When can and can't you deplane?

Old May 29, 16, 11:46 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Posts: 3,792
When can and can't you deplane?

This morning on an Eagle/Express (i.e., regional carrier) flight, one of my traveling companion's bags was taken from her "because it won't fit on the plane", a CRJ900. We were seated together (in first class) and the bag would easily fit under the seat in front of us, so I stepped forward to get it back.

"Sir, the bag's already been taken off the plane. You can't get off the plane to get it back", even though it was still there on the jetbridge, 10 feet from the entrance.

Later, the same flight attendant announced, as usual, "If you don't wish to travel to XYZ, now's the time to deplane."

So...when can you deplane and when can't you? It's not allowed to just reach off the plane to pick up something on the jetbridge?

Thanks.
ibrandsguest is offline  
Old May 29, 16, 12:13 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Programs: AAdvantage PP
Posts: 13,146
Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post
This morning on an Eagle/Express (i.e., regional carrier) flight, one of my traveling companion's bags was taken from her "because it won't fit on the plane", a CRJ900. We were seated together (in first class) and the bag would easily fit under the seat in front of us, so I stepped forward to get it back.

"Sir, the bag's already been taken off the plane. You can't get off the plane to get it back", even though it was still there on the jetbridge, 10 feet from the entrance.

Later, the same flight attendant announced, as usual, "If you don't wish to travel to XYZ, now's the time to deplane."

So...when can you deplane and when can't you? It's not allowed to just reach off the plane to pick up something on the jetbridge?

Thanks.
Yes the FA seemed to be on a power trip. In the latter, I can only assume that its used for people (not very bright ones) that somehow got on the wrong flight, and maybe to a lesser extent, someone that for whatever reason didn't need to or want to go to their destination. Furthermore, it would be deplaning and having the GA actually take one off the flight.
MiamiAirport Formerly NY George is offline  
Old May 29, 16, 12:16 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Posts: 3,792
Thanks. The FA's power trip resulted in no Above and Beyond certificate being given despite the flight otherwise being excellent.
ibrandsguest is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 2:13 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 5,052
Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post
This morning on an Eagle/Express (i.e., regional carrier) flight, one of my traveling companion's bags was taken from her "because it won't fit on the plane", a CRJ900. We were seated together (in first class) and the bag would easily fit under the seat in front of us, so I stepped forward to get it back.

"Sir, the bag's already been taken off the plane. You can't get off the plane to get it back", even though it was still there on the jetbridge, 10 feet from the entrance.

Later, the same flight attendant announced, as usual, "If you don't wish to travel to XYZ, now's the time to deplane."

So...when can you deplane and when can't you? It's not allowed to just reach off the plane to pick up something on the jetbridge?

Thanks.
So you're complaining that the FA avoided a dragged out fight over your disagreement that the bag needed to be checked?


Seems like the FA was perfectly reasonable. There was deplaning allowed for one specific reason- people onboard the wrong flight. That's a reason that AA (and most people of common sense) will excuse potential delay of a flight. Your DYKWIA-ish behavior having obviously not acted very quickly if the bag had already been taken off the aircraft in a desire to avoid the indignity of baggage claim, after a FA had already determined the bag needed to be checked and you wanted to second guess her, is not a reason to risk delaying a flight.
Of course if you wanted to deplane and not get on board, you could have done that. "I just wanted to reach out the door of an aircraft." Seriously?


the only unreasonable thing here to me is your comparison of two entirely dissimilar things.
Adam1222 is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 2:34 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Posts: 3,792
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
So you're complaining that the FA avoided a dragged out fight over your disagreement that the bag needed to be checked?


Seems like the FA was perfectly reasonable. There was deplaning allowed for one specific reason- people onboard the wrong flight. That's a reason that AA (and most people of common sense) will excuse potential delay of a flight. Your DYKWIA-ish behavior having obviously not acted very quickly if the bag had already been taken off the aircraft in a desire to avoid the indignity of baggage claim, after a FA had already determined the bag needed to be checked and you wanted to second guess her, is not a reason to risk delaying a flight.
Of course if you wanted to deplane and not get on board, you could have done that. "I just wanted to reach out the door of an aircraft." Seriously?


the only unreasonable thing here to me is your comparison of two entirely dissimilar things.
Classic Internet "let's make up a fight for no reason": attributing something to the OP that the OP never said, did or thought.

When did I EVER disagree about the bag? When did I EVER mention my name, elite status, fare, etc.? (Hint: never.)

All I asked about was why I wasn't allowed to simply get a bag back when it turned out that it fit and it was sitting 10 feet from the exit.

I was given the bag back very quickly, just after boarding started, and we stored it under the seat in front of us. Problem resolved. Post #2 was very helpful.
ibrandsguest is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 2:42 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 48,093
OP - You are splitting hairs. In the first instance, it seems obvious that the FA wasn't telling you that you could not offload, but rather that you would not be permitted to offload then board again. In the latter announcement, the standard one for AA, you were advised that you could offload. It went without saying that if you didn't want to travel you wouldn't want to board again anyway.

As to the underlying incident, it was simply mishandled. Once the decision was made by AA to require your friend to gate check the bag, it wasn't for you to unilaterally change the decision. If you wanted a change, the right thing to have done was to have asked the FA whether it was OK.
Often1 is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 2:43 pm
  #7  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 11,853
Were there other passengers still coming on when you spotted the bag in the jetway but you were told by the FA you couldn't go get it?

If so, why not just ask someone else to bring it to you?

