Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

View Poll Results: The AAdvantage changes announced 6 Jun 2016 will
incentivize me to fly AA more, as I benefit overall
3.55%
cause me to buy premium over discount AA fares
3.42%
not impact my travel on AA in the balance
16.82%
make me choose AA or a competitor, depending on itinerary
23.78%
make me become an independent agent
29.04%
cause me to join another airline's FF program
23.39%
Voters: 761. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Changes Announced 6 Jun 2016 - REACTION, DISCUSSION

This thread is dedicated to "REACTION, DISCUSSION" of the changes announced June 6, 2016.

For "JUST THE FACTS", please use JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Summary of changes:

aa.com: Unknown but intended: aa.com updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.
Aug 2016:

Change to earning Award / Redeemable Miles to revenue based begins (see FT thread)

Bonus award miles "More Miles" for premium cabin discontinued

For travel beginning August 1, 2016

Earn award miles based on your ticket price and elite status on American-marketed flights.

You earn miles on the base fare plus carrier-imposed fees minus government-imposed taxes and fees. The more you spend (and the higher your elite status level) the more youll earn.
  • AAdvantage member 5 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Gold member 7 miles for every U.S. dollar (40% bonus)
  • Platinum member 8 miles for every U.S. dollar (60% bonus)
  • Platinum Pro - 9 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Executive Platinum member 11 miles for every U.S. dollar (120% bonus)
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you'll earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Rates will be available by July 15.

NOTE: this also pertains to "special fares", such as those purchased through AA Vacations. (not AA language)

1 Jan 2017:

Status earning to have EQM/EQS criteria AND "EQD" revenue spend requirement

In addition to the (same as 2016) required EQM or EQS, to earn status one will have to also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"EQDs will be awarded based on:

Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights

EQD calculations will not include change fees and similar (premium seats, baggage, etc.) charges.

Q. Do checked bag fees, seat purchases, 500-mile upgrades or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs?

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked baggage fees, Admirals Club memberships, Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Thanks to ty97.)
Flights marketed by oneworld carriers and Alaska Airlines will earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased (as may "special fares" - not AA language)

NOTE: EQD offset may be earned by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver cards (added language not from AA)

With the addition of EQDs, well remove the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status."
New EQD requirement
  • Gold - $3,000
  • Platinum - $6,000
  • Platinum Pro - $9,000 (beginning 1/1/17)
  • Executive Platinum - $12,000
Elimination of four AA marketed EQS requirement

NOTE: Concierge Key is treated as a higher status tier than Executive Platinum for upgrade Priority, but is not otherwise an AAdvantage status tier.

Change from three status tiers to four - new 75K "Platinum Pro" added

"In 2017 you can start earning toward a new level, Platinum Pro, with benefits like:
  • Complimentary upgrades on flights in 500-mile upgrade markets
  • Earn 9 award miles/U.S. dollar (80% bonus)
  • 2 free checked bags
  • oneworld Sapphire status
  • 72 hour upgrade window
NOTE: Platinum upgrade window goes from 72 to 48 hours; Concierge Key upgrade window is 120 hours.

February 2017

Introduction of highly restricted AA Basic Economy fares. FT link.

These will accrue 0.5 EQM, 0.5 EQS, will not permit rollaboard size / overhead baggage (only one personal item) unless you have status, no upgrades permitted, etc.

"Late" 2017:

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

"The way your upgrade request is prioritized will change later in 2017. Youll be listed according to your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months."
EP, and within EP by EQD spend in last 12 month period; PlatPro, ditto, and on to Platinum, Gold. For both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Executive Platinums able to upgrade MC / coach award flight (On flights 500 mile upgrades are usable, courtesy upgrades; priority within EP by last 12 month EQD spend).

"Starting later in 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."

Peripheral issues:

AA Vacations: AA Vacations packages (like partner airline tickets) will earn EQD, EQM, and RDM/AW based on the distance flown as determined by the fare class purchased. This is in accordance with the "Special Fares" section of the new EQD earnings pages, and confirmed here

EQD requirements will apply to non-US residents as well as US as currently exists

EQD requirements can be partially offset by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red or Silver cards.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM as reflected on charts on aa.com; EQD credit to be announced (15 Jul 2016)

Status: AA has no current plans to add "Lifetime Platinum Pro" status.

