Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: The AAdvantage changes announced 6 Jun 2016 will
incentivize me to fly AA more, as I benefit overall
3.55%
cause me to buy premium over discount AA fares
3.42%
not impact my travel on AA in the balance
16.82%
make me choose AA or a competitor, depending on itinerary
23.78%
make me become an independent agent
29.04%
cause me to join another airline's FF program
23.39%
Voters: 761. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Changes Announced 6 Jun 2016 - REACTION, DISCUSSION

This thread is dedicated to "REACTION, DISCUSSION" of the changes announced June 6, 2016.

For "JUST THE FACTS", please use JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Summary of changes:

aa.com: Unknown but intended: aa.com updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.
Aug 2016:

Change to earning Award / Redeemable Miles to revenue based begins (see FT thread)

Bonus award miles "More Miles" for premium cabin discontinued

For travel beginning August 1, 2016

Earn award miles based on your ticket price and elite status on American-marketed flights.

You earn miles on the base fare plus carrier-imposed fees minus government-imposed taxes and fees. The more you spend (and the higher your elite status level) the more you’ll earn.
  • AAdvantage® member – 5 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Gold member – 7 miles for every U.S. dollar (40% bonus)
  • Platinum member – 8 miles for every U.S. dollar (60% bonus)
  • Platinum Pro - 9 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Executive Platinum member – 11 miles for every U.S. dollar (120% bonus)
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you'll earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Rates will be available by July 15.

NOTE: this also pertains to "special fares", such as those purchased through AA Vacations. (not AA language)

1 Jan 2017:

Status earning to have EQM/EQS criteria AND "EQD" revenue spend requirement

In addition to the (same as 2016) required EQM or EQS, to earn status one will have to also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"EQDs will be awarded based on:

Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights

EQD calculations will not include change fees and similar (premium seats, baggage, etc.) charges.

Q. Do checked bag fees, seat purchases, 500-mile upgrades or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs?

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships, Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Thanks to ty97.)
Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers and Alaska Airlines will earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased (as may "special fares" - not AA language)

NOTE: EQD offset may be earned by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver cards (added language not from AA)

With the addition of EQDs, we’ll remove the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status."
New EQD requirement
  • Gold - $3,000
  • Platinum - $6,000
  • Platinum Pro - $9,000 (beginning 1/1/17)
  • Executive Platinum - $12,000
Elimination of four AA marketed EQS requirement

NOTE: Concierge Key is treated as a higher status tier than Executive Platinum for upgrade Priority, but is not otherwise an AAdvantage status tier.

Change from three status tiers to four - new 75K "Platinum Pro" added

"In 2017 you can start earning toward a new level, Platinum Pro, with benefits like:
  • Complimentary upgrades on flights in 500-mile upgrade markets
  • Earn 9 award miles/U.S. dollar (80% bonus)
  • 2 free checked bags
  • oneworld® Sapphire status
  • 72 hour upgrade window
NOTE: Platinum upgrade window goes from 72 to 48 hours; Concierge Key upgrade window is 120 hours.

February 2017

Introduction of highly restricted AA Basic Economy fares. FT link.

These will accrue 0.5 EQM, 0.5 EQS, will not permit rollaboard size / overhead baggage (only one personal item) unless you have status, no upgrades permitted, etc.

"Late" 2017:

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

"The way your upgrade request is prioritized will change later in 2017. You’ll be listed according to your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months."
EP, and within EP by EQD spend in last 12 month period; PlatPro, ditto, and on to Platinum, Gold. For both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Executive Platinums able to upgrade MC / coach award flight (On flights 500 mile upgrades are usable, courtesy upgrades; priority within EP by last 12 month EQD spend).

"Starting later in 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."

Peripheral issues:

AA Vacations: AA Vacations packages (like partner airline tickets) will earn EQD, EQM, and RDM/AW based on the distance flown as determined by the fare class purchased. This is in accordance with the "Special Fares" section of the new EQD earnings pages, and confirmed here

EQD requirements will apply to non-US residents as well as US as currently exists

EQD requirements can be partially offset by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red or Silver cards.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM as reflected on charts on aa.com; EQD credit to be announced (15 Jul 2016)

Status: AA has no current plans to add "Lifetime Platinum Pro" status.

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees)

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete qualifying segment credited by AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

For links to new threads about these and other recent changes affecting AA flyers, see below.

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Link to Andy's take on the Award Miles earning changes on View From the Boarding Area.

Links to useful threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

HELP DESK: Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM Calculations & Planning 2017

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ (aa.com)
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link)

Link to FT thread: What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Link to FT thread: oneworld not requiring connecting protection or interline baggage 1 Jun 2016

Link to ARCHIVE: "Speculation about upcoming changes tba 6 Jun 2016"

Updated 6 Jan 2012 - JDiver

Print Wikipost

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:59 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The AA terms prohibit it, but this does not mean that there is enforcement of it by other companies
JonNYC seems to have an opinion that is quite different from yours.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27289444-post1837.html

And I'm inclined to agree with that opinion. It would most certainly be a different story if I were seeking upgrades with my stickers on a ticket that's being credited to BA. Obviously, I cannot do that even if I wanted to. I think that's the activity that the T+Cs are trying to prevent.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by uxb
BA offers you the ability to credit to BA and add your other FF number for elite benefits.
I hadn't seen that. Guess I need to look again. Or is it only done by calling them?
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Can I ask a stupid question? As a plat I thought beginning August 1st I would be earning "x" amount of reward miles per flight based on the $$ spend if that ticket. Well since 8/1 I looked at my account summary and see I was given 60% bonus, not "x" miles per USD.

