Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: Child “car” seat or safety restraint / harness on AA (not OK in oblique seats)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Child Safety Seats & Restraints on American Airlines
See aa.com here.

For discussion about AA and infant / lap child fares, see here.

For discussion of baby bassinets, see here.

Acceptable child restraint / harness

Only approved harnesses are Aviation Child Safety Devices (ACSD) showing the FAA aircraft approval label, such as the CARES child safety harness (link); these are not approved for oblique / angled seats (see below).

The CARES child safety harness is for children weighing between 22 and 44 lbs, up to 40 inches tall and occupying their own seat.

Acceptable safety seats

Most safety seats that are approved for use in motor vehicles are acceptable for use in aircraft, but must be approved for aviation use according to the label. The seat must have a solid back and seat, restraint straps installed to securely hold the child and a label indicating approval for use on an aircraft.

The label may include:
  • These notes: “This child restraint system conforms to all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards” and “this restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircrafts” or “this restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft.”
  • Approval of a foreign government or a label showing that the seat was manufactured under the standards of the United Nations.

Safety seat requirements
  • The safety seat can't be used in an exit row or in the rows on either side of an exit row.

• Install the seat in the direction appropriate for the size of the child and according to the instructions on the label.

• The child must remain in the safety seat with the harness fastened during taxi, takeoff, landing and whenever the “fasten seatbelt” sign is on.

• To carry on a safety seat, you must have bought a seat for the child, or a seat must be available next to you. If an unoccupied, adjoining seat is not available, the gate agent will check the safety seat to your final destination.

Aircraft with Business seats not allowing safety seat or restraint use

FAA: "Several air carriers have installed, or plan to install, oblique seats (over an 18 degree angle and up to a 28 degree angle from the aircraft centerline) in their premium class cabins. However, the provisions of Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 91, § 91.107, part 121, § 121.311, part 125, § 125.211 and part 135, § 135.128 only allow CRSs to be secured to a forward-facing seat (seats that are installed up to an 18 degree angle from the aircraft centerline)."

"In the future, based on additional dynamic tesing data, the FAA may revise the current requirements. At this time, however, the use of a CRS in an oblique seat is not in compliance with FAA regulations, which require all FAA-approved CRSs be properly secured to an approved forward-facing seat or berth."
The FAA has not certified ANY car seat or child restraint system for use on oblique / angled seats. Link to FAA advice. Approved child safety seats CAN NOT be used in the oblique / angled Business seats on the following AA aircraft:

• Airbus A330-200 (or A330-300)

• Boeing 777-300ER ("77W")

• Boeing 777-200ER ("772") with all aisle access Business seats

• Boeing 787-8 or 787-9 aircraft

See this page. Under "Safety seat requirements" swipe or click on "View seat width dimensions". Business seats not certified for safety seats show thusly:

Swipe or click on manufacturer, e.g. Airbus

A330-200 Business class 20*/ 20.5" Main Cabin 238 / 16.3 - 17.8"

*Not forward facing seats and not authorized for child restraint systems

REASON: These seats do not face forward (they are oblique / at an angle to the fuselage center line); on at least some of these aircraft, forward facing seats are at an angle requiring supplemental shoulder belt restraints during taxi, takeoff and landing.

Print Wikipost

Guide: Child “car” seat or safety restraint / harness on AA (not OK in oblique seats)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by tpvn
that's great news! thanks!
out of curiosity, do you find your kids sleep easier with or without the car seat?
Just be aware of some aircraft not “STCd” for car seats; see the Wikipost at the top of the page.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
that's great news! thanks!
out of curiosity, do you find your kids sleep easier with or without the car seat?
We have always used the car seat for our child when we’re travelig with it and she has a seat (from first flight at 3 months to now at 4 years). When we didn’t buy her a seat, we always asked the gate agent if there was an empty seat next to us and if we could bring the car seat on board; the answer was yes about 50% of the time. It’s both safer and more comfortable, although never required. She definitely sleeps better in the car seat.

Note that for take off and landing, a lap infant must be held, not in any sort of carrier. So if she was nicely asleep in a carrier, we had to take her out for takeoff or landing, often waking her. Car seat avoids that issue, though of course we have to take her out for boarding/deplaning.

