Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: DL to offer all IFE for free to all pax. Will AA follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: DL to offer all IFE for free to all pax. Will AA follow?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
A tablet stand or mount would come in handy on those flights that don't have IFE screens. Usually the resolution of the seatback screens is pretty crappy, and how often does the system need a "re-boot"?

Delta is killing it on the amenities front. I don't think Parker is the guy to recognize the value though.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I remember a while ago, Jetblue used to offer free IFE to everyone. Did they stop doing that and now DL is the only airline offering free IFE to all passengers?
Old Jun 4, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I remember a while ago, Jetblue used to offer free IFE to everyone. Did they stop doing that and now DL is the only airline offering free IFE to all passengers?
AFAIK, Jetblue's entertainment works the same as it always has: free DirectTv and SiriusXM for all. Movies are $5 each domestically, free on flights outside the US (where the DirectTV stops working, I believe).
Old Jun 4, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by ESpen36
That's a great idea! 80% of people are too cheap to pay even $1 extra, or don't want to bother with a credit card, so that will weed out the moochers.
I actually would like if they charged a bit more.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Most movies bore me. The only time I actually watch movies is when I fly. I can't think of much out there that I would pay $10 to watch in theaters. I'd rather have something like Direct TV.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by hiima
I actually would like if they charged a bit more.

I would gladly pay $5 or so for a standard domestic flight. Gogo's prices are much too high for the service provided, in my opinion.

(Consider that you can get WiFi on the 16.5-hour DFW-HKG flight for $19!!! And service works except over China and extreme polar routings, so you get about 14 hours of connectivity on a typical flight.)
Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Gogo's prices are much too high for the service provided, in my opinion.
I agree. There's a certain price I would pay for internet in the air...but the current prices, are a definite no-no for my wallet. If Gogo gets enough customers at their current prices, then, I guess they have priced it right. For me though, they've priced their product out of my price range for its value.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I find that the value of Gogo really depends on how many folks are on the plane using wifi. Everyone is trying to drink from the same straw and more demand taxes throughput speed. If everyone played with their own tablets and the like or watched free streaming video provided on the plane, those that want (or need wifi) would be better off. This might also be part of Gogo's pricing strategy. Those who are price insensitive will pay; those who are price sensitive won't.

Then again, the simple answer on "paying" is to buy day passes in advance. $16.00 works out to $3.20 per hour on a transcon flight. If I can get even 3 hours of client work done on a 5 hour flight, I've gotten a pretty good ROI.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Everyone is trying to drink from the same straw and more demand taxes throughput speed.
The move from ground based ATG/ATG-4 to satellite Ku and 2Ku wifi is going to make a bid difference in bandwidth. How fast AA (and DL) make that upgrade remains to be seen.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Well my question, for now at least, has been answered ...
United & American – No Plans to Match Delta’s New Free In-Flight Entertainment Policy

"American Airlines as of today plans to continue charging economy passengers for access to select entertainment, a spokeswoman said."
Shocker!
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I get the feeling that the rate of purchases for movies on DL domestic was so low the revenue being forgone was fairly immaterial (of course older movies are free and I often just watched those or sometimes when I am stuck in Y on AA). Unlike years back airlines are not in desperate financial straits hence no need to go looking for any speck of additional revenue. Unless AA is generating sizable revenue from paid movie flights on narrow body a/c I assume eventually AA will go the way of DL.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Well my question, for now at least, has been answered ...
United & American – No Plans to Match Delta’s New Free In-Flight Entertainment Policy

"American Airlines as of today plans to continue charging economy passengers for access to select entertainment, a spokeswoman said."
Shocker!
Fly LAX-MIA on the 77W, 100% free IFE in economy.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
AA has zero IFE on most domestic flights, unless your count their magazine. So kind of hard to make it any more free for them. They do have their spotty internet, but I doubt they will give that away.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
AA has zero IFE on most domestic flights, unless your count their magazine. So kind of hard to make it any more free for them. They do have their spotty internet, but I doubt they will give that away.
What about the in-seat audio entertainment on LAA aircraft? It's not much but it does count as IFE.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
Just about every narrow body mainline AA plane has locally-hosted streaming content at this point, and I know it would require a dramatically different contract with GoGo or a delivery mechanism that AA had more control over for that to be economically feasible, but they could always go fee-free in that arena.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.