Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus (EI) flights on aa.com (May 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus (EI) flights on aa.com (May 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
And AB is about the only option. I'm comparing that to Star which gave you: Lufthansa, Swiss, Brussels, Austrian, LOT, Aegean, and (arguably) Turkish.

With the exception of AirBerlin (which is not on the best financial footing), all of the other EU 1W members are on the periphery of the continent (England, Finland, Spain).
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by akcae
AB flies to AA hubs at ORD (from TXL), MIA (from TXL and DUS), JFK (from TXL and DUS), LAX (from DUS).

They also fly to RSW, which isn't a hub, but a leisure destination (and only about 2hr drive from MIA).

AA flies its hub at ORD to AB's hub at DUS (seasonally). It also flies to AB's focus cities from PHL (MUC and ZRH) and JFK (ZRH).

While not as extensive of a network as some other destinations, this is pretty robust use of an alliance partner for AA's customers to connect onwards to numerous secondary and tertiary European destinations AB serves. This is, after all, the purpose of an alliance, n'est-ce pas?
To me, this is AB taking advantage of the AA connections within the US. However, I'd still like to see AA take advantage of AB's connections in Europe and add flights from their hubs to DUS & TXL. Just having 1 seasonal flight to DUS is a disappointment to me.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
To me, this is AB taking advantage of the AA connections within the US. However, I'd still like to see AA take advantage of AB's connections in Europe and add flights from their hubs to DUS & TXL. Just having 1 seasonal flight to DUS is a disappointment to me.
I agree, I would love for AA to strengthen their EU routes on their own metal.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
And AB is about the only option. I'm comparing that to Star which gave you: Lufthansa, Swiss, Brussels, Austrian, LOT, Aegean, and (arguably) Turkish.

With the exception of AirBerlin (which is not on the best financial footing), all of the other EU 1W members are on the periphery of the continent (England, Finland, Spain).
Spain and England on the periphery. Hmm. How does that matter when European distances are relatively short and both are closer to North America than most European destinations?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by JDiver
Spain and England on the periphery. Hmm. How does that matter when European distances are relatively short and both are closer to North America than most European destinations?
My thoughts too -- if I'm flying in from North America, Spain/England/Finland/Germany are all on the way in some manner to other parts of EU, so not sure that their geographical position poses any kind of inconvenience to connecting.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by akcae
My thoughts too -- if I'm flying in from North America, Spain/England/Finland/Germany are all on the way in some manner to other parts of EU, so not sure that their geographical position poses any kind of inconvenience to connecting.
If AA also connected to AB's hubs, it would give people more options for connections, some with probably more convenient schedules for individuals than others. In addition, adding in AB's hubs would add a few more dots to the map that can be booked on one ticket easily via AA.com (assuming AA adds them as codeshares).
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
30" pitch in intra-Europe J on BA, for starters... Even an extra 45 minutes matters when the difference is between 30" and even old angle-flat 767 service.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

Have there been any updates with regards earning AAmiles on EI?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by burtonmadness
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

Have there been any updates with regards earning AAmiles on EI?
No updates on oneworld rejoining or AA codesharing at this time.

Bloomberg, 10 Feb 2017 (link):

Plans for Ireland’s Aer Lingus to join Oneworld after its purchase by BA owner International Consolidated Airlines Group SA provide an opportunity for the alliance to simplify the process for integrating new members, he said, though the timing is a matter for IAG and “scoping work” hasn’t yet started.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 10, 2017 at 11:29 pm
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
Pricing a trip to SFO-LHR, and google.com/flights is pricing SFO-LHR (codeshare aa) and, LHR-DUB-SFO (codeshare BA, EI metal).

Any ideas what that will be EQM/EQD wise since BA codeshare on EI yet purchased on aa.com?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by burtonmadness
Pricing a trip to SFO-LHR, and google.com/flights is pricing SFO-LHR (codeshare aa) and, LHR-DUB-SFO (codeshare BA, EI metal).

Any ideas what that will be EQM/EQD wise since BA codeshare on EI yet purchased on aa.com?
You won't be earning anything AA on a BA codeshare operated by a non-oneworld carrier, regardless of where it's purchased.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I know this is an old thread, but for me, the value of a more favorable geographic positioning of a hub in the European continent is intra-European travel. Travel within the continent once I'm already there is much easier when connecting via one of the many *A hubs versus the OW ones. In the same way that CX and MH are very useful to travel within Asia and Southeast Asia, whereas JL is less useful for intra-Asian connections as Japan (and NRT) is just further north.

Many of my trips to Europe and Asia are not just to one destination; I'm often traveling to three or even four cities/countries, and easy connections within the continent are a plus.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
There has been some speculation on the BA forum that EI rejoining OW is a not question of when but if, and that AA has some sway.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
In the interim I believe this to be the case: if you fly DUB-LHR on BA metal sold as BA, your OW perks are honored. For example, Emeralds can get into the DUB T1 lounge even a cheap ticket. However, if you fly DUB-LHR on EI, your OW perks are not honored even if your flight is sold as BA. Forget, therefore, the EI lounge at DUB T2.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by ccengct
In the interim I believe this to be the case: if you fly DUB-LHR on BA metal sold as BA, your OW perks are honored. For example, Emeralds can get into the DUB T1 lounge even a cheap ticket. However, if you fly DUB-LHR on EI, your OW perks are not honored even if your flight is sold as BA. Forget, therefore, the EI lounge at DUB T2.
This isn't the interim, this is the status quo as it has been for the last 10 years... in fact, just take out the city pairs and the post is axiomatic (altered slightly for terminology reasons): if you fly ... on a BA marketed and operated flight, your OW perks are honoured. However, if you fly ... on EI metal, your OW perks are not honoured even if your flight is a BA codeshare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.