(Actually now we don't use the car seat in some cases; she’s big enough that she sometimes kicks the seat in front of her, and we think without really having checked the evidence that the safety benefit is smaller at this age. Obviously we try very hard to enforce the no kicking the seat rule, but she never kicks the seat when she can’t physically reach it! But this is not relevant for an 18 month old.)

Originally Posted by JDiver
Just be aware of some aircraft not “STCd” for car seats; see the Wikipost at the top of the page.
But no airplane that flies ORD-SNA has this issue (and it’s not an issue in coach on any AA plane); ORD-SNA is narrowbody only, and all AA narrowbodies have only forward-facing seats. Therefore, tpvn can use the car seat if they wish, assuming it’s approved for aviation use.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
First time travelling with my toddler (18months old) from ORD to SNA on AA. Bought a seat for her. My question is: am I required to have a car seat for her to sit on her own seat? Wife and I have been back and forth on whether to bring it on the airplane, so just check it. The nightmare would be her not liking it after like 5min on the airplane, then we have no way to store it after we remove it... Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.
If you want to do this, I recommend the CARES harness noted in the post above yours.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Delta Plat
Thanks JDiver, Ashill, and Deeruck for the info! We have the Britax for the car, but bought the widely recommended light weight Cosco Seneca for air travel. Sound like we will be carrying the Cosco on our ORD-SNA trip. It will be only 4 hours, so if our daughter becomes bored, I am sure we can find a way to entertain her. Also have a flight a month after that, ORD-CDG, which would be much longer, 9 hr, I believe. Does anyone have any experience with toddler utilizing the car seat that long? Would it be possible that they refuse to sit on it after a period of time? What would you do? Holding her / on lap for hours would suck!
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:22 am

Thanks JDiver, Ashill, and Deeruck for the info! We have the Britax for the car, but bought the widely recommended light weight Cosco Seneca for air travel. Sound like we will be carrying the Cosco on our ORD-SNA trip. It will be only 4 hours, so if our daughter becomes bored, I am sure we can find a way to entertain her. Also have a flight a month after that, ORD-CDG, which would be much longer, 9 hr, I believe. Does anyone have any experience with toddler utilizing the car seat that long? Would it be possible that they refuse to sit on it after a period of time? What would you do? Holding her / on lap for hours would suck!
Yes, we flew far longer flights (SYD-United States, as well as PHL-Europe). Obviously she didn’t spend the entire time in the car seat, but the long hauls where we had it were nicer than the ones where we didn’t. The airline-provided bassinet was annoying, partly because it was situated where lights distracted her and partly because at least on some airlines she had to come out when the seat belt sign went on. (I don’t remember if that was AA policy; I recall that either US airlines required kid out of bassinet and foreign airlines didn’t or vice versa; we flew long hauls on QF, DL, US/AA, VA [Virgin Australia], and BA, all in coach.)

18 months is a much more difficult age to fly with than 3-6 months because they require far more attention and of course are much bigger to hold in the lap. It is virtually certain that an 18-month-old will be in your lap for part of the flight whether or not you have a car seat on board. But it’s totally manageable and worth it!
deeruck likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ashill
<snip>
But no airplane that flies ORD-SNA has this issue (and it’s not an issue in coach on any AA plane); ORD-SNA is narrowbody only, and all AA narrowbodies have only forward-facing seats. Therefore, tpvn can use the car seat if they wish, assuming it’s approved for aviation use.
I mention the oblique seat issue because I never know if a member has other, different plans than they’ve mentioned.
deeruck likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by ashill

Yes, we flew far longer flights (SYD-United States, as well as PHL-Europe). Obviously she didn’t spend the entire time in the car seat, but the long hauls where we had it were nicer than the ones where we didn’t. The airline-provided bassinet was annoying, partly because it was situated where lights distracted her and partly because at least on some airlines she had to come out when the seat belt sign went on. (I don’t remember if that was AA policy; I recall that either US airlines required kid out of bassinet and foreign airlines didn’t or vice versa; we flew long hauls on QF, DL, US/AA, VA [Virgin Australia], and BA, all in coach.)

18 months is a much more difficult age to fly with than 3-6 months because they require far more attention and of course are much bigger to hold in the lap. It is virtually certain that an 18-month-old will be in your lap for part of the flight whether or not you have a car seat on board. But it’s totally manageable and worth it!
Yeah, she is just too big for bassinet at this point. I saw some of them on board while traveling solo for work, does not seem these are well liked, unless the little one is really little, like 3-6 months as you mentioned....
Only if we can find a way to store the car seat on board when the little one becomes sick of it, it would be perfect. But of course life never is.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:24 am

Only if we can find a way to store the car seat on board when the little one becomes sick of it, it would be perfect. But of course life never is.
I've never disconnected the car seat during flight; especially on a narrowbody, it's pretty unlikely you'll be able to find a place for it. But I also never had any desire to; the car seat is more comfortable for her than the regular seat anyway. And she'd want cuddles some of the time whether in the car seat or not.

In case you don't know, the car seat must be in a window seat on a narrowbody or in a window or inner seat in the middle part of a twin-aisle aircraft to avoid blocking emergency egress. So make sure you have a window seat and the adjacent middle, otherwise no car seat.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
i stumbled across this post as my wife is awaiting all passengers to finish boarding and they denied her use of a carseat for our 2 year old in business class on 787. We were apparently lucky that we could use it on the 772 aircraft several weeks ago. The fight attendant was quite rude about it though. It's not what you say, it's how you say it. If you say it in a condescending, rude, and arrogant way, it will be taken as such. My wife is traveling with our 3 kids and they only fly business class and while not the most traveled people on earth, the kids have been Platinum Pro or Executive Platinum since birth.

Anyway, some FAs are rude... and to be rude to a passenger is not a requirement. To be rude to a passenger who is only leg 2 of a 3 leg journey, lasting 24+ hours with 3 kids (2, 6, and 8 years old) is not necessary. This was already after the fact the gate agent was incredibly rude and would not allow my wife to inquire with the crew about storing the umbrella stroller in a closet. We have stored this stroller in closets on 773, and 772 on AA and 787, and 777 aircraft with UA. It fits in an overhead bin along with the 3 kids carry-on and tucks nicely in the back of nearly any closet onboard (without disturbing hanging clothes and the occasional crew bag stored in the back of the closet.

I find it completely unnecessary in a customer facing role to be rude. Yes, the job can be frustrating at times but kindness goes far. Being a ..... just makes your customer want to look elsewhere next time they spend 7k per person to fly in a metal tube.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by aragno
i stumbled across this post as my wife is awaiting all passengers to finish boarding and they denied her use of a carseat for our 2 year old in business class on 787.
My wife is traveling with our 3 kids
That's rough. Travelling multiple kids can be very challenging. Unfortunately, you aren't able to use any carseat or restraint system on oblique seats. I believe the FAA seats 17degrees as the limit. So effectively, PE and Y are quickly becoming the only options across the widebody fleet. At a glance, my guess is the 767 is the only model that would still allow a carseat.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.7M and counting slowly
Child travel safety harness - First Class 777-200

Greetings all --

Would anyone happen to know if the FAA-approved travel harness is able to be used on a 777-200 aircraft in First Class? The website only mentions safety seats are not permitted.

Many thanks,

SJUflyer
Old Aug 5, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: Several
I doubt it as the harness is designed to wrap around the back side of a seat. Since you’re referring to a lie-flat seat, you can not attach anything around the back of it. I’ve looked into this myself, but I haven’t tried it as I didn’t think it’d be successful.

I doubt an FA would allow you to try and rig it up around a seat like that, but YMMV.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
There isn’t first class in AA772 aircraft
cmd320 and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO; DL GLD
They're not allowed to be used in any seat that has the airbag seat belts.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
As stated, there is no more F on 772s, only J. There are two different types of J seats on AA's 772s and it's almost impossible to determine which you will be on before the plane pulls up to the gate.

As others have stated, these are all lie-flat seats, so they don't necessarily have the ability to wrap a harness around the back of them. Does AA require these harnesses be used during flight for children?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.