Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Changes Announced 6 Jun 2016 - JUST THE FACTS

This thread is dedicated to "JUST THE FACTS" about the changes announced June 6, 2016.

For discussion of impact, reactions, etc. please use REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Summary of changes:

aa.com: Unknown but intended: aa.com updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.
Aug 2016:

Change to earning Award / Redeemable Miles to revenue based begins (see FT thread

Bonus award miles "More Miles" for premium cabin discontinued

For travel beginning August 1, 2016

Earn award miles based on your ticket price and elite status on American-marketed flights.

You earn miles on the base fare plus carrier-imposed fees minus government-imposed taxes and fees. The more you spend (and the higher your elite status level) the more you’ll earn.
  • AAdvantage® member – 5 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Gold member – 7 miles for every U.S. dollar (40% bonus)
  • Platinum member – 8 miles for every U.S. dollar (60% bonus)
  • Platinum Pro - 9 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Executive Platinum member – 11 miles for every U.S. dollar (120% bonus)
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you'll earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Rates will be available by July 15.

NOTE: this also pertains to "special fares", such as those purchased through AA Vacations. (not AA language)

Domestic First cabin fares recoded 12 Nov 2016

Also see AA 2 class Domestic US50 First re-coded as J, D, I, R, C Nov 12, 2016

1 Jan 2017:

Status earning to have EQM/EQS criteria AND "EQD" revenue spend requirement

In addition to the (same as 2016) required EQM or EQS, to earn status one will have to also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"EQDs will be awarded based on:

Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights

EQD calculations will not include change fees and similar (premium seats, baggage, etc.) charges.

Q. Do checked bag fees, seat purchases, 500-mile upgrades or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs?

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships, Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Thanks to ty97.)
Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers and Alaska Airlines will earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased (as may "special fares" - not AA language)

NOTE: EQD offset may be earned by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver cards (added language not from AA)

With the addition of EQDs, we’ll remove the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status."
New EQD requirement
  • Gold - $3,000
  • Platinum - $6,000
  • Platinum Pro - $9,000 (beginning 1/1/17)
  • Executive Platinum - $12,000
Elimination of four AA marketed EQS requirement

NOTE: Concierge Key is treated as a higher status tier than Executive Platinum for upgrade Priority, but is not otherwise an AAdvantage status tier.

Change from three status tiers to four - new 75K "Platinum Pro" added

"In 2017 you can start earning toward a new level, Platinum Pro, with benefits like:
  • Complimentary upgrades on flights within North America and between the U.S. and Central America
  • Earn 9 award miles/U.S. dollar (80% bonus)
  • 2 free checked bags
  • oneworld® Sapphire status
  • 72 hour upgrade window* (announced elsewhere)
NOTE: Platinum upgrade window goes from 72 to 48 hours; Concierge Key upgrade window is 120 hours.

February 2017

Introduction of highly restricted AA Basic Economy fares. FT link.

These will accrue 0.5 EQM, 0.5 EQS, will not permit rollaboard size / overhead baggage (only one personal item) unless you have status, no upgrades permitted, etc.

"Late" 2017:

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

"The way your upgrade request is prioritized will change later in 2017. You’ll be listed according to your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months."
EP, and within EP by EQD spend in last 12 month period; PlatPro, ditto, and on to Platinum, Gold. For both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Executive Platinums able to upgrade MC / coach award flight (On flights 500 mile upgrades are usable, courtesy upgrades; priority within EP by last 12 month EQD spend.

"Starting later in 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."

Peripheral issues:

AA Vacations: AA Vacations packages (like partner airline tickets) will earn EQD based on the distance flown as determined by the fare class purchased. This is in accordance with the "Special Fares" section of the new EQD earnings pages, and confirmed here

EQD requirements will apply to non-US residents as well as US as currently exists

EQD requirements can be partially offset by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red or Silver cards.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM as reflected on charts on aa.com; EQD credit to be announced (15 Jul 2016)

Status: AA has no current plans to add "Lifetime Platinum Pro" status.

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees)

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete qualifying segment credited by AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

For links to new threads about these and other recent changes affecting AA flyers, see below.

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Link to Andy's take on the Award Miles earning changes on View From the Boarding Area.

Links to useful threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

HELP DESK: Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM Calculations & Planning 2017

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ (aa.com)
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link

Link to FT thread: What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Link to FT thread: oneworld not requiring connecting protection or interline baggage 1 Jun 2016

Link to ARCHIVE: Speculation about upcoming changes tba 6 Jun 2016"

Updated 6 Jan 2012 - JDiver

Print Wikipost

JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by JohnAx
What dreamer imagines that AA's IT is up to keeping that number up to date for every elite member?
My thought exactly when I saw that!!!
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by carlosdca
NOT so interesting.
EXPs on award tickets will be last on the upgrade, list, as I read it.
Revenue tickets will be on the top of the upgrade list.

It's like a benefit that will never work out, for the most part. Nothing to be excited about.
You'll get that upgrade on the Saturday 4 pm flight that you couldn't get before, when you probably had an open middle next to you anyway.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Agreed. $3,000 for gold is both difficult to achieve for many and probably not even worth it. $6,000 for platinum is out of this world. I've been achieving it for around $2,000 for years now. But then American would clearly have none of my money than $2,000. I'll fly European, Asian and Middle Eastern airlines from now on.
I've been a Delta Silver for two years in a row now with the spend. If I take one international trip with them and then do the plurality of my flying, it's not that hard to spend $3000 or so. The good thing about Delta though is they have aggressive discounted F fares out of RDU so it makes it easier to fly them as a lower tier elite.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors DIA
Two recent tweets from AA answer a couple more things:

"We've just heard back, Eloy, and Platinum Pro will not be awarded for hitting a million mile threshold."

"We’re still evaluating the options related to EQD benefits as they relate to our cardholders."
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by upinsmoke
No, the priority will not be based on what you paid for that flight, but on the total EQDs for the last 12 months.
VFTW says that for award travel "upgrades will be prioritized within status tier, but below all other revenue tickets."
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Any idea if the money spent for fellow travelers (like my spouse) on the same itinerary will count towards my EQD's or each individual traveler?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:58 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PDXAA
Any idea if the money spent for fellow travelers (like my spouse) on the same itinerary will count towards my EQD's or each individual traveler?
Most likely no. DL and UA do not do it this way and I cannot see why AA would.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:00 pm

Ok sorry in advance because I'm sure this has been asked upthread, but I don't really want to scroll back thru and find it

Does anybody know when the cost for award tickets will change (i.e. go from mileage based to award mileage based), because I'm basically reading this as they are transitioning to a Southwest type award system

I've got a bunch of AAdvantage miles to use and I don't know if I should start booking stuff now or if that change isn't coming for awhile. I read thru their website but didnt find much, sorry if I'm missing anything
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Agreed. $3,000 for gold is both difficult to achieve for many and probably not even worth it. $6,000 for platinum is out of this world. I've been achieving it for around $2,000 for years now. But then American would clearly have none of my money than $2,000. I'll fly European, Asian and Middle Eastern airlines from now on.
The EQD rates work out to about 12 cents per mile, which makes it a wash at the following ticket prices (I'm using routes from DFW where I have the distance memorized, assuming Coach fares at 1.0 EQM. Idk how the fees/fare breaks down exactly, but assume another $40 on top):

$200 RT DFW-ORD
$300 RT DFW-LAX
$270 RT DFW DCA

Obviously no one is going to qualify for EXP flying the oft-cited $99 transcons anymore, but those fares are hardly out of line with the norm for those routes.

For those who value time at home/their destination, there's no longer any marginal benefit to booking DFW-PHX-LAX at $310 when DFW-LAX is $300.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by captaink
For those who value time at home/their destination, there's no longer any marginal benefit to booking DFW-PHX-LAX at $310 when DFW-LAX is $300.
There is still a marginal benefit because you still need 100k EQMs for EXP, and those extra miles may be needed,
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
I think this is great news for me. I travel mostly between SFO-LAX on AA. Avg ticket price I paid is $450 for last min tickets. That translate to only 2000 RDM right now. With the new program I (plat) earn $450 x 9 x 60% = 6480 RDM. That is pretty sweet. I will most likely make ExPlat this year so my earning will increase $450 x 11 x 120% = 10,890 RDM. Is my math correct?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by caimaster
I think this is great news for me. I travel mostly between SFO-LAX on AA. Avg ticket price I paid is $450 for last min tickets. That translate to only 2000 RDM right now. With the new program I (plat) earn $450 x 9 x 60% = 6480 RDM. That is pretty sweet. I will most likely make ExPlat this year so my earning will increase $450 x 11 x 120% = 10,890 RDM. Is my math correct?
No, the 5/8/9/11 etc multipliers already factored in the '%s'. It'll be $450 x 11 = 4950 RDM for an EXP, $450 x 5 = 2250 RDM for a nobody. The differential is your 120% bonus.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Phasers
There is still a marginal benefit because you still need 100k EQMs for EXP, and those extra miles may be needed,
Fair point. Tickets above the 12 CPM threshold can offset tickets that fall below it when it comes to earning status. From an RDM perspective though, it's minimal.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by caimaster
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
No, the 5/8/9/11 etc multipliers already factored in the '%s'. It'll be $450 x 11 = 4950 RDM for an EXP, $450 x 5 = 2250 RDM for a nobody. The differential is your 120% bonus.
Also keep in mind that the $450 if thats the total price includes taxes and govt fees that are not included in the calculation. Its just (base fare+carrier imposed fees)*11 for EXP.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Yes...as I calm down a bit the changes might actually be positive for me as a partner flyer in premium cabins. Gotta wait and see what the earning rates are, and RDM matters for me too.
I estimate the husband's annual partner spend to be in the 15K range. So I very much want to see those charts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.