess to me it just seems like if you fly domestic a lot and you buy these kinds of tickets you benefit, but I'm honestly prepared to be wrong. As a WN diehard for years I am used to a certain system and American has been a totally different experience.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:38 am

I do not fly international, so I do not earn lots of miles compared to my fare.

Many of the fares out of DFW to smaller markets for Choice Plus or refundable are in the ~300-400 range whereas the miles are almost always less than 1.5k.

So let's say I book a $400 one way ticket before taxes (I only book one way for flexibility) and it's less than a 1500 mile trip (pretty much anywhere from DFW). You're looking at 3200 EQMs as a Platinum under the new system (8 EQM per dollar) whereas the mileage would be, even to Seattle or Northern New England or something, far less than that.

I guess to me it just seems like if you fly domestic a lot and you buy these kinds of tickets you benefit, but I'm honestly prepared to be wrong. As a WN diehard for years I am used to a certain system and American has been a totally different experience.
You are confusing EQM (elite miles) with RDM (award miles). As a PLT, you get 8x RDM, not EQM. The most EQM you can earn on a fare is 3x for full-fare business or first class.

If you book a last-minute (usually full-fare... Y) ticket for $400 for 1500 miles, you would get 2,250 EQM for that flight. (1500*1.5)
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:42 am

You are confusing EQM (elite miles) with RDM (award miles). As a PLT, you get 8x RDM, not EQM. The most EQM you can earn on a fare is 3x for full-fare business or first class.

If you book a last-minute (usually full-fare... Y) ticket for $400 for 1500 miles, you would get 2,250 EQM for that flight. (1500*1.5)
You're right, I am.

So there's no change to the EQM model? Then obviously I'm pleased, because I care far less about award miles than status and the change to 100,000 EQMs for EXP means more to me than getting less award miles.

Now do I understand, or still no?

Thanks for taking it easy on the noob.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:45 am

You're right, I am.

So there's no change to the EQM model? Then obviously I'm pleased, because I care far less about award miles than status and the change to 100,000 EQMs for EXP means more to me than getting less award miles.

Now do I understand, or still no?

Thanks for taking it easy on the noob.
You're an Aggie, I understand. \m/

The changes to the EQM model were released earlier this year. No changes on the announcement this week.

Here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...s/american.jsp and Here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/m...r-airlines.jsp

Flying 100K miles on tickets bought on AA with an AA flight number will get you 100K EQM. You will just need to spend $12K in the process to keep your EXP status starting Jan 1, 2017.

^
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:48 am

You're an Aggie, I understand. \m/

The changes to the EQM model were released earlier this year. No changes on the announcement this week.

Here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...s/american.jsp and Here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/m...r-airlines.jsp

Flying 100K miles on tickets bought on AA with an AA flight number will get you 100K EQM. You will just need to spend $12K in the process to keep your EXP status starting Jan 1, 2017.

^
Well I guess I had that coming didn't I.

I do appreciate that they've lowered the threshold. It's a feat to wrap up 120k miles on American this year because there are still markets I fly where WN makes the most sense by a long shot. And sometimes JetBlue.

Is the 100,000 EQM threshold for EXP for this year, now, or does that only apply to next year?

I think I'm correct in saying that it WAS 120k for EXP earlier in the year, right?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:50 am

Well I guess I had that coming didn't I.

I do appreciate that they've lowered the threshold. It's a feat to wrap up 120k miles on American this year because there are still markets I fly where WN makes the most sense by a long shot. And sometimes JetBlue.

Is the 100,000 EQM threshold for EXP for this year, now, or does that only apply to next year?

I think I'm correct in saying that it WAS 120k for EXP earlier in the year, right?
You did, yes.

It's always been 100K for EXP, actually. Still is going forward. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.