Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Assistance & Wheelchair for Passengers with Special Needs (master thd.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Services for Passengers With Disability
and Special Service Request Codes
AA: See Special assistance page on aa.com (link)

NOTE: For fitness to Fly issues (post-surgery, illness or contagious conditions, etc. see Fit / fitness to fly: illness, contagious condition, after surgery, etc. (master thd)

"Special assistance coordinators are available to help with medical or special-assistance related items during your travel. If you requested special assistance during booking, a special assistance coordinator will contact you before your flight to ensure necessary medical paperwork requirements or requests are complete."

Learn how to request special assistance during booking

Choose "special assistance required" when filling out your passenger details, there you can:
  • Request wheelchair service
  • Request individual assistance if you have a hearing, vision, cognitive or developmental disability
  • State if you’re traveling with any electric medical equipment or a service animal (notice is required within 48 hours of your flight)

How to contact special assistance

Call us: 800-433-7300 (Reservations) or 800-543-1586 (TDD reservations services)

Send us your request online:
Submit a disability assistance request (link)

How to contact American's disability team
Call us if you had a special-assistance issue on a previous trip: 800-892-3624

AA has some seats prioritized for passengers with disabilities and their travel companions.
AA can preboard those needing extra time or assistance.

SSR and OSI Field Use, Special Service Request Codes
from Annie Blog (link) to entire listing of OSI and SSR codes) instructions to agents. Most codes are IATA compliant, but airlines may use variants. This list may have had codes added since it was posted.

"Agents and carriers use the SSR and OSI fields for messaging with the airlines via teletype.

OSI is the acronym for Other Supplementary Information.
  • Use OSI messages (Other Supplementary Information) when you do not require action or a reply by the carrier.
  • They are low-priority messages and are usually used for information purpose only.
  • Cancel or removal of OSI messages do not generate to the carrier.

SSR is the acronym for Special Service Request.
  • Use SSR messages (Special Service Request) when you require an action or a reply to your request for these service items.
  • SSR requests can be the following and others:
  • Emergency Contact Information (PCTC)
  • INFT - Infant in a PNR
  • OTHS for CC Holder to Carriers
  • Passport Info (3PSPT)
  • Airline Passenger Information Secure Flight, APIS,-3DOCS, 3DOCO, 3DOCA // 4DOCA, PCTC
  • Special Meal Request
  • Unaccompanied Minor Information
  • Wheelchair Request
  • Weapon Advisory or Other Miscellaneous
Some pertinent codes for us:

BSCT: Bassinet

BULK: Bulky Baggage. (Note: You must specify Number, Weight, and Size)
CBBG: Cabin Baggage

CKIN: Provides information for airport personnel for passenger handling at departure time when no other SSR code applies. This entry does not require a reply.

EXST: Extra Seat (Note: Use this entry to request a second seat for one passenger; however, it is highly recommended that you contact the airline directly to make sure this format is acceptable. AA uses XTRASEAT.)

DPNA: Disabled Passenger Needing Assistance

FRAG: Fragile Baggage. (Note: You must specify Number, Weight, and Size)

FRAV: First Available Flight

LANG: Language (Note: Specify Languages Spoken)

MEDA: Medical Case

OTHS: Other Requests

SPML: Special Meals (further coded, e.g. VGML, DBML, etc.) (see below)

TWOV: Transit/transfer without Visa

Wheelchair codes:
  • WCHR: Wheelchair/Passenger can walk up stairs
  • WCHS: Wheelchair/Passenger can walk to seat
  • WCHC: Wheelchair/Passenger must be carried
  • WCBD: Wheelchair with Dry Cell Battery
  • WCBW: Wheelchair with Wet Cell Battery
  • WCMP: Wheelchair, manual power
  • WCOB: Wheelchair, On-Board
"

Special Meal / SPML codes (AA does NOT offer all this variety of meals)

Code:
IATA meal codes (link to source)

ALML - Allergen Meal
AVML - Asian Vegetarian Meal
BBML - Baby Meal
CAKE - Birthday Cake (on SAS)
BLML - Bland Meal
CHML - Children Meal
CLML - Celebration Cake Meal
DBML - Diabetic Meal
FPML - Fruit Platter Meal
GFML - Gluten Intolerant Meal
HFML - High Fibre Meal
HNML - Hindu Non-Vegetarian Meal
OBML - Japanese Obento Meal (on United Airlines)
JPML - Japanese Meal (on Japan Airlines)
JNML - Junior Meal
KSML - Kosher Meal
KSMLS - Kosher Meal (Snack)
LCML - Low Calorie Meal
LFML - Low Fat Meal
NBML - No Beef Meal (on China Airlines)
NFML - No Fish Meal (on Lufthansa)
NLML - No Lactose Meal
LPML - Low Protein Meal
PRML - Low Purin Meal
LSML - Low Salt Meal
MOML - Muslim Meal
ORML - Oriental Meal
PFML - Peanut Free Meal
RFML - Refugee Meal (on United Airlines)
SFML - Seafood Meal
SPML - Special Meal, Specify Food
VJML - Vegetarian Jain Meal
VLML - Vegetarian Lacto-ovo Meal
VOML - Vegetarian Oriental Meal
RVML - Vegetarian Raw Meal
VVML - Vegetarian Vegan Meal (some airlines require VGML)
Important note: When you add text to further define a generic SSR code such as OTHS, or SPML, use plain text. You can use a space between the words. Avoid special characters becausethe system returns the error message: INVALID FREE TEXT CHARACTERS. MODIFY AND RE-ENTER.NOT ENT BGNG WITH

