Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: The AAdvantage changes announced 6 Jun 2016 will
incentivize me to fly AA more, as I benefit overall
3.55%
cause me to buy premium over discount AA fares
3.42%
not impact my travel on AA in the balance
16.82%
make me choose AA or a competitor, depending on itinerary
23.78%
make me become an independent agent
29.04%
cause me to join another airline's FF program
23.39%
Voters: 761. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Changes Announced 6 Jun 2016 - REACTION, DISCUSSION

This thread is dedicated to "REACTION, DISCUSSION" of the changes announced June 6, 2016.

For "JUST THE FACTS", please use JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Summary of changes:

aa.com: Unknown but intended: aa.com updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.
Aug 2016:

Change to earning Award / Redeemable Miles to revenue based begins (see FT thread)

Bonus award miles "More Miles" for premium cabin discontinued

For travel beginning August 1, 2016

Earn award miles based on your ticket price and elite status on American-marketed flights.

You earn miles on the base fare plus carrier-imposed fees minus government-imposed taxes and fees. The more you spend (and the higher your elite status level) the more you’ll earn.
  • AAdvantage® member – 5 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Gold member – 7 miles for every U.S. dollar (40% bonus)
  • Platinum member – 8 miles for every U.S. dollar (60% bonus)
  • Platinum Pro - 9 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Executive Platinum member – 11 miles for every U.S. dollar (120% bonus)
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you'll earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Rates will be available by July 15.

NOTE: this also pertains to "special fares", such as those purchased through AA Vacations. (not AA language)

1 Jan 2017:

Status earning to have EQM/EQS criteria AND "EQD" revenue spend requirement

In addition to the (same as 2016) required EQM or EQS, to earn status one will have to also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"EQDs will be awarded based on:

Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights

EQD calculations will not include change fees and similar (premium seats, baggage, etc.) charges.

Q. Do checked bag fees, seat purchases, 500-mile upgrades or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs?

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships, Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Thanks to ty97.)
Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers and Alaska Airlines will earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased (as may "special fares" - not AA language)

NOTE: EQD offset may be earned by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver cards (added language not from AA)

With the addition of EQDs, we’ll remove the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status."
New EQD requirement
  • Gold - $3,000
  • Platinum - $6,000
  • Platinum Pro - $9,000 (beginning 1/1/17)
  • Executive Platinum - $12,000
Elimination of four AA marketed EQS requirement

NOTE: Concierge Key is treated as a higher status tier than Executive Platinum for upgrade Priority, but is not otherwise an AAdvantage status tier.

Change from three status tiers to four - new 75K "Platinum Pro" added

"In 2017 you can start earning toward a new level, Platinum Pro, with benefits like:
  • Complimentary upgrades on flights in 500-mile upgrade markets
  • Earn 9 award miles/U.S. dollar (80% bonus)
  • 2 free checked bags
  • oneworld® Sapphire status
  • 72 hour upgrade window
NOTE: Platinum upgrade window goes from 72 to 48 hours; Concierge Key upgrade window is 120 hours.

February 2017

Introduction of highly restricted AA Basic Economy fares. FT link.

These will accrue 0.5 EQM, 0.5 EQS, will not permit rollaboard size / overhead baggage (only one personal item) unless you have status, no upgrades permitted, etc.

"Late" 2017:

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

"The way your upgrade request is prioritized will change later in 2017. You’ll be listed according to your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months."
EP, and within EP by EQD spend in last 12 month period; PlatPro, ditto, and on to Platinum, Gold. For both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Executive Platinums able to upgrade MC / coach award flight (On flights 500 mile upgrades are usable, courtesy upgrades; priority within EP by last 12 month EQD spend).

"Starting later in 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."

Peripheral issues:

AA Vacations: AA Vacations packages (like partner airline tickets) will earn EQD, EQM, and RDM/AW based on the distance flown as determined by the fare class purchased. This is in accordance with the "Special Fares" section of the new EQD earnings pages, and confirmed here

EQD requirements will apply to non-US residents as well as US as currently exists

EQD requirements can be partially offset by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red or Silver cards.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM as reflected on charts on aa.com; EQD credit to be announced (15 Jul 2016)

Status: AA has no current plans to add "Lifetime Platinum Pro" status.

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees)

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete qualifying segment credited by AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

For links to new threads about these and other recent changes affecting AA flyers, see below.

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Link to Andy's take on the Award Miles earning changes on View From the Boarding Area.

