Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: DL to offer all IFE for free to all pax. Will AA follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle

AA followed DL's lead and decided to re-offer comped snacks to all pax. Now DL will offer all IFE to everyone...

Delta Becomes First US Airline To Offer All In-Flight Entertainment For Free

AA has got a ton of catch-up to do with DL in terms of even having personal IFE, but it would be an incredible boast to pax morale if this was all comped even if you are in back.

Will AA offer all comped IFE too?
------------
UPDATE: As of 6/6/2016, no. - United & American – No Plans to Match Delta’s New Free In-Flight Entertainment Policy

Last edited by Oakshadow; Jun 5, 2016 at 5:01 pm
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:43 pm

Well considering it was done on DL first, just a matter of time
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I hope so, their domestic eco IFE selection is garbage.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I will just add that I am excited that DL keeps making small positive changes all of the time. Sure, they have some elite FF unfriendly stuff going on (C+ upgrades), but these changes (like the snack and removing call center booking fees) is leaving AA a bit unsure how to react.

AA can copy, but in the example of the call center fee, AA likely feels that it is missing something or a threat to revenue and doesn't understands DL's research.

I've dreaded the sameness now that we have so few major domestic carriers (the copycat RDM is particularly the worse example of DL innovation with no innovation from others), but DL has been working their angle because it probably does realize there is no distinction in pricing, so what else can there be?

Rasheed
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
<redacted>

Originally Posted by rasheed
I will just add that I am excited that DL keeps making small positive changes all of the time. Sure, they have some elite FF unfriendly stuff going on (C+ upgrades), but these changes (like the snack and removing call center booking fees) is leaving AA a bit unsure how to react.
The decimation to the FFP that DL has led far outweighs any marginal benefit from "small positive changes" on things like IFE and biscoffs.

All the IFE I need or want on any domestic flight is the book in my backpack. Make the wifi free and I might notice. Movies and TV - meh!

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 3, 2016 at 8:36 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
AA followed DL's lead and decided to re-offer comped snacks to all pax. Now DL will offer all IFE to everyone...

Delta Becomes First US Airline To Offer All In-Flight Entertainment For Free

AA has got a ton of catch-up to do with DL in terms of even having personal IFE, but it would be an incredible boast to pax morale if this was all comped even if you are in back.

Will AA offer all comped IFE too?
Oh god, this is an advertisement for OMAAT!!!!!
Old Jun 3, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by hiima
I hope so, their domestic eco IFE selection is garbage.
How so?
I was recently on a A319 (IFE only available via streaming) and they had all the recent blockbusters and some more.
Not bad (unless you are expecting them to have that obscure indie-japanese film).
Of course, each title was $4.95 and up.

If they offer free stuff, how free would it be? Only some featured films free and then the rest for pay?
How is delta doing it?

I am not sure if I prefer a free crappy selection of movies or are more varied one for pay.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Does DL have screens installed in front of every seat to offer IFE? Or is it done thru streaming content to passengers' own devices?

Last edited by grrizzli; Jun 3, 2016 at 9:18 pm
Old Jun 3, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
AA followed DL's lead and decided to re-offer comped snacks to all pax.
When/where was that announced or are you just referring to EXP benefits?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
I thought AA already announced that most of their IFE would be complimentary? Along with the announcements of "meals" on DFW-Hawaii and such?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Oh god, this is an advertisement for OMAAT!!!!!
Here's the Press Release itself.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The DL 738, 739s and some of the 757s have in seat screens. I don't know about widebodies but I would assume the same on most, if not all, of those a/c. Not sure if DL is retrofitting the 319/320s

If AA is willing to follow the lead and hand out little bags of pretzels I guess AA will also provide free IFE on AVOD 738s, LAA 321s and 319s in Y. Of course all LUS a/c, MD80s, older 738s, 757s, and 763s there is nothing in Y so it only impacts a smaller amount of the fleet.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA
My issue with AA's IFE is that the in-seat screens have a MUCH wider selection of free content than the streaming service. So if you're stuck in LUS aircraft, sure you have streaming entertainment, but the free selection is crap compared to the in-seat TVs.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The DL 738, 739s and some of the 757s have in seat screens. I don't know about widebodies but I would assume the same on most, if not all, of those a/c. Not sure if DL is retrofitting the 319/320s

If AA is willing to follow the lead and hand out little bags of pretzels I guess AA will also provide free IFE on AVOD 738s, LAA 321s and 319s in Y. Of course all LUS a/c, MD80s, older 738s, 757s, and 763s there is nothing in Y so it only impacts a smaller amount of the fleet.
DL is retrofitting all domestic mainline narrowbody aircraft to have in-seat IFE (as well as Live TV -- big advantage over AA), with the exception of the Boeing 717s. Not sure what's going to happen with the new C Series aircraft.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
AA followed DL's lead and decided to re-offer comped snacks to all pax.
Originally Posted by burtonmadness
When/where was that announced or are you just referring to EXP benefits?

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...eb-2016-a.html.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.