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees)

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete qualifying segment credited by AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

For links to new threads about these and other recent changes affecting AA flyers, see below.

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Link to Andy's take on the Award Miles earning changes on View From the Boarding Area.

Links to useful threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

HELP DESK: Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM Calculations & Planning 2017

AAdvantage earning estimates - FAQ (aa.com)
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link)

Link to FT thread: What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Link to FT thread: oneworld not requiring connecting protection or interline baggage 1 Jun 2016

Link to ARCHIVE: "Speculation about upcoming changes tba 6 Jun 2016"

Updated 6 Jan 2012 - JDiver

Print Wikipost

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:25 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Have no fear that AA is the stand out worst for elites.

Scott Kirby has arrived at United, getting ready to destroy Mileage Plus next.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
This just accelerates my plans to get to 2MM and quit the game; as long as they don't screw THAT up in the next 15 months or so, I'm good.

I've got 1.86MM right now, and 67,000 miles booked through next march. The annoying thing is that if I want to get to 2MM next year I will also have more than enough EQM to get a 3rd year of EXP in a row, but probably only enough EQD to make PLT (maybe Pro, depending on how much of that is work travel, but probably not.) Annoyingly, CX PEY -- which is great from a EQM perspective and even better from an EQD one -- is the least total MM miles.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Have no fear that AA is the stand out worst for elites.
Scott Kirby has arrived at United, getting ready to destroy Mileage Plus next.
Meanwhile, according The Street, AA revenue passenger miles dropped 2.8% this August from a year ago to 20.4 billion.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by nkedel
This just accelerates my plans to get to 2MM and quit the game; as long as they don't screw THAT up in the next 15 months or so, I'm good.

I've got 1.86MM right now, and 67,000 miles booked through next march. The annoying thing is that if I want to get to 2MM next year I will also have more than enough EQM to get a 3rd year of EXP in a row, but probably only enough EQD to make PLT (maybe Pro, depending on how much of that is work travel, but probably not.) Annoyingly, CX PEY -- which is great from a EQM perspective and even better from an EQD one -- is the least total MM miles.
I'm at just over 1.91 MM and doing the same. At least with PLT (assuming no changes to the MM program) I'll have MCE, an occassional upgrade and OW lounge access on International. Not sure what my work future looks like. It seems though more and more some travel is being replaced by video on demand. From November through late May when the weather is great in South Florida (no humidity warm without being hot) doing weekend MRs to places like Chicago make no sense.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:50 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Alex_I
Meanwhile, according The Street, AA revenue passenger miles dropped 2.8% this August from a year ago to 20.4 billion.
Tied to the AAdvantage changes?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by uxb
Tied to the AAdvantage changes?
I really doubt the AAdvantage changes were the driving forces in the lower YOY numbers.

More LCC competition, bad on-time performance (esp. in particular hubs), changes in the FFP, out-dated PMUS planes... all these things would lead me away from AA if I was the "average consumer".
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:42 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by econometrics
I really doubt the AAdvantage changes were the driving forces in the lower YOY numbers.

More LCC competition, bad on-time performance (esp. in particular hubs), changes in the FFP, out-dated PMUS planes... all these things would lead me away from AA if I was the "average consumer".
Well, I flew an LUS plane from YYZ to DCA earlier this morning, and it was amazing how small and cramped the ride was compared with the MQ fleet. The PMUS planes need to be tossed into the ocean. They all smell like type-2 diabeetus as well.

P. S. That filth costs 27% more than the JJ flight I took to get to YYZ in C.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
The PMUS planes need to be tossed into the ocean. They all smell like type-2 diabeetus as well.
Lol, this is extremely accurate. Flying a PMUS Airbus really does give credence to calling them ScAirbus.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by NovaEngr
Assuming there is no EQD waiver for CC, a big loser is the Barclays Aviator Silver card (the old US card). The primary benefit of that cards $195 annual fee is the 10K EQM issued for $40K calendar year spend.