Links to useful threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

HELP DESK: Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM Calculations & Planning 2017

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ (aa.com)
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link)

Link to FT thread: What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Link to FT thread: oneworld not requiring connecting protection or interline baggage 1 Jun 2016

Link to ARCHIVE: "Speculation about upcoming changes tba 6 Jun 2016"

Updated 6 Jan 2012 - JDiver

Print Wikipost

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I would tend to think that the $5K EXPers were a very small minority and not an overburden on AA. However, I think it was in the grand scheme that the best of rewards should be bestowed on the paxs providing the greatest amount of revenue, not necessarily patronage. Still, the fact that AA will still require 100K miles in flying tells me AA is just not interested in flyers that might do a few long haul trips in J or F and be able to match the $12K spend requirement.
- It would be rather irrational to spend $5K just to hop the lounges and dine on AA planes. One can do a much better wine and dine on that budget. I am not even bringing up that most what AA serves on planes is of mediocre cafeteria quality. The "grand scheme" of AA was to decrease amount of miles given away for flying so they would sell more directly to public and CC companies. EQD is an an "idea" to squeeze the most frequent customers (presumably with spending accounts) to pony even more money for AA tickets.

At the business end, the only thing that matters is the revenue per seat. Only time would tell.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- It would be rather irrational to spend $5K just to hop the lounges and dine on AA planes. One can do a much better wine and dine on that budget. I am not even bringing up that most what AA serves on planes is of mediocre cafeteria quality. The "grand scheme" of AA was to decrease amount of miles given away for flying so they would sell more directly to public and CC companies. EQD is an an "idea" to squeeze the most frequent customers (presumably with spending accounts) to pony even more money for AA tickets.

At the business end, the only thing that matters is the revenue per seat. Only time would tell.
This. The whole revenue based approach is meant to do two things. One, to reduce the amount of outstanding RDMs (creates a liability without an equivalent cash offset) on the balance sheet and two, to incent corporate fliers to spend more than they need to in order to secure elite privileges (presumably to bolster yield).

The first goal is clearly being achieved. They are issuing WAY fewer RDMs than they used to for flying activity. I fly a mix of F and Y fares and it doesn't matter what fare I am on domestically, I almost always earn less than I used to. The only exception was a recent AUS-EWR-AUS in F.

The second goal may or may not be met, but I am certain that outside of a very small group of fliers, these revenue programs are causing the airline more harm than good. Loyalty has been eroded to a point where non-elites now simply shop and pay what's most convenient, and elites do the bare minimum necessary and THEN go shop. Many don't take trips they used to take, which means capacity swings will be slightly more severe than in the past. The whole raison d'etre for these programs ha been killed off.

It may not yet be apparent but in the next major recession, these airlines will regret the changes they made unless they have incentives ready to go on the shelf that at least temporarily restore old benefit earning levels.

If they are not ready, capacity cuts of epic proportions will be necessary.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I think it's been said before, but while these changes may "create true loyalty based on spend" and put them equal to UA and DL, that also means they're directly competing with their hard and soft product instead of their FF. And who can genuinely say that THAT drives them to AA? The only ones for whom AA has a clear edge is those that don't care about FF miles and where AA has the best routing or the best price.

And if that's enough to keep profits rolling in is something we'll see, because the new AA doesn't so much reward "loyalty", it just rewards kayaking.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Something the airlines know that I don't is what proportion of miles flown are (were) coming from elites -- and, of these, how many were from potentially price-non-sensitive corporate types and how many were from grifters like me.

As I get acclimated to the idea of flying less -- a lot less -- I reflect on how necessary (to my mind) the elite benefits were (are) to making flying palatable. Point being: Without them (i.e., given the ambient horribleness of garden-variety AA air travel), even low fares don't tempt me that much. Maybe that's just me.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Something the airlines know that I don't is what proportion of miles flown are (were) coming from elites -- and, of these, how many were from potentially price-non-sensitive corporate types and how many were from grifters like me.

As I get acclimated to the idea of flying less -- a lot less -- I reflect on how necessary (to my mind) the elite benefits were (are) to making flying palatable. Point being: Without them (i.e., given the ambient horribleness of garden-variety AA air travel), even low fares don't tempt me that much. Maybe that's just me.
Fully agreed. Quite the opposite. I have never really mileage run, but I will only fly now if I have to (work) or if I want to go on vacation with the family. If that's what I am planning to do, I am shopping the daylights out of those flights....
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
The second goal may or may not be met, but I am certain that outside of a very small group of fliers, these revenue programs are causing the airline more harm than good. Loyalty has been eroded to a point where non-elites now simply shop and pay what's most convenient, and elites do the bare minimum necessary and THEN go shop. Many don't take trips they used to take, which means capacity swings will be slightly more severe than in the past. The whole raison d'etre for these programs ha been killed off.
- Exactly! I flew about 50K all business miles during last two months just to get over 150K EQM to receive 2 more SWUs. Right now I have no upcoming reservations with AA. I did not change my job and I will still travel extensively but I am shopping around and trying different airlines just for fun - and I am treated very well by other airlines when paying for J and F. Finally, I just cancelled my AAdvantage Citibank card - no needs for more of the devalued AA "currency". I guess this is not what AA had in mind when changing AAdvantage after 35 years running.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:43 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- Exactly! I flew about 50K all business miles during last two months just to get over 150K EQM to receive 2 more SWUs. Right now I have no upcoming reservations with AA. I did not change my job and I will still travel extensively but I am shopping around and trying different airlines just for fun - and I am treated very well by other airlines when paying for J and F. Finally, I just cancelled my AAdvantage Citibank card - no needs for more of the devalued AA "currency". I guess this is not what AA had in mind when changing AAdvantage after 35 years running.
Your not alone. In addition to curtailing my 'why not' weekend getaways, I am even declining my optional business trips. AA took away the 'compensation' I received for being out of town and traveling on my time.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Your not alone. In addition to curtailing my 'why not' weekend getaways, I am even declining my optional business trips. AA took away the 'compensation' I received for being out of town and traveling on my time.
Likewise, my next two trips to the USA are with Swiss First and Virgin Atlantic Upper Class.