Links

Special assistance page on aa.com (link)

Air Carrier Access Act of 1986 information from DisabilityTravel.com (applies, not Americans with Dissbilities Act) (link)

US Dept. of Transportation: 14 CFR Part 382, Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability in Air Travel (PDF) (link)

FlyerTalk Dissbility Travel forum (link)

Updated 12 Mar 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

AA Assistance & Wheelchair for Passengers with Special Needs (master thd.)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by dcman
Worse case buy a fully refundable ticket for a flight after your mom's then cancel it after she leaves.
Not the greatest idea, IMO, given that though there’s a need there are other ways to resolve the issue as well as it’s clearly against C of C.

Much easier to contact AA at 800-433-7300. Read here about AA’s cognitive and developmental assistance services.

My spouse has cognitive impairment (from Alzheimer’s disease) and AA have been most helpful in every instance.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:16 pm

WOW a link that is totally worthless except to tell you that you may need to hire someone to tag along the entire trip or pay extra for other services. NO THANK YOU!

Originally Posted by JDiver
Not the greatest idea, IMO, given that though there’s a need there are other ways to resolve the issue as well as it’s clearly against C of C.

Much easier to contact AA at 800-433-7300. Read here about AA’s cognitive and developmental assistance services.

My spouse has cognitive impairment (from Alzheimer’s disease) and AA have been most helpful in every instance.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:04 pm
JBD

Requesting wheelchair assistance after ticketing

I made an award booking for 2 pax, myself and my 90yr old Dad. When entering his info into the passenger details I was asked if he required assistance, but I wasn't sure what my Dad wanted and assumed I'd be able to access that option after I secured the reservation, so I left it blank.

He does want the wheelchair assistance but I can't see a way to add the request directly into the online booking. Is there a way for me to do it or do I now need to call and have an AA rep manually add the request?

TIA
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If assistance wasn’t requested during booking, it must be reqypuested by calling (see the Wikipost).

Once it has been booked I don’t think there’s a way to verify the request in aa.com until a boarding pass is printable. AA is pretty good about special assistance requests, lest they fall afoul of the Air Carrier Access Act.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:52 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by JDiver
If assistance wasn’t requested during booking, it must be reqypuested by calling (see the Wikipost).

Once it has been booked I don’t think there’s a way to verify the request in aa.com until a boarding pass is printable. AA is pretty good about special assistance requests, lest they fall afoul of the Air Carrier Access Act.
Thanks for moving my post JDiver (I did a search but for some reason didn't come across this master thd), and thanks for the info, much obliged.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Thanks for all the information in this thread. My parents in their mid 80s are still in good shape and traveling but need assistance to get to the gate..its good to have all of this in one place
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:02 pm

How does boarding and disembarking from an AA 738 F at BUR work for an own-wheelchair passenger who can’t handle any stairs? Is it via some exposed (and perhaps scary) lift through the 1R galley?

Is boarding and disembarking from an AA CR9 F at SBA easy peasy for an own-wheelchair passenger?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
My mom and my aunt travelled yesterday, both needing wheelchair assistance to/from the gate (they can walk short distances). At DFW they had an almost 2 hour connection, but there were issues with the assistance. First, only one wheelchair was sent for them (under my mom's name), even though their record very specifically showed that both of them needed wheelchair. Instead of calling for another wheelchair, they called for a cart, which they had to wait 30 minutes for, then they had to wait for multiple elevators, switch carts on the bridges, etc. Even with their lengthy connection time they only made it to their next gate after boarding had already started. Then on arrival, again only one wheelchair was sent, this time for my aunt. Not a stellar day for handicapped assistance.

Per a question above, once you've requested wheelchair assistance, the record will show exactly what assistance is requested so you can verify that the correct assistance is requested.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And Monday I had my own fun with wheelchair assistance at DFW. On arrival there was a wheelchair waiting but no one to push it. After 45 minutes (and me sending a tweet to AA), the pilot pushed me up the jetbridge himself to get me out of the heat, but it was another 20 minutes before anyone arrived to push me anywhere. The pilot himself commented on how bad the wheelchair service is at DFW, as did the people in the lounge once I finally got there.