Come 2017, I suspect the critical path for earning status for many will be the EQD requirement, not the EQM. Absent some relief from the EQD requirement (even just partial relief proportionate to the 10K EQM), paying the annual fee is likely not worth it. With the Citi card, the Admirals Club membership pretty much pays the fee with the EQM on top of that.

My card anniversary and fee comes due early in the year, so I will know the situation before I pay for another year. I feel for Silver cardholders who have to decide now whether to pay the $195 not knowing what will happen in 2017 regarding the EQM waiver. It sure seems like it is not going to happen.
You cannot get worse than just using PQDs as the major factor of status qualification. AA could just throw EQM/EQS to the toilet even, but I would definitely not touch any AA flights if that is the case. I am already looking past EAUs now, except booking AA award flights for EAUs later next year. I will do my best not to credit any AA flights into AAdvantage, except possibly the eVIP-upgraded flights. Would hope every AA flight to go into IRROPs, then I get rebooked into OneWorld partners or even any partners. AA's IRROPs system is not that bad after all.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Alex_I
Isn't this an improvement vs the YOY change in the prior months. Thought they were running down like 4-5%. Maybe I have my number all mixed up!
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by uxb
Well, I flew an LUS plane from YYZ to DCA earlier this morning, and it was amazing how small and cramped the ride was compared with the MQ fleet. The PMUS planes need to be tossed into the ocean. They all smell like type-2 diabeetus as well.

P. S. That filth costs 27% more than the JJ flight I took to get to YYZ in C.
Lol, this is extremely accurate. Flying a PMUS Airbus really does give credence to calling them ScAirbus.
Maybe it depends which specific aircraft, and class of service we are talking about ... ?

Recently flew (a) old LAA 767 in F, with reclining seats, ~7 hours; (b) refurbished LAA 767 in F, with lie flat seats, ~7 hours; (c) refurbished LAA 772 with lie flat seats in J, ~7 hours; and ... wait for it ... (d) LUS A332 with lie flat seats in J, ~7 hours. And the answer is: (d), and it's not even close -- much more roomier.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Maybe it depends which specific aircraft, and class of service we are talking about ... ?

Recently flew (a) old LAA 767 in F, with reclining seats, ~7 hours; (b) refurbished LAA 767 in F, with lie flat seats, ~7 hours; (c) refurbished LAA 772 with lie flat seats in J, ~7 hours; and ... wait for it ... (d) LUS A332 with lie flat seats in J, ~7 hours. And the answer is: (d), and it's not even close -- much more roomier.
Right. A330 PMUS fleet is great. Everything else. Oy.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: American Executive Platinum, One World Emerald, IC Royal Ambassador
Not necessarily. I'm actually spending more to book discount J or PY fares so far. This vs just a RT discount Y ticket with SWU upgrades on the AA legs across the Pond.

Eg I used to always fly DFW-LHR-JNB on an AA ticket in discounts Y and use SWUs on the AA metal, then cash upgrade to WT+ on BA. Now I'm booking on BA in J or WT+ and using Avios to upgrade.

But yes, EQM is not the qualification amount I'm concerned with. Now I want to boost my EQD as much as I can to give me top spots on the UG list. Partner flying long haul on discount premium fares is the way to go. 👍🏼
Can you tell me more specifically about how you do this? When you book on BA, do you enter your AA number? If so, how do you use your Avios points? Or are you booking BA metal through AA? (Can you use Avios then?) Sorry to be a newbie on this, but I am desperately looking for ways to accomplish just what you have. I need affordable business class fares to buy outright as opposed to buying AA economy and then upgrading. Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Still no credit card waiver announcement yet? That's pathetic
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
Still no credit card waiver announcement yet? That's pathetic
Exactly. Hard to believe they haven't forged an agreement with the banks. The silence is telling. I'm doing my bit - spend now completely off their platinum card. About $35k/yr will get me more value elsewhere. If anything, their delay has worked in my favor and got me off the blocks early. As I've started shopping my flights I couldn't help notice how expensive my loyalty to AA has been.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.