Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: The AAdvantage changes announced 6 Jun 2016 will
incentivize me to fly AA more, as I benefit overall
3.55%
cause me to buy premium over discount AA fares
3.42%
not impact my travel on AA in the balance
16.82%
make me choose AA or a competitor, depending on itinerary
23.78%
make me become an independent agent
29.04%
cause me to join another airline's FF program
23.39%
Voters: 761. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Changes Announced 6 Jun 2016 - REACTION, DISCUSSION

This thread is dedicated to "REACTION, DISCUSSION" of the changes announced June 6, 2016.

For "JUST THE FACTS", please use JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Summary of changes:

aa.com: Unknown but intended: aa.com updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.
Aug 2016:

Change to earning Award / Redeemable Miles to revenue based begins (see FT thread)

Bonus award miles "More Miles" for premium cabin discontinued

For travel beginning August 1, 2016

Earn award miles based on your ticket price and elite status on American-marketed flights.

You earn miles on the base fare plus carrier-imposed fees minus government-imposed taxes and fees. The more you spend (and the higher your elite status level) the more you’ll earn.
  • AAdvantage® member – 5 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Gold member – 7 miles for every U.S. dollar (40% bonus)
  • Platinum member – 8 miles for every U.S. dollar (60% bonus)
  • Platinum Pro - 9 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Executive Platinum member – 11 miles for every U.S. dollar (120% bonus)
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you'll earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Rates will be available by July 15.

NOTE: this also pertains to "special fares", such as those purchased through AA Vacations. (not AA language)

1 Jan 2017:

Status earning to have EQM/EQS criteria AND "EQD" revenue spend requirement

In addition to the (same as 2016) required EQM or EQS, to earn status one will have to also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"EQDs will be awarded based on:

Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights

EQD calculations will not include change fees and similar (premium seats, baggage, etc.) charges.

Q. Do checked bag fees, seat purchases, 500-mile upgrades or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs?

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships, Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Thanks to ty97.)
Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers and Alaska Airlines will earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased (as may "special fares" - not AA language)

NOTE: EQD offset may be earned by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver cards (added language not from AA)

With the addition of EQDs, we’ll remove the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status."
New EQD requirement
  • Gold - $3,000
  • Platinum - $6,000
  • Platinum Pro - $9,000 (beginning 1/1/17)
  • Executive Platinum - $12,000
Elimination of four AA marketed EQS requirement

NOTE: Concierge Key is treated as a higher status tier than Executive Platinum for upgrade Priority, but is not otherwise an AAdvantage status tier.

Change from three status tiers to four - new 75K "Platinum Pro" added

"In 2017 you can start earning toward a new level, Platinum Pro, with benefits like:
  • Complimentary upgrades on flights in 500-mile upgrade markets
  • Earn 9 award miles/U.S. dollar (80% bonus)
  • 2 free checked bags
  • oneworld® Sapphire status
  • 72 hour upgrade window
NOTE: Platinum upgrade window goes from 72 to 48 hours; Concierge Key upgrade window is 120 hours.

February 2017

Introduction of highly restricted AA Basic Economy fares. FT link.

These will accrue 0.5 EQM, 0.5 EQS, will not permit rollaboard size / overhead baggage (only one personal item) unless you have status, no upgrades permitted, etc.

"Late" 2017:

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

"The way your upgrade request is prioritized will change later in 2017. You’ll be listed according to your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months."
EP, and within EP by EQD spend in last 12 month period; PlatPro, ditto, and on to Platinum, Gold. For both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Executive Platinums able to upgrade MC / coach award flight (On flights 500 mile upgrades are usable, courtesy upgrades; priority within EP by last 12 month EQD spend).

"Starting later in 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."

Peripheral issues:

AA Vacations: AA Vacations packages (like partner airline tickets) will earn EQD, EQM, and RDM/AW based on the distance flown as determined by the fare class purchased. This is in accordance with the "Special Fares" section of the new EQD earnings pages, and confirmed here

EQD requirements will apply to non-US residents as well as US as currently exists

EQD requirements can be partially offset by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red or Silver cards.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM as reflected on charts on aa.com; EQD credit to be announced (15 Jul 2016)

Status: AA has no current plans to add "Lifetime Platinum Pro" status.

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees)

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete qualifying segment credited by AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

For links to new threads about these and other recent changes affecting AA flyers, see below.

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Link to Andy's take on the Award Miles earning changes on View From the Boarding Area.

Links to useful threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

HELP DESK: Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM Calculations & Planning 2017

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ (aa.com)
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link)

Link to FT thread: What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Link to FT thread: oneworld not requiring connecting protection or interline baggage 1 Jun 2016

Link to ARCHIVE: "Speculation about upcoming changes tba 6 Jun 2016"

Updated 6 Jan 2012 - JDiver

Print Wikipost

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
FWIW, I just gave Citibank a call to pass on to Citi to push for a waiver of the EQD requirements for minimum spend on the Citi Card. I would suggest that others let Citi know as well. Will it help hard to say? But, I am sure that silence will not be helpful and could be hurtful.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by upinsmoke
... Platinum Pro (ugh, that name!).
Seriously. 1998 called, they want their branding back.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Well this is surprising in exactly zero ways. Pretty much another copy and paste of the DL program that has existed for 3 years now. I wonder if DL couldn't sue AA and UA for such a blatant copy of their FFP?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
double post :/