Last edited by aztimm; May 30, 16 at 4:02 pm
aztimm is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 2:50 pm
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atherton, CA
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Posts: 21,693
Cool

Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post
Classic Internet "let's make up a fight for no reason": attributing something to the OP that the OP never said, did or thought.

When did I EVER disagree about the bag? When did I EVER mention my name, elite status, fare, etc.? (Hint: never.)

All I asked about was why I wasn't allowed to simply get a bag back when it turned out that it fit and it was sitting 10 feet from the exit.

I was given the bag back very quickly, just after boarding started, and we stored it under the seat in front of us. Problem resolved. Post #2 was very helpful.
You seem to be picking a fight over a strange hypothetical with info left out of your OP.

You can get off the plane at any time before takeoff, but you'll usually lose your ticket and risk being fired as a customer by the airline.

They can't force you to fly.
Doc Savage is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 2:59 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Posts: 3,792
DocSavage, thanks- your post answers the question.

Adam above is the one picking a fight; it's classic Internet trolling to go around, making up things that aren't in someone's post, and then attack the person for them. My third post includes nothing about the experience that was left out of my first post. If you're referring to me asking about getting off, that was just a description of my first post.

aztimm, good point. Some people were still coming on board. I think that there was a lull in the passengers coming down at the exact moment, and I didn't think about asking someone else anyhow.
ibrandsguest is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 4:26 pm
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 27,734
Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post
...it's classic Internet trolling to go around..
Well demonstrated.
JonNYC is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 4:56 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LAX
Posts: 2,719
Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post
Adam above is the one picking a fight;
He's right about the asking though.

We've all been on flights where disproportionate chaos develops because one or two pax decided to do the opposite what they're supposed to do. The FA doesn't know you. When you do something that's not part of the normal flow, and you don't tell them what you want or why, then the natural inclination is to say "no" pending further information.

It seems like once you told them what you wanted, they were more or less fine with it--you got the bag back.
lobo411 is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 5:10 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 5,052
Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post

I was given the bag back very quickly, just after boarding started, and we stored it under the seat in front of us. Problem resolved. Post #2 was very helpful.
You omitted this extremely relevant fact that changes the situation drastically, giving you even less of a leg to stand on in a complaint. Seeing as how your initial post complained about poor FA service, and then you followed up with a reference to the "FA's Power Trip", I stand by my initial response. Post #2 wasn't "helpful" -- it agreed with your worldview based on incomplete information.

As for your statement that you never disagreed with the FA, of course you did.
"one of my traveling companion's bags was taken from her "because it won't fit on the plane"
And then you insisted it did fit on the plane.

Several have now agreed with me that you left out information, and that you clearly were trying to make a point that the FA was wrong and disagreed with you.

It is not trolling to make substantive criticism of a post someone makes on a discussion forum. You are not entitled to post about a situation and have no one disagree with the way you conducted yourself in it. Classic labeling of "trolling" when someone says something you disagree with. When lots of people agree that you were in the wrong for expecting to be able to deplane and then comparing it to an inapt situation, please refrain from accusing someone of being a troll.
Adam1222 is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 7:37 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Posts: 3,792
Adam, again: stop the trolling.

Read my post #1. All I asked was a specific question in the last full sentence of the post. That has been answered.

Despite your ramblings, and to the contrary of what you claim, I did not ask (1) about complaining, (2) whether or not the FA was in the right or not, (3) anything that would have delayed the flight, particularly as I had a tight connection or (4) anything at all in connection with my identity, elite status, fare paid, etc.

If you would read my posts before trolling, you'd have seen that I specifically stated that the flight was otherwise excellent and I would have given the FA an A&B certificate but for the bag issue.

I have a general self-imposed rule of not responding to people such as you: Internet trolls who simply make up statements and then pick fights on you. I fell down on the job and didn't follow that rule, but I am, going forward, so end of discussion with you.

Everyone else, including people who disagreed with my questions and/or actions, thank you.
ibrandsguest is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 8:06 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOS/UTH
Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Posts: 12,600
Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post
I was given the bag back very quickly, just after boarding started, and we stored it under the seat in front of us. Problem resolved.
Any particular reason that you omitted this from your original post? And I don't understand, -- "... just after boarding started ..."? When did you board? If you got the bag back "just after boarding started," it doesn't sound as though you[r friend] was without it for more than a few seconds. What am I missing here?


Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
You omitted this extremely relevant fact that changes the situation drastically, giving you even less of a leg to stand on in a complaint. ... You are not entitled to post about a situation[,] ...
... omit crucial information which changes the situation substantially, and then expect people just to jump on your bandwagon. I've learned over the years that FT has a ton of good people who are always willing to help, with creative ideas, approaches and solutions. But you have to tell us everything, or people can get fairly testy, as you have seen. The general feeling, as I, myself, experienced reading this thread, is, "Why didn't you tell us the whole story up front?" You will find that you are not being singled out; this happens from time to time.
Dr. HFH is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 8:18 pm
  #15  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 27,734
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
Any particular reason that you omitted this from your original post? And I don't understand, -- "... just after boarding started ..."? When did you board? If you got the bag back "just after boarding started," it doesn't sound as though you[r friend] was without it for more than a few seconds. What am I missing here?


... omit crucial information which changes the situation substantially, and then expect people just to jump on your bandwagon. I've learned over the years that FT has a ton of good people who are always willing to help, with creative ideas, approaches and solutions. But you have to tell us everything, or people can get fairly testy, as you have seen. The general feeling, as I, myself, experienced reading this thread, is, "Why didn't you tell us the whole story up front?" You will find that you are not being singled out; this happens from time to time.
agree 100%
JonNYC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: