Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Changes Announced 6 Jun 2016 - JUST THE FACTS

This thread is dedicated to "JUST THE FACTS" about the changes announced June 6, 2016.

For discussion of impact, reactions, etc. please use REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Summary of changes:

aa.com: Unknown but intended: aa.com updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.
Aug 2016:

Change to earning Award / Redeemable Miles to revenue based begins (see FT thread

Bonus award miles "More Miles" for premium cabin discontinued

For travel beginning August 1, 2016

Earn award miles based on your ticket price and elite status on American-marketed flights.

You earn miles on the base fare plus carrier-imposed fees minus government-imposed taxes and fees. The more you spend (and the higher your elite status level) the more you’ll earn.
  • AAdvantage® member – 5 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Gold member – 7 miles for every U.S. dollar (40% bonus)
  • Platinum member – 8 miles for every U.S. dollar (60% bonus)
  • Platinum Pro - 9 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Executive Platinum member – 11 miles for every U.S. dollar (120% bonus)
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you'll earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Rates will be available by July 15.

NOTE: this also pertains to "special fares", such as those purchased through AA Vacations. (not AA language)

Domestic First cabin fares recoded 12 Nov 2016

Also see AA 2 class Domestic US50 First re-coded as J, D, I, R, C Nov 12, 2016

1 Jan 2017:

Status earning to have EQM/EQS criteria AND "EQD" revenue spend requirement

In addition to the (same as 2016) required EQM or EQS, to earn status one will have to also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"EQDs will be awarded based on:

Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights

EQD calculations will not include change fees and similar (premium seats, baggage, etc.) charges.

Q. Do checked bag fees, seat purchases, 500-mile upgrades or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs?

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships, Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Thanks to ty97.)
Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers and Alaska Airlines will earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased (as may "special fares" - not AA language)

NOTE: EQD offset may be earned by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver cards (added language not from AA)

With the addition of EQDs, we’ll remove the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status."
New EQD requirement
  • Gold - $3,000
  • Platinum - $6,000
  • Platinum Pro - $9,000 (beginning 1/1/17)
  • Executive Platinum - $12,000
Elimination of four AA marketed EQS requirement

NOTE: Concierge Key is treated as a higher status tier than Executive Platinum for upgrade Priority, but is not otherwise an AAdvantage status tier.

Change from three status tiers to four - new 75K "Platinum Pro" added

"In 2017 you can start earning toward a new level, Platinum Pro, with benefits like:
  • Complimentary upgrades on flights within North America and between the U.S. and Central America
  • Earn 9 award miles/U.S. dollar (80% bonus)
  • 2 free checked bags
  • oneworld® Sapphire status
  • 72 hour upgrade window* (announced elsewhere)
NOTE: Platinum upgrade window goes from 72 to 48 hours; Concierge Key upgrade window is 120 hours.

February 2017

Introduction of highly restricted AA Basic Economy fares. FT link.

These will accrue 0.5 EQM, 0.5 EQS, will not permit rollaboard size / overhead baggage (only one personal item) unless you have status, no upgrades permitted, etc.

"Late" 2017:

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

"The way your upgrade request is prioritized will change later in 2017. You’ll be listed according to your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months."
EP, and within EP by EQD spend in last 12 month period; PlatPro, ditto, and on to Platinum, Gold. For both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Executive Platinums able to upgrade MC / coach award flight (On flights 500 mile upgrades are usable, courtesy upgrades; priority within EP by last 12 month EQD spend.

"Starting later in 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."

Peripheral issues:

AA Vacations: AA Vacations packages (like partner airline tickets) will earn EQD based on the distance flown as determined by the fare class purchased. This is in accordance with the "Special Fares" section of the new EQD earnings pages, and confirmed here

EQD requirements will apply to non-US residents as well as US as currently exists

EQD requirements can be partially offset by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red or Silver cards.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM as reflected on charts on aa.com; EQD credit to be announced (15 Jul 2016)

Status: AA has no current plans to add "Lifetime Platinum Pro" status.

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees)

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete qualifying segment credited by AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

For links to new threads about these and other recent changes affecting AA flyers, see below.

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Link to Andy's take on the Award Miles earning changes on View From the Boarding Area.

Links to useful threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

HELP DESK: Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM Calculations & Planning 2017

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ (aa.com)
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link

Link to FT thread: What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Link to FT thread: oneworld not requiring connecting protection or interline baggage 1 Jun 2016

Link to ARCHIVE: Speculation about upcoming changes tba 6 Jun 2016"

Updated 6 Jan 2012 - JDiver

Print Wikipost

JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Now that the playing field is level.... the real winner is??

The consumer. For me loyalty is now a thing of the past. I'll choose my flights going forward based on schedule, equipment, and fare. My priority will be comfort/hard product. AA needs to step up their game going forward now that UA has their new 1-2-1 hard product coming out. AA still has dinosaur 767's. (Been stuck on those, when I bought 1-2-1 configs three out of my last four flights). One new plane a week if its a 737 is meaningless. Hard domestic product is terrible at best.
So in the end, the merger bought us a year or so of the old ways.
With the A350's and 789's coming on line in the next few years on all carriers for me it will be all about the hard product and then the best schedule for me out of LAX.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:59 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I would expect that they'll treat AA Vacation packages like they intend to treat any other vacation packages, and award RDMs (and EQDs) based on distance flown and a multiplier. Hopefully we'll know those multipliers by 7/15, and hopefully they'll clarify whether AA Vacations bookings are treated differently from, say, Expedia vacation bookings.
My expectation (based on very little, really) is that AA Vacations packages might be treated differently as it is very easy to separate the cost of the air portion from the land portion (even if the breakdown within the air portion is not shown). Before purchase one has a choice (when logged in) to pay all cash or cash plus miles. Miles can only be used on the land portion. So, the use of the maximum number of miles means that ALL of the remaining cash portion is air, and air only.

Thus, it may be easier to disambiguate for AA Vacations packages versus others.

Now, whether they choose to do this or not is a different story.

Cheers.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Please clarify 2016 EQM earning

This information is probably already in this thread but I couldn't find it.
I'm currently at 55k EQM. If I earn another 45k EQM this year flying as usual, will I have achieved EXP again for another year?
In other words, do the changes after 8/1/16 and the issue of EQDs have any impact on requalifying for EXP this year?
Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by card1953
This information is probably already in this thread but I couldn't find it.
I'm currently at 55k EQM. If I earn another 45k EQM this year flying as usual, will I have achieved EXP again for another year?
In other words, do the changes after 8/1/16 and the issue of EQDs have any impact on requalifying for EXP this year?
Thanks for any help.
You will be EXP for all of 2017 if you fly 100K EQM this year, yes. There is no EQD requirement for FY2016 to earn status for 2017. The EQD requirement starts Jan 1, 2017.

The Aug 1, 2106 changes affect RDM.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by ashill
You have to book the flight with the AA code to earn according to the AA chart. It doesn't matter whether the flight has an available AA code if that's not what you booked.

For trans-Atlantic flights, the same fares are often but not always available with the BA, IB and AA codes. I have, on occasion, run into a case where a BA-operated trans-Atlantic flight was available with an AA code but only for a considerably higher price. For intra-Europe flights with no connection to the US, it is usually (always?) not possible to book the AA code; on most (all?) fares, the AA code requires a connection to the US (possibly with a stopover allowed).
Almost every time I look a BA metal flight is cheaper booked thru BA than booking with an AA codeshare.

These changes are making me rethink OW programs.

Is it possible to book AA flights with a BA code-share domestically? For example SJC-LAX with a BA flight number?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Thanks, that's what I thought

Originally Posted by econometrics
You will be EXP for all of 2017 if you fly 100K EQM this year, yes. There is no EQD requirement for FY2016 to earn status for 2017. The EQD requirement starts Jan 1, 2017.

Thanks that's what I thought. So I'll keep flying as usual this year, then decide whether to keep going in 2017.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics

I wish we could wait that long for the changes to be implemented
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by josmul123
I wish we could wait that long for the changes to be implemented
Lol, oops. Freudian-Slip wishful thinking there.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by sdix
Is it possible to book AA flights with a BA code-share domestically? For example SJC-LAX with a BA flight number?
Without an international connection? No. That would be illegal cabotage, I believe. And even if it's not cabotage, BA doesn't offer standalone domestic US flights.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Late to the party as a UA 1K lurker with a (now devaluated) AA Platinum status (AA targeted me with this comp).

It's about time that AA joins the 'real world' of mileage programs, pioneered by DL and seconded by UA ^

Glad to have UA MP as my primary program, although the AA Platinum comp comes in handy to get good seats for free on my occasional AA flights.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
Without an international connection? No. That would be illegal cabotage, I believe. And even if it's not cabotage, BA doesn't offer standalone domestic US flights.
Yeah that's what I thought.....
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL, GE, AAA
I am a new AA Advantage member. I recently lost my status at DL when they pulled the same switch.

My question is I am flying Business Class MCI-DFW-SYD on 22 July, returning on 6 August. Will I earn miles under the old format for the going and returning segments, or will I be under the old format for the going segment, and the new format for the return segment?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
They don't appear to actually state that EQD is earned when you fly rather than when you buy, but it's strongly implied. If so, how does the EQD get assigned to appropriate years when a ticket has outbound in Dec and return in Jan? Do you get EQDs for an outbound added to the running total used for upgrade ranking for the return?
Upon further reading, I see places where AA is more explicit that you earn EQD when you fly, not buy.

But my questions were still unanswered, so I tweeted @AA. They pointed me at the usual AAdvantage number. Needed to call CS about another matter anyway, so I asked. Agent said the question of cross-year itineraries didn't come up in their training, so she would ask and get back to me.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JAldrich73
I am a new AA Advantage member. I recently lost my status at DL when they pulled the same switch.

My question is I am flying Business Class MCI-DFW-SYD on 22 July, returning on 6 August. Will I earn miles under the old format for the going and returning segments, or will I be under the old format for the going segment, and the new format for the return segment?
Since they compute miles on each individual segment (MCI-DFW, DFW-SYD, etc) -- unless the segments share the flt# -- I'd expect them to handle each based on the rules in effect for that day.

The real interesting question would be, what if a segment was an overnight flight starting Jul 31 and ending Aug 01?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Since they compute miles on each individual segment (MCI-DFW, DFW-SYD, etc) -- unless the segments share the flt# -- I'd expect them to handle each based on the rules in effect for that day.

The real interesting question would be, what if a segment was an overnight flight starting Jul 31 and ending Aug 01?
For purposes of elite qualification, earned upgrades, and bonus offers, flights have always counted based on the departure date. I'd assume the same for this change, that a 7/31 departure would accrue under the old system, no matter when it landed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.