Being based in the UK (but visiting the USA frequently due to family) I have only ever flown with American (or BA on an AA codeshare) when visiting the USA. By the end of next month I'll have flown all three US Legacy carriers.

Not sure if this is the behaviour AA (and the others) were aiming to promote, but I'm certainly not complaining. I am not actively avoiding American, but flying them is not the foregone conclusion that it once was.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by rrgg
It was not the same. UA considers credit card spending as part of the threshold, since they also profit from that, maybe even more so.
Could you please explain the reasoning behind this statement in more detail? Exactly how does an airline profit from credit card spending? Sure they may sell the bank more miles (at a greatly reduced rate), but also have the liability of the outstanding miles and redemptions. Is there some other revenue stream for the airline from credit card spend that is less apparent (like a commission or part of the annual fee)?

I have been sincerely struggling to figure out what is in it for the airline in offering credit toward status based on credit card spend, but honestly have not been able to understand the economics from the company's viewpoint. Explanation of your statement would really help to clear this up for me.

Thanks
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
(1)Does EQD count begin on 1/1/17; if yes, will AA show your total-to-date?
(2)For complimentary (EXP) domestic upgrades: of EQD, date of request, which prioritizes the ranking on the upgrade list?
(3)Are domestic upgrades (comped or sticker) still prioritized by rank (EXP>PLAT-PRO>PLAT>GOLD) or does EQD trump everyone?
Hypothetical: a pax with NO rank, via his company, purchases a $12,500 ticket, on his NEXT flight (using paid stickers) would he trump an EXP for an upg [assuming both made their upg requests at the SAME time]?
In the hypothetical, it seems the no status passenger has not yet started his $12,500 journey. Obviously no eqd has as of yet been credited (like miles it credits as/when flown, not when purchased), so he would also rank at the bottom within his (no)status tier
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
In 2017 until EQD is fully in place, what will be the upg prioritization
It continues as it is currently. Generally by status level and then by timestamp within status tier.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
If that's what I am planning to do, I am shopping the daylights out of those flights....
Same. I have spent an unhealthy amount of time on Google Flights booking my first 4 trips of 2017 the past month. Whereas before, I would have just went to AA.com and bough the ticket, applied 2 of my 8 SWUs and moved on. Not any more. Now I'm actively monitoring BA/QR prices in discount J to see how I can navigate around flying on AA and using my precious 4 SWU's.

So far, I have booked 4 longhaul R/Ts for early 2017 without using my SWUs. Because I've been creatively avoiding AA by booking on partners for confirmed J seats... all giving me EXP status much faster than if I had flow those flights on AA via more EQD and basically the same EQM.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics
Same. ... all giving me EXP status much faster than if I had flow those flights on AA via more EQD and basically the same EQM.
You are, depending on partner airline, taking at least a 25% hit on EQM..so not quite the same. Nonetheless a great trade-off for more EQD, which is in some cases more difficult/expensive to acquire.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by rens
You are, depending on partner airline, taking at least a 25% hit on EQM..so not quite the same. Nonetheless a great trade-off for more EQD, which is in some cases more difficult/expensive to acquire.
Not necessarily. I'm actually spending more to book discount J or PY fares so far. This vs just a RT discount Y ticket with SWU upgrades on the AA legs across the Pond.

Eg I used to always fly DFW-LHR-JNB on an AA ticket in discounts Y and use SWUs on the AA metal, then cash upgrade to WT+ on BA. Now I'm booking on BA in J or WT+ and using Avios to upgrade.

But yes, EQM is not the qualification amount I'm concerned with. Now I want to boost my EQD as much as I can to give me top spots on the UG list. Partner flying long haul on discount premium fares is the way to go. 👍🏼
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:17 am

Programs: LH HON
Our schedule for 2017 has just been released, and based on the bookings I'll secure EXP by end of February 2017. I've just had a scheduled client visit and got awarded with 20% more RDM than usual, which basically nullifies the increases miles necessary for award bookings.

With AA now serving LAX-HKG, we've seen a price decline for CX as well. It's win/win for us right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.