One positive is someone from AA reached out to me to discuss the issue and seemed to take it seriously.

All this being said I would give yourself extra time when using wheelchair assistance, especially at DFW.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:39 am

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but seemed like the best place.

I'm in a bit of a weird situation. I'm booked on BA metal to fly LHR-LAX in Y on 27th September, but barring a miracle I am expecting this flight to be cancelled because of the BA pilot strikes, and hopefully will know by this Friday coming (13th Sept). I am fully expecting the nearest available flight for them to book me on to be AA109 LHR-LAX on the 27th which is down as a 77W.

I suffer with ME/CFS and as a result I have to book assistance. I currently travel with my partner who is technically my safety assistant. Normally I just phone BA after I book, explain my condition and they sit us together no questions asked near the lavatories, as close to the exit doors as possible so I don't have to walk very far, plus I can't climb over . I also get to preboard in order to give me extra time to get to my seat from the gate.

I've been doing research into the flights that BA might move us to because of the strike and their special assistance policies, and am wondering will AA be able to arrange seats for us to sit together like BA do that will cover all of my needs? A check on ExpertFlyer indicates that this flight is looking very full already with all non-MCE seats taken bar the odd single middle seat. Obviously these would be unsuitable as I wouldn't be able to sit next to my safety assistant. The only seats that I can see that would be suitable are 33D/E but these seem to be MCE and I can't tell from ExpertFlyer if these are Bulkhead or Exit Row (naturally I am ineligible for Exit Row). Would AA allow disabled pax to sit in MCE seats without paying?

Also, my safety assistant has a nut allergy and I couldn't find out how to order a peanut free meal for her?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old May 13, 2021, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sadly, I cannot report that DFW wheelchair services have improved since my posts above back in 2019. Flying yesterday into DFW, they only sent one wheelchair attendant to meet a flight - for 4 wheelchairs. Then after we all finally got to the lounge, when it was time to go to our next gate, despite multiple calls, they couldn't get a cart or assistant to come take my mother to the gate. At one point an empty cart was there plus two wheelchair attendants, and all of them refused to help my mother but instead drove/walked off. On one of the phone calls, the AC agent was told "you can talk to our supervisor, but nobody tells us what to do. We do what we want." My stubborn mother ended up walking to the gate because she refused to miss the flight - she is hurting today.
Old May 13, 2021, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
Sadly, I cannot report that DFW wheelchair services have improved since my posts above back in 2019. Flying yesterday into DFW, they only sent one wheelchair attendant to meet a flight - for 4 wheelchairs. Then after we all finally got to the lounge, when it was time to go to our next gate, despite multiple calls, they couldn't get a cart or assistant to come take my mother to the gate. At one point an empty cart was there plus two wheelchair attendants, and all of them refused to help my mother but instead drove/walked off. On one of the phone calls, the AC agent was told "you can talk to our supervisor, but nobody tells us what to do. We do what we want." My stubborn mother ended up walking to the gate because she refused to miss the flight - she is hurting today.
There are major staffing issues in all hub airports across the country in regards to disability services. The contractors simply cannot get employees because they are making equal or more money on unemployment and/or the employers are not paying enough to make the child care expenses worthwhile. For example, AA's contractor in CLT is fully staffed at 300 employees; right now they have around 45 despite heavy recruiting attempts. You experience is probably less of a reflection upon AA or DFW but of the labor market right now.
Old May 13, 2021, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dls25
There are major staffing issues in all hub airports across the country in regards to disability services. The contractors simply cannot get employees because they are making equal or more money on unemployment and/or the employers are not paying enough to make the child care expenses worthwhile. For example, AA's contractor in CLT is fully staffed at 300 employees; right now they have around 45 despite heavy recruiting attempts. You experience is probably less of a reflection upon AA or DFW but of the labor market right now.
We were more frustrated by the "We do what we want" and the fact that there were attendants there yet they refused to help us. And I had almost the exact same thing happen in Sept 2019, so COVID shouldn't be used as an excuse. And it was made more obvious as to how bad it was by how well my mother was taken care of at every other airport this trip.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 1:47 am

Programs: AA Platinum
All my current open AA reservations in the App now say "Request Wheelchair" just below my name/seat assignment when I open the reservation. Did I possibly hit something to indicate I need a wheelchair or does anyone know if this just a new update where AA is making requesting a wheelchair easier? I asked an agent while on the phone to change one of my reservations and they were of no help.

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
All my current open AA reservations in the App now say "Request Wheelchair" just below my name/seat assignment when I open the reservation. Did I possibly hit something to indicate I need a wheelchair or does anyone know if this just a new update where AA is making requesting a wheelchair easier? I asked an agent while on the phone to change one of my reservations and they were of no help.

Thanks
I believe it's a new update, so you no longer have to call in, as I've seen it on family member's reservations who have never needed wheelchair assistance.
happiest_at_40000 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.