Last edited by Lavezzi; Jun 6, 2016 at 12:18 pm Reason: double post :/
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Welp... I'm at 76,000 EQMs right now, and have more than enough travel booked to reach EXP again by year end. I'll go ahead and re-qualify for the SWUs, for whatever that's worth. After that, I'll be perfectly fine with United. Nothing personal, it's just business. There's no incentive for me to go out of my way to fly American, and be forced to connect to go pretty much anywhere, while United has non-stops to most places I go.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ty97
While nothing is given, it will not be surprising if it looks a lot like Delta's Basic Economy:

Again, that is Delta's current program and AA's program could look very different, but I expect it will look similar (if not exactly the same)

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...c-economy.html
There's no real reason to not award RDM/EQM on Basic fares- even if someone somehow qualified for EXP flying only basic econ, they wouldn't get any perks they couldn't get via a CC. Giving miles makes an occasional basic econ purchase (say, through a work portal) tolerable for an elite. No miles/upgrades/assigned seats = no reason for an elite to book with AA
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
I've read and re-read the announcement on aa.com, and posts by Gary and Ben (haven't seen others yet).

I am TRULY baffled to see any point of distinction remaining between AAdvantage and other airlines' FFPs whom presumably AA sees as primary competition, namely DL and UA.

After Aug 1, they will all:
-earn RDMs based on fare, capping at 75K regardless of price
-require min spend (about the same level) for elite status
-award some inferior amount of RDMs for partner-marketed flights
-prioritize and base almost every aspect primarily on $$ spent -- from elite status to upgrade priority

In addition, AA generally has crappier planes and crappier operational performance.

WHAT specifically, I would love to know, is AA attempting to accomplish with this change?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:57 am

So I'm guessing that LIfetime Plats now get bumped down a level with the intro of "Pro"
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by akcae
I am TRULY baffled to see any point of distinction remaining between AAdvantage and other airlines' FFPs whom presumably AA sees as primary competition, namely DL and UA.
There are very few differences I see on first blush (others may notice more):
- EXP remains 100K, not 125K like Delta Diamond
- AA may NOT exempt foreign fliers like Delta and United

In most ways, it's an unsurprising copy and paste.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl

Yes. But DL allows MQD exemption with $25K combined spend on DL-branded AMEX cards, and as of now, AA does not. UA top tier is 1K at 100,000 PQMs, but they don't allow PQD waiver with cc spend. And both of those programs' spend requirements only apply to US-based members.

So far, AA is 0 for 2 in that list.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by ss2000
Welp, it was a good run while it lasted. When the next air recession hits, they will realize how stupid of a move this was. Main thing that differentiated AA from the other major carriers was their excellent FF program. However, instead of being a leader, they followed. The problem is Delta is a much better airline compared to AA.
Indeed, after qualifying this year it's probably back to United & Alaska for me.

Originally Posted by sdix
So I'm guessing that LIfetime Plats now get bumped down a level with the intro of "Pro"
Lol.

Yea too bad there's no spend waiver for non U.S. nor credit card spend.
That might have kept my interest.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by akcae
But DL allows MQD exemption with $25K combined spend on DL-branded AMEX cards, and as of now, AA does not.
To me, this is HUGE. Hopefully, the announcement of the waiver with the CITI and Barclay's card is shortly behind.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
back to DL and BA for me. At least their planes are nice. What a crock and do make it effective in August... The very least they could have done was wait till January or not kept the actual changes a secret...
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
To me, this is HUGE. Hopefully, the announcement of the waiver with the CITI and Barclay's card is shortly behind.
I called Citi. Cannot hurt for anyone impacted to do the same.

Safe Travels
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by GTITAN
I wonder if the Citi AA Ex MC will provide a waiver at the end of the day. One has to spend $40K annually to get 10K EQMs. Would be nice if that also acted as your EQDs for AA.
So far AA has (almost) copied UA and DL with everything else. Lets see if they work up a deal with Citibank.

Originally Posted by mikeef
And Delta has the credit card spend waiver, which does not appear to be a part of AA's changes.

Mike
While I'm not too crazy about the RDM's, if a credit card can eliminate the PQD's then I can still live with it.

Originally Posted by Lavezzi
No idea why all the major US airlines are happy to maintain the homogeneity with their loyalty programs. What's the point in ever switching if there's an increasing lack in difference between them?
Not too sure..maybe we need to ask Parker and Kirby.

Originally Posted by ss2000
Welp, it was a good run while it lasted. When the next air recession hits, they will realize how stupid of a move this was. Main thing that differentiated AA from the other major carriers was their excellent FF program. However, instead of being a leader, they followed. The problem is Delta is a much better airline compared to AA.
I agree about the good run and next recession. I thought AA was doing a good job trying to get people to switch from UA to AA with all of their offers.

Living in the Bay Area, I really don't have too much incentive anymore to fly AA - especially if I have to make connections and I can get into a "better situation" with AS or UA, which are "Plan B" and "Plan C" with "Plan D" flying any carrier.

Originally Posted by sdix
Platinum just got devalued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.