What gives?
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by enviroian
Can I ask a stupid question? As a plat I thought beginning August 1st I would be earning "x" amount of reward miles per flight based on the $$ spend if that ticket. Well since 8/1 I looked at my account summary and see I was given 60% bonus, not "x" miles per USD.

What gives?
The base earning is 5 miles per $
As a Platinum member there is a 60% bonus on top of that
This gives an effective earning of 8 miles per $
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The base earning is 5 miles per $
As a Platinum member there is a 60% bonus on top of that
This gives an effective earning of 8 miles per $
So for a $400 fare phx-ORD wouldn't that mean 3200 bonus miles?
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:35 pm

So for a $400 fare phx-ORD wouldn't that mean 3200 bonus miles?
Assuming that earning for that journey is on fare

$400 ( excluding taxes ) should give 2000 base
Bonus 60% of 2000 is 1200

Total should be 2000+1200 = 3200 ( which is equivalent to 8 miles per USD )
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by uxb
JonNYC seems to have an opinion that is quite different from yours.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27289444-post1837.html

And I'm inclined to agree with that opinion. It would most certainly be a different story if I were seeking upgrades with my stickers on a ticket that's being credited to BA. Obviously, I cannot do that even if I wanted to. I think that's the activity that the T+Cs are trying to prevent.
In 2017, I plan on cherry-picking a few 2-segment YUP one-way fares and shoving the credit over to BA so I can make BA Silver (take a BA WT+ trip late in the year for my 4 BA segments and last 190 tier points). Doing so will save me having to have an AC membership.

Is the AA web site smart enough to let me do that, or am i going to have to buy my tickets from a third party such as Expedia?
Old Oct 8, 2016, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
In 2017, I plan on cherry-picking a few 2-segment YUP one-way fares and shoving the credit over to BA so I can make BA Silver (take a BA WT+ trip late in the year for my 4 BA segments and last 190 tier points). Doing so will save me having to have an AC membership.

Is the AA web site smart enough to let me do that, or am i going to have to buy my tickets from a third party such as Expedia?
As long as you are not logged into your AA account and do not add the AA number, there is no reason why it should be an issue

Be aware that a reasonable rumour exists that says that AA will be using business class booking codes for the premium cabin on 2 class services within the USA, so might be worth ensuring that these flights are done before then so as to get 1st class earning rather than the quite a but lower business class earning
Old Oct 8, 2016, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming that earning for that journey is on fare
But that's the whole point of my question. I thought beginning August 1st reward miles were based on what fare you paid.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 6:56 am

But that's the whole point of my question. I thought beginning August 1st reward miles were based on what fare you paid.
I wasn't sure what the point was. The bonus would not be 3200 , the total would be 3200

In the details of the earning , there is an indicatot of "fare" or of "distance". Generally for AA flights, the use of "fare" should be expected, though in some cases ( such as special fares or where fare could not be determined) it will credit on "distance". The earning table for this is at https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp
Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:27 am

Be aware that a reasonable rumour exists that says that AA will be using business class booking codes for the premium cabin on 2 class services within the USA, so might be worth ensuring that these flights are done before then so as to get 1st class earning rather than the quite a but lower business class earning
Am I missing something? AA has for some time treated First and Business the same when it comes to EQM and RDM earning. What does matter, as of Jan 2016, is whether it's full or discount. F, J is in one earning group; A, P, D, I, R is in a second.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Am I missing something? AA has for some time treated First and Business the same when it comes to EQM and RDM earning. What does matter, as of Jan 2016, is whether it's full or discount. F, J is in one earning group; A, P, D, I, R is in a second.
It matters in relation to the poster's intention to credit domestic 1st class flights to BA. 1st class tier point earning is 50% higher than that for business class when crediting to BA

If AA changes the booking classes such that it is a business class booking class, the earnings may well drop when credited to BA

On a flight > 2000 miles, crediting to BA, tier point earning is from 20 points ( for G, Q, N, O, S class ) through to 140 for business class ( J,D,I,R ) and 210 for 1st class (F,P,A) . taking the flights to credit to BA before a potential 33% reduction in earning points towards status would seem to be a worthwhile consideration

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 8, 2016 at 3:07 pm
Old Oct 8, 2016, 1:16 pm
Suspended

...Be aware that a reasonable rumour exists that says that AA will be using business class booking codes for the premium cabin on 2 class services within the USA, so might be worth ensuring that these flights are done before then so as to get 1st class earning rather than the quite a but lower business class earning

details here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...e-coded-j.html
Old Oct 8, 2016, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn't matter for AAdvantage. It does for BAEC. It may for other partner programs as well.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Yes, and my point was that "recoded as J" has no effect on earnings, at least not on AA. But I failed to consider crediting to BA. so that answers my question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.